Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by sunphoenix »

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "What we find hard to understand is how You humans get anything done! Your society is in a state of constant turmoil!"

Human Industrialist - "What do you mean we have mostly stable governments oh there is the occasional conflict over resources and political maneuvering... border skirmishes and all policing actions but you loroi have had such in you past as wel!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "But your leaders change yearly and there is so much political upheaval and debate all the time.. there is little political consensus!"

Human Industrialist - "Well life is change.. new ideas, new politics, new technologies.. what was new yesterday is obsolete in 6 months. We are a dynamic society."

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "That's chaos! How can you obsolete technology so fast!"

Human Industrialist - "Well new advances and continuing improvements in technology and society define how we approach the future difficulties."

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "But how do you improve on what works already... and why waste the effort?"

Human Industrialist - "Well better miniaturization, faster processes, cheaper manufacturing, more functionality, new applications of already utilized technologies... all for faster and easier ways to manufacture and supply better products to stay ahead of the competition for a better profit margin!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "What is this competition and profit margin you speak of? Do not all your Government Industries produce what your Society needs on request?"

Human Industrialist - "Government? Haha... no they don't own the industries.. the private citizen corporations do!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - {Gasp} "You mean civilians own ALL your races' industries?"

Human Industrialist - "Well of course!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "Madness!"
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Username

Post by Username »

SpoilerShow
sunphoenix wrote:Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "What we find hard to understand is how You humans get anything done! Your society is in a state of constant turmoil!"

Human Industrialist - "What do you mean we have mostly stable governments oh there is the occasional conflict over resources and political maneuvering... border skirmishes and all policing actions but you loroi have had such in you past as wel!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "But your leaders change yearly and there is so much political upheaval and debate all the time.. there is little political consensus!"

Human Industrialist - "Well life is change.. new ideas, new politics, new technologies.. what was new yesterday is obsolete in 6 months. We are a dynamic society."

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "That's chaos! How can you obsolete technology so fast!"

Human Industrialist - "Well new advances and continuing improvements in technology and society define how we approach the future difficulties."

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "But how do you improve on what works already... and why waste the effort?"

Human Industrialist - "Well better miniaturization, faster processes, cheaper manufacturing, more functionality, new applications of already utilized technologies... all for faster and easier ways to manufacture and supply better products to stay ahead of the competition for a better profit margin!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "What is this competition and profit margin you speak of? Do not all your Government Industries produce what your Society needs on request?"

Human Industrialist - "Government? Haha... no they don't own the industries.. the private citizen corporations do!"

Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - {Gasp} "You mean civilians own ALL your races' industries?"

HA HA Good Example of how different the two cultures are. Is this just a fragment you whipped up for this thread or is there more?

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

sunphoenix wrote:Loroi {Doranzer Caste} - "What we find hard to understand is how You humans get anything done! Your society is in a state of constant turmoil!"

Human Industrialist - "This is TERRA!"

Very well done. I can actually see that happening and the Loroi industrial castes and government becoming rather alarmed at the pace of human innovation. I think Arioch said human tech development had plateaued in regards to innovation and advancement, but with the tech the Orgus were able to give humanity and the news of a major interstellar war coming our way, it's very likely that innovative drive has been greatly stimulated. Given the need to improve our tech, I think there would be a lot of improvements coming down the pipeline. Improvements that might surprise the Loroi simply because we don't think in the same way they do.

Edit: sorry, I couldn't resist adding the last part. >_>

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Just a few random questions:

In the insider, there is a description for telepathic jamming. How far can such an "antipsi" field reach and how stressful would it be for the Loroi creating and/or maintaining it?

Will we ever see a Loroi tasting human food?

Is there a Loroi equivalent to coffee? (I hope its not dried and ground tree climbing squid.)

Might sound a bit stupid, but those personal psi amps are not fixed to the head and can be removed?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:In the insider, there is a description for telepathic jamming. How far can such an "antipsi" field reach and how stressful would it be for the Loroi creating and/or maintaining it?
Antipsi has the same range as telepathy, based on power. It requires concentration and so can't be maintained indefinitely. It doesn't completely negate psi use, but rather makes it harder to use successfully (it become a contest of power between the psi user and the jammer).
Suederwind wrote:Will we ever see a Loroi tasting human food?
I think it's unlikely.
Suederwind wrote:Is there a Loroi equivalent to coffee? (I hope its not dried and ground tree climbing squid.)
Yes, the Loroi drink a mushroom tea called "noillir" that has stimulant qualities. Alex will be sampling some in the near future.
Suederwind wrote:Might sound a bit stupid, but those personal psi amps are not fixed to the head and can be removed?
Yes, they can be removed.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

If done intentionally, how trivial is it to jump a vehicle directly into the heart of a star?

I guarantee you a human is thinking about a star destroying doomsday weapon when they happen upon this tidbit.

It's simplistic, but does putting iron directly in the core of a star cause it's death? Or will it just have a nasty lump in it, until the process and it's mass lead to it naturally?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Voitan wrote:If done intentionally, how trivial is it to jump a vehicle directly into the heart of a star?

I guarantee you a human is thinking about a star destroying doomsday weapon when they happen upon this tidbit.

It's simplistic, but does putting iron directly in the core of a star cause it's death? Or will it just have a nasty lump in it, until the process and it's mass lead to it naturally?

"Star Trigger" huh? Well I'm not sure of the physics of what a 'lump' of Iron precipitating from jump-space into the heart of a star would be.. but I'd think it would be more of a matter of scope than anything. Consider how small our entire planet is compared to our sun and our sun is relatively small... cosmically-speaking.

I'd think you'd need to jump so much iron to the center of the star as its WAAAAAY beyond practicality to have any significant effect! Like tossing a firecraker into a blast furnace. Insignificant.. unless say your dropping an earth-size mass of solid iron into a star.

...Unless I'm missing something about the stability of the theorized solid "neutronium" core of stars.

The only thing I might figure would have ANY effect upon a star would sending a device to the star's core that would then trigger a jump to jumpspace. But I can't think of any device made of matter that could survive such pressure or heat {not to mention radiation} and likely the gravity would be Waaay too great to even have a chance to execute a jump.

But if it could even partially jump removing even a small amount of core material may have a significant effect upon the corona of the star as its mass suddenly could not long hold its size. That might create a kinda nova... like a solar storm of terrible power might be created as portions of the star's now too dense corona might be suddenly released to rage across the star-system.

This is all theory on my part.. so I'll leave the 'real' scientists to debate this.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The mass of iron required to have any effect would would have to be something on the scale of a planet. Assembling artificial planets and then jumping them through hyperspace is not a practical thing at this tech level.

Moreover, it takes millions of years for the photons generated by fusion in our Sun's core to bubble to the surface. If fusion stopped in the core tomorrow, we probably wouldn't notice for a very long time. Eventually as the photon pressure decreased over milliennia, the Sun would start to shrink and then implode, but it would probably take many thousands of years.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

There are already roughly 666 Earths worth of Iron in the sun. Most young stars have a significantly higher metallicity than Sol, with little ill effect. It is the radiation pressure of the star's fusion reaction that counteracts the pressure of gravitational collapse. If you added a solid mass to the star's core, it would continue to fuse hydrogen around the core, so unless the core was above the Chandrasekhar limit, there would likely be little effect.

Stars don't have neutronium cores. It is only after the demise of some particularly large stars that their cores degenerate into a neutron star. (Stars that are between 1.44 and 10 to 25 times the mass of our Sun.)

Removing mass from a star's core would politely extend the lifespan of the star, as it would slow the consumption of the overall fuel supply. Small stars burn much slower and longer than large stars.

You would basically have to jump the star out of the system, and jump a neutron star in its place.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Do Loroi males go bald when they get old?

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

How would the Loroi view a virgin male of their population?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:Do Loroi males go bald when they get old?
Loroi don't show much in the way of outward signs of aging until shortly before they die, at which point all sorts of things can start to go wrong, including hair loss (in either gender). But no, adult Loroi males do not normally exhibit pattern balding as human males do.
Grayhome wrote:How would the Loroi view a virgin male of their population?
A Loroi male who hadn't tried to have sex with something by the time he reached adulthood would be extremely rare. I suspect he would be treated as if he had a medical condition.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Arioch wrote:
fredgiblet wrote:Do Loroi males go bald when they get old?
Loroi don't show much in the way of outward signs of aging until shortly before they die, at which point all sorts of things can start to go wrong, including hair loss (in either gender). But no, adult Loroi males do not normally exhibit pattern balding as human males do.
Grayhome wrote:How would the Loroi view a virgin male of their population?
A Loroi male who hadn't tried to have sex with something by the time he reached adulthood would be extremely rare. I suspect he would be treated as if he had a medical condition.
something as opposed to someone.... :shock:

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

As horny as male loroi are said to be, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of them have fucked the equivalent to a sheep at some point... :P
Don't delay, join today!

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

They were just helping it over the fence! Honest!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Inb4 SHEEP-shagger becomes a common insult leveled against Maiïd loroi :mrgreen:
Don't delay, join today!

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

So the precursors patterned the Loroi after the Scottish. Who would have guessed?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I had thought Welsh... ;)
Don't delay, join today!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Are you sure you don't want to insult and stereotype an entire religious group too? :|

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I suppose we can if you really want us to...