Outsider Character and Concept Discussion

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Michael

Outsider Character and Concept Discussion

Post by Michael »

Figured i'd re-make this thread with a slight diffrece, since discussing the outsider characters as their made, or before they're put into the story, is actually quite interesting to me, and more importantly, might be helpful to Arioch when he gets stuck with something (bouncing ideas around has been helpful for me when i get stuck in the character creation process) but lets try and say on topic, just to make the topic more clear,
Its about observing and discussing the Characters of Outsider, the concepts of these characters and how they might have changed when they were put into the actual story and what they're like in the story (personality, how they act, maybe their back story?)
lets try and keep the topics clean, m'k? if you really feel someone had said something which you absolutely must comment on and its out of topic, make anew thread, quote them and link the new thread....sorry that was more of a rant than anything wasn't it? ok back to topic,

Stillstorm early concept, she seems more mischievous in this pic, whereas she seems more world weary now.
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

ed_montague

Re: Outsider Character and Concept Discussion

Post by ed_montague »

What the...that's Stillstorm? :shock:

I...that's so different from Stillstorm as we know her, I just...what...

I must say that the cold, emotionless Stillstorm works better than the mischievous, pony-tailed Stillstorm.

Also: Beryl.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Trumblonie

Post by Trumblonie »

Michael wrote: Stillstorm early concept, she seems more mischievous in this pic, whereas she seems more world weary now.
Although there's several big differences between that concept art and the current Stillstorm (to the point where they could be mistaken as different characters), it does strike me as a younger her, before decades of being a commander and having a crew of twenty to fifty somethings. Am I remembering right in that she's 150?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

more or less 50 year yes.

Well one thing i find hard to draw is age "marker" you know the hint that make you think, this character look 25 or 50 or 80. Since they are concept art, it possible Arioch left those hint (making the character look younger) or his technique improved to the point were he would more accurately show the desired age of his character

The other possibility is that he decided to make her older for some reason. Thus it not the first character that look older in recent sketch than in older one. (see Graywind)

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Karst45 wrote:more or less 50 year yes.

Well one thing i find hard to draw is age "marker" you know the hint that make you think, this character look 25 or 50 or 80. Since they are concept art, it possible Arioch left those hint (making the character look younger) or his technique improved to the point were he would more accurately show the desired age of his character

The other possibility is that he decided to make her older for some reason. Thus it not the first character that look older in recent sketch than in older one. (see Graywind)
Forget Graywind, look at Beryl. It seems that her entire character changed multiple times during the various concept stages. While Stillstorm went from mildly playful to I'm-gonna-rip-your-throat-out-and-feast-on-your-innards-while-maintaining-a-calm-and-solemn-demeanor, Beryl went from more serious to positively adorable. It's like she lost a few years during the process. (Which may have been what Arioch was shooting for.)
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

My suspicion for Beryl is that Arioch realized he kind of needed a character who was actually pleasant on the Loroi side early on. Since if the best he was going to offer was Tempo they were going to look like a race of assholes.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

In the first sketches of the age - not the main thing. Her smile seems to me more sarcastic than mischievous.

Mischievous boss - nightmare for subordinate .

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

fredgiblet wrote:My suspicion for Beryl is that Arioch realized he kind of needed a character who was actually pleasant on the Loroi side early on. Since if the best he was going to offer was Tempo they were going to look like a race of assholes.
That does make sense. Given the Loroi racial description we have, having Beryl be the way she is (openly inquisitive, generally approachable, actually friendly), gives Alex, and by extension, us, a latch point into the story. Through Beryl, we can get Loroi backstory in a plot-plausible way; Alex doesn't have to somehow convince a Loroi to have a "change of heart," and talk to him.

As to the Stillstorm concept, I have to agree, she looks much younger. And we see that smirk again, on page 89. Of course, in the original context, it appears mischievous or sarcastic, but in the comic, it isn't anywhere near as pleasant. I'd say it appears cruelly mocking, at best. Which, from how we've seen her act thus far, fits quite well.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Mr Bojangles wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:My suspicion for Beryl is that Arioch realized he kind of needed a character who was actually pleasant on the Loroi side early on. Since if the best he was going to offer was Tempo they were going to look like a race of assholes.
That does make sense. Given the Loroi racial description we have, having Beryl be the way she is (openly inquisitive, generally approachable, actually friendly), gives Alex, and by extension, us, a latch point into the story. Through Beryl, we can get Loroi backstory in a plot-plausible way; Alex doesn't have to somehow convince a Loroi to have a "change of heart," and talk to him.

As to the Stillstorm concept, I have to agree, she looks much younger. And we see that smirk again, on page 89. Of course, in the original context, it appears mischievous or sarcastic, but in the comic, it isn't anywhere near as pleasant. I'd say it appears cruelly mocking, at best. Which, from how we've seen her act thus far, fits quite well.
Plus, he needed a character for the pin-up art. Telepanty, anyone? :D

And, you know, the whole viewpoint character thing. But telepanties are just as important.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

There is no denying just how vitally important telepanties are. To do so would absolutely foolish. I'm sure when we get to discussing Beryl in detail, this is a point that will bear full analysis.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

...and my mother
always said that in her
day a purple ribbon
looped in the hair was thought
to be high style indeed

(Sappho)

Its the ribbon and the ponytail that makes her seem younger (and less scary) to me.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

I will agree that Beryl is the most likeable character in the whole thing (minus our trusty protagonist, of course, since he's the protagonist). That probably explains the pin-up art. And the telepanties.

As for Stillstorm's hairstyle: there's something about the volume of her hair in the finalized version of her character. Just as how Fireblade flaunts her awesomeness with her mane of hair, so does Stillstorm intimidate with her...whatever that is. Ribbon and ponytail just doesn't cut it, although I'm sure the Umiak can't tell the difference.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

ed_montague wrote:As for Stillstorm's hairstyle: there's something about the volume of her hair in the finalized version of her character. Just as how Fireblade flaunts her awesomeness with her mane of hair, so does Stillstorm intimidate with her...whatever that is. Ribbon and ponytail just doesn't cut it, although I'm sure the Umiak can't tell the difference.
Plus the eyebrows. Especially on P89, panel 2.
sapere aude.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Trantor wrote:
ed_montague wrote:As for Stillstorm's hairstyle: there's something about the volume of her hair in the finalized version of her character. Just as how Fireblade flaunts her awesomeness with her mane of hair, so does Stillstorm intimidate with her...whatever that is. Ribbon and ponytail just doesn't cut it, although I'm sure the Umiak can't tell the difference.
Plus the eyebrows. Especially on P89, panel 2.
Silly me, to forget the eyebrows. Of course. I would not like to get Stillstorm pissed off at me, that's for sure.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Looking at Stillstorm, and actually thinking about her appearance... Her face is defined, with sharp angles. Her hair is sleek, back out of the way, with absolutely no excess (when compared to say, Fireblade). Her appearance exemplifies a cold, focused predator. Her actions do not deny this essential nature.

Based on looks alone, she's not a woman I would ever want to be at odds with.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Page 64. Second panel.

Enough said.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ed_montague wrote:Page 64. Second panel.

Enough said.

*high pitch noise warning*

SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Yeah, her features seem softer in that one. As if she has a bit more understanding of Alexander. Even if he isn't up to snuff for a warrior on looks alone, she can definitively relate to his defiance after an attack from an overpowering force. She's probably seen almost all of her friends killed, so him making a vow of vengeance makes sense to her mind.

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

i always looked at that shot as 'Good greif, there you were floating in the dead of space, almost out of air, and you were picking to rant at some unseen attacker and personally swear to get vengance WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE ANYWAY? Humanity is even more idiotic than i thought.'

The 'I don't even believe it, you really did THAT?' look of disbelief

Michael

Post by Michael »

its just alex's way of saying "my species are way more awesomer then yours!"
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!