sci-fi creative writting tips?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Mayhem

Re: sci-fi creative writting tips?

Post by Mayhem »

Michael wrote:
javcs wrote:According to Episode VI Padme didn't die in childbirth (Leia has memories of her, though vague ones) ... and yet in Ep III, she dies in childbirth.
Continuity in Star Wars.....Don't look for it.
I always understood that to be referring to her mother by adoption (who presumably died while Leia was a young child).
Are you sure it referred to Padme?
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)

javcs

Post by javcs »

Mayhem wrote:
Michael wrote:
javcs wrote:According to Episode VI Padme didn't die in childbirth (Leia has memories of her, though vague ones) ... and yet in Ep III, she dies in childbirth.
Continuity in Star Wars.....Don't look for it.
I always understood that to be referring to her mother by adoption (who presumably died while Leia was a young child).
Are you sure it referred to Padme?
Seeing as Luke was asking about "your mother - your real mother" ... pretty sure, yeah.

Southern Cross

Post by Southern Cross »

I see everybody else has forgotten the horror that was Jar Jar Binks....

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Southern Cross wrote:I see everybody else has forgotten the horror that was Jar Jar Binks....
...and you bring it up again. "thx". :evil:

;)
sapere aude.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Trantor wrote:
Southern Cross wrote:I see everybody else has forgotten the horror that was Jar Jar Binks....

;)
Well, let's be fair - for as much as Jar Jar Binks is ... iconic of everything that was wrong about the prequels, if he were the only/primary issue, he would have been forgivable. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only issue, and is more the 'last straw', so to speak. Admittedly, in the Clone Wars TV series, he is not forgivable in any way, shape, or form.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

javcs wrote:
Trantor wrote:

;)
Well, let's be fair - for as much as Jar Jar Binks is ... iconic of everything that was wrong about the prequels, if he were the only/primary issue, he would have been forgivable. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only issue, and is more the 'last straw', so to speak. Admittedly, in the Clone Wars TV series, he is not forgivable in any way, shape, or form.
In defense of the show, it's a damn sight better than the prequels, in spite of Jar Jar. However, it's likely for the best that he's appeared in only a few episodes.

Seriously. Screw that guy...

javcs

Post by javcs »

Mr Bojangles wrote:
javcs wrote:
Trantor wrote:[quote="Southern Cross"I see everybody else has forgotten the horror that was Jar Jar Binks....[/quote

;)
In defense of the show, it's a damn sight better than the prequels, in spite of Jar Jar. However, it's likely for the best that he's appeared in only a few episodes.

The show isn't that bad, true ... except the show version of Jar Jar is this terrible caricature of the movie Jar Jar.
Though it's a sad truth, the movie Jar Jar >>>>>>> show Jar Jar.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

javcs wrote:
Mr Bojangles wrote:

The show isn't that bad, true ... except the show version of Jar Jar is this terrible caricature of the movie Jar Jar.
Though it's a sad truth, the movie Jar Jar >>>>>>> show Jar Jar.
You ain't kidding. That's why I qualified what I said.

How they managed to actually make him worse is not something I want to ponder...

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

javcs wrote: Well, let's be fair - for as much as Jar Jar Binks is ... iconic of everything that was wrong about the prequels, if he were the only/primary issue, he would have been forgivable. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only issue, and is more the 'last straw', so to speak.

You can completely edit Jar Jar out of the Ep.1 movie and not affect the plot at all -- his character serves no purpose (except for "comic relief", at which it fails miserably). Actually, you can similarly edit out all the Gungan scenes to the same effect -- the detour the Jedi take through the "planet core" is irrelevant, and the Gungan element of the final battle is completely inconsequential. Unfortunately, doing so doesn't make the movie any better (it has much deeper problems), but it does make it mercifully shorter.

javcs

Post by javcs »

Arioch wrote:
javcs wrote: Well, let's be fair - for as much as Jar Jar Binks is ... iconic of everything that was wrong about the prequels, if he were the only/primary issue, he would have been forgivable. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only issue, and is more the 'last straw', so to speak.

You can completely edit Jar Jar out of the Ep.1 movie and not affect the plot at all -- his character serves no purpose (except for "comic relief", at which it fails miserably). Actually, you can similarly edit out all the Gungan scenes to the same effect -- the detour the Jedi take through the "planet core" is irrelevant, and the Gungan element of the final battle is completely inconsequential. Unfortunately, doing so doesn't make the movie any better (it has much deeper problems), but it does make it mercifully shorter.
Actually ... I think that the Gungan element of the final battle nominally had a plot-purpose of drawing Trade Federation attention and droids to it, opening up opportunities for the palace and fighter teams to get into Theed and to their objectives.
But that said, that could probably have been accounted for in some other fashion if the need arose.

Of course ... that particular batch of set-piece open field battle idiocy has problems independent of Jar Jar and the Gungans.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

Problem with that last battle is that someone took a potentially epic set up and turned it into a Jar-jar Joke fest.

Lets face it there were the elements for a fantastic battle scene. but the Gungans weapons, their costumes, their equipment, was all just a set up for an OOps-fest.

discord

Post by discord »

it also shows quite well that NO ONE knew how to fight a war effectively....on ANY scale.

Michael

Post by Michael »

I WARNED YOU!! I SAID WE SHOULD NOT OPEN THE GREAT WOUND THAT IS STARWARS!!!! DID ANYONE LISTEN??? NOOO!!......::Sits in a corner sobbing:: I've heard their bringing Vader back..........
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Michael wrote:I WARNED YOU!! I SAID WE SHOULD NOT OPEN THE GREAT WOUND THAT IS STARWARS!!!! DID ANYONE LISTEN??? NOOO!!......::Sits in a corner sobbing:: I've heard their bringing Vader back..........
It could be worse: Think of a clone-army of Jar-jars. And Ewoks.

...hey, we should make fan-f.., err haters-fiction out of that. "Blue Milk Special"-Overdrive!
sapere aude.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Michael wrote:I WARNED YOU!! I SAID WE SHOULD NOT OPEN THE GREAT WOUND THAT IS STARWARS!!!! DID ANYONE LISTEN??? NOOO!!......::Sits in a corner sobbing:: I've heard their bringing Vader back..........
What. How?
Ashrain is best rain.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Count Casimir wrote:
What. How?
well since obiwan is a ghost they make luke have an astral voyage to tune up his power and seek advice from obiwan, but Vader try to stop him along with his friend, Genghis Khan and Hitler

oh and since Jar Jar not dead (unfortunatly) we dont see him in that episode

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

well the rumor is that in the new Star Wars film (Star Wars VII, if you're counting - set for release in 2015) Vader will be the main character and will be brought back to life as a clone (so we can get a new, young actor to play him). Presumably this is a "reimagining" of one of the original expanded universe novels, where the Emperor, Vader and Luke were all cloned (the Emperor's spirit switched bodies into a backup clone when he was killed on the 2nd death star) and fought against the original luke (note that the Clones themselves were all defective and insane, they also crazy spellings of their original names like Luuke). Not much more information about the film but Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher & Harrison Ford are suppose to reprise their original roles as older, wiser mentors to the new leader characters.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It was hard to imagine that the new movies could be worse than the prequels, but that scenario you've outlined might just fit the bill.

Michael

Post by Michael »

.....Might?
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I know, it will be glorious!!!!! If this rumor is true than the best thing about the new Star Wars film will be seeing RedLetterMedia just tear it apart. Honestly though, hearing what the insiders are saying about the thinking of the executives about this is just bizzare "he's an integral part of the franchise." and "Replacing him is virtually impossible. The plan is for him to return and play a significant role in the new films". Leaving aside the obvious fact that film executives are just empty suits without an ounce of creativity or original thinking. You literally have a galaxy to explore and tell stories about, nearly 40yrs of novels, comics, TV series, video games and all they can think of is to retread the same characters that people first saw decades ago, whose's story was very definitly closed. I mean we saw him die, his body burned to ash and then his frick'n ghost appear and ascend to jedi heaven!