MESSENGER

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Trantor

Re: MESSENGER

Post by Trantor »

Necroposting, YAY!

So, last time i checked MESSENGERs mission will be terminated tomorrow.

There is still enough propellant for two more years, and scientists have petitioned on an extension for that time. I hope they will continue as there´s still a LOT to find on that oddball planet out there.
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Trantor wrote:Necroposting, YAY!

So, last time i checked MESSENGERs mission will be terminated tomorrow.

There is still enough propellant for two more years, and scientists have petitioned on an extension for that time. I hope they will continue as there´s still a LOT to find on that oddball planet out there.
would be silly not to continue the mission.

It like you throw a really expensive sport car with half a tank full of fuel. just because your another continent and cant bring it back home. At least have a nice joy ride until you run out of fuel.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Perhaps, like some actors have to, the scientists on the mission should agree to a wage reduce to continue working on the next 'season'? :shock:

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Possibly good news for our robotic friend in mercurys orbit: According to information from the 44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (2013) there´s an additional budget of $200mio for FY 2013 (due to be signed by the Prez), and there is already a roadmap for a so-called "Second Extended Mission": http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/2907.pdf

Keep your fingers crossed!
sapere aude.