Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Are any of the Loroi in the brig in page 36 Flint or Reed? I don't want to be wrong about their first appearances.

[e]Also, was it Cloud who took away the Historian's urn in page 36? The hair is the same style, but looks a little longer than when we saw her last.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Loroi Concept Art wrote:Hairstyle is an individual choice, but in general, the more elaborate the hairstyle, the higher the social status of the wearer, and the longer the hair, the older the individual.
I mean, I'd expect someone who grew her hair out beyond her years, so to speak, would catch shit over it unless she was such an epic badass that nobody dared give her shit over it.
Fireblade, for example: she's 25 years old, but her hair hangs down to about just above her knees, or roughly 70% the height of her body. Stillstorm and Tempo are both much older than Fireblade, but wear their hair quite a lot shorter. So clearly, there's some allowance for a younger officer to have hair longer than her seniors.

So is it just a case of "Unsheathed can do whatever the hell they want with their hair," or "Notable badasses can do whatever the hell they want with their hair," or is it like, you risk scorn/ridicule/ostracisement/disciplinary action if you wear your hair longer/more elaborately than custom says you should, but if your shipmates/commander accept it, it's okay, or would a young officer who wants to wear her hair longer than her years need to request permission from her commander (and possibly justify it somehow?)
From what I recall, Stillstorm actually cut her hair and is growing it back due to prior shenanigans. I can't exactly recall what though; it was either something to do with Admiral Sunfall, or the death of one or two of her daughters. Not 100% on that though.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

ShadowDragon8685

Razor One wrote:From what I recall, Stillstorm actually cut her hair and is growing it back due to prior shenanigans. I can't exactly recall what though; it was either something to do with Admiral Sunfall, or the death of one or two of her daughters. Not 100% on that though.
Fair enough.

===

Did Razorthorn get demoted between her first appearance and when we see her on the bridge? Her trim is notably blue in medbay, but on the bridge panels in which she appears, her glowing trim appears bright white, as if she had been demoted from Teidar Ragan to Teidar.

===

Also, the first draft of my index is complete.
SpoilerShow
* = First Appearance
? = Name unknown/conjectural/nickname
✝ = Character Died/Last living Appearance

Chapter 1 Title
Fireblade*
Page 19
Fireblade, Beryl*, Brown-Bob (Doranzer)?*
Page 20
Fireblade, Beryl, Brown-Bob?, Desire? (Green-Haired Doranzer)*
Page 21
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 22
Brown-Bob Doranzer, Desire?, Razorthorn*, Mothwing*, Stillstorm*
Page 23
Stillstorm, Fireblade, Beryl
Page 24
Beryl, Fireblade, Stillstorm
Page 25
Stillstorm, Fireblade, Brown-Bob, Beryl, Desire?, Razorthorn
Page 26
Stillstorm, Mothwing, Razorthorn, Fireblade
Page 27
Fireblade
Page 28
Mothwing, Razorthorn, Fireblade

Page 31
Fireblade
Page 32
Fireblade
Page 33
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 34
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 35
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 36
Beryl, Brig Guard (Soroin) 1*?, Fireblade, Beryl, Brig Guard (Soroin; Reed?) 2*?, Brig Guard (Soroin) 3?*, Brig Guard (Soroin) 4?*
Page 37
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 38
Beryl
Page 39
Beryl, Fireblade, Brig Guard (Soroin) 5?*
Page 40
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 41
Spiral*, Talon*, Beryl, Fireblade, Cloud*
Page 42
Cloud, Beryl, Fireblade, Welder 1?*, Welder 2?*
Caste Unknown for the welders; not Gallen uniforms.
Page 43
Beryl, Fireblade, Cloud
Page 44
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 45
Fireblade, Cloud, Beryl
Page 46
Beryl, Fireblade, Cloud
Page 47
Fireblade, Beryl, Pink-Hair (Soroin) 1*?, Cloud
Page 48
Cloud, Beryl, Fireblade
Page 49
Cloud, Fireblade, Beryl
Page 50
Tempest (Depiction)*, Beryl
Page 51
Beryl, Cloud, Fireblade,
Page 52
... Fuck my life. This is where the bridge scenes start.
Panel 1: Starboard Gallery 1*?, Tactical (Listel)*?, Razorthorn, Cloud, Subsystems Chief (Soroin)*?, Bridge Guard 1*?,
Panel 3: Port Gallery 1?*, Port Gallery 2*?, Razorthorn, Tempo*, Rune-Laurel*, Tactical, Copilot*?, Helmsman*?, Forest*, Cobalt*, Redriver*, Point-Defense?*, Forward Gallery 1*?,
Page 53
Tempo
Page 54
Tempo
Page 55
Fireblade, Beryl, Tempo, Rune Laurel, Tactical, Razorthorn
Page 56
Tempo, Subsystems Chief
Page 57
Tempo
Page 58
Fireblade, Beryl, Tempo, Razorthorn, Tactical
Page 59
Tempo
Page 60
Fireblade, Tempo, Beryl
Page 61
Tempo, Stillstorm, Tactical, Bridge Guard 1, Razorthorn, Fireblade, Bridge Guard 2?*, Beryl, Subsystems Chief
Page 62
Fireblade, Stillstorm, Tempo
Page 63
Fireblade, Tempo, Beryl, Tactical, Razorthorn
Page 64
Stillstorm, Tempo, Beryl,
Page 65
Tempo, Point-Defense, Bridge Gofer (Is this Cloud? Hair looks too long.)*?
Page 66
Tempo
Page 67
Tempo, Stillstorm
Page 68
Rune Laurel, Tempo, Forest, Stillstorm, Nova*
Page 69
Stillstorm, Rune Laurel, Beryl, Tempo
Page 70
Tempo, Fireblade, Razorthorn, Beryl, Stillstorm
Page 71
Stillstorm, Tempo, Nova, Rune Laurel, Forest, Beryl
Page 72
Beryl, Fireblade
Page 73
Moonglow*, Rune Laurel, Ashrain*, Stillstorm, Arclight*, Forest, Nova
Page 74
Beryl

Page 76
Tempest, Cobalt, Redriver,

Page 78
Forest, Stillstorm, Rune Laurel
Page 79
Talon, Nova, Beryl
Page 80
Arclight, Nova, Stillstorm, Ashrain
Page 81
Moonglow
Page 82
Moonglow
Page 83
Moonglow, Ashrain
Page 84
Stllstorm, Winter Tide Tenoin*✝, Nova✝, Arclight
Page 85
Beryl, Fireblade, Forest, Rune Laurel, Arclight, Stillstorm
Page 86
Subsystems Chief, Tempo, Forest, Rune Laurel, Stillstorm
Page 87
Tempo, Stillstorm
Page 88
Beryl, Stillstorm
Page 89
Stillstorm, Beryl
Page 90
Beryl, Fireblade, Stillstorm, Tempo
Page 91
Beryl, Fireblade, Rune Laurel, Stillstorm

Page 98
Fireblade, Reed* (Unless she was in the brig)
Page 99
Fireblade, Flint* (Unless she was in the brig,) Reed
Page 100
Reed, Fireblade, Satchel Gofer*?, Beryl, Flint
Page 101
Beryl, Satchel Gofer, Fireblade, Flint
Page 102
Beryl, Flint, Fireblade, Reed
Page 103
Beryl, Flint
Page 104
Beryl, Flint, Fireblade, Reed, Tempo, Cloud
Page 105
Beryl, Tempo, Cloud, Flint, Fireblade, Reed
Page 106
Beryl, Tempo, Fireblade
Page 107
Tempo, Cloud, Beryl
Page 108
Beryl, Fireblade, Tempo, Cloud
Page 109
Tempo, Cloud, Beryl
Page 110
Tempo, Beryl
Page 111
Beryl, Tempo, Talon
Page 112
Tempo, Talon
[e2] Got the Visual Index underway. Still a WIP. (Sorry, WtDwJ fans. When a bugaboo like this takes me, gotta finish it.)

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Did Razorthorn get demoted between her first appearance and when we see her on the bridge? Her trim is notably blue in medbay, but on the bridge panels in which she appears, her glowing trim appears bright white, as if she had been demoted from Teidar Ragan to Teidar.
Maybe the "glare" of the trim stands out better because it is darker on the bridge?

ShadowDragon8685

GeoModder wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Did Razorthorn get demoted between her first appearance and when we see her on the bridge? Her trim is notably blue in medbay, but on the bridge panels in which she appears, her glowing trim appears bright white, as if she had been demoted from Teidar Ragan to Teidar.
Maybe the "glare" of the trim stands out better because it is darker on the bridge?
Dunno; maybe, maybe not. It just seems that it's bright white, rather than bright cyan. Maybe I'm looking wrong, that's entirely possible. That's why I asked.

Also, the port-side bridge guard is absent from the wide-angle shot on Page 52, but appears in the wide shot on Page 61. Maybe she snuck in while the camera was looking at someone else? :)

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Dunno; maybe, maybe not. It just seems that it's bright white, rather than bright cyan. Maybe I'm looking wrong, that's entirely possible. That's why I asked.

Also, the port-side bridge guard is absent from the wide-angle shot on Page 52, but appears in the wide shot on Page 61. Maybe she snuck in while the camera was looking at someone else? :)
That is what you do if you are late. Sneak in hoping no one will notice. It is like when I made my then mandatory tour of duty in the military and we forgot to raise the flag in time a Sunday morning. What to do? Raise the flag as quickly as possible without the trumpet fanfare over the regiments speaker system. As far as I know, no one noticed. :-D

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:

On page 61 Razorthorn's insignia is Cyan again so I will put it down to creator's error :P

ShadowDragon8685

How are Loroi vessels' crews' called to action?

In Page 73, Forest issues the command "at quick for action," but there don't appear to be any klaxons or changes in the lighting. Is the command just supposed to propagate throughout the ship by being echoed by the crew telepathically?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Since the bridge is usually fully staffed in near-combat situations in disputed territories anyway, it may well be that any alarm will not sound on the bridge.
It would be rather distracting for the command chain to be drowned by claxons and flashing lights.

Yes, Star Trek gives you the impression an audiovisible alarm on the bridge, where everyone knows what is happening and everyone heard the original command of "code red" anyway, is a necessity.
But Star Trek necessities are more according to drama than real-life requirements.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

ShadowDragon8685

Krulle wrote:Since the bridge is usually fully staffed in near-combat situations in disputed territories anyway, it may well be that any alarm will not sound on the bridge.
It would be rather distracting for the command chain to be drowned by claxons and flashing lights.

Yes, Star Trek gives you the impression an audiovisible alarm on the bridge, where everyone knows what is happening and everyone heard the original command of "code red" anyway, is a necessity.
But Star Trek necessities are more according to drama than real-life requirements.
I wouldn't expect a constant sounding alert, but changing the lighting color/turning on some alert lights that aren't bright enough to change the color mood and draw attention without drawing too much attention shouldn't be hard, I would think.

Also, the lights in the corridor didn't change when Fireblade and Beryl dragged Alex out.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I assume Tempest is "at quick" anyway, they are in disputed territories just after a battle anyway.
It may well be that we never saw Tempest in a non-combat situation.
So, why would the corridor show any changes?
Why would any room show any change?
It still is an "all battlestations manned!" situation, as it was before.

The command "at quick" may therefore just relate to "get everything ready for a quick departure - call in any EVA teams still combing the Bellarmine - secure all cargo". Like increasing "code red" to "code red with imminent incoming enemy fire".

On the bridge, in the moment of possible impacts/enemy contact, you DO NOT WANT any distractions like a one-time red flash, a change of light colour, an audible alarm. You want to hear the commander tell you what to do, and you want the commander to be able to hear/read all relevant information without getting distracted. From whomever delivers the information (tactical analyst, sensor technician, automatic computer-raised alarm, ...).
No, on the bridge, any information must remain flowing free from any distraction.
And even a one-time light flash is a distraction.
Audible alarms more so, as they even prevent you from giving/listening to information/commands.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

ShadowDragon8685

Is the rank of Torrai Mallas intentionally absent, or is its absence from the table of ranks an oversight? Torrai seems to be the "Command path" Caste, but you can have Soroin Mallas/Torret and Tenoin Mallas, so there's some overlap there.

It seems odd to me that in the "Command Path," the first rank, Torrai Sorimi ("Adjutant,") is listed as equivalent to an 04 Lt. Commander, and it skips straight from there to Torrai Torret ("Captain") equivalent to 06 Captain.

Basically, I was wondering, if Tempo were to be shifted to the Command path, would she be effectively demoted by going from Mizol Parat to Torrai Sorimi (05 Commander to 04 Lt. Commander,) would she be by necessity promoted to Torrai Torret (06 Captain,) or is there a Torrai Mallas (05 Commander) that she could sidegrade to.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Is the rank of Torrai Mallas intentionally absent, or is its absence from the table of ranks an oversight? Torrai seems to be the "Command path" Caste, but you can have Soroin Mallas/Torret and Tenoin Mallas, so there's some overlap there.

It seems odd to me that in the "Command Path," the first rank, Torrai Sorimi ("Adjutant,") is listed as equivalent to an 04 Lt. Commander, and it skips straight from there to Torrai Torret ("Captain") equivalent to 06 Captain.

Basically, I was wondering, if Tempo were to be shifted to the Command path, would she be effectively demoted by going from Mizol Parat to Torrai Sorimi (05 Commander to 04 Lt. Commander,) would she be by necessity promoted to Torrai Torret (06 Captain,) or is there a Torrai Mallas (05 Commander) that she could sidegrade to.
I think that the Torrai Sorimi is the initial Torrai rank for those warriors who don't have true command experience but are slated to ascend for a variety of reasons (political connections, battlefield and other achievements). Them being rendered Adjutants serves both the purpose of ascending to Torrai and putting them in a position where they don't actually command but they are close enough to the decision makers so they can learn from them.

Soroin and Tenoin Mallas/Torret should count as command positions and as such they should go straight to Torrai Torret when they do ascend to the Torrai caste.

EDIT: Like the 3rd Lieutenant or equivalent Rank that several military branches use throughout the world. They are officers and they do have the authority to assume command if no one higher is around but they are trainees and glorified go getters for those above them.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Some time ago Razorthorn's rank was retconned, but I missed a few of the panels she was in. They should all be fixed now (a browser hard-refresh may be necessary to see the updated images).
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Also, the port-side bridge guard is absent from the wide-angle shot on Page 52, but appears in the wide shot on Page 61. Maybe she snuck in while the camera was looking at someone else? :)
Between pages 75 and 76 I increased the output size of the page images from 600 to 800 pixels wide; this meant going back through all 75 previous pages and proportionally reducing the size of the speech bubbles (and rearranging them accordingly). In many cases this exposed flaws or unfinished elements in the areas that had previously been covered up by the larger speech bubbles, which then had to be fixed. The missing second guard on page 52 is one such element that wasn't drawn initially because it was covered up by a speech bubble.

We can imagine that the guards move around periodically, and she happened to not be standing there at that particular moment. :D
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:How are Loroi vessels' crews' called to action?
Some commands have an audio/visual announcement or klaxon, and some are relayed telepathically. Tempest was already at general quarters when Alex & Co. entered the hallways. Forest's verbal call of "At quick for action!" is part ritual and part for the benefit of the audio logs; it's not a command, but an announcement that they are about to engage the enemy.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Is the rank of Torrai Mallas intentionally absent, or is its absence from the table of ranks an oversight? Torrai seems to be the "Command path" Caste, but you can have Soroin Mallas/Torret and Tenoin Mallas, so there's some overlap there.

Basically what dragoongfa said. A field commander (Torret, Rozerrei or equiv.) that is inducted into the Torrai retains the appropriate title. The Sorimi is an alternate path into the Torrai for administrative types; the command structure needs high-ranking functionaries as well as combat commanders. Sorimi are usually daughters of high-ranking two-word name types, and while it's a prestigious (and comparatively safe) position, they are essentially clerks. A Sorimi is not in line to be promoted to a field command, though she may eventually obtain a higher administrative position (not listed).
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Basically, I was wondering, if Tempo were to be shifted to the Command path, would she be effectively demoted by going from Mizol Parat to Torrai Sorimi (05 Commander to 04 Lt. Commander,) would she be by necessity promoted to Torrai Torret (06 Captain,) or is there a Torrai Mallas (05 Commander) that she could sidegrade to.
A Mizol with Torrai ambitions would usually go in earlier as a Sanzet to a Sorimi, or later as a Torimor to an equivalent O6 administrative rank (not listed).

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:Some time ago Razorthorn's rank was retconned, but I missed a few of the panels she was in. They should all be fixed now (a browser hard-refresh may be necessary to see the updated images).
You missed her left shoulder in panel 1 Page 60. Also, she and her chair both appear to have vanished entirely in panel 2 of that page. She also appears to have vanished from her seat in Page 64. I think there's a speck of her left shoulder glowie visible as white in Page 70 though that could be the console, and she and her chair appear to be missing in panel 2 of Page 76.

Sorry. I hope I'm not being annoying.

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Also, the port-side bridge guard is absent from the wide-angle shot on Page 52, but appears in the wide shot on Page 61. Maybe she snuck in while the camera was looking at someone else? :)
Between pages 75 and 76 I increased the output size of the page images from 600 to 800 pixels wide; this meant going back through all 75 previous pages and proportionally reducing the size of the speech bubbles (and rearranging them accordingly). In many cases this exposed flaws or unfinished elements in the areas that had previously been covered up by the larger speech bubbles, which then had to be fixed. The missing second guard on page 52 is one such element that wasn't drawn initially because it was covered up by a speech bubble.

We can imagine that the guards move around periodically, and she happened to not be standing there at that particular moment. :D
For some reason, I imagine she snuck off to the break room for a cuppa tea because the comic was focusing on the MCs in the corridor, but there was a queue and while she was away, the Plot reached the bridge; stranding her and requiring her to sneak back in like Solid Snake, ducking in behind Stillstorm before the doors could even close.

Bridge Guard #2 confirmed for stealth expert? :lol:
Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:How are Loroi vessels' crews' called to action?
Some commands have an audio/visual announcement or klaxon, and some are relayed telepathically. Tempest was already at general quarters when Alex & Co. entered the hallways. Forest's verbal call of "At quick for action!" is part ritual and part for the benefit of the audio logs; it's not a command, but an announcement that they are about to engage the enemy.
Ahhhh. I got you. So, Loroi ships don't tend to have something like a 'Red Alert' trim that lights up or anything? Fair enough, a call to general quarters is the kind of thing you don't tend to miss unless you're in a coma.
Arioch wrote:

Basically what dragoongfa said. A field commander (Torret, Rozerrei or equiv.) that is inducted into the Torrai retains the appropriate title. The Sorimi is an alternate path into the Torrai for administrative types; the command structure needs high-ranking functionaries as well as combat commanders. Sorimi are usually daughters of high-ranking two-word name types, and while it's a prestigious (and comparatively safe) position, they are essentially clerks. A Sorimi is not in line to be promoted to a field command, though she may eventually obtain a higher administrative position (not listed).
Huh. I figured that a shipboard Sorimi would be kind of a command-staff gofer, placed near to the command staff to learn from experience and proximity, given relatively few responsibilities, but potentially on the fast track to Torrai Torret.

Would a Tenoin Mallas who jumps to Torrai be a Torrai Mallas, then? Or would they be promoted to Torrai Torret in the process?

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Basically, I was wondering, if Tempo were to be shifted to the Command path, would she be effectively demoted by going from Mizol Parat to Torrai Sorimi (05 Commander to 04 Lt. Commander,) would she be by necessity promoted to Torrai Torret (06 Captain,) or is there a Torrai Mallas (05 Commander) that she could sidegrade to.
A Mizol with Torrai ambitions would usually go in earlier as a Sanzet to a Sorimi, or later as a Torimor to an equivalent O6 administrative rank (not listed).
Hrm.... Okay. But a Mizol wouldn't be moving to a combat command post, unless she makes it all the way to Azerein like Greywind did?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I think that's her face.
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:You missed her left shoulder in panel 1 Page 60.
Okay, thanks. There's no need to report "missing" characters in panels; I know they're not there. (Assume they're together with Guard #2 on a noillir break.)
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I figured that a shipboard Sorimi would be kind of a command-staff gofer, placed near to the command staff to learn from experience and proximity, given relatively few responsibilities, but potentially on the fast track to Torrai Torret.

Would a Tenoin Mallas who jumps to Torrai be a Torrai Mallas, then? Or would they be promoted to Torrai Torret in the process?
An officer who wants to an admiral who commands forces in the field needs to get combat experience in Soroin O4-O5 positions. A Mallas must normally be promoted to Torret before she can be considered for Torrai induction. Sorimi is a position for a Loroi who has no intention of becoming a field commander.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:But a Mizol wouldn't be moving to a combat command post, unless she makes it all the way to Azerein like Greywind did?
That's correct. (And this is one of the reasons why Greywind's selection as Azerein was controversial.)

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:Okay, thanks. There's no need to report "missing" characters in panels; I know they're not there. (Assume they're together with Guard #2 on a noillir break.)
Hahah. Okay. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a pest - it was just that once the eye was drawn to one oddity, the others became that which could not be unseen. I'll can it.
Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I figured that a shipboard Sorimi would be kind of a command-staff gofer, placed near to the command staff to learn from experience and proximity, given relatively few responsibilities, but potentially on the fast track to Torrai Torret.

An officer who wants to an admiral who commands forces in the field needs to get combat experience in Soroin O4-O5 positions. A Mallas must normally be promoted to Torret before she can be considered for Torrai induction. Sorimi is a position for a Loroi who has no intention of becoming a field commander.
Okay, but...
I think I may be confused, then. Is Tenoin Torret O6 missing from the list, then? Or would a Tenoin Mallas O5 need to become a Soroin Torret O6 before she can become a Torrai Torret?

Can you jump Castes sideways; say, a nerdy Soroin shifting to Gallen, or a particularly bloodthirsty Mizol or Listel jumping to a Soroin/Tenoin combat post, even maybe taking an overall demotion in the process, in the hopes of advancing to a combat command Torrai position?

Ex. if Tempo felt a burning need to personally be giving the orders to crush shells, could she ask to be made a Soroin, even at a much lower rank equivalent, in the hopes of securing advancement through the combat ranks?
Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:But a Mizol wouldn't be moving to a combat command post, unless she makes it all the way to Azerein like Greywind did?
That's correct. (And this is one of the reasons why Greywind's selection as Azerein was controversial.)
Ahhhh. That makes... Lots of sense, actually.
Man, this really is Byzantine. Loroi org charts must be things of legend; like the Tarrasque.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Or would a Tenoin Mallas O5 need to become a Soroin Torret O6 before she can become a Torrai Torret?
That's correct, but it's unusual. A Tenoin who rose higher than Mallas would normally be taken off the line and placed in a training or administrative position.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Can you jump Castes sideways; say, a nerdy Soroin shifting to Gallen, or a particularly bloodthirsty Mizol or Listel jumping to a Soroin/Tenoin combat post, even maybe taking an overall demotion in the process, in the hopes of advancing to a combat command Torrai position?
It's possible, but it usually requires special circumstances. Example: Ashrain started as a Teidar, but switched to Soroin after she displayed the appropriate proficiencies (and her great-aunt became Emperor).

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Out of curiosity, is it more likely for a Mizol to become a Teidar (and vis-versa) than a Soroin or Tenoin, since Tediar are also outside of the normal promotion track?