Page 99

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Boris Norris

Re: Page 99

Post by Boris Norris »

You forget, Alex is wonderboy. Hes has sussed her out. Remember on page 45 where she slams him against the wall and he thinks "You've been waiting all day to showcase that little trick." Look at the look on her face in the last panel. She looks smug and perhaps even relieved. Why did she do this when she could have easily stepped out of the way. She tipped her hand. She reveled the psychokenetic ability and something of her emotional state. There are a few reasons she might be afraid of Alex. He is strange. She cannot read his mind and might have other abilities she doesn't know of and he is larger than the males she is accustomed to. Alex has established that he is not afraid of her.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Boris Norris wrote:Fireblade cant kill Alex. She would be in deep trouble if she did. He knows this.
...however, she probably can give him an atomic wedgie.
Or force him to start hitting himself.
With or without her telekinesis.

Escalation's the only way it can go from there, Alex plying all his experience from the Scout Corps academy and all of his tactical insight into devising more complex and deeper pranks, Fireblade retaliating with her deep knowledge of covert warfare in hostile territory to make sure his next meal comes with a coffee with extra urine, going further and further until a full-on Prank War begins between the Terran Colonial Authority and the full power of the Loroi Union. Mizol sneaking aboard Terran Heavy Cruisers to put whoopie cushions on the captain's chairs and disappearing back into the air vents and hidden compartments of the space stations, human agents provocateur burning the words "Stillstorm Smells" indelibly into Loroi hull plates and across the walls of the Tenoin academy on Taben.

Pranks you people wouldn't believe. Indian Burns on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Loogies glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Heh. Mr Jardin serving his reputation.
:mrgreen:
ed_montague wrote:While Alex may not know much about Loroi culture, he is fully aware of Fireblade's telekinetic abilities
Bigger balls than brains.
ed_montague wrote:Either Reed convinces Fireblade to hold off for awhile because this alien's kinda important or the next page shows a smear of blood and viscera that used to be Ensign Jardin.
Alex still can´t be sure on that.
He´ll only be "safe" when other humans show up.
ed_montague wrote:This is going to be fun to watch.
One way or another. 8-)

Hey, maybe we see Fireblade actually talk on the next page.
sapere aude.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Trantor wrote: Hey, maybe we see Fireblade actually talk on the next page.
Nah, my money's still on "incredibly dramatic and heartwrenching sacrifice" or something of that nature. Either that, or "supreme anticlimax a hundred pages from now." Arioch can do whatever he wants, but having Fireblade talk on the next page doesn't seem likely...
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Boris Norris

Post by Boris Norris »

Alex vs. Fireblade is classic Buggs Bunny vs. Elmer Fudd. I forsee a passionate culmination in the future.

Halbrogen

Post by Halbrogen »

I am Loving Alex's face on the last panel...

It's what I'd call a "shit eating Grin"

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Boris Norris wrote:Why did she do this when she could have easily stepped out of the way.
Arioch wrote:Because the reader doesn't know Fireblade's motivations, she may seem capricious or even brutal... and that's an appropriate misconception for the reader to have at this point. There were two ways the elevator scene could go... either Fireblade could step out of the way and let him fall to the floor, or she could use her PK to stop him. Catching him physically is not an option.... Fireblade would not allow Alex to stumble into her, for a variety of reasons. The best option for Fireblade (and for the story) is to use her PK, because it is a demonstration for Alex of her ability. This demonstration is in some ways in Alex's best interest, because (from her point of view) the fact that she is unarmed seems to embolden him, and he needs to know that when they reach the bridge (which is their destination), if he makes any sudden unexpected movements, she may be forced to kill him on the spot... she needs to make Alex believe that she can and will do it. Unfortunately, gently stopping Alex's stumble with PK was also not an option... Fireblade does not have fine control with her PK (especially with the amplifier on), and so she has essentially two force levels with which to shove things: "really hard" and "lethal". And she's a professional soldier, not a diplomat... she couldn't care less if Alex's ego is bruised. The Loroi have substantial reason to mistrust Alex at the moment (some of which will be revealed shortly). For all she knows, he was trying to stumble into her on purpose.

As I mentioned before, in the first draft of the page I had Fireblade stepping out of the way instead, because I was worried that a sudden confrontation between Alex and Fireblade would derail the current conversation with Beryl. But I was able to find a way to write it such that there was only a single page of interruption (with Beryl essentially continuing as if nothing had happened, apologizing as if it had been her fault), so I went with the PK shove.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

GBscientist wrote:I know this has more to do with Arioch's stylistic sensibilities than logic, but why is the back of Fireblade's helmet open? Wouldn't having her hair stick out like that require an open helmet, and therefor create a massive hole in her armour? Why bother to wear a helmet at all if it doesn't have a back/top?
Ill quote "black hawk down" (though i didnt find the exact quote) Why have an armor plate on the back. after-all i don't intent to turn my back to the enemy and run away!

It's fireblade, right?

"Sorry, do you not understand the trade language?

Are language skills too advanced for your limited intellectual capacity?"
*Alex Make a "gather information" check: (roll 2) Alex make an "Diplomatic check" Roll 1: Critical fail

*Fire blade use "glare" on Alex: it super effective*

*Alex Use "pleasedontkillmeitwasajokeface" It somewhat effective*

ed_montague wrote: Either Reed convinces Fireblade to hold off for awhile because this alien's kinda important or the next page shows a smear of blood and viscera that used to be Ensign Jardin.
*Two boots stand parallel on the ground, on the wall behind you can see a "human shaped" hole in the wall*

*Fireblade* Sorry i sneezed *smile*

*Alex in a somewhat confused way* Am ok

*Fireblade raise an eyebrow* apparently i didn't sneeze strong enough.
Solemn wrote:Fireblade retaliating with her deep knowledge of covert warfare in hostile territory to make sure his next meal comes with a coffee with extra urine,
well i have a theory (if your not scared yet, please do so)

Since most of the time, the interrior of a closed environnement, smell like his occupant body odor and/or sweat. And that in page Page 48 The interior of the Tempest smell like Vanilla. Then there a possibility that loroi "sweet" (or urea) could smell like vanilla.

*back on earth*

Alex: here a vanilla cake
Beryl: EWWWW! somone pee'd in it!

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

A new page! What a pleasant surprise! And we get to see why Fireblade was rolling her eyes.

Angering and annoying someone is a good way to get a read on a person when you're pressed for time. Of course, when you're in a dangerous situation and the person you are antagonizing has powerful TK at her disposal, not to mention that she considers you an unknown and therefore a threat, it may be prudent to tread lightly. But, I would say, overall, that Alex is playing the game as well as he can given his circumstances. He needs to understand the people around him; how they think, feel and react. The fate of humanity could very well depend on it.

And you probably need a certain amount of "ballsiness" to run in the Scout Corps, going beyond the edge of the known. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Even if it is a super-powered TK Atomic Wedgie of Pain.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

I figure Jardin is attention starved.

Did Beryl's visits to learn Jardin's language occur yet?

javcs

Post by javcs »

Mr Bojangles wrote:A new ****! What a pleasant surprise!
GYAH!!!
NO!!!

THAt's a topic you don't mention. EVER. You'll jinx things.

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Voitan wrote:I figure Jardin is attention starved.

Did Beryl's visits to learn Jardin's language occur yet?
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider098.html
Alex Jardin wrote:I had been put back in this cell right after leaving the bridge. I'd had no visitors except the security officers who were constantly trying to get me to eat.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

junk

Post by junk »

well i have a theory (if your not scared yet, please do so)

Since most of the time, the interrior of a closed environnement, smell like his occupant body odor and/or sweat. And that in page Page 48 The interior of the Tempest smell like Vanilla. Then there a possibility that loroi "sweet" (or urea) could smell like vanilla.

*back on earth*

Alex: here a vanilla cake
Beryl: EWWWW! somone pee'd in it!
Not counting pheromones the majority of smell from sweat and similar are actually bacteria caused. I'd say both Alex as as well as the crew of loroi ships are supplied with custom bacteria cultivars to allow them to function normally but not impair anything.

dfacto

Post by dfacto »

Solemn wrote:Pranks you people wouldn't believe. Indian Burns on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Loogies glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
*slow clap*

Nice. Very nice.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Two thoughts came to mind:

Alex Jardin messin' with Fireblade. This can only end badly.

What Fireblade is thinking
You're a louse, Alex Jardin

edit: bah how do you do strikethrough text here?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Turrosh Mak wrote:edit: bah how do you do strikethrough text here?

Code: Select all

[s]strikethrough[/s] 
strikethrough

(and yes, I just added it)

Boris Norris

Post by Boris Norris »

So, how do I copy and paste a portion of someone's posting to include in a reply?

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Click the little button above and to the right of their post marked "quote."
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
The stars my destination

Boris Norris

Post by Boris Norris »

ed_montague wrote:
Boris Norris wrote:Fireblade cant kill Alex. She would be in deep trouble if she did. He knows this.
...however, smashing him against the wall and telling him very pointedly to shut his mouth might be allowed.

The Loroi have granted Alex the title and rank of captain. If Fireblade were to assualt Alex it would be assualt on a superior officer.

Also, if smacking him against the wall in the elevator was her only recourse, why did she derive pleasure from it? (last panel, page 45)

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Boris Norris wrote:The Loroi have granted Alex the title and rank of captain. If Fireblade were to assualt Alex it would be assualt on a superior officer.
...no they didn't, they formally recognized him as the commander of an alien vessel, and as the commanding officer of a foreign vessel, recognized his right to be addressed as Captain.

They didn't promote him.

Doubtless the title of Captain is very important to them, but this did not grant him a commission in the Loroi military. He is not an officer in the Loroi Union Navy, and any regulations governing Fireblade's actions would have to regard his status as a foreign dignitary and foreign commander.

He is not her superior officer. He is an alien who they have decided to play nice with, for now.