Hello...

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

discord

Re: Hello...

Post by discord »

guys, ST ships can fight while doing warp speeds if the ST ship just does a warp skip every few seconds it would be impossible to target it, and the sub light 'impulse drive' can crank out so much acceleration it's just silly....bottom line, ST ships have such an absurd speed advantage it's like having a competition between a horse and a top-end sports car....armored and armed like a abrams but still just as fast...it just ain't fair to the horse, it cant win.

BlackAeronaut

Post by BlackAeronaut »

Kinda the point I'm trying to make here. Just the Discovery by herself is such a curbstomp. She'd probably win the entire war inside a week, single handedly.

O_O; "And she never even stopped once to refuel."
O_O; "Mmm-Hmm."

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Honestly, the entire thing is like comparing apples to... Well, hand grenades. The former gets turned into chunky moosh by the latter. The fastest ships in the Outsider universe pull what?... Roughly 30-35G's? Even the slower ships of Star Trek canon can pull hundreds of G's of sublight acceleration. They can fight while at superluminal speeds (a feat impossible, as far as we know, in Outsider), and as a side effect, can outrun any and all missile weapons present... And not to mention... They dont even need their main shield systems to be utterly immune to a number of primary weapons available here in Outsider. Mass drivers, and lasers would be efficiently absorbed by the navigational deflector alone... And again, missiles simply could not catch it. Not making this up, its come up in a few episodes of TNG, with statements made to the effect of 'pure EM' weapons being unable to penetrate the deflector (check out memory-alpha.org, or search for a bit if you dont trust that source, you'll find it.). Then, assuming that the particle beams and plasma could hit it (and are not simply brushed off by the cattle guard, so to speak...), it would be a toss up as to weather or not they would even be able to affect the primary shields (admittedly, the Star Trek definition of directed energy weapons gets... Ambiguous, at times, ranging from phasers to charged projectiles...)

Supposedly, this is why phasers, disruptors and photon torpedoes are the weapons of choice. They actually do something. Taking what is canon as 'fact', however little might be behind it scientifically, setting up a Trek ship in an Outsider setting is hillariously one sided... Any decent mid-sized class of the M/AM (Matter/Anti-Matter) era would make short work of literally any number of vessels sent against it. by dint of vastly superior capabilities. Unless your intent is to have said ship be an unstoppable juggernaut, its a bit... Just a tad, overpowered. Babylon 5 isn't a bad idea for a tech base... Perhaps looking over Sword of the Stars would give you some thoughts as to a viable basis as well.

Just a Crazy-Man

Post by Just a Crazy-Man »

Your right.

Not a fair fight if Starfleet was willing to enter the war but it's not.

XXX

What about Wing Commander?

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

What about Wing Commander?
On the one side, the Wing Commander Universe is closer to the Outsider Universe in technology:
There are Jump-points which are basically gravity wells connecting different starsystems and also different jumppoints in one system. So no Warpdrive as in Star Trek is needed or used.

But on the other side, the techlevel in Wing Commander seems higher:
Plasma Weapons mounted on fighters, anitmatterguns on the capital ships, all fighters have shields, the Behemoth (!), working cloaking devices, etc...
And these shield and armor specs I found for the WC ships seem very high to me, but I don´t know how they compare to the Loroi/Umiak stats in the Insider.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Just a Crazy-Man

Plus don't forget the Torpedoes...

discord

Post by discord »

wing commander could work, assuming you use something terran from early in the human-kilrathi war, no cloaks, no FTL in system, cap ships rather slow in system as well but very fast fighters with decent firepower that sadly have abysmal range...as an added bonus they also have shielding, that will not stop much in the outsider verse. but assuming you do not want a curbstomp the two sides could learn a lot from each other, and 'win' that way.

interesting detail though, wing commander uses non-newtonian engines, which fucks things up....second thought, wing commander physics will not work.

yeah, so far i think B5 is the best bet, still awesome as hell, and they can also FTL in on enemy planets and win the war in short order, but at least they CAN be defeated by the enemy, which ST simply can't.

Just a Crazy-Man

And Mass Effect or Halo?

BlackAeronaut

Post by BlackAeronaut »

Just a Crazy-Man wrote:And Mass Effect or Halo?
The UNSC might make for a better sparring partner. Before they started capturing tech from the Covenant, their ships didn't even have artificial gravity. Weapons were pretty much all of the projectile varietty, along with what the Loroi would consider 'The Coil Gun From Hell' (aka the MAC Gun). From what I understand, the reason the Loroi don't invest too heavily in coil guns is because they aren't 'fast enough'. However, given that the UNSC is used to dealing with this limitation anyhow, the MACs present a certain je nai se quois that both Loroi and Umiak weapon systems are lacking in. In fact, if you want hard figures, here's a bit from the Halo Nation wiki:
Halo Nation Wiki wrote:A standard ship-based MAC fires slugs of either ferric Tungsten or depleted Uranium and aproximately 9.1 meter's long at around 30,000 meters per second. The high muzzle speed gives the 600-ton slug the kinetic energy and momentum necessary to damage a target and partially mitigates the unguided nature of the slug and its lack of maneuverability.
Yeah, pretty sure that'd be a ship-killer for the Umiak.

Now, depending on what you want to do, we could run into trouble. If you're after a fusion-fic (where your replacing the Outsider-Terrans with the Halo-Terrans) you run into trouble with the time differential. You see, Halo is taking place at around the late 2400's. And the time setting for Outsider is in the mid-2100's - at that time in Halo, Earth is going through several rather nasty wars due to overpopulation. They don't have FTL yet and their tech level is below even that of the Outsider-Terrans.

However, if you're going for a straight-up cross-over fic... That can be doable, but you have to be bringing numbers with you, because UNSC tech (at least, at the height of the Covenant war) is roughly on-par with Loroi and Umiak tech. Perhaps a slipspace drive goes haywire and shifts an entire fleet of UNSC ships?

Just a Crazy-Man

Why not make it 2552 were a alien refugees arrive at Harvest?

BlackAeronaut

Post by BlackAeronaut »

Just a Crazy-Man wrote:Why not make it 2552 were a alien refugees arrive at Harvest?
Again, time differential. As well as a space differential. I may be wrong about this, but it's quite possible that Harvest is well within either the territory of the Loroi, the Umiak, or even the contested area between the two.

Like Dr. Emmet Brown once said, you're just not thinking four-dimensionally!

Just a Crazy-Man

Indeed but it makes sense as the refuges just happen to find Earth like that is a 1 in a trillion. Now UNSC has hundreds of systems and about kinda easier given their one ship limited fuel and range.

XXX

Now I had a idea they had a little nudge by a higher power a race that are called Dragons have been on the sides watching as the war went out of control I assume in my idea the reason the Cats have cloaking tech far more advance then anything the Loroi got is because it was unknowingly given to them......I also had a idea on the side that Humans create the USN or United Star Nations.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Or since you're creating an AU anyway you can just shift the Soia timeline back 300 years

EDIT: Also, how about Freespace? The GTVA shows up and says "Hey guys, just so you know we brought some firepower...and some enemies that can make stars go supernova..."

Just a Crazy-Man

Nice...:)

Just a Crazy-Man

Plus it is Loroi date not ours.

discord

Post by discord »

black: yes it has the damage potential to kill ships....or planets for that matter, hitting a MOBILE target however....not so much.

the 'cats' are not canon at all.....but if you are doing crossfics the more the merrier? why not go for the whole shebang and do a marvel secret wars type thing(there can be only one) and toss in ships and crews from all over the place....how did that comic based on that idea pan out? i think it tanked hard sadly...

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

It went well (from a viewer's perspective), until it stopped updating. I don't even know if it's still up.

Different tech levels can really make that sort of thing hard to do. The only 'straight forward' crossovers that I can immediately think of are Star Wars/WH40k/maybe Schlock Mercenary, and all three are kinda 'dialed to 11' universes.

As I best recall, Star Destroyers are supposed to pull somewhere in the thousands of gees of acceleration...

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

I remember that, it was by Kris Straub as a spinoff of Starslip. I know Starslip ended fairly recently, but I don't think he ever went back to that comic. Unfortunate, it's actually how I discovered Outsider (and a few other comics, actually).
Ashrain is best rain.

BlackAeronaut

Post by BlackAeronaut »

discord wrote:black: yes it has the damage potential to kill ships....or planets for that matter, hitting a MOBILE target however....not so much.
Yes, but the UNSC has experience in dealing with moving targets... they tend to use highly specialized AIs to deal with moving targets, and this includes detecting and parsing minute tells (much like a highly skilled martial artist that reads your body languge to judge what your next action will be).

At any rate, UNSC captains usually don't like to fire off their MAC rounds until the projectile's travel time is down to a few seconds anyhow... and the speed at which those rounds travel will effectively halve the warning time the Umiak would have.

Also, while the Umiak are known to commence engagements from a distance, they are equally well known for their willingness to close in with their enemies. This would be a lethal mistake to make when fighting the UNSC. It would probably be a while until a survivor got back home to tell everyone what not to do when fighting the UNSC... and then they'll learn just how willing the UNSC is to use nukes. They'll even use planet-crackers if they feel the need is great enough. Wonder how the Umiak would respond when given the same ultimatum the Americans gave the Japanese.

But let's not just stop with the Umiak. I'm pretty sure that the UNSC, especially post-Covenant War UNSC, would not be too terribly pleased with the Loroi's attitude towards them. You know, the whole side-with-us-or-perish thing. That could lead to some messy misunderstandings.

Just a Crazy-Man

Indeed we may end up with a war since the Loroi methods end with genocide.