Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

jterlecki wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:55 am
What is the furthest the Loroi have ever reported going to/explored from their primary homeworld? This undoubtedly would have been pre-war.
The old border with the Hierarchy was 400 light years or so from Deinar. Scouts have gone a similar distance in the opposite direction into the Great Wasteland and the unexplored region spinward of the Dinnan sector.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Either they missed Sol, or explored past it (or didn't head Coreward all that deep)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Ithekro wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:16 am
Either they missed Sol, or explored past it (or didn't head Coreward all that deep)
They didn't cross the Great Wasteland. Union territory is bounded by Umiak territory anti-spinward and south, by Nissek territory spinward and north, by Historian territory rimward, and by the the Great Wasteland coreward and north. The only direction open is spinward-coreward-south, which is where the new Dinnan sector colonies are being set up as a joint venture with the Barsam.

danuis

Post by danuis »

Do the Loroi have any odd superstitions or myths of note? Perrein had/has some native religions, and there are rites, and such....

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Are the Delrias permitted to establish new colonies? I know the location of Kabel close to the Dinnan sector in the Union Sector map doesn't necessarily mean a thing in a 3D environment, but I wonder...

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

danuis wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 am
Do the Loroi have any odd superstitions or myths of note? Perrein had/has some native religions, and there are rites, and such....
For myths, there is the legend of Tempest and sea furies, mainly old legends about heroes and warfare passed through sanzai. There may be remnant of psychic effects of the progenitors. As for rites, there are many rites of passage for tne Loroi youth.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

danuis wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 am
Sure, all kinds... superstitions don't have to have anything to do with religion. A major one would be one that was just talked about; the Beleri superstition about diral-seii and life and death. There lots of different traditional subcultures on all three Sister Worlds, and lots of different new subcultures on many colony worlds.

A corollary to the above which is relatively common is that since luck is often considered to be a zero-sum game, some Loroi are wary of associating with other Loroi who seem to have survived against the odds (especially if she survived when her companions did not).

GeoModder wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 pm
Are the Delrias permitted to establish new colonies? I know the location of Kabel close to the Dinnan sector in the Union Sector map doesn't necessarily mean a thing in a 3D environment, but I wonder...
No. But the Delrias already have several worlds, and Delrias can migrate to other Union worlds (assuming the national owner of that world allows it).

Krin

Post by Krin »

I'm surprised that Alex didn't pick up on what spiral said on page 165. "The yarn is all woven. Dalid is Dalid"
I find it eerily similar to our Greek Mythology on the three Fates. I'm curious if the Loroi have the word "Moirai" anywhere.
Maybe one of the Fanficiton writers can weave it into one of their stories. :roll: :)

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

Arioch, is the Loroi familiarity normal, such as when they sleep together with alex for warmth and would they do the same with other races, or is the fact Humans look like them leading to more intimate interactions(less guarded) then otherwise?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

MBehave wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:46 am
Arioch, is the Loroi familiarity normal, such as when they sleep together with alex for warmth and would they do the same with other races, or is the fact Humans look like them leading to more intimate interactions(less guarded) then otherwise?
No, it's not normal, but as Beryl said, social mores must give way to necessity in a crisis.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

Arioch wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm
MBehave wrote:
No, it's not normal, but as Beryl said, social mores must give way to necessity in a crisis.
But I could see this leading to closer interaction from these specific Loroi with him, especially if there are more encounters like this. As Arioch said these are social mores based on their current society. These are not immutable things and can evolve over time as a person experiences different things. I suspect that there was time in early Loroi society that they might have well been very different, and a lot closer physically.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Arioch,
What's the Loroi time/distance/mass unit equivalent wrt ours SI system? Such as tozon, solons etc.?
You should do a seperate page for these unit conversions in the insider extra.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 pm
Arioch,
What's the Loroi time/distance/mass unit equivalent wrt ours SI system? Such as tozon, solons etc.?
You should do a seperate page for these unit conversions in the insider extra.
I don't currently have a mass unit specified (I don't think the script calls for it), but I'll think about it. I'll educate myself on how human weight standards were established, as I don't really know.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

By normal I mean in the context, EG replace Alex with a Barsam, they would have acted the same in the crisis?
Arioch wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm
MBehave wrote:

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:32 pm
I don't currently have a mass unit specified (I don't think the script calls for it), but I'll think about it. I'll educate myself on how human weight standards were established, as I don't really know.
Historically: different units for different things. More precise units for small, light things, like how carob seeds were the basis for the carat as the unit of mass for gems.

Because different things have different units, the units represent quantity rather than the more modern notions of mass or volume. Which means a same unit can have a dual meaning of both mass and volume. For example, the hobbit, before going on adventures under J.R.R. Tolkien's pen, was a weight unit for grain defined as two and a half bushels. But the bushel is defined as a volume!

Of course, forget about standardization. The size of a bushel in one village can be different from the size of a bushel in another.

Imagine prehistoric society, moving out of hunter-gatherer survival and adopting agriculture and permanent residence. One thing to do is some accounting. How much food do we have stored, is it enough to last winter, do we need more? For some stuff you can count them directly, but for other, like grain, it's not possible. But you can put them in baskets or pots and count the containers. That gives you a first unit, the pot. Pots are proportionally heavier and frailer than basket (if it falls, it breaks, the basket will just bounce and roll) so your pots can't be as big as your baskets. Maybe a basket contains as much as three pots! So now you have two units. You'll want to build a granary to store all your pots and baskets of grain in a nice dry place where hopefully the rats can't get. The best is to build it out of bricks. How many bricks? A lot. Maybe you'll need a more convenient units than counting the bricks individually; but at the same time you can't put the bricks in your pots or baskets. The bricks have to be transported from where they're baked to where they're needed, so maybe you can count them by the cart. There you go, a third unit! One that applies to bricks, not grain. Also, to bake the bricks, you need clay and firewood.

Basically, historical units of mass and volume are largely derived from transport and storage solutions. But that's not good enough for when you need very precise measurements. As society grows more sophisticated, there will be a need for precise units for coinage, luxury crafts, medicine, natural philosophy...

Speaking of coinage, some of these units of weight will double as a currency. Ever wondered why the Sterling pound is named pound, like the weight unit? Because it was originally defined as being one pound of silver! And that's where precision is important because, with coins made out of precious metals and deriving their worth, originally, from the intrinsic worth of this weight of precious metal, it's tempting to cheat by shaving the coins, and then melting the shavings into more coins. After all, who can tell that the coin is now slightly lighter than it's supposed to be? (Suffice to say that the Sterling pound coins no longer weigh a pound. They're no longer made out of pure silver either. And as a result they're definitely no longer worth one pound of silver!)

As society becomes even more sophisticated, the demands of long range trade result in standardization of weights and measures. You start to get reference standards and some people can be tasked with verifying that the containers, weights, and rulers used to measure things are compliant with the standard.

Sophisticate even more and they will realize that the literal double standard of using different units with very arbitrary relationships between each other (like three pots to the basket and twenty baskets to the cart) is kind of annoying, so the invent the metric system.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

MBehave wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm
By normal I mean in the context, EG replace Alex with a Barsam, they would have acted the same in the crisis?
I don't see why not.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:06 pm
MBehave wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm
I don't see why not.
Historian cuddle-art incoming!

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Arioch wrote:
I don't see why not.
No psy-insulation? Heat is heat, but that brave Barsam would be knowingly sent on a wild ride through the night, wouldn't he?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Mk_C wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 am
Arioch wrote:
I don't see why not.
No psy-insulation? Heat is heat, but that brave Barsam would be knowingly sent on a wild ride through the night, wouldn't he?
Loroi can read other races, not the other way around.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

Execept for human?
Isn't Alex reading Fireblade currently or is it something else?
Arioch wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:24 am
Mk_C wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 am
Arioch wrote:
I don't see why not.
Loroi can read other races, not the other way around.