RP

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

VonWolffe

Re: RP

Post by VonWolffe »

That wasn't all of Alternity sunphoenix. xD That's about a third of it. It was taking so long to upload when you were waiting for it that I started cutting off the less relevant files.

I would stand by Alternity as being the most effective to use for an Outsider themed game as it is already sci-fi and has quick and painless rules for combat, space battles, and fleet battles if necessary. It even has a neat mechanic concerning damage to the ship effecting the crew and the ship's systems. I am not going to raise hell about the system though, as I am quite biased and also not the one running the game. I am certain the game will play as smoothly as possible under any one of your suggestions, otherwise you wouldn't be making them I am sure.

I do have a concern that I would like to raise about the setting Seuderwind;

Given the situation that you have presented with the lone Umiak and Loroi scout vessels facing off only a few jumps from Esperanza and with Human warships picking up the Loroi survivors, this scenario puts Esperanza at least in a very awkward position. Neither the Loroi nor Umiak are in a position where they can only afford to send lone scouts off on their own, and they would certainly not be left to their own devices. Ships would soon be on their way to determine what happened to the lost scouts, which would lead to a conflict between the Loroi and Umiak within dangerous proximity of Human worlds. Not only that but the Loroi would be able to Farsense their lost crew and come get them before long.

That's all well and good for a plot, my concern is that this essentially eliminates any possibility of ship to ship or ground based combat (by the players at least) as any Umiak ships that appear will simply blow the technologically dwarfed Human vessels away. And even if the purpose of the game were to be centered on the plot, it would consist of the Humans collecting the Loroi, and then the Loroi demanding to be returned to their people at X coordinates. The Loroi would only have to give the Humans the location of one of the Strike Fleet operating bases before they would be Farsensed and picked up. I am not sold on the premise of the game is what I am saying. :(

Also, just to make sure that everyone is thoroughly mad at me, personal laser weaponry should be within reach for Human marines. Slug throwers are useful for ground based combat, the real problem with using them in a zero gravity situation is that the projectile doesnt stop. This is a hazard for the firer and everyone around him. On top of that, Human warships are already equipped with heavy laser weaponry. If we can unleash shipkilling laser barrages from our Navy, why would we be unable to miniaturize effective laser rifles?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sorry got busy writing last night still working on Sonnidezi..

Something to note there are other systems that could work, GURPS notably as Fireblade and Beryl are already in that game system. Not trying to muddy the waters I still think BESM would be easier... but GURPS does handle the psionics very well for this genre. But again... multiple books.. none of which I have pdf's for. though I do have lots of physical copies of the system.

I leave plotting up to the GM.. I'm not really all that concerned of the premise.. just about anything reasonable can be justified in my opinion. I'm fine with the plot as structured.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi there!
Sorry, I had to take a break from writing the plot/a better information post and reading that BESM rulebook, because of some family affairs. I will resume the work on those things as soon as possible (=this afternoon I think), I hope thats ok. Writing long texts on a small touchscreen is not that great.

@VonWolffe:
Neither the Loroi nor Umiak are in a position where they can only afford to send lone scouts off on their own, and they would certainly not be left to their own devices.
I see no point in sending an enteir (strike or battle) fleet scouting and I think those scout vessels would be designed for such a task.
Ships would soon be on their way to determine what happened to the lost scouts, which would lead to a conflict between the Loroi and Umiak within dangerous proximity of Human worlds.
Well, thats one of the possible things that might happen in that game. ;)

Sorry, I will stop using quotes while I am using my phone for posting. Thats a real pain...

Combat: There will be combatsituations in the game, so dont worry. It might be tricky, but possible.

Loroi Taxi Service/farsensing: The Loroi are on a mission to contact humanity, officially establish diplomatic relations and find out more about those strange creatures. They are not in a situation to demand anything like that on board the Cydonia, as the human goal is to bring those Loroi ambassadors home. If I remember correctly the farsensers "resolution" goes down the further away a target is. The human occupied space is still some distance away from both loroi and umiak space and I am not sure If they could detect the loss of a small scout, if some of the crew survives.

Laser smallarms: Yes, humanity is able to build big lasersweapons for spaceships and I think they will use them in tanks, ships, fighter planes, etc... too. After thinking about that for a while, I no longer think that humanes are using lasers as smallarms yet. Such weapons are huge and bulky and have to be miniaturized to be used as a personal weapon. They maybe have some form of laser weapon that is as heavy and bulky as an early machinegun (like a Maxim gun, MG 08, ...), that could be used for boarding partys or so. I think they will still use some form of highly evolved projectile weapon as sidearm. Pistols with caseless amouniton, special bullets (including non lethal ones), SMGs or assult rifles for security personnel (I can only think of german warships here as an example, such weapons are on board there for that reason, too), build in laser sights and silencer, etc...
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

I figured you had something up your sleeve concerning the plot. After reading up on the Insider even the toughest and biggest Terran vessels would get totally creamed by Umiak ships, and they would dance around us while they did it.

What I was saying about neither the Umiak or Loroi being in a position where they could only send ships alone; The Bellarmine and the other primitive Terran scouts, even with our limited Navy/Scout Corps were not sent on their own. Alex mentions that their refuelling vessel is only a couple of jumps behind. This vessel would have been expecting a rendezvous with their scout ship, and when it did not turn up they could assume that something went wrong. The Umiak and Loroi have many thousands of ships more than we do and much more experience as a spacefaring race, so why would their scouts not have support ships waiting for them a jump or two behind. In the case of Farseeing, the only reason that the Loroi have been able to hold off the Umiak so long is because they can sense them coming from many jumps away as Tempo explained, meaning that they would have sensed the Umiak scout before going to the jump point and whatever support ships they (Farsensing being a crucial ability for scouting ships especially so close to the frontline) have would have sensed the loss of their scout vessel, or at least the dozens of lost lives as the ship was destroyed.

While it sounds like you want this conflict in Human space, bear in mind that the Loroi simply do not have the ships to hold off the Umiak from our territory. Once they investigate the loss of the scout and find out what is waiting for them, the Human worlds, we could not be more screwed. Bbear in mind that the fleet shown in the comic is one of the most experienced strike fleets the Loroi have with one of the best commanders. One charge of the Umiak was enough to sink two of their best ships; Winter Tide and Thunderbolt. Given that this was just a skirmish, can we really expect the Loroi to commit a full battlegroup to expand their frontline to encompass our worlds, especially when they have yet to make contact with us? The only way for that to even happen in time is for a Loroi fleet to already be moving into position right behind their doomed scout.

I'll admit that there are certainly a lot of opportunities for conflict in this scenario, as the human worlds are about to be on the frontlines of a total war. It was going to happen anyway sooner or later, but the whole reason that the Scout Corps was meant to make contact with either side was to keep this from happening.

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

As per the Loroi Fleet breakdown, they would have Hidden Dagger class scouts with a crew compliment of 45. This scout would be supported by a Trade Wind class tanker at the very least in order to enable it to operate outside of the range of Loroi resupply bases. It's crew compliment would be 50. One Tanker would be enough to supply dozens of scouts on its own, as the Trade Wind class vessels are primarily for Fleet Support. This implies that not only is your scout not alone, but there are several ships operating nearby who are close enough to far sense and investigate the loss of the doomed scout.

Interestingly, the Umiak do not appear to have scout class vessels listed in Insider. I am certain they must have them, but only warships are listed... This is an even more disturbing discovery if this is by Arioch's design. To quote Luke "Why would there be one ship alone all the way out here?" My fear is that we will soon be saying "That's no moon..."

Could be the Umiak are finally making their move and trying to flank the Loroi frontline, right through our territory.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote: Something to note there are other systems that could work, GURPS notably as Fireblade and Beryl are already in that game system. Not trying to muddy the waters I still think BESM would be easier... but GURPS does handle the psionics very well for this genre. But again... multiple books.. none of which I have pdf's for. though I do have lots of physical copies of the system.
GURPS Lite is available as a free PDF (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/), though it doesn't include the psionics rules. But then again, Fourth Edition changes a lot (I think they switched around some of the attributes), so even my existing stuff probably doesn't work anymore in the new system. Here's an older version (which I'm guessing is Third Edition): http://www.well-of-souls.com/temp/gurpslite.pdf

As was mentioned, it's unlikely that you'll be doing any dice-rolling, so the mechanics of the system you use don't really matter; all that's probably important is that you are able to define what your characters skills and abilities are, and that's something GURPS is pretty good at.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote:
sunphoenix wrote: Something to note there are other systems that could work, GURPS notably as Fireblade and Beryl are already in that game system. Not trying to muddy the waters I still think BESM would be easier... but GURPS does handle the psionics very well for this genre. But again... multiple books.. none of which I have pdf's for. though I do have lots of physical copies of the system.
GURPS Lite is available as a free PDF (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/), though it doesn't include the psionics rules. But then again, Fourth Edition changes a lot (I think they switched around some of the attributes), so even my existing stuff probably doesn't work anymore in the new system. Here's an older version (which I'm guessing is Third Edition): http://www.well-of-souls.com/temp/gurpslite.pdf

As was mentioned, it's unlikely that you'll be doing any dice-rolling, so the mechanics of the system you use don't really matter; all that's probably important is that you are able to define what your characters skills and abilities are, and that's something GURPS is pretty good at.
Wow! Arioch speaks! I'm.. honored! :)

But we could indeed roll dice for this game. I play several Play-by-Post games and we generally use this site...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2317614/

It keeps track and works quite nicely. All it takes is cutting a pasting the results and or links provided to record and verify your rolls.
Not to say we HAVE to use it but it is available.

As for 4th Edition GURPS... I'm not sure bout that... I have only up to 3rd Edition.

Oh an Thanks a lot for the download links Arioch!

"Blood and Souls for my lord ARIOCH!" :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Thanks for those links Arioch! I only had those in german and nerver looked much into them, until now. Very sad that they did not include the psionic rules, but for a free version they are pretty good and detailed. I didn´t expect that.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

@VonWolffe:
The Loroi "Scout" in the Game should be a Blaze "Totor" class frigate, as it is bigger than the Hidden Dagger "Saboide" class scout and has two shuttles. There is no information on the cruising range of loroi ships, so I can only assume that they have the necessary range to do the trip. Besides the mission of the "Argent Fire" is a diplomatic and not primarily a scouting one.
Interestingly, the Umiak do not appear to have scout class vessels listed in Insider. I am certain they must have them, but only warships are listed... This is an even more disturbing discovery if this is by Arioch's design. To quote Luke "Why would there be one ship alone all the way out here?" My fear is that we will soon be saying "That's no moon..."
Well, the Insider states: "Umiak do not have ship "classes" in the conventional sense, as nearly every Umiak vessel is unique in some way, and so warships are mainly classified by size. Regional shipyards produce vessels in local styles influenced by the needs and available resources of the moment, and individual ships are extensively customized over their operational lives by their crews."
For the Umiak "Scout" I thought it would fit somehow in the Light Destroyer class. Maybe with some more range and one or two SR Medium Plasma Focuses missing to free some extra room.
Could be the Umiak are finally making their move and trying to flank the Loroi frontline, right through our territory.
Or the other way round? We will see... :)
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Introduction post for all that want to participate (I will post it again in a new thread, as soon as it is finished. I hope thats ok.) in the Game and provide them with the necessary background informations for creating their characters. I hope this helps everyone who is interested and answers some questions.
The ruleset would be Big eyes small mouth 3rd edition, as it is available in a pdf version. Every character has 320 character points from start (slightly above heroic lvl). If you want to participate in the game, please send me your character, his background and his motto/motivation, so I can look into it and address possible problems.
You can play either a human or a loroi character, but if there are not enough players, I will limit it to one race only.
--------------------------------

Cydonia Rising (CR)

Date: 21 October 2161 (one year and three months after the Naam incident)
Place: Hellespont System, 3 Jumps away from Experanza aka Checkpoint Beta (the system consists of a red dwarf with two small mercury type inner planets, a pale purple Uranus size gas giant and a nearly non existant kupier belt. There are some sensor probes placed around the system to monitor possible jump zones)

The Humans:

Three months after the events in the Naam System, humanitys mission to search contact seems to have failed. Only the tanker Prabhu and the lonely scout vessel Utsumi returned home, with no sign of the other scouts, the Loroi or the Umiak. While mankinds government debated about what to do next, the colonial fleet prepared a series of three "checkpoints" in systems that anyone would have to cross to get to Esperanza. These checkpoints (Alpha, Beta and Gamma) consists of an array of sensor probes and a patrol vessel. Ready to alarm humanity, slow down the enemy or make contact with whatever might come that way, the ECS-096 Cydonia waits in the Hellespont System for relief, after almost 3 months of eventless service there. Orbiting the purple gas giant in that system, Cydonias Captain hopes that the planets strong magnetic field will trick any enemy long enough for them to reach the nearby jump zone back home.

The Human Ship:
ECS-096 Cydonia
SpoilerShow
England
Class: Destroyer (DD)
Length: 200 m
Crew: 120
Security Units: 10
Screens: none
Max. Acceleration: 6 G
Armor Rating: 40
Weapon Mounts
01x2 Medium Laser
04x1 Medium Mass Driver
04x2 Point-Defense Laser
04 Missile Tubes
02 Anti-Missile Launchers
As an older vessel, the Cydonia is no longer the most modern ship of the fleet. But it is fast and has an experienced crew.

The Crew:
-Captain (NPC): Jeremiah Blake, age: 65, nationality: British
He is on his last command before retirement and is known to be a skilled and cautious commander. Maybe a little short (1,68m "tall"), has short gray hair and is known to be old-fashioned (he still prefers glasses instead of a small surgery :roll: ). Fancied by his crew, but not liked by this superiors for his sometimes strange ideas and habits (Its an England Class Destroyer! I insist on a tea-time!; and so on), therefore he was never promoted beyond the rank of Captain, ...

-Weapons Officer (NPC): Yannick Metzger, age: 22, nationality: German
He was the best gunner of his year on the academy and is on his first mission. He is known for his loose tongue and to have a short temper. He likes 20th century music, is a descent guitar player, ...

Possible Jobs(always open for suggestions):
-First Officer: second-in-command, keeps the Cydonia (and its crew) running, helps the Captain, etc...
-Science Officer: responsible for the scanners, examination of alien artifacts/transmissions/etc..., can speak a little trade, ...
-Medical Officer: keeps the crew and their guests healthy as the name suggests
-Communications Officer: fluent trade speaker, handles Cydonias communications, translates, etc...
-Head of Security: responsible for security on board the Cydonia, leads bording partys and away teams, ...
-Chief Engineer: keeps the Cydonia going, repairs broken stuff, etc...
-Helmsmen: steers the ship, calculates the course, pilots shuttles, etc...

The Loroi
On their way to finally establish diplomatic contact with "humaniti" and learn more about those strangely familiar looking pink aliens, the "Totor" -class frigate "Argent Fire" takes a course based on the informations that have been obtained from the lone alien survivor of the Naam incident. The small ship and its a bit unusual crew (too many high ranking diplomats and scientists for such a small vessel) stumbled over a lonely Umiak light destroyer, obviously searching in the same direction. Although outgunned, they have been able to destroy the enemy, but the "Argent Fire" suffered heavy damage and only few crewmembers could escape the following destruction of the frigate, as its reactor-control failed. Stuck on a small and damaged shuttle, their only hope is that alien ship with its unknown markings, that slowly approaches them...

The Crew:
(The regular crew of the Argent Fire is young and inexpirienced, the Mizol and Listel cast member are higher ranking than usual, the ship was selected because it has the necessary range and a more impressive ship or a fleet was labelled as scary by that alien diplomat)
-Soroin Mallas (NPC): spoken name: bein rezei "copper spear", age: 20, raised on Deinar,
She has red hair, that is formed to a pigtail. She is the "Captain" of the ship (her first command) and is eager to fight, she therefore is not happy abot this mission, but knows when to follow orders from superiors. She is known to have a harsh voice and is short tempered, which leads to ongoing disagreements with the Mizol about the chain of command on board the "Argent Fire". She barely escaped the destruction of her ship and was badly injured.

Possible Jobs(always open for suggestions):
-Mizol: leads the diplomatic mission, ...
-Listel: "science officer", ...
-Teidar: responsible for the security of the diplomatic mission, ...
-Tenoin: helmsman and current shuttlepilot, ...
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Contemplating playing a Terraphile flunkie Loroi, ie a Nelodez 2.0 ;)
Don't delay, join today!

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

Hey, just popping in to ask, if there would be room for a Human security trooper, not actually an officer, but a regular marine type crewman in this game.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

CJ Miller wrote:Contemplating playing a Terraphile flunkie Loroi, ie a Nelodez 2.0 ;)
:lol: You are welcome.
Dragoon wrote:Hey, just popping in to ask, if there would be room for a Human security trooper, not actually an officer, but a regular marine type crewman in this game.
I think yes. Because there is need of muscle, when $*** hits the fan.
Supporter of forum RPG

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

excellent..... I can see some fun here... I imagine knowing human men are bigger, and combatants and actually coming face to face with a male combat marine should be an interesting situation :D

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

I just wanted to say to Seuderwind that I appreciate him answering all my questions to my satisfaction, I appreciate that he has put a lot of thought into this scenario which will benefit the game immensely. I see now that the given scenario is perhaps the natural result from Alexander's contact with the Loroi in the comic, short of the appearance of the Umiak. I suppose if the Loroi wanted to mount a surprise attack on the Umiak flank the Human worlds would make an excellent staging point. You really turned me around on this one, good work. :)

I see that Humanity have no spaceworthy fighters on the boards, which is a shame as I have a massive crush on Talon and would welcome the opportunity to fight alongside the Loroi fighter pilots. I would like to take the role of helmsman in any case, I'll see if I can make this destroyer dance.

And thanks again to sunphoenix for supplying the BESM rules. Seems this RP has Arioch's blessing. :D

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

@CJ Miller:
Contemplating playing a Terraphile flunkie Loroi, ie a Nelodez 2.0
That sounds interessting. Tell me more... ;)

@Dragoon:
Hey, just popping in to ask, if there would be room for a Human security trooper, not actually an officer, but a regular marine type crewman in this game.
But of course! Just send me send me your character, his background and his motto/motivation. I might choose to make the Head of Security on Cydonia a NPC. I hope thats ok?

@VonWolffe:
I just wanted to say to Seuderwind that I appreciate him answering all my questions to my satisfaction, I appreciate that he has put a lot of thought into this scenario which will benefit the game immensely. I see now that the given scenario is perhaps the natural result from Alexander's contact with the Loroi in the comic, short of the appearance of the Umiak. I suppose if the Loroi wanted to mount a surprise attack on the Umiak flank the Human worlds would make an excellent staging point. You really turned me around on this one, good work.
Thanks! Good to have you on board! :D
The scenario is indeed a conclusion of some of the thoughts I had on what might happens after Alex´s mission.
I see that Humanity have no spaceworthy fighters on the boards, which is a shame as I have a massive crush on Talon and would welcome the opportunity to fight alongside the Loroi fighter pilots.
As someone who has played the Wing Commander series and watched Space: above and beyond as a kid, I can feel your pain. But I really want to keep this Game very close to the comic.
Seems this RP has Arioch's blessing.
I try not to mess up things, then. ;)
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

VonWolffe wrote:I just wanted to say to Seuderwind that I appreciate him answering all my questions to my satisfaction, I appreciate that he has put a lot of thought into this scenario which will benefit the game immensely. I see now that the given scenario is perhaps the natural result from Alexander's contact with the Loroi in the comic, short of the appearance of the Umiak. I suppose if the Loroi wanted to mount a surprise attack on the Umiak flank the Human worlds would make an excellent staging point. You really turned me around on this one, good work. :)

I see that Humanity have no spaceworthy fighters on the boards, which is a shame as I have a massive crush on Talon and would welcome the opportunity to fight alongside the Loroi fighter pilots. I would like to take the role of helmsman in any case, I'll see if I can make this destroyer dance.

And thanks again to sunphoenix for supplying the BESM rules. Seems this RP has Arioch's blessing. :D
So two helmsmen? :) Kamielle was designed for that position And I agree.. I wanted to play a fighter pilot as well...
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Don't worry about it sunphoenix, I wouldn't want to step on any toes so I will pick a different slot. I was on the fence between helmsman and 2IC anyway. Provided the position is available that is.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Now don't sweat it.. I'm almost ready to post my Loroi Teidar Sonnidezi 'Stormrage'... I'm planning on leaving it up to the players and the Storyguide [Suederwind] to decide which I play.. I'm good with either one.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I'm good with either one.
Good to know. :) At the moment we are a little low on Loroi characters, I think.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]