Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by GeoModder »

Talking about Ashrain, how much say does a Group Commander have over the ship Torret's under her command regarding transfers and promotions?
I can see Ashrain and her ship stuck indefinitely in SG51 even if she thought it time to move on or the highers-up trying to put her in a less perilous position, if Stillstorm found it necessary to keep Black Razor (and her captain) close at hand.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Arioch wrote:Ashrain asked for a transfer, and her whole ship got transferred with her.
Did that make her popular or unpopular with her crew?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Werra wrote:
Arioch wrote:Ashrain asked for a transfer, and her whole ship got transferred with her.
The ones who were unhappy with the idea presumably put in for and got transferred, at least that's according to the insider.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Talking about Ashrain, how much say does a Group Commander have over the ship Torret's under her command regarding transfers and promotions?
I can see Ashrain and her ship stuck indefinitely in SG51 even if she thought it time to move on or the highers-up trying to put her in a less perilous position, if Stillstorm found it necessary to keep Black Razor (and her captain) close at hand.
Assignment of units to groups is made at the operational level, so while a group commander may request certain units or officers (or express a preference against certain units or officers), ultimately she ends up with whatever units she's given. Once under her command, the organization of the group and its sub-units are mostly up to the group commander, especially for a raider group which must operate mostly independently of other fleets. Actual formal promotions to higher rank must be approved by a higher administrative level, but functional promotions (such as putting a different ship's captain in charge of a squadron, etc.) can be made on the spot by the group commander. But if Black Razor were reassigned to another group, there's not much Stillstorm would be able to do about it.

Aboard each ship, the captain has ultimate responsibility for personnel decisions. In terms of personnel transfers, there are both practical and administrative factors to deal with (there has to be an arrangement for replacement personnel and means to get the affected parties on and off the ship), so I imagine both the group commander and the higher administrative authorities must get involved to some degree.
boldilocks wrote:
Werra wrote:
The ones who were unhappy with the idea presumably put in for and got transferred, at least that's according to the insider.
Black Razor is a relatively new ship with young officers, some of whom followed Ashrain from her previous post; I think most of them were eager to get into action. No doubt there were some who preferred the safer and more prestigious Imperial Guard duty, but they were self-aware enough to realize that openly objecting to frontline duty during wartime would not be a good career move, and so may have found some other pretext to ask for a transfer.

And, as far as prestige in concerned, Black Razor is still technically an Imperial Guard unit. It's like a special unit citation that I don't think can be easily taken away without disbanding the unit.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Given that Loroi don't age until they fall apart, does that mean their stem cells remain active for their whole lives? Would a pre-industrial Loroi regrow teeth or even a lost finger?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:Given that Loroi don't age until they fall apart, does that mean their stem cells remain active for their whole lives? Would a pre-industrial Loroi regrow teeth or even a lost finger?
Because of their longer lifespan, Loroi would need to have the ability to grow additonal sets of teeth as their adult set wears out. It wouldn't really be a case of regeneration, but rather of shedding the old teeth and growing new ones, as many animals do (and human children do). Loroi ability to naturally heal and regenerate lost tissue is only slightly better than a human's (leaving aside Loroi medical technology).

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

It's been firmly established that the Loroi use doors as we understand them and apparently also lock them. While I have no doubts that starting with the digital age and on one can quite easily make an unpickable or unbypassable lock, but I wonder, how did the Loroi keep their doors, cars, jail cells, hand cuffs, etc. locked in the past?

I can easily see every second Perrein Loroi, not even a trained Mizol agent, being able to pick any mechanical lock with their weak but very precise telekinesis (the principle of picking locks is fascinatingly easy, the skill is getting in there while not seeing what you're doing) or trip any mechanical relay, solenoid or actuator inside an electromechanical lock, while a Teidar can just as easily twist open any mechanical lock or just force the door open if they don't want to be subtle.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

entity2636 wrote:It's been firmly established that the Loroi use doors as we understand them and apparently also lock them. While I have no doubts that starting with the digital age and on one can quite easily make an unpickable or unbypassable lock, but I wonder, how did the Loroi keep their doors, cars, jail cells, hand cuffs, etc. locked in the past?

I can easily see every second Perrein Loroi, not even a trained Mizol agent, being able to pick any mechanical lock with their weak but very precise telekinesis (the principle of picking locks is fascinatingly easy, the skill is getting in there while not seeing what you're doing) or trip any mechanical relay, solenoid or actuator inside an electromechanical lock, while a Teidar can just as easily twist open any mechanical lock or just force the door open if they don't want to be subtle.
The limitation on telekinetic lockpicking is that psychokinesis does not provide any direct feedback from the objects being manipulated, and so unless the lockpicker can see or somehow visualize the mechanism, it is very difficult to know where to poke. So a run of the mill telekinetic Loroi probably can't defeat most common locks, in which the mechanism is hidden from view.

A skilled Mizol won't need to pick locks in most cases; she can usually use other techniques to get the key or passcode, or better yet, to trick someone else into opening the lock for her.

A Teidar whose telekinesis is strong enough to break a mechanical lock is also probably strong enough to kill, and so can't really be captured or held captive against her will. Psionic enemies generally have to be killed.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Is there any loroi food that can be dangerous for human? Or even act like a drug?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Zorg56 wrote:Is there any loroi food that can be dangerous for human? Or even act like a drug?
It would seem at least one behaves like an emetic, in that it made Alex puke it back up.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

CF2 wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:Is there any loroi food that can be dangerous for human? Or even act like a drug?
It would seem at least one behaves like an emetic, in that it made Alex puke it back up.
I am afraid that Alex can starve to death...

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I'm sure the Loroi picked up rations from Bellarmine's wreck. And their technology should be good enough to synthesize the food they found.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

GeoModder wrote:I'm sure the Loroi picked up rations from Bellarmine's wreck. And their technology should be good enough to synthesize the food they found.
Then why they tried to feed him with their food?
How much have passed? Week or two?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

On a waship synhesizers might not be available, or only with limited capabilities.
So, no copied Human foods.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

To be fair, isn't it standard procedure for welcoming diplomats to try to feed him your crappiests foods?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

boldilocks wrote:To be fair, isn't it standard procedure for welcoming diplomats to try to feed him your crappiests foods?
They might not be the crappiest foodstuff available to Loroi.
Tempest is a warship, and its CO is to say the least hostile towards Alex.
Would you expect gourmet food on a Navy missile cruiser?

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

I didnt tried to feed unknown specie my food even if it is best dished of our race.
Just because it can be neurotoxin or somthing like this for this specie.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Zorg56 wrote:I didnt tried to feed unknown specie my food even if it is best dished of our race.
I expect the loroi, being one species among several in a union, would have some level of competence in this regard already.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

boldilocks wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:I didnt tried to feed unknown specie my food even if it is best dished of our race.
I expect the loroi, being one species among several in a union, would have some level of competence in this regard already.
Bear in mind the majority of the spacefaring members of the Loroi Union are Soia-Liron bio-engineered species, so they may share a great deal more biology than Loroi and Humans.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Loroi medical knowledge will include a lot of experience in dealing with alien species (which is evidenced by their ability to crack Alex out of his suit and treat his wounds without killing him), but Loroi military vessels do not usually carry alien crewmembers, and so their facilities for handling aliens will be limited. Unless they were expecting passengers, they won't carry special rations designed for aliens, or portable food fabricators (if such things even exist at this tech level). They would stock the shuttle with additional medical and survival supplies and such available foodstuffs as they think might be appropriate; they have some knowledge of which Loroi foods are less likely to be tolerated by various aliens, so they can offer the safest known options, but it's all guesswork until Alex actually tries them.