modern medicine

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: modern medicine

Post by fredgiblet »

OBD = On-Board Diagnostics?

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

fredgiblet wrote:OBD = On-Board Diagnostics?
Yes.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:Micromachines will no doubt become an important part of in-hospital medical treatment (as medical probes are today), carefully directed by doctors (or at least large-scale medical computers), but I'm dubious about their applications in first aid. I don't think you'd want to trust such machines to diagnose and treat an injury on their own; the potential to do more harm than good seems very high to me.
Certainly nanomachine diagnostics without any other form of support would be dubious (how do they even know where they are?), but 'drug dispenser' nanomachines (presumably based on haemoglobin or the protein shell of a virus) could potentially be useful, as could selective compound absorber versions (presumably slowly releasing whatever was absorbed afterwards, to give the body more time to process whatever it is: could be useful for e.g. caron-monoxide poisoning).

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

yes that thing that make any mechanic charge you 120$ to plug an computer and say how much your screw

MOUAHAHAHAH!

But i know a lots of people who would pay a fortune to have an OBD on their wife!

but i think they did developed (but not tested on humain) a kind of "hunter seeker" gold plated protein that accumulate on cancerous tissues. Then you just need some microwave to kill and cauterize the tumor

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:
yes that thing that make any mechanic charge you 120$ to plug an computer and say how much your screw

MOUAHAHAHAH!
Actually i like it. I have my own Prog on the Laptop, and it works perfectly. If you show up on a sale with that (used cars) you easily safe ten or twenty times the money you spent on it. BTDT.

Karst45 wrote:But i know a lots of people who would pay a fortune to have an OBD on their wife!
:mrgreen:
Karst45 wrote:but i think they did developed (but not tested on humain) a kind of "hunter seeker" gold plated protein that accumulate on cancerous tissues. Then you just need some microwave to kill and cauterize the tumor
Sounds very interesting. Do you have a link?
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Trantor wrote:
Karst45 wrote:but i think they did developed (but not tested on humain) a kind of "hunter seeker" gold plated protein that accumulate on cancerous tissues. Then you just need some microwave to kill and cauterize the tumor
Sounds very interesting. Do you have a link?
Unfortunately no, it was spoken to me from a friend who study in medicine and who happen to have suffered from cancer (but he doing better) So i suppose he did his search, ill ask him if there some raw data somewhere.

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Karst - Might you have been talking about this http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2009/gold ... -0504.html?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sound like it indeed