An idea on how to accelerate the creation of this comics.

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Absalom

Re: An idea on how to accelerate the creation of this comics

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:There are 3D printing shops that can make pretty decent physical models from 3D wireframes. This is something I'll look into in the future.
If you decide to go through with it, then either a run of those, or a set of metal molds (as I recall, Shapeways can do metal) for models, would probably be a good choice for a Kickstarter campaign.

VictorValor

Post by VictorValor »

A swimsuit calendar! You'd sell a million of them. To both, sad neckbeards, and people who desperately want to see this comic progress. Also, I like the novel idea as well, though comics and novels are very different mediums with very different ways to tell a story. Then you could take the funds from the novel and finish the comic. You could even switch it up if you wanted by having parts where the novel and the comic diverge.

EDIT: (1/8/2013)

More holidays in the year so that Arioch doesn't lose track of time, and will have more guilt-driven bursts of productivity.

Michael

Post by Michael »

fredgiblet wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:Smaller -- a 144:1 model would be 5.2 meters long.
I'm not seeing the problem.

:mrgreen:
I'd buy that.....
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I wonder if, like how American kids have racecar beds, Loroi kids have spaceship beds. :mrgreen:
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CJ Miller wrote:I wonder if, like how American kids have racecar beds, Loroi kids have spaceship beds. :mrgreen:
No. They're outdoors most of the time, even to sleep. :P

Segev

Post by Segev »

Much earlier in this thread, somebody suggested "donations for extra pages."

I actually think this could work. What Arioch would have to do is put up a donations "progress bar" and a goal of $X raised per page. He sets a date N days after the current one, and has the bar say, "If this bar reaches $X today, the next page will be up by [date N days from now]."

This way, he can establish a timeframe that gives him enough space to actually finish commissioned work and schedule doing that page as a piece of commissioned work.

He could even set it up so that the person who made the largest (non-anonymous) donation in that time gets the print of the page, as if it were commissioned by them. It's no more work or product cost than he'd have to make normally for a commissioned work, and it would create a mild bit of bidding competition amongst the donors, which might accelerate things a bit.

Because the donation bar would show the progress towards making the next page a priority for Arioch, and the fans would be able to see how near or far it was from completion, it might - if the fans have the money and interest - spur more donations. It ties the production of the comic to the fans' financial devotion to it in a direct fashion that they can appreciate. By setting a date-positive that shifts one day later each day that passes without meeting the goal, Arioch can schedule his work so that a sudden meeting of the goal doesn't make him not have time to do his commissions. And, if he gets suddenly busy, he can adjust that date-positive to still further in the future. That's why the promise each day is, "If it reaches $X by today, I will have the comic up N days from now." That way, if, tomorrow, his paying work schedule suddenly shifts due to a big new commission, he can change N to be longer in the future for tomorrow's "if reaches goal today" deadline.

Just saying, "if he reaches some nebulous amount that might support him, he might quit his day job and work on this full time" won't really cut it. It doesn't give enough tangible "this for that" to the fans, who have no idea how much others are donating and thus don't know that their $5, $10, $20 will really make a difference. Even a one-time donation of something ludicrous like $1000 from one moderately well-off fan would not be enough to actually quit his day job and do it regularly, because it wouldn't demonstrate a steady income stream. Arioch has to feed himself (and, if he has one, his family; I honestly don't know if he's a bachelor or not). But a way for donations-as-commissions-for-new-pages to work, where fans see directly how much their donations are building? That would incentivize donations by letting them know that their $20 puts them $20 closer to $X. And when $X is reached, they KNOW a new page is coming in a specified period of time.

(And, just to re-emphasize, as it gets closer to $X, you might see an upswing in large donations as people try to 'bid' on that one original print being sent to them as their commission. edit: You might even put a "highest donation so far: $Y" note on it, so people who want to "bid" on it successfully...can. Call it a "thank you to our top 5 donors" section, even, if you like.)

SageofTimes

Post by SageofTimes »

Actually, there is a site for what Segev talked about. It's called Patreon. Another webcomic I read, My Life with Fel, has a site for it, and...well, I mean check out their page: $378 per page ($5 per page per donor on average) isn't a bad job by ANY means (and considering he updates once a week, constantly experiments with different art styles for pages, and lives in a cheaper place then the US, this is a win-win).

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

The problem is that that would require Arioch to be able to work on demand. If he was able to do that he'd be working on new pages already.

discord

Post by discord »

fred: yup, and last time i checked arioch already got a pretty good job, pays well and he actually likes it....perhaps a bit too many work hours/week on average for the fans to be happy about it though.

Segev

Post by Segev »

That's why I said he should have a date by which it would be done, not "it will be done always within X time of meeting the goal." He can schedule it however he looks out and forecasts his time.

But if he has a job with which he's happy and does not wish to devote more time to this comic than he already does, that is certainly his prerogative. It's a free service he provides us, and we've no right to demand more.

SageofTimes

Post by SageofTimes »

Which is the reason why I suggested Patreon, because it doesn't lock you into monthly/weekly/daily anything. You get paid at the end of the month based on how much you have produced.

Edit: Although, if it's mostly time, not money, I can understand, it just seemed like money was the main issue discussed.

discord

Post by discord »

sage: one of the 'issues' is the art style arioch uses, the results are fabulous, but very work(and time) consuming, and not in a simply predictable pattern, take for example the bridge scene, it took a full year and change before a new page came(incidentally page 51), then there was like a new page every week, or at least it felt like it at times.

why? because arioch 3d models the entire room, designs it down to what each console on the bridge is for(makes it easier to make it logical where people are standing) inserts 3d character models for reference, and THEN he draws it. Once the spade work for the scene is done, the rest is relatively fast, but that original spade work is quite a lot of work.

and this is also the reason for the current 'hiatus' since arioch is doing up a new scene, the highland shuttle which will probably be where the next 20-30 pages will take place.

SageofTimes

Post by SageofTimes »

discord wrote:sage: one of the 'issues' is the art style arioch uses, the results are fabulous, but very work(and time) consuming, and not in a simply predictable pattern, take for example the bridge scene, it took a full year and change before a new page came(incidentally page 51), then there was like a new page every week, or at least it felt like it at times.

why? because arioch 3d models the entire room, designs it down to what each console on the bridge is for(makes it easier to make it logical where people are standing) inserts 3d character models for reference, and THEN he draws it. Once the spade work for the scene is done, the rest is relatively fast, but that original spade work is quite a lot of work.

and this is also the reason for the current 'hiatus' since arioch is doing up a new scene, the highland shuttle which will probably be where the next 20-30 pages will take place.
It's good to know the comic is till being worked on. Possibly discussions such as this could be mitigated with a stickied forum post from Arioch explaining their creative process (especially why it takes so long, and why money isn't so much of an issue). I apologize for my ignorance, I was simply working from what I knew, and trying to provide an avenue of solution.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

SageofTimes wrote:
discord wrote:sage: one of the 'issues' is the art style arioch uses, the results are fabulous, but very work(and time) consuming, and not in a simply predictable pattern, take for example the bridge scene, it took a full year and change before a new page came(incidentally page 51), then there was like a new page every week, or at least it felt like it at times.

It's good to know the comic is till being worked on. Possibly discussions such as this could be mitigated with a stickied forum post from Arioch explaining their creative process (especially why it takes so long, and why money isn't so much of an issue). I apologize for my ignorance, I was simply working from what I knew, and trying to provide an avenue of solution.
+1
Don't delay, join today!