Fanart: Lego Loroi Cruiser [in-progress]

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

shrakner

Fanart: Lego Loroi Cruiser [in-progress]

Post by shrakner »

I'm a big fan of Outsider- art style like Titan A.E. but better, and an excellent complex world and storyline- but I'm new to the board, so I hope this is OK to post here.

I used to be a lego master, and as I now have my own place and an income, I started thinking about what I could create. Then it hit me- in the vein of the Lego Mini Star Wars sets, make a Mini Loroi Cruiser. :D

I'm not aiming to build a specific ship class, more of a generic Loroi warship, in order to better work within the limitations of micro-scale Lego building. With no further ado, this is my first design:

I'm currently rather pleased with the primary hull shape, but the engines leave a good bit to be desired. Fiddling with my limited supply of parts (pardon the odd colors and the somewhat-off primary hull) I came up with this configuration:
This configuration makes the engine nacelle a bit shorter and more rounded, adds some heavy beam weapons to the side of the engine, and adds an attempt at a side fin (the square on the side- should look better when the clip and the square are gray and white, respectively) and an engine exhaust flap (yellowish brick).

Outsider fans, tell me what you think! My plan is to refine the design using tests with what bricks I have, doing the primary design work in Lego's Digital Designer tool, then order the physical bricks to build the completed design.

Ktrain

Re: Fanart: Lego Loroi Cruiser [in-progress]

Post by Ktrain »

Miniscale got me playing with my Legos again, though I will I had the time to actually organize the parts and the money for new ones.

Shrakner, do you perhaps read the MicroBricks blog? http://microbricks.blogspot.com/
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

sapere aude.

shrakner

Post by shrakner »

Ktrain wrote:Miniscale got me playing with my Legos again, though I will I had the time to actually organize the parts and the money for new ones.
Hehe, exactly... miniscale forces extra creativity with fewer bricks and can result in some really cool stuff. I'm trying to slowly and carefully build up a collection of varied parts without spending too much or needing to devote much space in my apartment. :P
Ktrain wrote:Shrakner, do you perhaps read the MicroBricks blog? http://microbricks.blogspot.com/
I do now. :P Thanks!

So, Ktrain, what does a fellow brickmaster think of my attempt so far?

Edit: And thanks Trantor! Didn't see your post until after my reply. :) Which engine design do you prefer so far? I'm trying to balance a streamlined look with keeping as many important details as I can.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

I feel the fins are a little far too forward, for reference http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider078.html. Loroi ships seem to be sleeker and less compact.

Also, gave you thought to turn the fins horizontally instead of vertically. Perhaps using some flat plates can get a different effect.

Also taking one of those turrets and removing the stick part could make a rounded end for the fins.

shrakner

Post by shrakner »

Ktrain wrote:I feel the fins are a little far too forward, for reference http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider078.html. Loroi ships seem to be sleeker...
AHA! I knew something was wrong with the engine positioning- they're too far forward. Thanks!

Yeah, I'll try to completely revamp the rear hull and engines with a studs-up design, probably using these as engine struts: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=43723. Also, perhaps one of these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41862 could be amazing in the rear hull (look at the Rapier class and you should spot what I'm thinking of http://well-of-souls.com/gallery/images ... matic4.jpg).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The image link to MiniLegoLoroi_02.jpg is broken, so I can't see the second image in your first post.

Looks great! Those prong pieces certainly are just the thing. And the 41862 piece is, of course, spot-on for the Rapier missile launchers.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Very nice! And speaking of blocks. I still have the blueprints for making a 2/3 scale Tempest in Dwarf Fortress. I suppose it could work in Minecraft too.

Only problem is the ship is truly gigantic. 750 meters long. A full scale tempest would require a 16x9 fortress map. Which, if you have ever played DF you will know is FRICKEN HUGE. My fortresses lag all the time and I only play 4X5 maps. Dwarf fortress simply isn't optimized enough to run a fortress that big, so for now I wait.

In minecraft such a construction would blot out the sun. Here is a fun mockup picture I drew. This is a multiplayer world my friends have running. They have this exporting program that takes a "from orbit" picture of the map. The yellow circle is where everyone spawns and is the "greeting town" of the server.

Assuming blocks an 1-meter squared. The Tempest is drawn (roughly) to scale in green. Big huh? And yes that is a Galaxy class drawn in cyan.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Your scale is off...Galaxy is 600m (roughly)..if tempest is 750m, then it should be longer.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

How do you have the patience or time to even learn DF, too much "FUN." Craziest most non-intuitive interface ever, but it is just an ALPHA :)

You need one of these dohickies.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Tamren wrote: Big huh? And yes that is a Galaxy class drawn in cyan.
Well the Galaxy class was done, the hard part will be to make the scaffolding and preventing the grief. Coordinating the people doing it will be harder. but i do suggest you make it in an "explorer mode" as you can have non physic block, aka a block of lava that dont "leak"

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

TrashMan wrote:Your scale is off...Galaxy is 600m (roughly)..if tempest is 750m, then it should be longer.
Oops I forgot to mention. The version of the Tempest I have in my plans is actually 2/3 scale. I made that picture a long time ago and I can't recall. But I'm pretty sure the Galaxy is to scale. The reason I didn't draw tempest full size was that I needed to post the picture on a forum and it would have been too huge.

EDIT: Actually fudged the math a bit too. A full sized 1-1 scale Tempest would occupy a 16X12 DF map. The 2/3 scale version isn't quite exact (570m instead of 500m long) and would fit in a map of 12X9.

shrakner

Post by shrakner »

Arioch wrote:The image link to MiniLegoLoroi_02.jpg is broken, so I can't see the second image in your first post.
Ah, fixed it- dunno what happened to it.
Arioch wrote:Looks great! Those prong pieces certainly are just the thing.
*SQUEE ARIOCH LIKES IT*
<_<
>_>
*ahem* Moving on...

As far as the other discussion going on- I've never played Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft yet, 'cause I think someone like me would get sucked into creating things in there a bit too much. Mebbe after I've done some other things that need to get done. :P

I also have a revised design for the Lego Loroi cruiser, a bit bigger than the first incarnation. I'll be honest, I didn't like this design at first, but it's starting to grow on me. Certain parts, like the engines and their placement, are definitely more accurate, but I did want the final to be a bit smaller. This design is also somewhat structurally unsound- the entire front hull, the deflector prongs section, is attached via a single stud. I am quite fond of the missile launcher assembly though, so we'll see where that goes.

I have some ideas for the next iteration, and I might even try to model it more specifically after the Vortex class. It would be really cool if I could do several different versions, modeled after different classes- but we'll see. That would also mean ordering a lot more lime green bricks. :P

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

heh, I like how you lined the prongs with silver bricks. Very clever.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

I had no idea half of those lego bricks even existed... I used to play with lego a lot, then I transitioned to K'nex and kind of grew out of it. Now I make stuff out of chainmail so I guess my habit of making stuff out of lots of little things is still strong.

Be careful about getting into DF or Minecraft, it can suck you in :)

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

shrakner wrote:
I have some ideas for the next iteration, and I might even try to model it more specifically after the Vortex class. It would be really cool if I could do several different versions, modeled after different classes- but we'll see. That would also mean ordering a lot more lime green bricks. :P
Shrakner, I must say, the models looking better and better with each attempt .

I might be able to help you get the bricks you need but I need some questiosn answered

A) are you using My creator/ designed by me for your models, because if your are, you can order the kit from lego, not sure of the rules, never used the program ( thinking thought, nice model of arrow Light interceptor). it may be more expensive but you get all the pieces and theirs a risk of it not getting boxed and shipsed to you.

B) have you heard about Pick a Brick, the official lego shop where you can get the individual bricks/element you need ( say to make a few since they do have minimum number amounts limits)

C) a third option might be here http://www.bricklink.com/, the fan version of pick a brick but about 30% less for pieces, in general

now I'm assuming you want to build your models, but those are the best options i can think of
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Don't order from the creator because the cost has an 8 dollar base price and double piece prices.

shrakner

Post by shrakner »

NOMAD wrote:now I'm assuming you want to build your models, but those are the best options i can think of
Yep, I'm using Lego Digital Designer as well as building approximation models from my physical collection (doesn't look as nice, but gives other ideas sometimes and it's a better indicator of how strong a design is). Once I'm happy with the design (or two), I'll order parts through BrickLink. Official Lego parts-ordering has fewer color options and is more expensive.

I think I'm going to try to make sure the gray used is the "old gray", the warm grey. New Legos use a cool gray, and while I prefer cool grey in general, the grey accents on Loroi ships seem to be a warm grey (confirm, Arioch?). However, the old gray bricks are no longer made by Lego, so I don't know how easy it'll be to get both those and lime green- I think I'm already being forced to order from two stores to get all the parts I need.
Tamren wrote:I had no idea half of those lego bricks even existed...
I found a good way to build up some specialized pieces is to get some of the Star Wars Mini bagged sets. Though I don't have any of the 4x1 curved slope bricks to use in mockups, so I use three staggered 2x1 plates to approximate the shape. Also, for anyone who wants to fiddle around in Lego Digital Designer- use the "Universe" option when creating a new file. That unlocks all parts and colors, while the "Design by Me" only allows use of the parts and color combinations available through Lego's ordering service.

Once I get a good Loroi ship design, I am considering an similarly-scaled Umiak or Terran ship- might as well get my shipping costs' worth of pieces. :P I have some ideas on building the Bellarmine, but an Umiak ship... that's gonna be a challenge.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

shrakner wrote: I think I'm going to try to make sure the gray used is the "old gray", the warm grey. New Legos use a cool gray, and while I prefer cool grey in general, the grey accents on Loroi ships seem to be a warm grey (confirm, Arioch?).
The reddish light at Naam makes the silver a warmer color and gives the green a kind of lime cast to it. In neutral white light the Loroi color scheme looks like this: http://www.well-of-souls.com/gallery/im ... der800.jpg

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

shrakner wrote:
NOMAD wrote:now I'm assuming you want to build your models, but those are the best options i can think of
Yep, I'm using Lego Digital Designer as well as building approximation models from my physical collection (doesn't look as nice, but gives other ideas sometimes and it's a better indicator of how strong a design is). Once I'm happy with the design (or two), I'll order parts through BrickLink. Official Lego parts-ordering has fewer color options and is more expensive.

I think I'm going to try to make sure the gray used is the "old gray", the warm grey. New Legos use a cool gray, and while I prefer cool grey in general, the grey accents on Loroi ships seem to be a warm grey (confirm, Arioch?). However, the old gray bricks are no longer made by Lego, so I don't know how easy it'll be to get both those and lime green- I think I'm already being forced to order from two stores to get all the parts I need.
well that great to hear, if you need any help for pieces or you need another modeler, just ask, been wanting to make a arrow light Interceptor myself.

I might have some older grey brick is you need them

@Arioch: AWWW I was liking the brighter green colours, oh well. But I didn;t think you went that far with the colouring, now I am impressed
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD