Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Keklas Rekobah

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Demarquis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:23 pm
Hmm. Pure speculation, but I would presume that some degree of cognitive sophistication is required for the Loroi to connect at all, else they would never get sick ("Stay back, viruses!"). But too sophisticated might create resistance, due to the will of the individual. I have no idea where the line is drawn, but I could imagine a scenario where cats are easier to control than dogs.

But it would be interesting to know if Earth animals are as invisible as humans to Loroi, implying that the effect isn't limited to just the one species, but is something shared by all of them. Something in the DNA? Base proteins?
Your answer can be found  HERE 
Arioch wrote:Telepathy can interact with any mind, and there is no clear dividing line between sapient and sub-sapient, though the more primitive the mind, the fainter the telepathic signature, and susceptibility to telepathy varies even among very intelligent animals (as with "sapient" aliens). Signature detection of animals is very useful in hunting, but most other telepathic abilities require extreme proximity or physical contact, which is not easy to achieve when dealing with wild animals.
There is more to the post than that, of course.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:37 pm
Demarquis wrote:
Hmm. Pure speculation, but I would presume that some degree of cognitive sophistication is required for the Loroi to connect at all, else they would never get sick ("Stay back, viruses!"). But too sophisticated might create resistance, due to the will of the individual. I have no idea where the line is drawn, but I could imagine a scenario where cats are easier to control than dogs.

But it would be interesting to know if Earth animals are as invisible as humans to Loroi, implying that the effect isn't limited to just the one species, but is something shared by all of them. Something in the DNA? Base proteins?
Arioch wrote:Telepathy can interact with any mind, and there is no clear dividing line between sapient and sub-sapient, though the more primitive the mind, the fainter the telepathic signature, and susceptibility to telepathy varies even among very intelligent animals (as with "sapient" aliens). Signature detection of animals is very useful in hunting, but most other telepathic abilities require extreme proximity or physical contact, which is not easy to achieve when dealing with wild animals.

Read it. Thank you.

So let a dog near Tempo... and given her high telepathy stats... she could and would control it if she wished.... because Tempo is like an uber telepath anyway... working for the Emperess... or Emperor... whatever.

Azerein... right.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Bamax wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:20 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:37 pm
Demarquis wrote:

Read it. Thank you.

So let a dog near Tempo... and given her high telepathy stats... she could and would control it if she wished.... because Tempo is like an uber telepath anyway... working for the Emperess... or Emperor... whatever.

Azerein... right.
Feasible. Poor doggy would then be utilized as a drone. The problem is range though. A Mizol could not affect a dog that had to stray more than a hundred meters. Plus a dog can’t just wander into an info-sensitive office.

But something smaller might work, like a bird. Or a lizard. Or a snake… a Solid Snake! :mrgreen: … Insects might be too tricky since they might be too primitive for a Mizol to detect.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Demarquis wrote:
I wouldn't say there's a significant difference between the cognitive sophistication of a cat and that of a dog. It's just that dogs are pack animals so they are easier for us to train as they are predisposed to working in groups and paying attention to other individual's commands. But one shouldn't confuse "capacity to obey orders" with "intelligence"...

For example, if you call your dog, the dog will come because it recognized its name and guessed you want it to come. If you call your cat, the cat will not come, because while it did recognize its name, it simply assumed you wanted to tell it you were back, to which the proper response is of course "alright cool, lemme continue my very important nap". (Well, usually. I actually have a cat that comes running when called, and a dog that only bothers to come when she feels like it. But those are statistical outliers.)

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@Arioch: After having completed Chapter 9 of "Wind and Fire", I have to ask how much of it (if any) would ever be considered 'canonical'?
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

gaerzi wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:30 pm
Demarquis wrote:
I wouldn't say there's a significant difference between the cognitive sophistication of a cat and that of a dog. It's just that dogs are pack animals so they are easier for us to train as they are predisposed to working in groups and paying attention to other individual's commands. But one shouldn't confuse "capacity to obey orders" with "intelligence"...

For example, if you call your dog, the dog will come because it recognized its name and guessed you want it to come. If you call your cat, the cat will not come, because while it did recognize its name, it simply assumed you wanted to tell it you were back, to which the proper response is of course "alright cool, lemme continue my very important nap". (Well, usually. I actually have a cat that comes running when called, and a dog that only bothers to come when she feels like it. But those are statistical outliers.)
I've owned both cats and dogs (own both now) and I can assure you that, while you are completely correct as regarding a dog's pack orientation, quite separate from that it's obvious dogs are, generally, more intelligent than cats (housecats anyway, never owned a Tiger). Their respective brain to body ratios provides some objective evidence as well.

Though everything is relative, I suppose. Compared to, say, an insect cats and dogs are very alike. Depends on what the Loroi are used to.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm
@Arioch: After having completed Chapter 9 of "Wind and Fire", I have to ask how much of it (if any) would ever be considered 'canonical'?
I haven't read it, sorry.

It looks like it takes place after the events of the comic, so it probably wouldn't be appropriate for me to comment on anyway.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

No worries. It makes for good reading, though.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:57 am
No worries. It makes for good reading, though.
I am flattered that you have enjoyed it that much, Keklas Rekobah. Sincere praises keep me motivated.

You might already be aware of this yet I still feel compelled to point out that the fanfic ‘Wind and Fire’ is just that. A fanfic. While I try to stay true to Outsider lore and use some of the Insider archives to back it up, I have no secret insight into the comic’s future plot. Or the mysteries of sanzai or dream bonding. Or the characters. Or Greywind for that matter. The Greywind of my fanfic may likely be nothing like the Greywind we shall eventually meet in the comic’s story. The webcomic Greywind may turn out to be a complicated ruler with redeemable qualities. Maybe she is in fact a monstrous villain.

Much of what I plan to write about Greywind’s past I simply make up. It is not officially Greywind’s biography. If there were some official info about Greywind’s bio or history, I would love to incorporate that into my fanfic. But the disclosure of that info is up to the author of the comic, Arioch.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:33 am
You might already be aware of this yet I still feel compelled to point out that the fanfic ‘Wind and Fire’ is just that. A fanfic.
Yes, of course.  It is "only" fanfic.  While I do not normally read fanfic, it was Wolf329's illustrations for the story that intrigued me as to its contents.  After reading through Arioch's canon a few times, I have become addicted.  Your fanfic is getting me through the current "dry spell".

(Yes, I know there is Patreon too, but my fixed income puts me on a very tight budget.)

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ARIOCH: Is the Loroi concept of "Luck" a zero-sum concept?  I mean, does the concept consider a successful person to have stolen the 'luck' of those who have failed?

I was thinking about former classmates who accused me of stealing their grade-points after I scored highly on exams -- that the only way I could have received a 4.0 GPA was if I had stolen grade-points from people with lower GPA scores.

"It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." -- Gore Vidal (1925-2012)

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:02 pm
@ARIOCH: Is the Loroi concept of "Luck" a zero-sum concept?  I mean, does the concept consider a successful person to have stolen the 'luck' of those who have failed?

I was thinking about former classmates who accused me of stealing their grade-points after I scored highly on exams -- that the only way I could have received a 4.0 GPA was if I had stolen grade-points from people with lower GPA scores.

Seriously?! Classmates accused you of stealing grade points?! Just how dumb can some people be?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:43 pm
Keklas Rekobah wrote:
@ARIOCH: Is the Loroi concept of "Luck" a zero-sum concept?  I mean, does the concept consider a successful person to have stolen the 'luck' of those who have failed?  I was thinking about former classmates who accused me of stealing their grade-points after I scored highly on exams -- that the only way I could have received a 4.0 GPA was if I had stolen grade-points from people with lower GPA scores.

Seriously?! Classmates accused you of stealing grade points?! Just how dumb can some people be?
The same kind of 'dumb' that accused me of copying off their answer sheets when I aced (or nearly aced) an exam and they barely passed.

But that has nothing to do with the thread topic . . . hmm . . .

@ARIOCH: Would Loroi creche-mates use the same methods of cheating in class as humans, or would they have to be more creative?  Do they cheat at all?

(Okay, we're back on topic. :D )

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:

Not all Loroi have the same views on the subject (as Beryl earnestly tries to stress), but the concept of dalid is part fortune and part fate, and it concerns itself with subjects like victory vs. defeat and survival vs. death, rather than things like lucky dice rolls or doing well on an exam (not that exam performance really has anything to do with luck). It's also tied into their expectations of duty and leadership. An individual who endures hardship is thought to ease the hardship of those around her, and an individual who survives at the expense of others is not someone that others want to be around. To that extent it could be described as zero-sum.

I don't know the situation with the classmates you mention, but if grades are based a bell curve (which they often were at least in my day), then if one student substantially outperforms the rest of the class, he or she actually does negatively affect their grades.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:46 am
An individual who endures hardship is thought to ease the hardship of those around her, and an individual who survives at the expense of others is not someone that others want to be around. To that extent it could be described as zero-sum.
When you put it that way, dalid kinda makes sense (in the Soiaverse context). I remember a story about an isolated village in which everyone was happy, healthy, and prosperous, save one - a person who had been taken from his parents and placed in a cell, where he was never held, never spoken to, and never had direct contact with another human being. His misery somehow enabled good things for everyone else in the village.
Arioch wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:46 am
. . . if grades are based a bell curve (which they often were at least in my day), then if one student substantially outperforms the rest of the class, he or she actually does negatively affect their grades.
Come to think of it, I remember hearing a lot about “The Curve”, but never gave it much thought.

White

Post by White »

Looking into the matter a little thoroughly, I've noticed that there seems to be a general trend among Loroi society to be largely a-religious regarding beliefs in deity's or spirits and the like, at least on any widespread scale across their society. I think I remember that the closest thing they might have to such a concept being... themselves. Or their hypothetical past selves, in any case.

And, I think I remember this was the case because telepathy made it more difficult for convenient interpretations to progenerate over time.

But, do the Loroi have any major non-diestic or agnostic religious movements. Or any contemplative traditions that focus on, well, focus. And, if so, have the telepathic Loroi come to any conclusions that are vastly different to the general, vague consensus that's formed across the earth's myriad traditions.

Of course, there are differences between earthly traditions, but they generally do have some agreement on the case that the physical world does not represent the complete, or even primary description of existence. That the ultimate achievement is transcendence of the ego in some manner. That ethical behavior is a natural consequence of this.

Of course, different religions have various other commitments and features that intrude upon these basics, and even the interpretations of these basics, or of their prominence in doctrine may not be there, but I don't think it's completely baseless to say that these commonalities do exist among humans.

(Granted, my knowledge on this topic is limited mainly to eastern and western religions. That does leave out a lot of shamanistic beliefs, various pantheons from various cultures, as well as the entirety of the New World belief systems, which did have a degree of separation from their old world counterparts. So I'm slightly aware of that blind spot.)

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:16 am
I remember a story about an isolated village in which everyone was happy, healthy, and prosperous, save one - a person who had been taken from his parents and placed in a cell, where he was never held, never spoken to, and never had direct contact with another human being. His misery somehow enabled good things for everyone else in the village.
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, by Ursula Le Guin.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

White wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:30 pm
But, do the Loroi have any major non-diestic or agnostic religious movements. Or any contemplative traditions that focus on, well, focus. And, if so, have the telepathic Loroi come to any conclusions that are vastly different to the general, vague consensus that's formed across the earth's myriad traditions.
I would argue that a "non-deistic religion" is not a religion. There are a lot of elements of human culture that get wrapped up under the heading of religion -- philosophy, morality, tradition, law, science, education, art and spirituality, to name a few -- and I don't think that any of these subjects are dependent upon what has become the usual human concept of "religion." (I also find darkly humorous the assertion that there is a "vague consensus" among the world's religions... but let's not get into that right now.)

In particular, I don't accept the common narrative that morality and sense of purpose spring from religion. Human beings (and our hominid forebears, and chimpanzees and gorillas and many other social animals) have systems of morality and codes of behavior that predate even the earliest languages, much less the earliest religions. A sense that there is a whole greater than the individual and the notion that it's not okay to murder your friends and family is a requirement for the functioning of social species; we could never have survived to the point where we could build the first civilizations without already having these codes. They are an integral part of who we are, not foreign concepts handed down to us by supernatural beings.

The earliest human "religions" (the animist or shamanistic traditions of our hunter-gatherer ancestors) were their cultures' attempts to answer the basic questions of existence: who are we? Where do we come from? How does the world around us work, and why? What is the correct way to live? And what is the meaning of all this? Humanity answered these questions through one of our most powerful tools: storytelling. Our stories about the natural phenomena we experienced and the great (and infamous) deeds of our ancestors were more than just entertainment; they were how we worked out the questions of our existence, and how we disseminated these answers to our fellows and our offspring. Over countless successive retellings, these stories became sagas and myths and scripture, and the protagonists in them became heroes, and legends, and eventually gods, more fiction than fact. But I can tell you, as a professional storyteller, that the power and meaning in a story has very little to do with whether that story is factually true. Humans seek truth and affirmation even in stories that we consciously know are pure fiction (like The Lord of the Rings) because they fulfill the same purposes as our oldest myths: they tell us who we are, and why we are, and what is expected of us.

Now, this cycle of storytelling, in a different form, is exactly what the Loroi have in their telepathic sagas. They're part history, part heroic myth, part philosophy, and part ancestor worship. They're disseminated and interpreted by a dedicated "priesthood" of sorts (the Nedatan and related orders), and so they have some of the same shortcomings as our organized religions -- the tendency for the needs of a bureaucracy to get in the way of the "better angels" of our nature -- but also many of the same virtues. They're also more factually accurate than many of our myths, owing partly to accuracy of telepathy and Loroi memory, and partly due to the heroes of their sagas being ultra-tech beings commanding genuinely god-like powers.

And because even the savage post-fall Loroi still had vague memories of an ancestral interstellar civilization in their stories, as well as living examples of psionic individuals able to manipulate the world around them, they didn't really need to invent supernatural explanations about how the sun rises and sets, or to ascribe animist spirits to the rocks and the trees and the water. (Though some still did, on occasion -- there were some genuine religions in Loroi history.)

As to spirituality, I think the telepathic Loroi probably spend more time in their own heads than most humans do, so to speak, as for them it is an established fact that the mind extends into a reality beyond the physical world. But this is something that we'll get more into in the course of the story.

(And yes, it will continue soon. Soon.)

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ARIOCH: Does the Loroi in the second image on the “Loroi Rites of Passage” page have a name? I am looking for one I can use for a fanfic. If the Loroi has no name, may I have your permission to give her one and use the image on the title page?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:27 am
@ARIOCH: Does the Loroi in the second image on the “Loroi Rites of Passage” page have a name? I am looking for one I can use for a fanfic. If the Loroi has no name, may I have your permission to give her one and use the image on the title page?
No she doesn't represent a specific character. And yes, you can use the image.