Outsider Ground War

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Outsider Ground War

Post by GeoModder »

discord wrote:well in human history most organized armies have gone with the 'if the spoils of war are not making a nuisance of themselves leave'em be until the area is secured, then the spoiling gets started.' policy.
Squealing pigs in the baggage train? :lol:

Majincarne

Post by Majincarne »

As a theoretical, How do you think a loroi ground force would react to a human sniper. With "I can see your thoughts" powers I bet they haven't really put that much development into shot tracking.
Assumptions based off the premise that they wont just say F that its scary air evac out and hit the area from orbit.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I presume they'd deal with it the same way a human ground force would. There are lots of potential threats that might not have a detectable signature -- automated weapons, robots, resistant aliens, other Loroi with jamming abilities -- so one would hope that they prepare for such cases.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

I would imagine that Loroi who can achieve Lotai are more or less automatically assigned to sniper school, in the absence of even rarer abilities.

What I think Loroi would be not used to dealing would not be 'invisible' individual/small groups of snipers, but 'invisible' large formations of troops.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

JQBogus wrote:I would imagine that Loroi who can achieve Lotai are more or less automatically assigned to sniper school, in the absence of even rarer abilities.

What I think Loroi would be not used to dealing would not be 'invisible' individual/small groups of snipers, but 'invisible' large formations of troops.

Given how rare ground engagements are in outsider. I don't think there are that many loroi who are used to dealing with large formation of any kind of troop.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Just a Crazy-Man

Post by Just a Crazy-Man »

Yeah a long siege and the only way to win is to take out the orbital batteries power supply in a well guarded and protected fortresses.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Just a Crazy-Man wrote:Yeah a long siege and the only way to win is to take out the orbital batteries power supply in a well guarded and protected fortresses.
Crazy do U play any Halo games? cause the above, sounds very familiar to the Halo Reach / Halo: Fall of Reach story line. Enemy force attacks in strength, using a combination of space and ground assets, fleet take up the defending human fleet time while landing ground troops to take out the orbit defence power systems.

I could see that happening against the Umaik, but may not the Loroi, or maybe now because the farseers have been blinded ?

@Jericho: rare, but significant

top quote the insider ground war guide: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_ground_war.html

Really large-scale battles between ground forces don't usually happen in Outsider, because in order to land troops, the invader must have space superiority, and if you have space superiority, you can annihilate a large portion of the defender's forces safely from orbit before you land. There have been planetary invasions in the Loroi-Umiak war by both sides, but in pretty much all cases (at least between the major combatants) these were mopping-up exercises in which the defender had already retreated most of their forces and evacuated as many civilians as possible, or else the planet had already been treated to a bombardment that destroyed most of the defenders. To leave a large conventional ground force on a planet that your star fleet can't hold is to basically throw them away.
and
In some of the asymmetrical invasions, such as the recent Umiak invasion of Orgus worlds, the goal was to take the population and infrastructure intact, and so large numbers of Umiak ground forces would have been involved. This kind of action could have been opposed by large scale Orgus ground forces, but doing so risks having the Umiak change their mind about wanting to take you alive (as they did when the Loroi resisted effectively on Seren and the other Steppes colonies), so unless you're willing to commit mass suicide, once you've lost space control of the system you're probably better off just surrendering and hoping that your side eventually retakes the system.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Just a Crazy-Man

Yay a new guide.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It's just the information from this thread.

Just a Crazy-Man

Arioch wrote:It's just the information from this thread.
Got it...thanks for posting it. :)