Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

wasp609

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by wasp609 »

ok so they don't do tattoos, long hair means a higher status in loroi society, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say jewelry is a sign of either wealth like ours or it is used to for higher status. also do they use ceremonial swords like out militaries.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

wasp609 wrote:ok so they don't do tattoos, long hair means a higher status in loroi society, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say jewelry is a sign of either wealth like ours or it is used to for higher status. also do they use ceremonial swords like out militaries.
well still storm had one such dagger no? page 62

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:ok so they don't do tattoos, long hair means a higher status in loroi society, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say jewelry is a sign of either wealth like ours or it is used to for higher status.
The high-status component of Loroi society is military, who wear uniforms. Though the Loroi are style-conscious, most forms of jewelry are not compatible with military decorum, and so a Loroi officer is limited to adornments on the head -- hairstyle, pins and hair clips, and sometimes piercings (though these are not common). Also, members of the warrior class are not supposed to own anything beyond simple personal belongings, and so ostentatious displays of wealth are not welcome.
wasp609 wrote: also do they use ceremonial swords like out militaries.
Some, yes. As Karst mentions, Stillstorm is wearing a dagger.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Would the Loroi or their allies be fans the use of assassins if available, either in wars past or present?

Also would they enjoy the use of sniper riffles?

And A few posts back, I was thinking of the Colorado bombings. I got him mixed up with he serial killer I think ( and crap spelling).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

saint of m wrote:Would the Loroi or their allies be fans the use of assassins if available, either in wars past or present? Also would they enjoy the use of sniper riffles?
Covert operations teams and snipers would be part of any competent military force, so the Loroi certainly have them. Covert Mizol operatives may work alone or with teams, sometimes in conjunction with other Teidar or Soroin special forces. Regular infantry units will also have special weapons teams, including "hunter" teams, which are the ultra-tech equivalent of snipers.

Most such teams would not use "sniper rifles." Beam weapons don't require long barrels to be accurate, so a well-built beam assault rifle will be just as effective in most instances as a dedicated long-range weapon, and will be more flexible at closer ranges. The job of a hunter team is to find, spot and designate targets -- if circumstances permit, they may engage the target themselves, but often it will make more sense to engage a distant or hardened target with some other kind of weapon called in from somewhere else -- nearby armor, artillery or aircraft, portable missiles, or even orbital strikes.

Since there is limited access to enemy territory, aside from the few planetary invasions, most use of Loroi covert operations and special forces have been in friendly territory against insurgents, criminals, or rival factions (as in the Bluecrest Insurrection, the coup attempt against Greywind and its aftermath).

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Arioch wrote:I can imagine that there might have been past subcultures in which wearing wigs was a fashionable thing with certain upper echelons of society (as with ancient Egypt, or Renaissance Europe), but I don't think that's something that would be popular in the present day.

I'm now picturing Loroi politicians wearing the wigs that British judges used to wear...

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

i was reading some scifi novels the other day and in a few of them some substances on earth such as nutmeg or ginger were addictive to certain alien races, is there anything on earth that would effect the loroi in a similar manner

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:i was reading some scifi novels the other day and in a few of them some substances on earth such as nutmeg or ginger were addictive to certain alien races, is there anything on earth that would effect the loroi in a similar manner
Not that I'm aware of. :D

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Let's hope the reverse isn't true. It would be an unfortunate twist for Alex if some of the Loroi food was randomly addictive. While I suspect that they have at least some basic idea of what is safe or dangerous for him, based on their initial medical analysis, looking at the chemical compounds in someone's blood and dissecting their brain to see how it works are two different things.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

Arioch wrote:
wasp609 wrote:i was reading some scifi novels the other day and in a few of them some substances on earth such as nutmeg or ginger were addictive to certain alien races, is there anything on earth that would effect the loroi in a similar manner
Not that I'm aware of. :D
too bad it would have been funny watching a loroi get hooked on crapi suns.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

The Loroi have plenty of brains to dissect already. Page 60, Tempo says they recovered 57 bodies. Maybe a bit damaged, sure, but with that many specimens, they can probably get a pretty good idea.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

JQBogus wrote:The Loroi have plenty of brains to dissect already. Page 60, Tempo says they recovered 57 bodies. Maybe a bit damaged, sure, but with that many specimens, they can probably get a pretty good idea.
Why dissect? Sure, autopsy is good for finding out how something died... but they have a living, cooperative specimin who would probably let them do medical scans if they asked. They already did at least preliminary scans when they found him:
Better than working with bodies that are fatally damaged and in the initial stages of decay.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

There is very likely a limit to how much information they can get from a scan. Getting a brain tissue sample would likely be necessary to start analyzing its chemical structure.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

And a limit to how much they could gain from a dissection. The idea is that doing both will produce the maximum amount of data.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

on the forum we had some people claim that chocolat would be quite addictive and that with that substance Humaniti was able to pacify the loroi race

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

Hmm chocolate as an addictive substance would be odd. What do the loroi have in the ways of entertainment. I imagine video games would be more used as simulators for loroi soldiers, and i'm well aware of cross-fire before someone mentions it.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Chocolate contains theobromide, a molecule similar to caffeine. It's actually a poison, but humans have a high tolerance for it. Loroi would need to have a high tolerance for it too. If they can be affected by it at all, anyway. They are aliens.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Perhaps in the (inevitably very large :( ) meantime before we see Crossfire (or at least the next page), there could be an Insider page or eight on it? :mrgreen:
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yes, I'll post info on Crossfire when it's available.
wasp609 wrote:What do the loroi have in the ways of entertainment. I imagine video games would be more used as simulators for loroi soldiers, and i'm well aware of cross-fire before someone mentions it.
Loroi listen to or play music, engage in conversation, play games, attend live performances or athletic events, or engage in physical exercise (walking, running, sparring, hunting, competitive sports). Most Loroi literature is nonfiction, so few Loroi consider reading to be a leisure activity.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

So since the loroi don't have much in the way of fiction, i wonder what a loroi bookworm would do in a humans public library. Do the loroi have fast food, and if not how would they react to it. also what about internet do they have an equivalent.