Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Carl Miller wrote:Obviously, you should load the shelves with heavy books before letting a mizol in.
Before letting Tempo in at least. Just look at those eyes of hers, so red, so sultry, so mischievous. She's the kind of person who clearly takes delight in being your own personal poltergeist.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

...all that raven black cascading hair, those bedroom eyes of crimson, and that voice to make the heart skip-beat! Yeah, Tempo's the kind of Beautiful that does brain damage to mortal men, doubt I'd even notice books flying about the room if she turned those eyes on me and smiled!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

ShadowDragon8685

sunphoenix wrote:...all that raven black cascading hair, those bedroom eyes of crimson, and that voice to make the heart skip-beat! Yeah, Tempo's the kind of Beautiful that does brain damage to mortal men, doubt I'd even notice books flying about the room if she turned those eyes on me and smiled!
Um... Tempo's like, kind of a dark brunette, isn't she?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Doesn't make her any less hot. :9
Don't delay, join today!

ShadowDragon8685

Carl Miller wrote:Doesn't make her any less hot. :9
No, but I'm just saying, I don't think she's a raven.

Actually, do Loroi with black hair even exist? The closest I recall seeing was an earlier concept art of Stillstorm.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Nedeil Tizel might be, depending on the lighting, but even if she isn't I see no reason why raven loroi can't be.
Don't delay, join today!

ShadowDragon8685

Carl Miller wrote:Nedeil Tizel might be, depending on the lighting, but even if she isn't I see no reason why raven loroi can't be.
Cobalt? I'd say probably a very dark blue color, but it's a little hard to be certain, I'll grant.

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Loroi traditional swordmaking.

You said that traditional swordmaking would be steel, and presumably not unrecognizable in form to human traditional swordmaking.

Did the Loroi (of Deinar specifically, if you have written it in such detail,) have any kind of "legendary" blades the way we had (the original) Damascus Steel blades, or legendary swordsmiths such as Gorō Nyūdō Masamune?

[e]Also, completely randomly, just how tough are Loroi ordinary interior bulkheads versus a Loroi utility blade's point? Could a really determined thrust embed one in the wall, or not in a month of sundays?

[e2]Also, also randomly: what kind of effect would a Wave-Loom Device fired at full charge against an atmosphere-bearing planet within 100 Megameters (not milimeters; I imagine that would be highly unsafe,) have? That seems like it would have enough power to significantly heat the atmosphere of said planet.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Did the Loroi (of Deinar specifically, if you have written it in such detail,) have any kind of "legendary" blades the way we had (the original) Damascus Steel blades, or legendary swordsmiths such as Gorō Nyūdō Masamune?
Probably.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Also, completely randomly, just how tough are Loroi ordinary interior bulkheads versus a Loroi utility blade's point? Could a really determined thrust embed one in the wall, or not in a month of sundays?
Ship interiors are made out of a lot of different materials, so it would depend. High-tech knives are probably very tough, and so can probably scratch most structural materials unless they are also specifically hardened (like, say in an armored access point or a detention area).
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Also, also randomly: what kind of effect would a Wave-Loom Device fired at full charge against an atmosphere-bearing planet within 100 Megameters (not milimeters; I imagine that would be highly unsafe,) have? That seems like it would have enough power to significantly heat the atmosphere of said planet.
Well, the Wave-Loom is powered by accumulating the output of the engines over as long as 8 minutes; that's a lot of energy, roughly equivalent to a 6 megatonne nuclear blast. But of greater concern would be the quantum loom effect that causes the disruption of matter in an area around the target.

It would cause a significant amount of damage.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Did the Loroi (of Deinar specifically, if you have written it in such detail,) have any kind of "legendary" blades the way we had (the original) Damascus Steel blades, or legendary swordsmiths such as Gorō Nyūdō Masamune?
Probably.
Nice. :lol:
Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Also, completely randomly, just how tough are Loroi ordinary interior bulkheads versus a Loroi utility blade's point? Could a really determined thrust embed one in the wall, or not in a month of sundays?
Ship interiors are made out of a lot of different materials, so it would depend. High-tech knives are probably very tough, and so can probably scratch most structural materials unless they are also specifically hardened (like, say in an armored access point or a detention area).
Well, if it can scratch it, then with sufficient force, it can be embedded... In theory, at least! Thanks.
Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Also, also randomly: what kind of effect would a Wave-Loom Device fired at full charge against an atmosphere-bearing planet within 100 Megameters (not milimeters; I imagine that would be highly unsafe,) have? That seems like it would have enough power to significantly heat the atmosphere of said planet.
Well, the Wave-Loom is powered by accumulating the output of the engines over as long as 8 minutes; that's a lot of energy, roughly equivalent to a 6 megatonne nuclear blast. But of greater concern would be the quantum loom effect that causes the disruption of matter in an area around the target.

It would cause a significant amount of damage.
I was figuring that energy deposit alone would be pretty heavy, but I was wondering what kind of fuzz-factor the quantum loom would cause.

Either way, it's definitely a WMD, and if you have time and fuel but not much in the way of projectiles, or just have a bunch of WLDs, it's a viable option for glassing a planet?

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: I was figuring that energy deposit alone would be pretty heavy, but I was wondering what kind of fuzz-factor the quantum loom would cause.

Either way, it's definitely a WMD, and if you have time and fuel but not much in the way of projectiles, or just have a bunch of WLDs, it's a viable option for glassing a planet?
It is much more practical, than just drop to the planet a couple of tons of antimatter - will do the rest banal physics. WLD is more of an cannon, ie, assumes "point"-effect on relatively small target (even if the "point" in absolute scale measured in kilometers), but for effective bombardment of something of a planet size for cannon needed or a high rate of fire (which is not), or a huge area of direct damage (which also no).

ShadowDragon8685

Do the Loroi have/have developed bicycles/motorbikes/jetbikes? They never had riding beasts the way we had horses (at least, no Loroi on any of the planets we're familiar with have had,) so the riding posture wouldn't have been ingrained into them. Would they still have developed two-wheeled transportation, or did they go straight to the motor car?

Actually, without riding animals, they probably wouldn't have had beasts of burden, either. At least, nothing bigger than a sled dog or something, not great for farming. Would they have had pulled carriages during their early technological equivalents, or would they have been hampered by everything basically being moved by Loroi?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Hopefully jetbikes. :3
Don't delay, join today!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Thanks, ShadowDragon. Now I have this picture in my mind: the Terminator movie with Fireblade instead of Mr Schwarzenegger. 8-)
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

ShadowDragon8685

Carl Miller wrote:Hopefully jetbikes. :3
I'd presume that jetbikes were invented after motorbikes, which were invented after bicycles, which were invented after velocipedes.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Do the Loroi have/have developed bicycles/motorbikes/jetbikes? They never had riding beasts the way we had horses (at least, no Loroi on any of the planets we're familiar with have had,) so the riding posture wouldn't have been ingrained into them. Would they still have developed two-wheeled transportation, or did they go straight to the motor car?

Actually, without riding animals, they probably wouldn't have had beasts of burden, either. At least, nothing bigger than a sled dog or something, not great for farming. Would they have had pulled carriages during their early technological equivalents, or would they have been hampered by everything basically being moved by Loroi?
Teidar powered carriages? :mrgreen: Got to use that telekinesis for something useful...

Joke aside, a lot stuff can be done differently if you have access to people that can essentially use magic. Remember that these powers do not use a finite mana supply like in some roleplaying games, they essentially just open a valve and keep it open as long as they concentrate on it.

The "Cydonia Rising" forum rpg includes an adapted railgun that got it's feed through electrokinesis. You have even let Jarding meet the very teidar that use this weapon!

ShadowDragon8685

Sweforce wrote:Teidar powered carriages? :mrgreen: Got to use that telekinesis for something useful...

Joke aside, a lot stuff can be done differently if you have access to people that can essentially use magic. Remember that these powers do not use a finite mana supply like in some roleplaying games, they essentially just open a valve and keep it open as long as they concentrate on it.

The "Cydonia Rising" forum rpg includes an adapted railgun that got it's feed through electrokinesis. You have even let Jardin meet the very teidar that use this weapon!
Yes, but I'm ignoring that bit, because electrokinesis is a GURPSism that has no place in the psychokinetic powers of the Loroi according to Arioch. Anyway, I would expect that Unsheathed, even before the rediscovery of psionic amplifiers, were far too rare to expend on such a trivial task, especially as they would certainly be Warriors in and of themselves, and object (violently) to any such demand on their time and service.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Do the Loroi have/have developed bicycles/motorbikes/jetbikes?
Someone must have invented one at some point, but I don't imagine them being very popular.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Actually, without riding animals, they probably wouldn't have had beasts of burden, either. At least, nothing bigger than a sled dog or something, not great for farming. Would they have had pulled carriages during their early technological equivalents, or would they have been hampered by everything basically being moved by Loroi?
Lack of suitable riding/burden animals had a significant impact on early Loroi development; everything had to be powered by Loroi "manpower" and the only travel was on foot or by boat. Loroi had to use manual farming techniques; fortunately, the Soia-Liron crops require a lot less labor than most Earth crops.

And no, telekinetic Loroi were not a suitable artificial power source. They were the most powerful warriors in a warrior society that despised civilian work; knights and lords are not available for hire as porters by the commoners.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:Someone must have invented one at some point, but I don't imagine them being very popular.
There's always gonna be some adrenaline junkie who loves the damn things though, right? Just like there's always gonna be some adventurer who just has to climb every mountain and ford every river.

Can the Unsheathed use their telekinesis for personal mobility? Because now I'm imagining the kind of absolutely insane stunts that a freerunning telekinetic with enough power to significantly alter their trajectory/add momentum to a leap could do. Double-jumping could be possible in theory, if they could create a solid "plate" of force to leap off of.
Arioch wrote:Lack of suitable riding/burden animals had a significant impact on early Loroi development; everything had to be powered by Loroi "manpower" and the only travel was on foot or by boat. Loroi had to use manual farming techniques; fortunately, the Soia-Liron crops require a lot less labor than most Earth crops.
Seems like the Loroi got to miss out on an awful lot of concepts because of the lack of animals suitable for domestication. I guess that's the downside to populating a young planet with genetically engineered superorganisms; they massively outcompete the native life and prevent most opportunities for evolutionary iteration.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Can the Unsheathed use their telekinesis for personal mobility? Because now I'm imagining the kind of absolutely insane stunts that a freerunning telekinetic with enough power to significantly alter their trajectory/add momentum to a leap could do. Double-jumping could be possible in theory, if they could create a solid "plate" of force to leap off of.
A psychokinetic Loroi with sufficient power can perform Jedi-like physical stunts, but this doesn't really add to long-distance travel speed. A PK with enough power to lift her own body can levitate for short distances, but telekinesis requires concentration; this is effectively "free" in a tactical situation, but maintaining concentration for long periods of time would be mentally fatiguing.