Distraction thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Fotiadis_110

Re: Distraction thread

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

That particular thought experiment has been done.

And it is limited by Einstiens modified kinetic energy.

you see in the first case the particles are accelerating from V=0 to V=0.9c

In the second you are adding the same amount of kinetic energy to the particles but from a higher energy initial speed.

It isn't additive at all unfortunately.

Ignoring the REALLY complicated maths, lets see what happens at normal velocities:
I take 10m/s and stick it into an energy equation.
e=1/2mv^2 M=1 for simplicity: e=1/2*100=50.
If I launch this device from a moving carrage moving at 10 m/s also:
without adding more energy the momentum is the change in energy, NOT the sum of their speeds...
So:
E=50+50 (rest energy of movement plus your added movement energy from launch)
E=100
100*2=mv^2
Sqrt(200)=v=~14.14 (or 10*sqrt(2))
This is less than double to start with and using an overly simplified equation (although it works to show the point that speeds don't just add), and Einstein says it takes more and more energy the closer you get to light speed, which has been seen with those lovely particle accelerators that physicists keep building, they keep putting in more and more energy and see less and less gain in velocity.
The reason the whole 'gun' idea works additively is that while it actually doesn't, truth is that the loss in speed is slight because the V of the car is negligible to the V of the bullet.

And my understanding goes that the 0.2 moving observer could accelerate particles to 0.9c from their observation point, and claim to have broken light speed because of it... but a person who isn't moving will watch the experiment and take their own measurements and conclude it fits within the correct energy and momentum conserving equations, and the claims of the guys on the starship are wrong thanks to observer time dilation or something.

discord

Post by discord »

well goodie, that means less paradox in my life, i do so hate paradox....now that i think about it what is the plural of paradox, looking it up it's paradoxes which actually was my first guess but it seemed wrong...

but this would point to there being a absolute zero speed in the universe...which i personally find comforting.

on a not total tangent but damn near, paradox interactive http://www.paradoxplaza.com/ make pretty cool games.

Mikk

Post by Mikk »

So here's a distraction for you all!
Suggest a new* dramatic scifi, war or action anime series to watch!

I recently watched through most of the Seikai no Monshou/Seki anime cluster (with the exception of Seikai no Danshou [Crest of the Stars: Birth] and the two [mostly-]recap movies summarizing two of the series'). It would appear it is pretty much the awesomest scifi, drama, adventure, war/military, action, space opera, epic, etc kinda anime series, and it's left me with serious cravings for something to fill the void the conclusion of that series has left in me.

To give you an idea of what I might be interested in the most, here's a list of anime from similar genres that also have left a significant impression in me:
Crest/Banner of the Stars, Code Geass, Claymore, Steins Gate, Macross Frontier, Blue Gender, Broken Blade (Break Blade), Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, Tenchi Muyo!, Chrome Shelled Regios, Ga-Rei: Zero, Kore wa Zombie Desuka?, Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School of the Dead, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Deadman Wonderland, Darker than Black, No.6 (ナンバー・シックス), Black Lagoon, Planetes, Gantz, Yukikaze.

And here's one of other anime of similar genres that I've already seen:
Zipang, Gasaraki, Flag, Casshern Sins, Argento Soma, Starship Operators, Hakugei - Legend of the Moby Dick, Viper's Creed, Innocent Venus, Zegapain, Xam'd: Lost Memories, Linebarrels of Iron, Escaflowne, Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls, Appleseed Saga stuff, Ghost in the Shell, Canaan, Gunslinger Girl, Strike Witches, Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon, Gun x Sword, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Infinite Stratos, Scrapped Princess, Angel Beats!, Uchuu no Stellvia, Mouretsu Pirates, Vandread, Rinne no Lagrange, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Towa no Quon, Battle Girls - Time Paradox, Brave 10, Space Brothers, Xenosaga, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Gundam Wing, Blue Sumbmarine No. 6, Jin-Roh (movie), King of Thorn (movie).

Apologies for dumping this list of ~62 titles on you all, but I hope at least some of you might have fun tring to find more or less genre specific omissions from that list! So to repeat myself on the
interesting genre labels: scifi (optional), war/military, aciton, adventure, romance :P, drama, comedy, psychological, thriller;
genres that I'm typically not at all interested in are: detective, mystery, horror.

* not included in the lists above, this being a distractions thread however..

Commence opperation suggest!

EDIT: added Tenchi, removed double entry of Mouretsu, added Gundam Wing
Last edited by Mikk on Sun May 27, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sanguinius

Post by Sanguinius »

Mikk wrote:So here's a distraction for you all!

I recently watched through most of the Seikai no Monshou/Seki anime cluster (with the exception of Seikai no Danshou [Crest of the Stars: Birth] and the two [mostly-]recap movies summarizing two of the series'). It would appear it is pretty much the awesomest scifi, drama, adventure, war/military, action, space opera, epic, etc kinda anime series, and it's left me with serious cravings for something to fill the void the conclusion of that series has left in me.
Well as I understand it, Seikai no Monshou is generally not considered to be the "awesomest scifi, drama, adventure, war/military, action, space opera, epic, etc kinda anime series", as I understand it that honour goes to Ginga Eiyū Densetsu or Legend of the Galactic Heroes in english.

Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Sanguinius wrote:

Well as I understand it, Seikai no Monshou is generally not considered to be the "awesomest scifi, drama, adventure, war/military, action, space opera, epic, etc kinda anime series", as I understand it that honour goes to Ginga Eiyū Densetsu or Legend of the Galactic Heroes in english.
Hmm, I must have omitted the all important "that I have seen" bit! :o
In any case, reading a recommendation for that series comparing the two it sure has bumped up a few places in the list of animes that I somehow newer get around to picing up.. :oops: Oh wait, that comparison was between Code Geass and Legend of the Galactic heroes instead. But still, people have been telling me to see it for years. Sounds like it's time I finally do it.

So why did you specify in english? The original voice acting was bad or something?

Any more suggestions, I'm sure there have to be some more "well-seen" anime fans around here.
Last edited by Mikk on Sun May 27, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fandom established 2004*. (*Official records lost)
Sometimes I have a twisted mind…
¿What could possibly be better than giant robots fighting with knives? ¡Giant robots fighting with swords, of course!

Sanguinius

Post by Sanguinius »

No, I just meant that Ginga Eiyū Densetsu was its name in Japanese, the English translation of which is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. There is no English dub, there isn't even an official English sub, just a fan sub from Central Anime, but it's a good quality sub so that's no big deal.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

I watched that back when it was first getting translated (actually own ~2-3 dvds, & a few manga), and it's actually somewhat dull. In Japanese it might be pretty good, but I expect that would be linked to cultural relevance instead of general appeal. Admiral (?) Spoor was a great relief, because she didn't restrain herself to the point of being Extra #5 (in the bits I watched, Lafiel (?) displayed all the personality of an extra, and Jinto the personality of a secondary character, Haruhi's game episode had much MORE characterization even if you IGNORE the rest of the series).

The original Ghost in the Shell manga was more interestingly written, and I considered that to fail as an actual story (great source material though, and Shirow's other stuff is much better, so maybe it's emphasis/pacing). Suffice to say, I don't take that comment about Crest/Banner of the Stars' author reviving the space-opera genre in Japan seriously (unless he prompted a lot of people to think "I can do better than this..."). It also bugged me that after thousands of years, they apparently hadn't thought of any weapons that we aren't currently WORKING on.
Mikk wrote:Bodacious Space Pirates
Mikk wrote:Mouretsu Pirates
Those are the same thing ;). From what I've seen (only watched ~ half way through now), very much a good choice. Also, their economic model for piracy (tourism!) is a LOT more sensible than normal. Too realistic to suit most reviewers, though (they don't carry & use more explosives than their ship can carry? why not?!?).
Mikk wrote:genres that I'm typically not at all interested in are: detective, mystery, horror.
A shame, there's a pretty good X-Files-esque series that I watched a few years ago (and another from last year).

If you haven't tried Akira (which also has an excellent AMV set to "Animal I Have Become") or Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, then I recommend both. Madox-01 is the most realistic mecha-series that I've seen (not that I've seen that many). The guy who wrote LoGH also wrote another space-opera series that got turned into an anime, but apparently he abandoned the book series (he might have decided that it was too similar to LoGH). Try Macross Plus, excellent music & some pretty good scenes (though I've only seen the movie version).

Edited in: Two more to take note of:
I only suggest Fractale if you're a film student, or an obsessive lover of slice-of-life shows. It's actually quite well written, but because of the way that they did it, the drama/suspense/action/etc. is like a car tire with an audible air leak: by the time of the next episode, it'll be flat. Good material, yet a failure.

I recommend all of Memories (film), but especially Magnetic Rose. It isn't as long, but it's about as good as Cowboy Bebop (and it's movie).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SF:
I can recommend Last Exile and Eureka Seven. Heroic Age was somewhat interesting. Gurren Lagann was strange but watchable. Origin: Spirits of the Past (movie) was interesting. I'm not a Gundam fan, but I liked 08th MS Team. If you haven't seen Crusher Joe, I can highly recommend both the movie and the two OAV's.

Fantasy:
Mushi-shi was very good. Slayers! is pretty funny as a sendup of fantasy tropes.

Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Thanks for the suggestions so far, you're being very helpful! :D

Ahh, and I think I forgot to mention that one of the things I liked most about C/BotS was that it was sweet. Entertaining the romantic in me is a big part of many of the anime I watch.

For me it hardly ever ever ever is a side character that I enjoy watching the most, even in shows with many prominent supporting characters. If I do, it's just a temporary bonus as the hero will eventually outshine that spectacle by sheer screen time. In the case of Spoor for instance I rather disliked the psycho-like character facets to her much of the time, and liked her chief of staff's constant worries about her behaviour instead.

For me the C/BotS anime was so enjoyable in fact I'm at the very least planning on getting the english translations of the CotS novels, and perhaps even the japanese prints of the whole series, for exotic collection value if not for a futile attempt at learning to read the language just for the sake of those books.
¿What could possibly be better than giant robots fighting with knives? ¡Giant robots fighting with swords, of course!

Sanguinius

Post by Sanguinius »

Well my tastes are quite different from yours, I wasn't too keen on C/BotS and I generally don't like sweet romantic things too much, but I'll dump a load of advice based off of all you've said so far. I told you about Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it has very little in the way of what you could describe as sweet or romantic scenes, so not sure how you'll find it. In addition here is some sci-fi things that you might like based on what you've said:- Jyu Oh Sei, The Wings of Honneamise, Uchuu no Senshi, Tekkaman Blade, Armor Hunter Mellowlink, Windaria, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ergo Proxy, Tytania and that should do you for a while.

Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Thanks for the additional list of suggestions.

Well, not all on the remarkable animes list up there are of the "sweet" type. :P Fortune would have it that every hour that passes from viewing that series, the craving for a substitute entertainment fix of similar nature diminishes.

Yukikaze is a rather brilliant example of a rather emotionally thrilling (for me at least, somehow) story without any romantic themes at all. The closest it comes is plain friendship and comradery and the possibly abnormal level of trust the lead character has for his aeroplane's combat AI.

Fortunately the world is full of animes with platonic storylines that manage to be fun or spectacular. I'm betting LotGH will deliver on that front perfectly well.

discord

Post by discord »

i'll toss in venus wars´, the anime is good, the manga is awesome.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:I'm not a Gundam fan, but I liked 08th MS Team.
08th MS team is the only Gundam anime that I've bought for myself. That having been said, I've heard from some people that War In The Pocket is better, though to me it always seemed both implausible (they haven't been caught yet?), and melodramatic. I'm guessing War In The Pocket is probably the natural favorite of people in love with the idea of space colonization.
Mikk wrote:For me the C/BotS anime was so enjoyable in fact I'm at the very least planning on getting the english translations of the CotS novels, and perhaps even the japanese prints of the whole series, for exotic collection value if not for a futile attempt at learning to read the language just for the sake of those books.
Unless you're a fan of artificial languages (Abh isn't quite artificial, but this still applies), I don't really recommend the English translations. The fandom was overly successful at getting the Abh terms retained (albeit in Romanized form), but they didn't manage to get copious footnotes (I know this because I have a few volumes). Sticking all of the notes at the back worked for Dune, but that was with words that the average English speaker would have already occasionally run across, and as long as you had a basic idea of them you didn't need a lot of understanding. In contrast, having the simple word 'captain' or 'hexa-commander' or 'squad leader' or whatever untranslated (possibly multiple times on some pages) is honestly annoying. I don't think the translations were all that great, either (with German you can apparently mostly get away with direct translations, but Japanese is too different, especially in how it's actually used, for that to work; it has to be interpreted rather than translated), it always seemed like the translation was rather clunky. Some of the Japanese stuff, though, might be worth it: various art-books & such were printed that never got translated into English.
Sanguinius wrote:Tytania
Right, that was the name of that show!

I guess I should recommend Ryoko's Case File, but as far as I know they never actually did an English release, just Japanese and French.

Sorus

Post by Sorus »

And suddenly I have a list of things I should watch, heh.

Majincarne

Post by Majincarne »

GunBuster, Its a must watch in my opinion for scifi anime.
If you like Gurren lagann you should watch DieBuster, you can really see where the Gurren lagann series pulled its roots from.

Oh and your not talking about lightspeed if your not talking about time as well. They are solidly attached to each other. Something that gunbuster gets right and also Voices of a distant star(I think that was the amines name?) as well.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Hey everyone, just is case another was wondering why the delay's,

stop by 6-commando is doing a guest artist comic page and arioch did one page ( vehicle heavy of course)

take a look, its so neat ( I wonder is arioch could be MIKE ?)

http://www.viciousprint.com/6commando/?p=1031
Last edited by NOMAD on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Oho, very nice design on those hovertanks, wonderful work as always Arioch.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Grayhome wrote:Oho, very nice design on those hovertanks, wonderful work as always Arioch.
its not Arioch design, just his great and detailed version of the hovertanks. the original design belongs to the author of 6-commando.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

ed_montague

Post by ed_montague »

Absolutely beautiful, as befits Arioch. Whee.
Ensign Jardin is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling-place
The stars my destination

Michael

Post by Michael »

Indeed! just read through the comic now (for a few hours :) ) I like!
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!