Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Arioch wrote:Implanting a foreign object in your arm wouldn't interfere with telepathic touch contact, but I don't see a compelling reason why anyone would want to do something like that.
Because transhumanism. Or transoriginism, if you're referring to members of non-human races.

Arioch wrote:
What's noillir?
It's a mushroom tea.
Mushroom tea? Huh. I wonder what that must be like...

Is that the only kind of tea Loroi make? No like, berry or herb teas or anything? No weird-medicine infusion teas from Perrin, or nettle teas from highland Deinar areas, or anything?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Given that the Loroi are already an engineered race, and they see themselves as the rightful heirs of the Soia empire, I get the feeling that they already have a general cultural sense of superiority.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Plus Telepathy and Telekinesis.

In the minds of their most chauvinist members they are as close to perfection as is to be expected without being divinity.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Mushroom tea? Huh. I wonder what that must be like...

Is that the only kind of tea Loroi make? No like, berry or herb teas or anything? No weird-medicine infusion teas from Perrin, or nettle teas from highland Deinar areas, or anything?
They make a variety of beverages, but noillir is the Loroi equivalent of coffee; it's a strong stimulant.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Can the "Highland" to docking in space with some the other shuttle having airlock? At least through the approach closer and the banal jumping from airlock to airlock.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:Can the "Highland" to docking in space with some the other shuttle having airlock? At least through the approach closer and the banal jumping from airlock to airlock.
Yes, but the other craft would have to have some kind of docking adapter. Highland isn't really designed for this kind of work.

ShadowDragon8685

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Given that the Loroi are already an engineered race, and they see themselves as the rightful heirs of the Soia empire, I get the feeling that they already have a general cultural sense of superiority.
dragoongfa wrote:Plus Telepathy and Telekinesis.

In the minds of their most chauvinist members they are as close to perfection as is to be expected without being divinity.
Telepathy and telekinesis are nice; real nice, I'll grant you.
So are wired reflexes, sword arms, subdermal armor, headware computers with augmented reality and your own personal assistant, etc.
Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Mushroom tea? Huh. I wonder what that must be like...

They make a variety of beverages, but noillir is the Loroi equivalent of coffee; it's a strong stimulant.
It also seems to be at least as addictive as coffee;, we know, at least, that Door Guard #2 and Razorthorn need their hit badly enough to slip off in the middle of a combat alert and risk Stillstorm's wrath to satisfy that craving. (Also, Razorthorn apparently just drinks hers like a shot of whiskey and sprints back to the bridge. :) )

Would Loroi like coffee, I wonder? Would it have the same effect? Would they find the array of varieties and ways of serving it to be bewildering?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I've been a cyborg before. It's not all it's cracked up to be. The extra maintenance requirements alone are bad enough, but not being able to walk through an airport metal detector without setting it off is just one of the many little things that make being a cyborg a pain. There's also a bunch of unconscious stuff that people tend to take for granted, right up until they don't have it anymore, like unmyelinated tactile-C nerve fibers. I always tell my Shadowrun buddies that it's probably what essence loss feels like. :P

The other trick is that it is really hard to add functionality once the most intense phase of brain plasticity is over, in the first year or so. Maybe we'll find a way to re-trigger that, but I suspect any such process will involve also radically altering the patient's personality too.

But I digress, if we ever do get some good brain copying technology, I suspect most people will either go all the way, or use removable peripherals. Loroi seem more like the removable peripherals type, and the Umiak seem more like the all the way type.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

icekatze wrote:The other trick is that it is really hard to add functionality once the most intense phase of brain plasticity is over, in the first year or so. Maybe we'll find a way to re-trigger that, but I suspect any such process will involve also radically altering the patient's personality too.
I came to think of general Grevioues in the Star Wars. He can split up his arms from two to four but are a lot less articulated on the extra pair and thus generally just set his lightsaber equipped hands spinning. This is very obvious in the animated Clone Wars series where there is frequent encounters with him.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Is there security systems on Tempest, such as cameras, microphones, it is possible - automatic turrets? Or Loroi didn't think they needed on board?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:Is there security systems on Tempest, such as cameras, microphones, it is possible - automatic turrets? Or Loroi didn't think they needed on board?
Audio and video recording devices are so small and inexpensive that they're built into nearly every device, and so nearly every part of the ship will have some kind of surveillance. There is not much need for automated guns, but some points in the interior (such as the exit from the detention area) do have "kill zones"; airlock sections that can be sealed off, vented or flooded with gas, or subjected to a variety of lethal forms of radiation.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Will we ever learn more about the order into which male kinetics are recruited?
Don't delay, join today!

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

icekatze wrote:I always tell my Shadowrun buddies that it's probably what essence loss feels like. :P
How close were you to being a cyberzombie?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Will we ever learn more about the order into which male kinetics are recruited?
Probably not any time soon.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch, do Tabeni Loroi have any tradition of sea shanties?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Arioch, do Tabeni Loroi have any tradition of sea shanties?
No, they don't sing.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Arioch, do Tabeni Loroi have any tradition of sea shanties?
No, they don't sing.
Loroi in general, Tabeni in general, or Loroi mariners? Because I thought singing was one of the forms of Loroi artistic expression?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
No, they don't sing.
I understand if they do not sing orally but not even in sanzai? At least they have story tellers that let them relive old memories but a communal version? Nope? What do they do for fun then? Have they even invented fun as a concept?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
No, they don't sing.
Loroi in general, Tabeni in general, or Loroi mariners? Because I thought singing was one of the forms of Loroi artistic expression?
You're thinking of the Barsam Troubador-Clerics, not the Loroi. The closest that the Loroi might come is some sort of factual trash-talk as an opening salvo of a battle.

Loroi do music, and tele-plays, but singing is not one of their things.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
No, they don't sing.
Not sure where you would get that impression. The Loroi are not a vocal culture; they don't have any native tradition of song. Speech is formal to the Loroi, and not generally though of as artistic (quite the opposite). The Barsam and other alien cultures have exposed the Loroi to song, and some Loroi may enjoy it for musical value, and some few may even learn to sing, but this is considered in Loroi society to be a foreign affectation.
Sweforce wrote:I understand if they do not sing orally but not even in sanzai? At least they have story tellers that let them relive old memories but a communal version? Nope? What do they do for fun then? Have they even invented fun as a concept?
Telepathy has nothing at all to do with using your voice as music. You can use telepathy to tell stories or have communal discussions or a wide variety of different things, but this is not "singing."