Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Tamri

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Tamri »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Do the Loroi have dairy critters, make cheeses/milks/yogurts/etc?

Also, sandwich technology, do the blue spess elves have it, or is this something else humans can tech trade? [/tongueInCheek]
Cheese, yogurt and all other dairy products made from milk, oddly enough. Here I do not remember whether Deinar Miros give milk, but meat is accurately. It seems not.

The idea of a sandwich is clearly not require a doctorate, so as Loroi obviously have all the components such as: bread (or its analogues), meat (optional), some edible plants - I would say that for ~ 4000 years at least to someone it had to come up with the idea to eat it all together, rather than individually. Even for such "creative" guys like Loroi is too long to be :D

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Some Soia-liron livestock do give milk, but the Loroi haven't utilized them in the same way that humans have.

Can't say much more than this at present. ;)

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Arioch wrote:Some Soia-liron livestock do give milk, but the Loroi haven't utilized them in the same way that humans have.

No milk or cheese? No yogurt, Greek or otherwise? No ice cream?!

I feel sorry for them; on the other hand, that's something else to augment the kitten-based bargaining position.

What about sandwiches? Surely they've invented sliced bread. Or pitas, tortillas, or sommat along those lines, right?

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: No milk or cheese? No yogurt, Greek or otherwise? No ice cream?!

I feel sorry for them; on the other hand, that's something else to augment the kitten-based bargaining position.

Well, ice cream, in principle, can be done not only milk, but a whole class of products from milk for Loroi obviously unknown. On the other hand, I think that idea an eating frozen cocktail of various ingredients will seem at least a little strange for Loroi ;) Perhaps, many of them...

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

No ice cream? :shock: We must equip ships for long range travel to deliver this war critical material to the heroines on the front lines! :P

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Arioch wrote:Some Soia-liron livestock do give milk, but the Loroi haven't utilized them in the same way that humans have.

Well, SOMETHING'S gotta provide milk for the kids once their warrior moms give birth and head straight(ish) back to the front lines, right? No?

CJSF

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

cacambo43 wrote:

Well, SOMETHING'S gotta provide milk for the kids once their warrior moms give birth and head straight(ish) back to the front lines, right? No?

CJSF
Maybe there is a civilian caste for that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_7pdF2zU4 :mrgreen:

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

"So, are you telling me that world is filled with eager almost-loroi males, and that (lick lips) ice cream and chocolate food?"

I can imagine Earth, in time, will become a very popular tourist destination for Loroi :lol:

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

raistlin34 wrote:"So, are you telling me that world is filled with eager almost-loroi males, and that (lick lips) ice cream and chocolate food?"

I can imagine Earth, in time, will become a very popular tourist destination for Loroi :lol:
One thing that people here haven't mentioned yet is the full meaning of Alexander Jardin.

The full meaning of Alexander is 'Guardian of Men' so Alexander Jardin doesn't just mean Guardian of the Garden but 'Guardian of the Male Garden'.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

How will the "Stylet" in the Trade?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:How will the "Stylet" in the Trade?
I don't understand.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Arioch wrote:I don't understand.
Weapons name, "Stiletto", how will sound like on the Trade language?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Quick question; do Loroi suffer from any evolutionary garbage health problems like we humans do?

Wisdom teeth, pilodinal cysts, these kind of things.

thicket

Post by thicket »

Tamri wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote: No milk or cheese? No yogurt, Greek or otherwise? No ice cream?!

Well, ice cream, in principle, can be done not only milk, but a whole class of products from milk for Loroi obviously unknown. On the other hand, I think that idea an eating frozen cocktail of various ingredients will seem at least a little strange for Loroi ;) Perhaps, many of them...
they are probably all lactose intolerant

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:Weapons name, "Stiletto", how will sound like on the Trade language?
lago
dragoongfa wrote:Quick question; do Loroi suffer from any evolutionary garbage health problems like we humans do?
Loroi have fewer such problems than humans do.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I guess Soian lifeforms, having been artificially engineered, carry far less garbage in their genetic code.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

raistlin34 wrote:I guess Soian lifeforms, having been artificially engineered, carry far less garbage in their genetic code.
I would say that it depends, the Early Loroi were most certainly prototypes since they don't have the trademarked 8 fingers in total that the other Soia Liron species have, as a prototype they were bound to have leftover glitches that would be ironed out later.

Fully streamlined products however should have almost no such problems.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:Quick question; do Loroi suffer from any evolutionary garbage health problems like we humans do?
Loroi have fewer such problems than humans do.
Are any of these problems similar by any chance?

I would find it somewhat funny if a Loroi and a Human both suffered from a bad case of wisdom teeth and went to the doctor at the same time.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Wisdom teeth, pilodinal cysts, these kind of things.
Assuming, if Loroi created artificially on the basis of the other species (humans, lol), on the one hand, were to inherit some signs of the species-prototype, as: anthropometry, the structural features of certain organs and body parts (structure of eyes, skeleton, in general terms, the structure may also CNS), on the other hand - since they are substantially in terms of genetics "younger", they must carry their genetic minimum number of mutations, that genetic garbage. But this applies to Loroi in the first centuries of their existence. At the moment, it's been about 300k years since. In evolutionary terms it is small, but it is enough time for the formation of some of the changes, even in a stable environment. It is quite enough to scrape up a particular genetic baggage, in addition to the original genome.

Of course, all of the above makes sense, if not the creators gave Loroi a highly effective mechanism for "repair" and the correction of the genome, which will minimize the random mutations.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:

No milk or cheese? No yogurt, Greek or otherwise? No ice cream?!
Ice cream doesn't have to be milk-based: it can in fact be ice-based (e.g. Sorbet), or based on something thicker like custard or mousse, or be based on a oil-water mixture like mellorine is. The only real restriction is that to truely be an ice-cream analogue it needs to be sweet, and formed by stirring a liquid while freezing it.

Probably the Loroi had a snow-based version (I believe that both the Romans and the Aztecs had such) flavored with fruit or other juices (such as an edible & sweet tree sap).