Some questions about outsider

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: Some questions about outsider

Post by Karst45 »

javcs wrote:Don't try to impose your views and morals on me.
That so ironic it funny! ;)

ed_montague wrote:the Francophone population of Canada has a rather interesting collection of curses, many of which are religious in nature.
You mean all of them right?

For French Canadian, if it not related to a religious symbol (or a modification of the word) it not a curse word.

Basically a Curse (like the word say) is suppose to have some "mythical/religious/spiritual" representation. For example, if you are damn-ing something

Shit and other sexual thing are considerate vulgar but are not curse. (sorry the explanation is kind of hard to translate)
javcs wrote:@Trantor, the in-universe description for why R2-D2 only speaks in beeps is stupid as hell.
what would be that explanation?

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:
ed_montague wrote:the Francophone population of Canada has a rather interesting collection of curses, many of which are religious in nature.
Yeah. That. Didn't want to make any hasty generalizations or anything, so I left it at that. My bad.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

javcs

Post by javcs »

Karst45 wrote:
javcs wrote:Don't try to impose your views and morals on me.
That so ironic it funny! ;)
?? I think I missed something here.
Karst45 wrote:
javcs wrote:@Trantor, the in-universe description for why R2-D2 only speaks in beeps is stupid as hell.
The in-universe explanation is that the R2 series (along with most other astromech droids) did not have the kind of full-function vocabulator that enables a droid to speak in languages other than the one dubbed 'binary' (it really isn't); instead, their vocabulator is limited in function, and only capable of generating 'binary'.
The problem is that when you look at the in-universe descriptions of the 'binary' language, one finds that if you're not a droid, you can neither speak it nor fully understand it (though you can get the general gist of what's being said), as 'binary' could accurately be described as a form of high-speed, high-density, sonic-based data transmission that covers a range that extends both above and below the normal auditory range. Which means that a vocabulator capable of generating 'binary' ought to be capable of handling just about any 'normal' auditory language.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

javcs wrote: ?? I think I missed something here.
Nevermind, i dont want to start a political stand-off. i tough you were joking but it seem not.
javcs wrote:
Karst45 wrote:
The in-universe explanation is that the R2 series (along with most other astromech droids) did not have the kind of full-function vocabulator that enables a droid to speak in languages other than the one dubbed 'binary' (it really isn't); instead, their vocabulator is limited in function, and only capable of generating 'binary'.
The problem is that when you look at the in-universe descriptions of the 'binary' language, one finds that if you're not a droid, you can neither speak it nor fully understand it (though you can get the general gist of what's being said), as 'binary' could accurately be described as a form of high-speed, high-density, sonic-based data transmission that covers a range that extends both above and below the normal auditory range. Which means that a vocabulator capable of generating 'binary' ought to be capable of handling just about any 'normal' auditory language.
Wouldn't be the first time they (author of show that become overwhelming popular to the point everyone dissect it) that they just give a random explanation just to satisfy the fan that don't want to hear (or accept) a simple: Because it cool/fun/more convenient) It like StarTrek teleporter. An overpowered technology that were just introduced to solve the "a shuttle landing scene is to expensive to make each time!" problem.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Karst45 wrote:
javcs wrote: ?? I think I missed something here.
Nevermind, i dont want to start a political stand-off. i tough you were joking but it seem not.
Nah, don't worry about it. Taking a closer look at it, I can see how you thought that.
Karst45 wrote:
javcs wrote:
Karst45 wrote: what would be that explanation?
Wouldn't be the first time they (author of show that become overwhelming popular to the point everyone dissect it) that they just give a random explanation just to satisfy the fan that don't want to hear (or accept) a simple: Because it cool/fun/more convenient) It like StarTrek teleporter. An overpowered technology that were just introduced to solve the "a shuttle landing scene is to expensive to make each time!" problem.
Well ... transporters in Trek aren't that super overpowered. At least, not normally. Besides, whenever they didn't want a problem easily fixable by proper application of transporter technology, they at least made a pretense for it not being available. Most of the really overpowered stuff tends to be found in the "tech of the week" classification.
Stargate had some of the same issues.
If something's a tech of the week, it's almost always both overpowered and immediately forgotten, by everyone.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

javcs wrote: That was considered violent content? What the hell's the world coming to? Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the whole genocidal mindsets that are going on, and how they're more or less completely justifiable in-universe. That is, of course, if I were concerned about any of it.
I think the current comic (aside perhaps from the profanity) could easily fit in a PG rating... but I fully expect to push the limits of PG-13, especially as regards graphic violence, over the life of the story. One of the limitations of the movie rating system as applied to comics is that in a movie, the intensity of violence or sexual imagery is directly related to how long it's on screen; Alien has some pretty grisly shots, but they're mostly just flashed past the viewer. But in a comic, if you draw a grisly panel, it's there for as long as the reader cares to stare at it. In a similar way, written profanity tends to have more impact than spoken profanity.

But don't worry that I will feel confined by some arbitrary rating when deciding exactly how to tell the story... I will do whatever seems appropriate at the time for the current page. The self-rating is just me trying to be a good citizen and give sensitive readers or parents appropriate warning about what they are likely to see.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Arioch wrote:
javcs wrote: That was considered violent content? What the hell's the world coming to? Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the whole genocidal mindsets that are going on, and how they're more or less completely justifiable in-universe. That is, of course, if I were concerned about any of it.
I think the current comic (aside perhaps from the profanity) could easily fit in a PG rating... but I fully expect to push the limits of PG-13, especially as regards graphic violence, over the life of the story. One of the limitations of the movie rating system as applied to comics is that in a movie, the intensity of violence or sexual imagery is directly related to how long it's on screen; Alien has some pretty grisly shots, but they're mostly just flashed past the viewer. But in a comic, if you draw a grisly panel, it's there for as long as the reader cares to stare at it. In a similar way, written profanity tends to have more impact than spoken profanity.

But don't worry that I will feel confined by some arbitrary rating when deciding exactly how to tell the story... I will do whatever seems appropriate at the time for the current page. The self-rating is just me trying to be a good citizen and give sensitive readers or parents appropriate warning about what they are likely to see.
Yay! He's actually going to update in the future! :o

I speak in jest. In all seriousness, I think I've fallen in love with this comic, and I doubt I'd be disturbed if you cranked up the rating a little bit. (The central premise is two vastly powerful alien species engaged in a war of extermination against each other with futuristic technology--kinda hard to go further from there, unless you were to explore the specifics of what Umiak weaponry do to Loroi or human bodies. Or vice versa.)

Why on earth isn't this more popular? I read the whole thing in one sitting, and am gladly awaiting future installments.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

ed_montague wrote:Yay! He's actually going to update in the future! :o
On a small side note: Don´t ever ask for updates. It´s cursed. Really. ;)
sapere aude.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Trantor wrote:
Don't even mention the U-word. Ever.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

javcs wrote:
Trantor wrote:
Don't even mention the U-word. Ever.
"Sir, we've received reports that somebody's mentioned updates on an internet forum pertaining to the science fiction webcomic Outsider!"
"Shut. Down. EVERYTHING."

Sorry. The memes get out when I'm not paying attention.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

ed_montague wrote:
javcs wrote:
Trantor wrote:On a small side note: Don´t ever ask for *******. It´s cursed. Really. ;)
Don't even mention the *******. Ever.
"Sir, we've received reports that somebody's mentioned ******* on an internet forum pertaining to the science fiction webcomic Outsider!"
"Shut. Down. EVERYTHING."
And NO jokes about the *******. Evvuurr!!

There´s a reason for this. Look at tha date of Page 1... ;)
sapere aude.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Trantor wrote:There´s a reason for this. Look at tha date of Page 1... ;)
Never before seen behind-the-scenes images! This one shows Arioch putting the finishing touches on what would later become the webcomic Outsider...

Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

javcs

Post by javcs »

Trantor wrote:
ed_montague wrote:[quote="javcs"[quote="Trantor"On a small side note: Don´t ever ask for *******. It´s cursed. Really. ;)
Don't even mention the *******. Ever.
"Sir, we've received reports that somebody's mentioned ******* on an internet forum pertaining to the science fiction webcomic Outsider!"
"Shut. Down. EVERYTHING."[/quote]
And NO jokes about the *******. Evvuurr!!

There´s a reason for this. Look at tha date of Page 1... ;)[/quote]
The above pertains to why Outsider lacks a wider fanbase.

Seriously. Don't. If you told the Joker about this, he would NOT ask you, "Why so serious?"
He'd go "Shit. That is serious."

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

javcs wrote:The above pertains to why Outsider lacks a wider fanbase.
Shhht. :o
sapere aude.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Karst45 wrote:

For French Canadian, if it not related to a religious symbol (or a modification of the word) it not a curse word.

Basically a Curse (like the word say) is suppose to have some "mythical/religious/spiritual" representation. For example, if you are damn-ing something

Shit and other sexual thing are considerate vulgar but are not curse. (sorry the explanation is kind of hard to translate)
Not really, it's just a more obscure (and restrictive) definition of the word in English. The definition is perfectly fine, it's just that the definition we normally use covers vulgar statements as well.
ed_montague wrote:Why on earth isn't this more popular? I read the whole thing in one sitting, and am gladly awaiting future installments.
A distinct lack of poorly-drawn couches, poorly-drawn gaming consoles, poorly-drawn clip-art, and boring jokes about recent games, are all big reasons.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

You know, it would be interesting to see Alex curse at something or another (maybe the Umiak scored a direct hit on Tempest or something, I dunno) then have to explain the meaning of that particular phrase to curious Loroi bystanders. Beryl especially, since she's supposed to start learning English and everything. It would be even funnier if he managed to teach her to swear like a sailor (although after the first few cluster f-bombs the strip might start pushing the upper limits of PG-13).

Just a thought.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:But don't worry that I will feel confined by some arbitrary rating when deciding exactly how to tell the story... I will do whatever seems appropriate at the time for the current page. The self-rating is just me trying to be a good citizen and give sensitive readers or parents appropriate warning about what they are likely to see.
Anyway even if it was classed 21+ am sure some 16 y.o would look at it. and they probably have seen worst thing. It like Games Rating. How manytime i seen at Game stop some 14ish child buying an Rated R game. Or even the Parent buying it for them then they would come back a few day later (probably thinking we wouldn't recognize them) to get a refund because the game too violent :S
Absalom wrote:A distinct lack of poorly-drawn couches, poorly-drawn gaming consoles, poorly-drawn clip-art, and boring jokes about recent games, are all big reasons.
Are you saying that because it a Quality comic and story it wont be popular? That what appeal to the mass is no-brainer movie/comic/story?

javcs

Post by javcs »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote:But don't worry that I will feel confined by some arbitrary rating when deciding exactly how to tell the story... I will do whatever seems appropriate at the time for the current page. The self-rating is just me trying to be a good citizen and give sensitive readers or parents appropriate warning about what they are likely to see.
Anyway even if it was classed 21+ am sure some 16 y.o would look at it. and they probably have seen worst thing. It like Games Rating. How manytime i seen at Game stop some 14ish child buying an Rated R game. Or even the Parent buying it for them then they would come back a few day later (probably thinking we wouldn't recognize them) to get a refund because the game too violent :S
'S'true. Almost nobody pays much attention to ratings, except when they're trying to make a point or be an ass.
I consider them guidelines for what the content will be like, and generally ignore them.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:
Absalom wrote:A distinct lack of poorly-drawn couches, poorly-drawn gaming consoles, poorly-drawn clip-art, and boring jokes about recent games, are all big reasons.
Are you saying that because it a Quality comic and story it wont be popular? That what appeal to the mass is no-brainer movie/comic/story?
*cough* Twilight *cough* Bieber *cough* [whatever the Internet decides to bash next right here] *cough*
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Karst45 wrote:
Having read Penny Arcade (which is something of an outlier here, since it isn't actually bad), as well as some of the... lesser gamer comics out there, yes I basically am (I was actually pointing out that Outsider isn't a gamer comic).