Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: 14.12.1972

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Reaching LEO is still the biggest hurdle (either technical or financial). And the free tonnage could be used for a booster to bring a payload up to the required orbit.
This is not just a booster, it is an entire upper stage, adding complexity and - cost.
Wrong choice of word. I did mean a space-based propulsion system strapped on a payload, not the first stage to lift a payload out of Earth's atmosphere.
But what's the difference of an upper stage in a multistage rocket, and having one available on the payload once it reaches orbit on a "spaceplane"?
Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:There's plenty of payload crossovers already in classic rocket launches.
I just had a good chuckle on the thought that maybe North Korea or Iran would knock on the door...
There's alot more countries then those two. :roll:
Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Dunno, but such a plane could be used as a cheaper and more "on the spot" vehicle to bring up spares and technicians to fix stuff in orbit (the Hubble maintenance flights come to mind).
The price for a launch is always the same. Without a fully load the price per Kg rises.
So? There's different sizes of rockets for different mass of payload all over the world. If economy of scale would be the main issue, there would only be the most efficient type of rocket payload/propulsion wise.
Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Well, there's two British-invented technologies I could mention that made another country powerful beyond means: the steam catapult, and the canted flight deck...
...which would be worthless without an invention from Germany: The axial-turbo jet-engine. 8-)
If you mean a sort of turbofan, the Brits seem to have invented their own first version as well mid-war, thus before scientific stuff was appropriated from Germany.
And even if not, it's not because the Germans invented something first, it could never have been invented somewhere else later. :P

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

GeoModder wrote:But what's the difference of an upper stage in a multistage rocket, and having one available on the payload once it reaches orbit on a "spaceplane"?
Basically not much.
But with this Skylonthingy there´s only 15 tons of payload, and that upper stage eats this payload up. Since it´s not vertically mounted like on a rocket, you need additional supportstructure, eating up even more of that tiny payload.
And those satellites for GEO are usually around 10 - 12 tons recently. There´s no margin for a stage plus support.

GeoModder wrote:So? There's different sizes of rockets for different mass of payload all over the world. If economy of scale would be the main issue, there would only be the most efficient type of rocket payload/propulsion wise.
See? The spacemarket isn´t that simple.

GeoModder wrote:If you mean a sort of turbofan, the Brits seem to have invented their own first version as well mid-war, thus before scientific stuff was appropriated from Germany.
But radial was a dead end, and the Gloster Meteor was a lame duck.
And not even valuable for further research in jet aviation.

GeoModder wrote:And even if not, it's not because the Germans invented something first, it could never have been invented somewhere else later. :P
Wouldn´t bet on that one...
sapere aude.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:And those satellites for GEO are usually around 10 - 12 tons recently. There´s no margin for a stage plus support.
3-5 tons of rocket and fuel doesn't sound like something to sneeze at.

Trantor wrote:See? The spacemarket isn´t that simple.
Hence there's room for a spaceplane kinda thing. :mrgreen:

Trantor wrote:But radial was a dead end, and the Gloster Meteor was a lame duck.
Then I suppose the Me. 262 was as lame? :P

GeoModder wrote:Wouldn´t bet on that one...
I just did. :lol:

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

GeoModder wrote:
Trantor wrote:And those satellites for GEO are usually around 10 - 12 tons recently. There´s no margin for a stage plus support.
3-5 tons of rocket and fuel doesn't sound like something to sneeze at.
That´s not enough. E.g. the re-ignitable upper stage of an Ariane 5 ESC-B for 10t freight to GTO is around 30 tons.
GeoModder wrote:
Trantor wrote:See? The spacemarket isn´t that simple.
Hence there's room for a spaceplane kinda thing. :mrgreen:
If that would be a simple, reasonably priced and technically elegant solution - yes. Skylon? Never.
GeoModder wrote:
Trantor wrote:But radial was a dead end, and the Gloster Meteor was a lame duck.
Then I suppose the Me. 262 was as lame? :P
200Km/h faster, axialturbo, swept wings. Firepower comparable to A-10 Warthog (4x880 = 3520/min vs 3900/min, but no lag in short bursts in the MK108, since not motordriven like the Avenger; both 30mm). ;)
sapere aude.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

My understanding is that both of the early successful jet fighters of the 50's (the F-86 and MiG-15) were based more on lessons learned from the Me262 than from either the Meteor or Airacomet experiments.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:200Km/h faster, axialturbo, swept wings. Firepower comparable to A-10 Warthog (4x880 = 3520/min vs 3900/min, but no lag in short bursts in the MK108, since not motordriven like the Avenger; both 30mm). ;)
Btw, I just read about an unofficial record of the Gloster Meteor at a speed of 1.017 km/u... ;)
After the war of course, but before the design was as old as the Me. 262 when it hit its records.
But undeniably the Me. 262 was no ersatz. :ugeek:

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

GeoModder wrote:Btw, I just read about an unofficial record of the Gloster Meteor at a speed of 1.017 km/u... ;)
That must have been after 1951, when they strapped in the Derwent engine.
BTW, SIX years after the war the brits were STILL unable to build single-chamber axial-turbos. Even the next engine, the Avon, was still fitted with multiple chambers, at least the early versions. Hrhr.
sapere aude.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Btw, I just read about an unofficial record of the Gloster Meteor at a speed of 1.017 km/u... ;)
That must have been after 1951, when they strapped in the Derwent engine.
According to the Wiki, in 1946 by test pilot Roland Beaumont.
Other recorded max. speeds where 975 kmh in 1945, and 991 kmh in 1946.

Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Skylon's upper stage can remain in orbit freeing up the loading bay for your 10-12 tonne satellites, it's effectively a robotic Soyuz, and can be recovered for maintenance and refueling. LH2/LOX has the highest effective exhaust velocity compared to kerosene/LOX or UDMH/NTO engines as far as I can discern, so Skylon doesn't seem at too greater disadvantage being stuck with LH2/LOX, and as such the ability to breath atmospheric O2 is its greatest strength, especially now the pre-cooler heat ex-changers are now working without catastrophic freezing.

I really do believe you'll be proved wrong on this one. I personally see launching everything with rockets as a dead end. So let's see how the first spaceplane fares (Another British first). I have a sneaky feeling Trantor that if skylon was in fact emerging from say Frankfurt, you would be singing it's praises! ;)

Anyway you mentioned cars earlier, guess you should thank those engineers in Milton Keynes for that Red Bull car! ;)

But the British car industry struggled hugely with Unions fighting management. The "British disease", killed the shipyards too. If you were going to install equipment that would allow one man to do 10 others work, the Unions would call strike action (even if it was only about 9% of the union membership). We even had flying strikes, where Unions would picket local industries that weren't striking for "solidarity" but in reality was a form of intimidation for those who where trying their best to make ends meet. My Dad still vehemently remembers with a disdain bordering on hatred of the unions during the "Three-day-week". Where they inflicted such disruption to the Grid, we only had enough coal, oil and gas to power the country for a set time for three days a week. For about 3 months. I'm not anti-union per se. But I am anti British unions (at least in their current form), there run by not overly nice people (IE megalomaniacal thugs). Not to say management couldn't be morons either.. they frequently were.

I dream of owning a Aston Martin DB9 by the way...
GeoModder wrote:If you mean a sort of turbofan, the Brits seem to have invented their own first version as well mid-war, thus before scientific stuff was appropriated from Germany.
And even if not, it's not because the Germans invented something first, it could never have been invented somewhere else later.
You're thinking about the Metropolitan-Vickers F.2 (which was made possible due to the work of Alan Arnold Griffith as he worked out how to make axial compression workable), which was started in 1940 and was tested in 1941, but was found to be too unreliable, so the project was put on hold and became the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire in 1948.
Centrifugal compressor jet engine's continue to see extensive use, virtually all ACUs are centrifugal compressor jet engines, helicopters, and a large number of turboprop engines include at least a centrifugal stage. Centrifugal compressors have the advantage of being simple, lightweight, and reliable, at the expense of a streamlined shape.

Axial compressors are still mechanically less robust and aerodynamically much more sensitive to both intake conditions and downstream pressure changes, IE. rapid throttle movements. These could lead to blade stalling and resulting surges, which can go on to catastrophic blade failure.

Centrifugal-flow designs remain much less complex (the major reason they were first into the air) and therefore have a role in places where size and streamlining are not so important. So they remain a major solution for helicopter engines, and can be built to any needed size without screwing up with the streamlining to any great degree.

---

From what I've read, the ME-262 struggled with maneuverability issues, which was the only way hurricanes and spitfires could compete with it's very high speed.

F/Lt Clive Gosling was a test pilot for supermarine, and he flew both the meteor and the 262, and wrote the RAF official documents comparing the two. He was highly favorable of the me-262 mentioning that the ME-262 was Superior in speed, critical speed, and weapons. He did concede that the Meteor had a better view for the pilot, better turning and maneuverability, operating ceiling, climb rate, and range. But perhaps most importantly he believed the Meteor's engine reliability to be much higher. Quoting on the ME-262 "However it was not an aircraft for the inexperienced - it had to be flown. The engines had a very short life and unless a failure in flight was caught immediately, it would go into a spiral dive from which there was no recovery.". The ME-262 was supposedly afflicted with an engine-life of just 10 to 26 hours, depending on pilots ability. This may have been in part responsible for Hurricane/spitfires successes. The Meteor's engine life was in excess of 200 hours.

This all interestingly is backed up by German fighter ace Adolf Galland, when he was flying with, and instructing the AAF. As such he flew the Meteor, in knowledge that it was a rival to the Me 262, he stated that it was a fine aircraft. And supposedly was of the opinion if he could fit the Meteor engines to the Me 262 airframe he would have had the best fighter in the world.

I don't disagree with the fact that the ME-262's legacy was far more important, but the Gloucester Meteor wasn't a "lame duck", and still has a place in the history of aviation. She even proved to be a very good ground attack fighter in the Korean war even with the newer and more dangerous MIG-15. Destroying over 3,500 structures and some 1,500 vehicles.

She was actually used in studies on G-forces on the Human body, and two remain in use as ejector seat test beds.

Oh and she's gorgeous.
---

Onwards to the defense of concord!

Concorde’s service with at least with BA was highly profitable. Concorde was about 30% more expensive than the 747 at the time they were constructed. What’s more if Concorde wasn’t profitable, and with BA being private for the 16 years of Concorde’s operating life, they would of stopped Concorde much earlier. Private companies can’t afford to pee away cash.

For example the flight to IAD became unprofitable and was quickly axed, so it wasn’t as if Concorde was purely prestige. Though prestigious she certainly was.

In fact BA Concorde’s story only really began once BA had become private. The operating subsidy which funded the incompetence of BA management in the 70’s, was terminated in 83-4, and as result BA owed the tax payer 80% of Concorde’s future profit.

So BA took the hard decision of sticking with Concorde, paying a huge break out fee to free themselves of their obligations to Her Majesties government, buying up all spare stock, the flight simulator, and finally the original test production craft as another spares source.

Thus BA where able to operate Concorde as free as they liked, and keep the profits in the process. The massively profitable BGI service and the charter program were a result of their desire to make Concorde work financially. Not only this but BA moved to have a stored aircraft returned to flight, and began the first of several cabin refits.

Though at the peak of Concorde’s charters, it only made 9% of concords profit, but it was a handy 9%, plus a very good advertisement. Charters also opened up the chance for people to fly Concorde who would never normally been able too.

Concorde however needed good routes, two major financial cities with a large stretch of water in-between. In other words it needed New York. Now despite the rank nimbyism, of the likes of Carol Berman attempting to continue the ban on US airports for Concorde about the potential noise (despite the fact that planes like the Boeing 707 was in fact louder at subsonic speeds), JFK was to be open for business. This was soon to become core of Concorde’s business with a double daily service.

It wasn’t a celeb service either, 80% of this service was regular business pax. Where else could you leave LHR at 10:30am, and arrive at JFK at 9:20am ready for business. In 1997-98, the LHR-JFK/JFK-LHR Concorde made up only 7% of the BA service on that route, but delivered 30% of the route revenue. Similarly for the BGI route, Concorde carried 43% of the route pax during the winter service, and again delivered 75% of the route revenue.

Concorde at this time was making £30 million of profit per annum directly from Concorde pax, with the added fact that Concorde revenues were under greater spotlight, and rigour than other services.

Prior to the accident, Concorde had been arguably the safest operational passenger airliner in the world in terms of passenger deaths-per-kilometres traveled with zero. However the 2000/2001 suspension, the return to flight modifications, and re-launch just after September 11th did not play into Concorde’s hands.

Passenger loads were good in general, but BA was afraid to commit to a double daily service to JFK, no doubt to the fear that the PR would be bad if the plane was not profitable in this new environment, and as such had to scale Concorde back even further to ensure she was not seen to be operating at a loss. The result was an operation profit, but not enough cash in the Concorde bank to pay for upcoming maintenance (Concordes are basically handmade). And with no lavish funding from central government like airlines in the US or Europe after 2001 BA were holding a ticking bomb.

Then AF bailed, meaning BA was left to support the whole maintenance operation by themselves. As such it was quickly becoming unsustainable, and with the decision by Airbus, the successor firm of Aerospatiale and BAC, to discontinue maintenance support. BA threw in the towel to decommission at the end of the 2003.

BA probably regretted not returning OAA & OAB to flight status at the end. Not only did they struggle to get them in museums. But in her final days and weeks, Concorde made £5 million a week with £5000 in onboard sales, due to the huge demand to fly the doomed airframe.

BA took their eye of the ball with regards to Concorde, updating her cockpit after 30 years may of been a smart move. But generally it didn’t show the boldness of the past. Not surprising perhaps that BA struggled as an airline to survive in 2001-02. The whole weakness of the airline market, and it’s slowness to recover was a blow to Concorde.

Had the accident and/or September 11th not occurred, then most of the fleet were ticking onto 24,000 hrs and required major maintenance in the 04-06 bracket would have been a challenge to of found parts for, as the needed experience for the parts had been eroded by retirement, as well as cost. BA where probably looking to take Concorde to 2010, even though AF were looking at retiring the fleet in 2007.

BA probably hoped that AF would of continued with them if they were continuing, so as to share maintenance with each other. But with the market not recovering quickly enough, BA looked at a late 2004 exit so as to catch the last of the winter trips to BGI, which the seats for were already selling, as well as securing the parts for the maintenance of OAD and OAF. But with AF jumping ship, BA were going to have to fight hard but Airbus were having none of it.

And so a Great plane died, 27 years of exemplary service, a technical marvel, and as always a beautiful Aircraft with still no equal.
Trantor wrote:Wouldn´t bet on that one...
Hubris

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Smithy wrote:Hubris
From Trantor????? Surely you jest!

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Smithy wrote:I have a sneaky feeling Trantor that if skylon was in fact emerging from say Frankfurt, you would be singing it's praises! ;)
No, i´m no chauvinist. I´m an engineer, i can analyse things. Remember Cargolifter, that ugly rip-off thingy from Gablenz and his thugs. I got sued for my public opinion. And Ooooh, that was a german company. Go figure...

Smithy wrote:Anyway you mentioned cars earlier, guess you should thank those engineers in Milton Keynes for that Red Bull car! ;)
I couldn´t care less. F1 is stupid.

Smithy wrote:But the British car industry struggled hugely with Unions fighting management. The "British disease", killed the shipyards too.
Yeah, that´s the british "Dolchstosslegende".
It may have contributed, but the main reasons were the constant ingnoring of customers demands (esp international) and the utterly lousy "quality" of british cars.
Or car-lookalikes. :twisted:
Same with the shipyards, the brits were 4 decades behind in tech in the 50ies, and until then only survived by cashing in heavy subsidies, since their ships were crucial for the empire and the war. Which finally bled Britain out.
And while Germany recovered with the "Wirtschaftswunder", the Brits were entrapped in their imperial attitude, and then suffered a bitter awakening. That´s why so many of you still clinge to the glory days.

This is BTW IMHO also relevant to outsider: I can see some parallels between the Loroi and the late Victorian society, both think they´re invincible, and both are on the brink of an upcoming unpleasant surprise.

Smithy wrote:
Centrifugal compressor jet engine's continue to see extensive use, virtually all ACUs are centrifugal compressor jet engines, helicopters, and a large number of turboprop engines include at least a centrifugal stage. Centrifugal compressors have the advantage of being simple, lightweight, and reliable, at the expense of a streamlined shape.
As i told before, in turboprops, yes. But not in the shape of the Whittle-misconstruction, rather in the shape of Heinkels single-chambered HeS3. Another german first, WHOHOOOO!!!

Smithy wrote:Axial compressors are still mechanically less robust
MTBO CFM56 or IAE V2500 ~20.000h.
MTBO PT-6 2500h.
Your call.

Smithy wrote:From what I've read, the ME-262 struggled with maneuverability issues
No such thing.

Smithy wrote:which was the only way hurricanes and spitfires could compete with it's very high speed.
No such thing.
The only ways to shoot down an intact Me262 were by luck or at approach, where the jets didn´t produce enough power and couldn´t spool up quickly enough.
That´s why airstrips had to be protected by piston fighters like the 109 and the 190.

Smithy wrote:The ME-262 was supposedly afflicted with an engine-life of just 10 to 26 hours
Where´s the news? Germany had no access to rare metals, that´s why.

Smithy wrote:he stated that it was a fine aircraft.
Hahaha, you don´t understand german humor, do you? :mrgreen:

Smithy wrote:Oh and she's gorgeous.
You misspelled "ugly" quite a little...

Smithy wrote:Onwards to the defense of concord!
tl,dr. ;)
No, really, the Concorde was a fine plane, i loved the sound when her reheaters fired up at the take-off run, but she WAS a commercial failure.

Smithy wrote:And so a Great plane died, 27 years of exemplary service, a technical marvel, and as always a beautiful Aircraft
I can go with that one.

Smithy wrote:with still no equal.
Well, except the Concordsky, an even bigger commercial failure...

Smithy wrote:
Trantor wrote:Wouldn´t bet on that one...
Hubris
Well, you´re the expert in that, so i bow to you. 8-)
sapere aude.

Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Trantor wrote:No, i´m no chauvinist. I´m an engineer, i can analyse things. Remember Cargolifter, that ugly rip-off thingy from Gablenz and his thugs. I got sued for my public opinion. And Ooooh, that was a german company. Go figure..
Trantor wrote:Well, you´re the expert in that, so i bow to you.
You do realise I was poking fun don't you! Or did my British humour stray past you on that one? ;)

Cargolifter was that giant blimb thingy wasn't it? You Germans do like your airships, I remember it being a little bit silly at the time, even though I was pretty young when I took a mild interest retrospectively (anything heavily dependent on the weather is always a bit suspect really). I've always been interested in technology and stuff which why I'am an "engineer" too. Well if medicine students get to call themselves trainee doctors, I get to call myself a trainee engineer. It will be about 2020 when I should hopefully be fully Chartered.
Trantor wrote:PT-6
Pt-6 has an Axial-Centrifugal compressor, so that's not really a very good example.
Trantor wrote:As i told before, in turboprops, yes. But not in the shape of the Whittle-misconstruction, rather in the shape of Heinkels single-chambered HeS3. Another german first, WHOHOOOO!!!

Heinkels HeS3 didn't have enough thrust to really be all that useful. But even so, car engines are a lot different from Benz's 2 stroke engine from his first patent-motorwagon that doesn't mean Benz engine was a "misconstruction". Merely the first of a series of design iterations.
Trantor wrote:No such thing.
Strange. Considering the Me 262 was designed to destroy bombers, not dog-fight, that and it's pilots were told to avoid low-speed dog-fighting due to poor turning at that speed. Though like all current jet fighters, they soon learnt that they could turn tightly at high speed, but again this was more useful in attacking 1000 strong bombing raids, or fighting other jets.
Oberst Johannes Steinhoff wrote:I passed one that looked as if it was hanging motionless in the air (I am too fast!). The one above me went into a steep right-hand turn, his pale blue underside standing out against the purple sky. Another banked right in front of the Me's nose. Violent jolt as I flew through his airscrew eddies. Maybe a wing's length away. That one in the gentle left-hand curve! Swing her round. I was coming from underneath, eye glued to the sight (pull her tighter!). A throbbing in the wings as my cannon pounded briefly. Missed him. Way behind his tail. It was exasperating. I would never be able to shoot one down like this. They were like a sack of fleas. A prick of doubt: is this really such a good fighter? Could one in fact, successfully attack a group of erratically banking fighters with the Me 262?

Trantor wrote:Where´s the news? Germany had no access to rare metals, that´s why.
Meh.
Trantor wrote:Yeah, that´s the british "Dolchstosslegende".
It may have contributed, but the main reasons were the constant ingnoring of customers demands (esp international) and the utterly lousy "quality" of british cars.
Or car-lookalikes.
Same with the shipyards, the brits were 4 decades behind in tech in the 50ies, and until then only survived by cashing in heavy subsidies, since their ships were crucial for the empire and the war. Which finally bled Britain out.
And while Germany recovered with the "Wirtschaftswunder", the Brits were entrapped in their imperial attitude, and then suffered a bitter awakening. That´s why so many of you still clinge to the glory days.

This is BTW IMHO also relevant to outsider: I can see some parallels between the Loroi and the late Victorian society, both think they´re invincible, and both are on the brink of an upcoming unpleasant surprise.
I wouldn't say it's the equivalent to the German stab in the back myth.. rather more apt would be the shooting yourself in the foot myth.. (Schuss in den Fuß..legende? apologies!). I happily concede it wasn't the whole story but I wouldn't dismiss it as a myth. It was really very real. But you are very right. Many manufactures believed that the consumer should accept their verdict on what a good car was. British manufactures were content to take big hand out's form the state which funded their appalling management strategies and were "stuck" in Victorian thinking. We were noncompetitive. With melancholic management and Unions that were too powerful in their refusal to accept new technology. ASLEF for example insisted that their had to be two drivers on every British rail train for "safety" but in reality they didn't want to remove the fireman post from the old steam days. It was a toxic environment for industry, and it's no surprise it kinda died. They're green shoots, but I find it hard to believe their will ever be a large "British" car company again.

That be said, there are Hondas and Toyotas that have been designed and constructed here in the Uk, and are now marketed in Japan as "British" because apparently they dig that kinda stuff.

Your country and Japan were virtually annihilated, at the cost of driving ourselves into total bankruptcy (hence the loss of Empire). With large American investment and your rebirth attitude your industries were basically rebuilt from scratch, and as such benefited from a much more modern outlook. With cleaner Factories, newer equipment, newer ideas. It's no wonder you were more competitive and enterprising. In a way I envy you. In a way...

---

On Concorde, I will admit that to Aérospatiale-BAC, Concorde was a commercial failure in that they only sold 12. Didn't help how Tu-144 (the pretender) crashed at the Paris air show, which lead to a number of cancellations (Though in fairness they were probably looking to cancel anyway). However as I've tried to make clear for BA, Concorde was a solid cash winner, making between £30 million-£50 million profit per annum for BA's coffers. AF didn't do so well, but that's the story of AF in general. So for British Airways Concorde was a commercial success.

Interestingly the touchdown of the last Concorde in November 2003, was the first time in human history that progress in travel time had been reversed. Up to that moment the speed of transport had steadily increased with every technological step.
Trantor wrote:You misspelled "ugly" quite a little...

tl,dr.
I don't know why I even talk to you............

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Smithy wrote: You do realise I was poking fun don't you! Or did my British humour stray past you on that one? ;)
To be fair understanding british humor takes practice. I remember having to explain two thirds of the jokes in Blackadder to my friend when he first watched it with me :).

Maybe that's just him or maybe i need to get smarter friends :D.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Smithy wrote:Cargolifter was that giant blimb thingy wasn't it?
Semi-rigid.
But i like to refer to it as "scam".

Smithy wrote:You Germans do like your airships
That´s why i hate the Cargolifter and von Gablenz and his thugs. And all the silly twats that helped to fund this POS.

They effectively finished off serious investments in Zeppelins in Germany for all time. B****ds.

Smithy wrote:I remember it being a little bit silly at the time
A fine example of british understatement. ;)
I´d rather say it was utterly stupid in all possible ways. There was no chance that it could ever work. No possibilty of loading/unloading freight in that planned manner. No chance to blend into the current system of aviation/airspace. No chance of ever getting a certified avionics-system, since all certified companies refused to deal with this kindergarten. No chance of reaching their perfomance-goals, not even near (like Skylon btw). Every single aspect about this ugly sausage was doomed.

Smithy wrote:(anything heavily dependent on the weather is always a bit suspect really).
Weather would not be of big concern to a real (new) Zeppelin, since there´s a pretty good forecast today, and shelters aren´t that expensive in comparison to those needed for the CL.

Smithy wrote:I've always been interested in technology and stuff which why I'am an "engineer" too. Well if medicine students get to call themselves trainee doctors, I get to call myself a trainee engineer. It will be about 2020 when I should hopefully be fully Chartered.
And then work for Skylon? 8-)

Smithy wrote:
Trantor wrote:PT-6
Pt-6 has an Axial-Centrifugal compressor, so that's not really a very good example.
Then pick anyone you like. They´re all the same in MTBO.

Smithy wrote:
Trantor wrote:As i told before, in turboprops, yes. But not in the shape of the Whittle-misconstruction, rather in the shape of Heinkels single-chambered HeS3. Another german first, WHOHOOOO!!!

Heinkels HeS3 didn't have enough thrust to really be all that useful.
Well, the He178 with HeS3 was faster than your ugly duck. Go figure. ;)

Smithy wrote:But even so, car engines are a lot different from Benz's 2 stroke engine from his first patent-motorwagon
4-stroke.

Smithy wrote:that doesn't mean Benz engine was a "misconstruction". Merely the first of a series of design iterations.
Well, at least they´re still around. Unlike the british industry. :twisted:
Oh, and while i hand out puns, here´s one for our american friends, too (it´s Xmess after all, there´s one in for everybody):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yZK5xLhxxY

:mrgreen:

Smithy wrote:
Trantor wrote:No such thing.
Strange. Considering the Me 262 was designed to destroy bombers, not dog-fight, that and it's pilots were told to avoid low-speed dog-fighting due to poor turning at that speed.
This is no unique feature to the Me. Every heavy plane with high wingload does have this backdraw.

Smithy wrote:Your country and Japan were virtually annihilated, at the cost of driving ourselves into total bankruptcy (hence the loss of Empire). With large American investment and your rebirth attitude your industries were basically rebuilt from scratch, and as such benefited from a much more modern outlook. With cleaner Factories, newer equipment, newer ideas. It's no wonder you were more competitive and enterprising. In a way I envy you. In a way...
Japan was pretty much intact (except the air-raided cities), but Germany was gone. Furthermore all patents were stolen, and all our engineers "drafted".
Yes, the only way out was developing new ideas and products. Result was e.g. the VW Beetle, one of the best-selling cars of all time, FM-radio, since the allied blocked all frequencies (haha, talk about shooting yourself in the foot), and generally huge investments in fair education, so soon there was an army of engineers and technicians.
Of course communism, or Stalinism, to be more accurate, helped a lot, since we were the frontier-country so there was no chance for Morgenthau and his thugs.

Yes, and in retrospective sometimes the competition between the systems is badly missed, mainly because since the downfall of the Soviet-Union those neocon-rats turned this planet into a casino, where everyone except the upper 10k loses.

Smithy wrote:
Trantor wrote:You misspelled "ugly" quite a little...

tl,dr.
I don't know why I even talk to you............
Hahaha, you don´t really understand other sorts of humor than british, do you?
(Except for the "ugly"-think, that´s where i´m serious.)
;)
sapere aude.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Trantor wrote:Well, at least they´re still around. Unlike the british industry. :twisted:
Oh, and while i hand out puns, here´s one for our american friends, too (it´s Xmess after all, there´s one in for everybody):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yZK5xLhxxY

:mrgreen:
Marvelous! :lol:
(but that only counts for really practical internal combustion engines)

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Trantor wrote:those neocon-rats turned this planet into a casino, where everyone except the upper 10k loses.
Heads, I win. Tails, you lose.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Nope. Heads, I win. Tails, I win too. :P

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Trantor wrote:(bunch of one liners)
All right, for a moment I though you actually could provide an intelligent answer. You got me :oops:
No, equatorial bases are only good for GTO, or equatorial LEO.
Please go return your degree.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Trantor wrote:This is BTW IMHO also relevant to outsider: I can see some parallels between the Loroi and the late Victorian society, both think they´re invincible, and both are on the brink of an upcoming unpleasant surprise.
You got your tenses wrong. Both already had their nasty surprises, the question is if they'll remain in a downward slide or manage to claw their way back up.
Trantor wrote:
Smithy wrote:Oh and she's gorgeous.
You misspelled "ugly" quite a little...
Hey, it didn't spend all of it's time with it's nose down! (yes, I read the rest of the post)
Trantor wrote:
Smithy wrote:Onwards to the defense of concord!
tl,dr. ;)
No, really, the Concorde was a fine plane, i loved the sound when her reheaters fired up at the take-off run, but she WAS a commercial failure.
In a way, this is the fault of my home state. Back when they did the supersonic tests here, glass windows would shatter and drywall would crack. Suffice to say, there were complaints.
Trantor wrote:
Smithy wrote:with still no equal.
Well, except the Concordsky, an even bigger commercial failure...
How DID the Russians ever fit that many vacuum tubes in there :lol: ?
Smithy wrote:
Trantor wrote:Yeah, that´s the british "Dolchstosslegende".
Or car-lookalikes.
[snip]

It was a toxic environment for industry, and it's no surprise it kinda died. They're green shoots, but I find it hard to believe their will ever be a large "British" car company again.

That be said, there are Hondas and Toyotas that have been designed and constructed here in the Uk, and are now marketed in Japan as "British" because apparently they dig that kinda stuff.
~2002 I found it hard to believe that Detroit would survive the next two decades, but Ford didn't even need a bailout. As long as you hold down "flush" hard enough, industries can often (I won't say always) recover.
Smithy wrote:Your country and Japan were virtually annihilated, at the cost of driving ourselves into total bankruptcy (hence the loss of Empire). With large American investment
WW2: because the Europeans got their way the first time (note: feel free to blame the French, us Americans always consider them fair game... "Victory Gardens" required a full-blown war, "Freedom Fries" didn't).
Trantor wrote:
Smithy wrote:You Germans do like your airships
That´s why i hate the Cargolifter and von Gablenz and his thugs. And all the silly twats that helped to fund this POS.

They effectively finished off serious investments in Zeppelins in Germany for all time. B****ds.
I'm sure that in 50 years it'll be revisited.

Unless you have an idea that's dubious enough to swing DARPA funding stuffed in your back pocket, of course. I myself have occasionally wondered if an airship could be used as a launch vehicle, though my general assumption is admittedly "no".
Trantor wrote:
Smithy wrote:(anything heavily dependent on the weather is always a bit suspect really).
Weather would not be of big concern to a real (new) Zeppelin, since there´s a pretty good forecast today, and shelters aren´t that expensive in comparison to those needed for the CL.
Oh? I though the reason was "because noone uses rocket fuel to weatherproof aircraft anymore"?
Trantor wrote:Well, the He178 with HeS3 was faster than your ugly duck. Go figure. ;)
Ugly ducklings traditionally turn out to be swans, try again ;) .
Trantor wrote:Yes, the only way out was developing new ideas and products. Result was e.g. the VW Beetle, one of the best-selling cars of all time, FM-radio, since the allied blocked all frequencies (haha, talk about shooting yourself in the foot),
Having heard AM radio here in America, we seriously didn't shoot ourselves in the foot.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Victor_D wrote:All right, for a moment I though you actually could provide an intelligent answer. You got me :oops:

Please go return your degree.
<Stillstorm>
"It´s ad hominem is disappointing."
</Stillstorm>
sapere aude.