An idea on how to accelerate the creation of this comics.

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dfacto

Re: An idea on how to accelerate the creation of this comics

Post by dfacto »

How does it trigger discontinuity? Just don't spend so much time doing perfect inking and coloring and it will go faster. Going full digital is an option, but a painful one that would require a psychotic amount of modelling work. Want a new costume? Time to start a new model from scratch!

As for endless discussion, there's an easy way to handle that: ignore. If someone doesn't like that inking and shading isn't perfect then they can suck it up.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

dfacto wrote:How does it trigger discontinuity? Just don't spend so much time doing perfect inking and coloring and it will go faster. Going full digital is an option, but a painful one that would require a psychotic amount of modelling work. Want a new costume? Time to start a new model from scratch!

As for endless discussion, there's an easy way to handle that: ignore. If someone doesn't like that inking and shading isn't perfect then they can suck it up.
unfortunately that not how artist think.

They see their drawing and look at other people drawing and realize how bad they are (even if awesome) Once their reach a point were their drawing are better than the one their were comparing their work to, they shift to someone else.

szurkey

Post by szurkey »

Maybe we should all boycott the discussion board so Arioch has nothing else to do for leisure but new Outsider pages?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

szurkey wrote:Maybe we should all boycott the discussion board so Arioch has nothing else to do for leisure but new Outsider pages?
That... actually brilliant... we should also have someone stalk his house and prevent him from buying new games.

If he didnt need internet to post the image i would also say cut the TV/internet.

VictorValor

Post by VictorValor »

One idea to raise funds is to add a store section to the site, where one can buy cheap, outsider-themed merchandise. I would totally buy a shirt from here. It worked for Penny Arcade.

Now, I'm aware that there is a site we can go to where we can buy a hat with the word, "Outsider" on it. But I've been to that site and it is terrible. Their search engine didn't work and there was a bunch of other stuff from everywhere else on the Internet. It felt like a digital version of those giant bins with various products all thrown in there. The site also looks sketchy as all get out.

A more accessible online store for Outsider would go a long way for raising funds for the webcomic

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Make printing on a mug or a shirt you can own - in Moscow this service doesn't cost more than $ 10.

Arioch can find a man to do with him epoxy model of Tempest in 1/144 scale. Starship models are not so many and Tempest has an original design, I think this model will find a buyer.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Alexandr Koori wrote:Make printing on a mug or a shirt you can own - in Moscow this service doesn't cost more than $ 10.

Arioch can find a man to do with him epoxy model of Tempest in 1/144 scale. Starship models are not so many and Tempest has an original design, I think this model will find a buyer.
Smaller -- a 144:1 model would be 5.2 meters long.
Don't delay, join today!

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Tempest is so big?
Model need be 20-30 cm long. I think this is optimal size.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

The scale is then 1/2500.

If we could provide good quality textures and 3d models for comic, but I afraid, that in reality he has to use same amount of time browsing our trash to find out the ones, which can be fitted to his visions.
Supporter of forum RPG

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

If we could provide good quality textures and 3d models
M... Why you need textures?

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

The 3d graphics on comic is made of textures.
If I remember right, the wall on last panel is photo from trash truck or something.
Supporter of forum RPG

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

I'm at the point I'd just rather just read Outsider's script/novel.

I already have an idea of what everything looks like. I just want to know what happens.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

There are 3D printing shops that can make pretty decent physical models from 3D wireframes. This is something I'll look into in the future.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

CJ Miller wrote:Smaller -- a 144:1 model would be 5.2 meters long.
I'm not seeing the problem.

:mrgreen:

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

Technical sculptor make excellent master-model .
And this allows you to greatly simplify the division model on parts and assembly process.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:There are 3D printing shops that can make pretty decent physical models from 3D wireframes. This is something I'll look into in the future.
If you decide to go through with it, then either a run of those, or a set of metal molds (as I recall, Shapeways can do metal) for models, would probably be a good choice for a Kickstarter campaign.

VictorValor

Post by VictorValor »

A swimsuit calendar! You'd sell a million of them. To both, sad neckbeards, and people who desperately want to see this comic progress. Also, I like the novel idea as well, though comics and novels are very different mediums with very different ways to tell a story. Then you could take the funds from the novel and finish the comic. You could even switch it up if you wanted by having parts where the novel and the comic diverge.

EDIT: (1/8/2013)

More holidays in the year so that Arioch doesn't lose track of time, and will have more guilt-driven bursts of productivity.

Michael

Post by Michael »

fredgiblet wrote:
CJ Miller wrote:Smaller -- a 144:1 model would be 5.2 meters long.
I'm not seeing the problem.

:mrgreen:
I'd buy that.....
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I wonder if, like how American kids have racecar beds, Loroi kids have spaceship beds. :mrgreen:
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CJ Miller wrote:I wonder if, like how American kids have racecar beds, Loroi kids have spaceship beds. :mrgreen:
No. They're outdoors most of the time, even to sleep. :P