Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by dragoongfa »

Depends on what he is thinking at the moment, military stuff would get an obvious pass but basic male... thoughts about the Loroi themselves? Most men would be awestruck by a Loroi and the Loroi don't seem to be prudes to react negatively when a male is physically attracted to them. Now there are some deviants who will get a blaster shot to the head if someone reads their thoughts but many humans would react the same way as well.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

dragoongfa wrote:Depends on what he is thinking at the moment, military stuff would get an obvious pass but basic male... thoughts about the Loroi themselves? Most men would be awestruck by a Loroi and the Loroi don't seem to be prudes to react negatively when a male is physically attracted to them. Now there are some deviants who will get a blaster shot to the head if someone reads their thoughts but many humans would react the same way as well.
I dunno, would they actually be used to male interest? I mean, their males apparently mate due to physical dependency, so...

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

boldilocks wrote:I dunno, would they actually be used to male interest? I mean, their males apparently mate due to physical dependency, so...
What he probably meant was that the Loroi are likely used to the following sequence of events:

I arrange a mating encounter.
I meet a male.
The male couples with me, we don't dance around the issue.
We go our merry ways.

This is totally different from the sexual dynamics of human pairings, where males have to court females and females often reject many males before choosing the one they like. This does not happen in Loroi society at all, as far as I am aware. Both sexes are used to getting on with it whenever they meet.

If the Loroi could get over Alex's obviously alien appearance, I don't think they'd have many inhibitions to intimate contact if that was allowed. As for Alex, well, he's just a guy, he can't help himself.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Victor_D wrote:This is totally different from the sexual dynamics of human pairings, where males have to court females and females often reject many males before choosing the one they like. This does not happen in Loroi society at all, as far as I am aware. Both sexes are used to getting on with it whenever they meet.

If the Loroi could get over Alex's obviously alien appearance, I don't think they'd have many inhibitions to intimate contact if that was allowed. As for Alex, well, he's just a guy, he can't help himself.
In this case, I'd prefer an Alex who was a sexually conservative hopeless romantic, desperately trying to woo Loroi women with dinners, flowers, ballads, and a kiss on the hand. Maybe even sort of Casanunda like in his wooing. (https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Giamo_Casanunda)

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Victor_D wrote:... he can't help himself.
Where in the comic is this implied? You know a lot of "us guys" can help it, and without being 40 year old virgins, either. :roll:

CJSF

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

cacambo43 wrote:Where in the comic is this implied? You know a lot of "us guys" can help it, and without being 40 year old virgins, either. :roll:
CJSF
Quiet, man-thing! Stow that penis and comport yourself under the staircase where your cave-dwelling kind belongs, lest you molest some woman!

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

boldilocks wrote:In this case, I'd prefer an Alex who was a sexually conservative hopeless romantic, desperately trying to woo Loroi women with dinners, flowers, ballads, and a kiss on the hand. Maybe even sort of Casanunda like in his wooing. (https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Giamo_Casanunda)
I think nothing romantic will even come up in the story, because Arioch will want to subvert the cliché a bit. You can look, but not touch, that sort of thing ;)
cacambo43 wrote:
Victor_D wrote:... he can't help himself.
Where in the comic is this implied? You know a lot of "us guys" can help it, and without being 40 year old virgins, either. :roll:

CJSF
Can't help himself think "male thoughts", feel an attraction, in case that wasn't clear. And don't tell me guys don't think like that, even if they're happily married. It's natural and unless you act on the thoughts randomly flipping through your brain, all's fine. But the Loroi could be surprised, if they ever managed to read his thoughts, somehow.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

boldilocks wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:Where in the comic is this implied? You know a lot of "us guys" can help it, and without being 40 year old virgins, either. :roll:
CJSF
Quiet, man-thing! Stow that penis and comport yourself under the staircase where your cave-dwelling kind belongs, lest you molest some woman!
:lol: LOL!

CJSF

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Victor_D wrote:think nothing romantic will even come up in the story, because Arioch will want to subvert the cliché a bit. You can look, but not touch, that sort of thing ;)
Oh, I agree with that, I'm just saying that in terms of a culture clash I'd prefer the more ridiculous.

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

So, I'd been reading a few of the Insider pages again (because why not?) when I noticed in the "Small Craft" section of the 'Shipboard Weapon Profiles' entry, it says quite emphatically that Small Craft have no jump capability.

This got me thinking, does the Highland have a jump drive? I mean, it does have Inertial Compensation, a prerequisite for having a Jump Drive, but taking a quick look at the x-ray/deckplans of the Highland on the WIP Thread (Page 3 of that thread, middle-isa of the page), there doesn't seem to be enough space for what I imagine to be the big, bulky Jump Field Generator. (How big are those, anyway?)

Then again, it was never implied that the Highland was jump-capable, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :p
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Are Loroi able to broadcast their experiences in the moment? As in full body physical sensations that are felt by the receiver, or would it be more or less like being told about how a person feels rather than feeling it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GabrielGABFonseca wrote:So, I'd been reading a few of the Insider pages again (because why not?) when I noticed in the "Small Craft" section of the 'Shipboard Weapon Profiles' entry, it says quite emphatically that Small Craft have no jump capability.

This got me thinking, does the Highland have a jump drive? I mean, it does have Inertial Compensation, a prerequisite for having a Jump Drive, but taking a quick look at the x-ray/deckplans of the Highland on the WIP Thread (Page 3 of that thread, middle-isa of the page), there doesn't seem to be enough space for what I imagine to be the big, bulky Jump Field Generator. (How big are those, anyway?)

Then again, it was never implied that the Highland was jump-capable, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :p
No, the Highland is not jump capable. The shuttle is not going to Seren itself, but instead transferring the party to a ship that will take them.
CF2 wrote:Are Loroi able to broadcast their experiences in the moment? As in full body physical sensations that are felt by the receiver, or would it be more or less like being told about how a person feels rather than feeling it?
More the latter than the former.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

No, the Highland is not jump capable. The shuttle is not going to Seren itself, but instead transferring the party to a ship that will take them.
Could the Loroi build a jump capable version of the Highland or would that not be usefull in any way?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Can Loroi use their telepathy in a more insidious way: memory modification, Bene Gesserit's Voice, sleeper agents, etc..?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:
Could the Loroi build a jump capable version of the Highland or would that not be usefull in any way?
The limitation on the miniaturization of jump drive is power requirement; the energy required to jump a ship scales with mass, but there is a minimum energy required to break the surface tensions of spacetime, regardless of how small the ship is. A jump capable shuttle would need a powerplant similar to that used in corvettes or frigates (which are usually 150-200m total). Such a shuttle would need to be roughly twice the size of the Highland, and so wouldn't be able to fit in many hangars... it would probably need to be towed, as some jump-capable Umiak gunboats are.
raistlin34 wrote:Can Loroi use their telepathy in a more insidious way: memory modification, Bene Gesserit's Voice, sleeper agents, etc..?
Insidious telepathic techniques are what the Mizol are all about.
SpoilerShow
(Art by Amy Leeds)

D1ff3r3nt

Post by D1ff3r3nt »

Arioch wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:Can Loroi use their telepathy in a more insidious way: memory modification, Bene Gesserit's Voice, sleeper agents, etc..?
Insidious telepathic techniques are what the Mizol are all about.
SpoilerShow
(Art by Amy Leeds)
Jardin is the Mahdi confirmed

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Does Erebas have any epithets other than “the Terrible”?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hālian wrote:Does Erebas have any epithets other than “the Terrible”?
Nope, that one does the job.

Loroi legends don't usually have as many variants as ours do (as these are supposed to be "true" stories rather than parables), but they make up for this by having a huge number of different heroic characters who perform different roles. It's like the Game of Thrones version of the Iliad, but on steroids.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

That's fair. I was asking for custom Magic: The Gathering purposes; “Tempest the Terrible” is kinda lame by MTG card name standards, and her untranslated name, Erebas, would very easily be confused with Erebos, the Therian god of the dead.

(Also, given how often extant card names get mispronounced, “Erebas Sazaset” is a real tongue-twister.)

So… IDK. I guess “Erebas Sazaset” will stand.
Don't delay, join today!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

What would happen if, for example, Beryl got pregnant and had a son? Does she belong to some kind of family that would then have the male as their charge, or would she have charge of him? (Ie, have to set up mating calls and whatnot)