Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

MBehave

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by MBehave »

Monologue? You say something is wrong and provide no proof when the preponderance of evidence proves the reverse, I also provided direct verifiable comments to counter statements made by you.

Self evident fact(or assumed fact) is something that is proven by repeated experiments and in science is considered true unless evidence is provided that suggests otherwise.

If you want to prove me wrong great...
Show me technology that can discriminate between a few stray photons, lets go crazy here and say 100 a second(vastly overestimated) compared to the background noise of a million(lets go crazy and vastly UNDERESTIMATE) of photons in the same frequency reaching the detector from other sources(the sun) at Jupiters average orbit.
Their are more random photons hitting hydrogen atoms in space and reflecting off them towards the detector from the suns emittance then from comm lasers. More light reflecting off ships from the sun then from the lasers too...

When a signal drops below the noise ratio(SNR) detecting a signal becomes near impossible(but never zero)
You want to claim its otherwise provide no proof and then suggest I don't want a discussion because I call you on your lack of evidence?

Further its one thing to claim something for your game world, its another to claim it as fact in the physical world, Arioch has stated outright that MINES CANT WORK IN SPACE...

He provided no proof or evidence to back this up, its a statement with only speculation to support it which is proven false, even through I messed up my calculation it didn't change the result. As a matter of fact thanks to the correction from a second forum member 3rd source of evidence that the claimed reason for mines not being able to work by Arioch is false.

The fact that calling into account something Arioch said as being wrong is causing some people such problems on this forum is both amusing and blowing my mind.
icekatze wrote:hi hi
MBehave wrote:The difficulty at detecting the extremely low levels of backscatter in space is common knowledge and is SELF EVIDENT FACT, that does not require me to provide any sources.
Ahh, I see. I had mistaken this for a discussion.

Have fun with your monologue, but I don't think you're going to get much traction with anyone.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Sigh...

Mines cannot work in space because you cannot have enough of them nor you are able to hide them in sufficient numbers to fill their purpose which is area denial. Space is big, a single light second is 300.000 km's and it is the base measurement of distance in every sci-fi setting; more so in a setting where ships are supposed to traverse a star system in a matter of days.

You would need literally millions if not billions of mines to cover the comparatively miniscule area of one cubic light second and we are not talking small nuclera mines with the equivalent yield of a few kilotons that would feel like a fart in the void. To destroy a warship you would need mines big enough to damage and cripple said warship not just on impact but on close proximity. It would thus need a large enough warhead, a sensor suite and a thruster suite to maintain position for an extended amount of time that could extend for months if not years.

Now take the above 'mine', stealth it up and the millions if not billions of them necessary to deny access to a single cubic light second; then multiply the cubic light seconds you have to cover to make an effective area denial minefield. When you realize the industrial capacity and investment of resources you would need to do all this ask yourself why you shouldn't invest all that to a new fleet and bring the fight to the enemy instead of wasting the resources on a single minefield that can be easily bypassed once detected.
Last edited by dragoongfa on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Let's drop it. Nothing constructive will come from this "discussion."

Siber

Post by Siber »

@MBehave: I'm reasonably sure the problem people are having is not so much with the fact that you are disagreeing with Arioch, but the manner in which that disagreement was conducted. In deference to Arioch's request I'll leave it at that.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

novius

Post by novius »

Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:How certain are the Soia Liron species that the Soia had telepathy themselfes? I believe you said something about amplifiers and similar equipment being found, but could those have been meant for early Loroi?
According to the Loroi, the Soia and the early Loroi were one and the same, but they have no proof of this.
And, it could just mean that the amplifiers are working on a fundamental principle of telepathy/telekinetics all species with psionic powers share, regardless of their brain structure. Yet, the Loroi believe they're descendants of the Soia. That would only happen if the amps they found in the ruins were of similar design compared to what they have in current use - it's hard to claim kinship to an extinct species if their heads would have been shaped completely dissimilar, I think.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

What's the Loroi protocol for systems in their territory with a destroyed or disabled station?

Will Alex and company be able to count on messenger ships being left in the system once it's retaken by the Loroi, or will they have to power back up the shuttle in time to send a distress signal while the cavalry are still clearing out the Umiak currently there -- lest they risk losing a few days adrift in an emptied system?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CF2 wrote:What's the Loroi protocol for systems in their territory with a destroyed or disabled station?

Will Alex and company be able to count on messenger ships being left in the system once it's retaken by the Loroi, or will they have to power back up the shuttle in time to send a distress signal while the cavalry are still clearing out the Umiak currently there -- lest they risk losing a few days adrift in an emptied system?
It depends on the location. Leido is an important crossroads, and the Azimol base is right in the next system, so there is likely to be traffic in the system whether or not there is infrastructure there (assuming the system is not being contested by the enemy).

Werra

Post by Werra »

If the Loroi have materials that amplify their abilities, do they also possess or know of materials that inhibit them?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Werra wrote:If the Loroi have materials that amplify their abilities, do they also possess or know of materials that inhibit them?
They sure do, they call it Alex Jardin. :P

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

How ship cost scale in outsideer universe?

Will it be cheaper to create large battleships incstead of vast amount of small ships? (Somthing like this thing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bellator ... readnought )
You need one navigation computer instad of many, one hyperdrive (Bigger hyperdrive-> more easy to produce, like with modern ship engines?), less crew and so on, steel and other materials for big hull cost nothing.
You can install strong shields to repel enemy fire so ship can escape if overhelmed, when large fleet of small ships allways lose some of them and need to replace.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

GeoModder wrote:The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.
Well, their main purpose is catch smugglers and other criminals after all?
I am not sure if they even used their weapons once.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Zorg56 wrote:
GeoModder wrote:The TCA certainly thinks it is more cost-effective to operate a good number of smaller ships over a few large(r) cruisers/battlecruisers. Definitely in a time of peace.
Ask Arioch? ;)
In any case, a large number of hulls is always handy to show the flag in as many locations as possible. It's a doctrine both the Loroi and Umiak follow.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Zorg56 wrote:How ship cost scale in outsideer universe?

Will it be cheaper to create large battleships incstead of vast amount of small ships? (Somthing like this thing: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bellator ... readnought )
You need one navigation computer instad of many, one hyperdrive (Bigger hyperdrive-> more easy to produce, like with modern ship engines?), less crew and so on, steel and other materials for big hull cost nothing.
You can install strong shields to repel enemy fire so ship can escape if overhelmed, when large fleet of small ships allways lose some of them and need to replace.
In real-world navies, cost per ton of ships tends to increase as the ships get larger, rather than the reverse. This is for a number of different reasons: larger ships require more robust structural design; larger ships tend to require a wider range of capabilities and systems, and usually mount larger and more expensive weapons; larger ships require more and larger construction infrastructure to build, and usually take longer to build than two smaller ships of a similar total tonnage that could be assembled simultaneously in two smaller shipyards. I think these same factors will apply to ships in Outsider; a large battleship will cost more than the equal tonnage of light cruisers, for example.

Larger ships have greater firepower per ton and greater protection per ton, but are less maneuverable (a larger ship has a larger moment of inertia and so takes longer to rotate even when it has the same thrust relative to its mass), can be in fewer places at once, and suffer from the Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy (in shooting warfare, a unit with twice the firepower of another does not have twice the combat value, because it usually can't engage twice as many targets simultaneously, and it usually doesn't take twice the number of hits to kill). Even if larger ships were cheaper per ton, you'd still want a mixture of sizes and types, because battleships are not best in every role (anti-missile, anti-gunboat, patrol, etc.), and a small number of large battleships cannot be in the same number of different places that a larger number of smaller vessels can be. A fleet consisting only of battleships would not be a very effective fleet (though I wouldn't want to be the first one that it got mad at).
Zorg56 wrote:
Well, their main purpose is catch smugglers and other criminals after all?
The TCA has never fought in a genuine war, and their primary role is patrol, so they definitely need a larger number of smaller vessels. The heavy cruisers were built primarily as deterrence, and are rarely even operated.

I'm sure that at least one TCA warship must at some point have fired its weapons in anger.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Short question about the Dinnan sector.

It does not yet has enough population and/or inhabited planets to warrant its own defensive sector fleet?
I'm asking because the Insider page on Loroi warships mentions only 6 fleets plus the Tellai reserve.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Short question about the Dinnan sector.
It does not yet has enough population and/or inhabited planets to warrant its own defensive sector fleet?
Yes, that and it has no contact yet with any foreign territory. There will be a few patrol & support vessels drawn from the Minzan and Maoren pools, but as yet it does not have a need for a formal defensive fleet.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Zorg56 wrote:Will we get more information about medival loroi in the future?
'No, knave.'

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

What sort of information are you looking for?

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Arioch wrote:
What sort of information are you looking for?
Just more detailed history and social information.
Wonder how strong psionics affected society, and warfare.
In medival period one psionic can kill thousands if i understood insider correctly.