Some questions about outsider

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ed_montague

Re: Some questions about outsider

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:what your plan? cause we just planned on crating him and shipping him to England.
No no no that won't work. I say give him back to the Canadians.

Or we could send him off to Japan. The universe of J-pop will surely welcome someone as well-versed as he. We might even get a blockbuster movie out of it, because Hollywood certainly hasn't finished using up its "Japan takes over the world" arsenal.

I can see it now: The Singer and the Shogun: Bieber Does Japan.
[Cut to BIEBER and BUSINESS EXECUTIVE 1]
Bieber: Is everything prepared, Mr. Tsukasa?
Mr. Tsukasa: Of course, Bieber-san. We have eliminated all opposition.
Bieber: This is it. Today, we prepare. Tonight...we take over the international J-pop community!
[Ominous music plays. Fade to black.]
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

The J-Pop business would chew Bieber up and spit him out. He'd then be forced to work in a maid cafe as a "Trap" waitress.

Which, dragging the topic back on topic as a general questions thread, begs the question...

To what extent is androgyny present in Loroi culture?
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

ed_montague wrote:
Karst45 wrote:what your plan? cause we just planned on crating him and shipping him to England.

Or we could send him off to Japan. The universe of J-pop will surely welcome someone as well-versed as he. We might even get a blockbuster movie out of it, because Hollywood certainly hasn't finished using up its "Japan takes over the world" arsenal.

I can see it now: The Singer and the Shogun: Bieber Does Japan.
[Cut to BIEBER and BUSINESS EXECUTIVE 1]
Bieber: Is everything prepared, Mr. Tsukasa?
Mr. Tsukasa: Of course, Bieber-san. We have eliminated all opposition.
Bieber: This is it. Today, we prepare. Tonight...we take over the international J-pop community!
[Ominous music plays. Fade to black.]
Guys, guys. We want to get rid of Bieber. If he's in Canada, or Japan, he's still ultimately here. This is a forum for a sci-fi webcomic. Surely one of us is into big rockets, or knows someone who is. I say, strap him to the biggest rocket we can find, point it in a direction away from Earth, and hit the launch button. Problem solved. :D

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

It was just me or have I have mis-read crating as "cratering". You know, in Biebers case, I dunno even if an orbital mass driver bombardment would be enough. :roll:
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

The mountain of fangirls would protect him. Regenerating ablative armor FTW.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

ed_montague wrote:
That border's more porous than the Mexican one!

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

All of us are thinking too much of the short-term. A far better idea would be to keep him contained for use as a weapon of mass destruction.

Ensign Jardin: The seven worlds of Humanity have decided that we should ally ourselves with the Loroi. We are prepared to give any aid necessary in order to support our new comrades.
Stillstorm: I've seen your people's technology, and all of it was severely outclassed by anything the Umiak will throw at us. How do you expect to help, if you--
[A rocket loaded with a "special" warhead blasts past the Tempest.]
Ensign Jardin: Um, you guys might want to put on ear protection now or something. Things might get dangerous in a little bit...
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Mr Bojangles wrote: Guys, guys. We want to get rid of Bieber. If he's in Canada, or Japan, he's still ultimately here. This is a forum for a sci-fi webcomic. Surely one of us is into big rockets, or knows someone who is. I say, strap him to the biggest rocket we can find, point it in a direction away from Earth, and hit the launch button. Problem solved. :D
*bieber is send back 10 year later with a foreign message*

Keep your garbage with you. Next time we will consider this an act of war!
Razor One wrote: The J-Pop business would chew Bieber up and spit him out. He'd then be forced to work in a maid cafe as a "Trap" waitress.
dont know why but this video is quite disturbing

and what a trap waitress?
Last edited by Karst45 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:and what a trap waitress?
Looking at the context of the situation, I would assume that he was referring to an individual that appears to be female but is in reality transgendered. The comment mentioning the "trap" probably implies that Bieber can be easily misidentified as female.

Really, this is getting quite harsh. We should stop making fun of her.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Karst45 wrote:
Mr Bojangles wrote: Guys, guys. We want to get rid of Bieber. If he's in Canada, or Japan, he's still ultimately here. This is a forum for a sci-fi webcomic. Surely one of us is into big rockets, or knows someone who is. I say, strap him to the biggest rocket we can find, point it in a direction away from Earth, and hit the launch button. Problem solved. :D

Hmm, point. Solution: aim the rocket at the sun.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Mr Bojangles wrote:
Karst45 wrote:

Hmm, point. Solution: aim the rocket at the sun.
lets just hope it wont make the sun implode. (you know because he suck a lots)

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Karst45 wrote:
lets just hope it wont make the sun implode. (you know because he suck a lots)
Touché, Karst, touché. :lol:

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

William Golding wrote:Fancy thinking the Bieber is something you can hunt and kill!
With these words, Golding lays bare the concept at the heart of his classic work The Lord of the Flies. It shares something in common with the concept of the Eternal Recurrence, and with Campbell's conception of the Monomyth; the notion that some things, some stories and narrative patterns and concepts and events, are so natural and innate (to the world or to humanity or reality) that they cannot but be part of an ever-repeating cycle, albeit with variations and deviations in detail.

The Bieber is far more important as a concept than as a specific entity within the work, and we find that, as a concept, it is inescapable; had it not come about in the way that it did, it would have evolved through a different means, because the things the concept addresses, such as the need to externalize an antagonist to fear and hate--and, yes, in certain ways and for certain people, even to venerate and worship--are part of the human condition, the human conception of reality.

Whether or not a Bieber actually exists as a discrete entity, and whether or not such an entity is actually literally the Christian Satan, is entirely irrelevant; if the Bieber did not exist, it would have been necessary to create him, because he is part of us; he answers a deep need within human nature, and we can never fully be rid of him, not even if we leave all of civilization and all pre-existing embodiments and understandings of the Bieber behind. Think of all the uses of a concept similar to the Bieber society has made even within your own time.

Because it appeals to some base human instincts within the dark hearts of so many, the Bieber is a matter of Eternal Recurrence; so long as humanity exists, so too will the Bieber. Whatever happens to the current form, the current embodiment, or even the current specific concept is irrelevant; to divest ourselves of the current civilized and controlled construct of society's current Bieber may simply loose a more primordial, more direct, and even more terrible Bieber upon us all, because society exists at least in part to control the power of this eternal idea.
The Lord of the Flies wrote:You knew, didn’t you? I’m part of you? Close, close, close!

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Allow me to explain :)

A "Trap" is any man who has the appearance of a woman and can easily (and forgivably) be mistaken as such. Transgendered persons would be one particular flavour of a trap, but doesn't encompass the entire meaning. The reverse situation, a woman whom can easily and forgivably mistaken for a man, also applies, though some tend to try and differentiate this particular flavour by applying "Reverse Trap".

A trap waitress would be a man whom has dressed up as a waitress and convincingly looks like a woman.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Razor One wrote:
Allow me to explain :)

A "Trap" is any man who has the appearance of a woman and can easily (and forgivably) be mistaken as such. Transgendered persons would be one particular flavour of a trap, but doesn't encompass the entire meaning. The reverse situation, a woman whom can easily and forgivably mistaken for a man, also applies, though some tend to try and differentiate this particular flavour by applying "Reverse Trap".

A trap waitress would be a man whom has dressed up as a waitress and convincingly looks like a woman.
Right. What you said.

I wonder if Bieber will still be popular when we make contact...
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

ed_montague wrote: Right. What you said.

I wonder if Bieber will still be popular when we make contact...

I hoe not :oops: I mean the young man is successful but I don't think he would be a good "representation" of earth music.

as for hairy eatable things, the list could include deer, bears, mouse, buffalo ( very hairy) and other mammals as well.

as for a hunter society, I don't they would be picky ( except if the spider were HUGH)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Michael

Post by Michael »

by plane? cos we have a state of the art anti-aircraft vessel in the Falklands....if you could see your way clear to, i don't know, maybe chart a flight plan so he does a fly over? im sure fleet command will allow a "training exercise" at just the right moment....
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

junk

Post by junk »

Mr Bojangles wrote:
ed_montague wrote: Aw. There goes the idyllic rural lifestyle. Something of a shame, no? (Of course, you've got to have people tending to the farms and stuff, which preserves some hope for good ol' country living.)
To feed 25 billion-plus people, I imagine massive automation and controlled conditions for food growth. I'm envisioning aircraft carrier-sized aero-/hydroponics farms tended to by robots. On the other hand, all those people would need employment, and you'd need lots of farms to meet demand.

As for good ol' country living, well, who's to say the population hasn't become incredibly agoraphobic, à la The Caves of Steel? But, if everyone lives in kilometers-high arcologies, what land isn't being farmed would likely be preserved. I would imagine camping would still be a possibility.

This makes me curious. Just how do humans live on Outsider Earth? There isn't much info in the Insider.
You technically don't need employment for those people. You just need to keep them busy. There's a lot of ways how to keep a lot of people busy as long as they get their 3 meals a day and entertainment.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

javcs wrote:The problem is that when you look at the in-universe descriptions of the 'binary' language, one finds that if you're not a droid, you can neither speak it nor fully understand it (though you can get the general gist of what's being said), as 'binary' could accurately be described as a form of high-speed, high-density, sonic-based data transmission that covers a range that extends both above and below the normal auditory range. Which means that a vocabulator capable of generating 'binary' ought to be capable of handling just about any 'normal' auditory language.
Not to mention that one of the primary purposes of the "vocabulator" would be to interact with non-droids, and other droids illustrate that handling normal speech is not difficult, expensive, or in any way limiting. It appears to be something so standardized and widespread that it would likely be used on a deep mining droid that might never speak to anything but droids in its entire existence, just because nobody bothers to make a version that doesn't support normal speech.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I'm curious if anyone knows the length of time a Loroi fighter can stay in action, how many times they can fire their beam weapons etc.