The Aircraft Image Posting Contest

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Fotiadis_110

Re: The Aircraft Image Posting Contest

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

amusingly the SR71 used cutting edge stealth technology, it had a radar profile smaller than most of the fighters used in it's day, so in that regard it was a success.
The PROBLEM actually came from the engine exaust, and your misreading your additives, they added something (cobolt?) as an additive to reduce the radar profile of their exhaust I think 3 fold.

The fact the russians could pick the aircraft up the moment it crossed the horizon with their airport radars just goes to show how useful all these stealth modifications really were.

But in it's defence, said radar profile was thanks to the high energy ionisd gas ejected from the engines that allowed a top speed of mach 3.5 in an era when they were facing mach 1.8 at the top end far closer to sea level, it was an excellent aircraft, although ungainly and poor manuverability.
Admittedly for the purpose it was built, spying on well defended targets, missile technology has far surpassed the airframe... although i wonder if the SR's theoretical successor, capable of mach 5, with improved cooling allowing mach 6 to 8 without damaging their aircraft... i wonder if we actually have a missile that could catch that from ground level in the modern inventory, aside from those insane anti-nukes lol.

But to be fair, I would nominate the XF-71 as the ultimate aircraft to ever be designed from those i have encountered... dropping gliding tactical nukes into the core of bomber fleets at mach 2.5 from an altitude that even modern fighters aren't built for.
And of course I eagerly anticipate it would be followed by the XB-71... a nuclear bomber that would make the russians wish they had improved their own (mach 5 nukes dropping in on your doorstep anyone?)
The biggest problem with the 71 series aside from the whole ionised gas component, was that even moderate turns at the speed they flew at led to high levels of Gforces, so they couldn't turn fast if they wanted to :(.

Personally, if i could bring just one aircraft back, it'd be the 71... it has an ability to get and collect up to the second intelligence from anywhere in a matter of a few minutes, while satellites at best gives snapshots, a 71 could hang around for a few minutes giving electromagnetic intel, as well as video and the rest...
And best of all, you can time a satellite in orbit's arrival... a 71 could be there at any time ^_^

But the A-10 is the best combat aircraft for sure... but I feel that is mostly because some fool in congress used his connections to 'encourage' a alternate plan which was still in the design stage and ultimately got dropped for being incapable of meeting the requirements, which a 71 appears to have the capability to have met 'out of the box'.

The day the airforce failed to prevent the instructions to destroy the tooling required for this aircraft, is the day they failed at modern aviation.
And now the A-10?
What next, are they going to suggest we retire the M1 mbt?

And some people wonder why I hate politics, no matter who we vote in charge they make stupid and irrational decisions that either complicate our lives, cost us money, or generally ruin the few enjoyable bits of our lives we have left.

GeoModder

Re: Page 99

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:so often German terms are pretty obvious to me ("Wegbereiter" is an example). "Ersatz" OTOH, doesn't have a near-identical comparison in Dutch.
Really? You mean as a loanword, or is there no dutch word for "alternate"?
Literally, "Wegbereiter" could be either translated as "voorbereider" (preparator) or "wegenrijder" (road trafficker), depending on the context.
But "Ersatz" is something uniquely German, nothing obviously springs forward for a translation.
"Alternate" --> "Alternatief", but I think the word is a French loanwoard (alternative, with the emphasis on the second and second last vowels).

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

junk wrote:Yeah I'm a czechie. And to be honest - I've got no problems with germans. Apart from the traditional our beer is better than yours pissing contest :P.
That´s correct, i´m a Budweiser (Budvar)-addict.
It speaks for itself that a whole class of beers is named after one your towns.
junk wrote:They're just sometimes far too sticklers to precision :P Learned it the hard way from some of my teachers.
Yep. "Precision ´r´ us". Sometimes it fires back, see the piston squeezers the Germans had in dogfights over southern England. The british engines didn´t had them, they built their engines sloppier and their engines used more oil, but they didn´t squeeze.
junk wrote:As to the arty I believe it's shared by both us and slovakia. At least the original systems. Not sure if they modernised theirs in any way. I know we did modernise our DANA's to some extent.
I remember a test firing report, where it was stated that the Zuzana was toe-to-toe with the PZH2000 in all aspects, which is pretty impressive.

Fotiadis_110 wrote:Personally, if i could bring just one aircraft back, it'd be the 71...
And the XB-70.

Fotiadis_110 wrote:...
What next, are they going to suggest we retire the M1 mbt?
Buy Leopards!

GeoModder wrote:But "Ersatz" is something uniquely German, nothing obviously springs forward for a translation.
"Alternate" --> "Alternatief", but I think the word is a French loanwoard (alternative, with the emphasis on the second and second last vowels).
Hm, interesting, how about "Sucessor" for "Ersatz"?
sapere aude.

junk

Post by junk »

GeoModder wrote:
Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:so often German terms are pretty obvious to me ("Wegbereiter" is an example). "Ersatz" OTOH, doesn't have a near-identical comparison in Dutch.
Really? You mean as a loanword, or is there no dutch word for "alternate"?
Literally, "Wegbereiter" could be either translated as "voorbereider" (preparator) or "wegenrijder" (road trafficker), depending on the context.
But "Ersatz" is something uniquely German, nothing obviously springs forward for a translation.
I think substituent or something similar would work better. Since it's not alternate in the normal sense, but alternate from necessity. So more of a substitute.

Successor isn't the right word either. I'd use "náhrada, náhradník". But I doubt anyone else would understand that one :P

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Double post
Last edited by GeoModder on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:But "Ersatz" is something uniquely German, nothing obviously springs forward for a translation.
Hm, interesting, how about "Sucessor" for "Ersatz"?
Successor? AFAIK, Ersatz means "surrogate". A successor is a "next-in-line" kind of thing. "Opvolger" in Dutch, or "nakomeling" if you're talking about geneologies.

TeidarPallanLeinnol

Post by TeidarPallanLeinnol »

A QUICK CHECK OF THE TERRAN INTERNET REVEALS THAT THE WORD "ERSATZ" ALSO IMPLIES THAT IT'S SHITTIER THAN THE ORIGINAL

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

TeidarPallanLeinnol wrote:A QUICK CHECK OF THE TERRAN INTERNET REVEALS THAT THE WORD "ERSATZ" ALSO IMPLIES THAT IT'S SHITTIER THAN THE ORIGINAL
Ah. Is there a Dutch word for "made in China"?
Trantor wrote:
Fotiadis_110 wrote:Personally, if i could bring just one aircraft back, it'd be the 71...
And the XB-70.

Imagine that thing with nuclear engines :ugeek: .

TeidarPallanLeinnol

Absalom wrote:
TeidarPallanLeinnol wrote:A QUICK CHECK OF THE TERRAN INTERNET REVEALS THAT THE WORD "ERSATZ" ALSO IMPLIES THAT IT'S SHITTIER THAN THE ORIGINAL
"GEMAAKT IN CHINA"

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Not necessarily.
Absalom wrote:
Good one. :mrgreen:
Absalom wrote:Image
Imagine that thing with nuclear engines :ugeek: .
Bah. Don´t spoil it.

One try was enough:
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

ok it a scaled model but still!

Michael

Post by Michael »

that is clearly the vest aircraft in world, hands down, i vote this thread now be closed as a clear winner has been found. :D
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Absalom wrote:
"Rommel", or "brol" in my country's dialect. :P
And no, I don't mean the German general. :lol:

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

I would like to tender this one!

TeidarPallanLeinnol

MORE LIKE AIRCRAFT IMAGE PISSING CONTEST

javcs

Post by javcs »

TeidarPallanLeinnol wrote:MORE LIKE AIRCRAFT IMAGE PISSING CONTEST
One, turn off Caps lock.

Two, anybody else hear about the oxygen line problems in the F-22?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

javcs wrote:Two, anybody else hear about the oxygen line problems in the F-22?
That's sooo last year! :lol:

TeidarPallanLeinnol

javcs wrote:
TeidarPallanLeinnol wrote:MORE LIKE AIRCRAFT IMAGE PISSING CONTEST
One, turn off Caps lock.
NO

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

In my experience, it doesn't do any good to tell Fireblade what to do.

discord

Post by discord »

arioch: sounds like suboptimal soldier material.