Loroi ship anomalies

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

captainsmirk

Loroi ship anomalies

Post by captainsmirk »

Ok so the title of this topic is probably inaccurate as there is probably a perfectly logical explanation for all of these.

And yes I am one of those nerds who spends far to long staring at the made-up statistics for fictional space ships...

Anyway having looking at the info for Loroi ships on Insider I've noticed some "oddities".

I'll start with the Sabre class command cruiser, which is noted as being built in large numbers during the Semoset offensive which seems a bit odd for a command ship. I assume their "command" function is carrying out squadron command duties similar to the Tsunami, Black Razor and Winter's Tide in SG-51.
Also they are described as being heavily armed yet their only offensive armament is 2 pulse cannon mounts which seems low compared to ships like the Katana (which is admittedly somewhat larger and modern) and even the latest versions of the Scimitar.

Next the presence of pulse cannons on Emperor Eighth Dawn's flagship which was destroyed in 2140 when (according the Timeline) the Historians didn't even agree to share the technology (i.e. before any period required for development) that produced the pulse cannon until the next year.

Finally the Eye of Heaven being armed with medium lasers, a weapon not present on any other Loroi ship, and also (presumably) of a technological level similar to the Terrans. I thought this might be because it is an older ship than most of the others, but it also has a Wave Loom which I would imagine a ship has to be basically built around and not something you can refit to an older hull.

Anyway these are just things that seemed odd to me...

Nick

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Loroi ship anomalies

Post by Arioch »

captainsmirk wrote: I'll start with the Sabre class command cruiser, which is noted as being built in large numbers during the Semoset offensive which seems a bit odd for a command ship. I assume their "command" function is carrying out squadron command duties similar to the Tsunami, Black Razor and Winter's Tide in SG-51. Also they are described as being heavily armed yet their only offensive armament is 2 pulse cannon mounts which seems low compared to ships like the Katana (which is admittedly somewhat larger and modern) and even the latest versions of the Scimitar.
The Saber, Vanguard and Katana are all essentially "battlecruisers," that is, ships with capital ship armament but which are faster than, not as well protected as, and not as expensive as true battleships. I've given them different designations to help distinguish them from each other, but they are somewhat descriptive. In the era before the war, the type of ship that filled the "battlecruiser " slot (bigger than a cruiser, but smaller than a battleship) was a hybrid cruiser/carrier that was used to lead squadrons of smaller vessels, and that would have been called a "command cruiser." Saber was designed in this model, but because it was one of the first ships to mount the powerful new pulse cannon, it was produced in large numbers during the early part of the war as an alternative to building the more expensive, and comparatively outdated Halberd battleships. The early pulse cannons were not as efficient as those produced ~20 years later, so four mounts was the most that a ship the size of the Saber could handle at the time.
captainsmirk wrote:Next the presence of pulse cannons on Emperor Eighth Dawn's flagship which was destroyed in 2140 when (according the Timeline) the Historians didn't even agree to share the technology (i.e. before any period required for development) that produced the pulse cannon until the next year.
That is indeed an anachronism. I seem to recall having noticed it before and fixing it, but if so it somehow got un-fixed. I have re-fixed it.
captainsmirk wrote:Finally the Eye of Heaven being armed with medium lasers, a weapon not present on any other Loroi ship, and also (presumably) of a technological level similar to the Terrans.
That is a typo; it should read "medium blaster."

captainsmirk

Re: Loroi ship anomalies

Post by captainsmirk »

Well as I thought there were logical explanations for all of them (the Skymaster one had been nigerling at me for a while...).

Thanks for feeding my nerdish pedantism :D

Nick