Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Tamri

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Tamri »

GeoModder wrote:Something I wondered about the Highland-Seven departure scene.

On page 102 we see the shuttle appearantly with the nose pointed towards Tempest's bow.
In page 106 we see it with its nose pointed away from Tempest's stern.
Did the shuttle turn 180° after leaving the ship, or was it turned already inside the hangar?
At least, when looking at the position of the illuminated panes inside the hangar bay on page 106, it seems to me the shuttle at some point turned.
Hangar gallery likely two-sided. In my opinion, there is not enough space that would turn back and forth, and use the thrusters to close space of the hangar can be fraught with consequences.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:On page 102 we see the shuttle appearantly with the nose pointed towards Tempest's bow.
Did the shuttle turn 180° after leaving the ship, or was it turned already inside the hangar?
At least, when looking at the position of the illuminated panes inside the hangar bay on page 106, it seems to me the shuttle at some point turned.
Realistically, the shuttle would have dropped tail-first out of the hangar, but that doesn't read well for a comic panel. The balcony runs down both sides of the hangar, but the shuttle was facing forward along the starboard side. So whether it turned around before or after leaving the hangar is probably best left to the imagination.

There's room to turn around inside, but only just.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I suppose some kind of crane or tug could be used to precisely turn a small craft so they don't have to use thrusters while inside the bay.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

icekatze wrote:I suppose some kind of crane or tug could be used to precisely turn a small craft so they don't have to use thrusters while inside the bay.
Shhh. It's best left to the imagination. ;)

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

I don't see any reason why backing out and then quickly pivoting just outside the bay wouldn't work. Either way, the less useless obsessing, the faster we can get panels and move the story along before Arioch retires ;-) .

CJSF

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Arioch, how Loroi mothers reacts when one of their daughters fail to pass the trials? And when her daughter is demoted to civilian class?

If more than one daughter is demoted, does it reflect on the mother reputation like: prohibition to have another offspring or minimized access to male?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Onaiom wrote:Arioch, how Loroi mothers reacts when one of their daughters fail to pass the trials? And when her daughter is demoted to civilian class?

If more than one daughter is demoted, does it reflect on the mother reputation like: prohibition to have another offspring or minimized access to male?
It would be embarrassing, and it might be something of a social scandal if the family was of especially high standing or the mother was particularly famous. But I can't imagine that the mother might actually be punished, especially since child-rearing is usually communal and the birth mother often has very limited involvement in the process.

If a mother had multiple children who were physically unfit or who had specific genetic disorders or the like, this could affect her chances of future access to males. But I think TL10 medical science would minimize that probability.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:On page 102 we see the shuttle appearantly with the nose pointed towards Tempest's bow.
Realistically, the shuttle would have dropped tail-first out of the hangar, but that doesn't read well for a comic panel. The balcony runs down both sides of the hangar, but the shuttle was facing forward along the starboard side. So whether it turned around before or after leaving the hangar is probably best left to the imagination.

There's room to turn around inside, but only just.
A aft first deployment could look really badass in animation or CGI thou. Drop out and instantly swivel the shuttle around to show just how skilled the pilot are. But yes, since it's a comic format nose first do loook best.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote: It would be embarrassing, and it might be something of a social scandal if the family was of especially high standing or the mother was particularly famous. But I can't imagine that the mother might actually be punished, especially since child-rearing is usually communal and the birth mother often has very limited involvement in the process.

If a mother had multiple children who were physically unfit or who had specific genetic disorders or the like, this could affect her chances of future access to males. But I think TL10 medical science would minimize that probability.
How does one fail the trials? I imagine that each caste has its own standards but what's the general rule of thumb that makes the difference between a new warrior and a failure?

Also, beyond the telekinetics who must go to a respective caste, is there a way for a civilian (whether a child or even an adult) to attain warrior status?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

dragoongfa wrote:How does one fail the trials? I imagine that each caste has its own standards but what's the general rule of thumb that makes the difference between a new warrior and a failure?
IIRC, a diral (group of Loroi children aged 6-8, so adolescents to human standards) fails its trial as a unit when enough members fail their test(s).
Its all in this article.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

GeoModder wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:How does one fail the trials? I imagine that each caste has its own standards but what's the general rule of thumb that makes the difference between a new warrior and a failure?
IIRC, a diral (group of Loroi children aged 6-8, so adolescents to human standards) fails its trial as a unit when enough members fail their test(s).
Its all in this article.
Yes this part in particular:
Failure to pass the trials brings shame not only on the individual, but on the entire band (and, occasionally, on the parents and family). Failure by individuals during the trial (unless it is egregious) does not usually cause them to be dropped from the band, but rather is exacted in punishment upon the whole group (and in particular the leader). If enough members of the band fail the trials, the entire band may fail the passage, and have to perform it again at a later date. This is, however, a rare occurrence.
I take from the above that the band doesn't fail the trial as a whole but rather when a lot of the candidates fail the band is forced to take the trials again at a later date, I take this as a measure in order for the whole band not to be dropped into the civilian dregs or even an attempt to salvage potential warriors if the diral was somewhat 'unlucky' due to other circumstances.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:
Arioch wrote: It would be embarrassing, and it might be something of a social scandal if the family was of especially high standing or the mother was particularly famous. But I can't imagine that the mother might actually be punished, especially since child-rearing is usually communal and the birth mother often has very limited involvement in the process.

How does one fail the trials? I imagine that each caste has its own standards but what's the general rule of thumb that makes the difference between a new warrior and a failure?
The diral phase and the trials are mainly tests of character and unit cohesion rather than skill; more comprehensive training and culling into more specialized groups based on skill and aptitude will come later. Tests are passed and failed as a group, and failed tests can be usually taken again until they are passed (along with appropriate punishment and humiliation). There are really only two ways for an individual to wash out: by voluntarily refusing to go on, or by dying. The other members of the band are expected and encouraged to support the weaker members who are struggling, but if a particular member is so hopelessly incompetent that the others start to feel that she's a danger to the group (many of whom will eventually deploy into combat together), they may eventually abandon her or even kill her... but this is rare. So a Loroi who is dropped from warrior training and sent to civilian life is usually someone who quit.
dragoongfa wrote:Also, beyond the telekinetics who must go to a respective caste, is there a way for a civilian (whether a child or even an adult) to attain warrior status?
There were times and places in Loroi history in which under extraordinary circumstances civilians were allowed to fight or earn warrior status, but there is no current normal mechanism to allow this.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Are any of the Loroi shuttles capable of (emergency) landing on water?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:Are any of the Loroi shuttles capable of (emergency) landing on water?
If by "emergency landing" you mean crash with some survivors, sure, I think any aircraft can make an emergency landing on water. It just probably won't stay afloat for very long.

I can imagine "seaplane"-like shuttles designed to land safely on water, if they were needed. Especially if you add VTOL capability, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't imagine the Loroi having any need for this, but the Pipolsid might appreciate something like this.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

Since Loroi is also to apply, I ask here. In Loroi/Human hand Railgun battery is integrated with the clip, or inserted separately? Particle accelerators/plasmaguns, in principle, the source material for a shot needs too, but it can be compact enough that it would insert with battery. But for the Railgun this question is an edge, because of the size of ammunition.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamri wrote:Since Loroi is also to apply, I ask here. In Loroi/Human hand Railgun battery is integrated with the clip, or inserted separately? Particle accelerators/plasmaguns, in principle, the source material for a shot needs too, but it can be compact enough that it would insert with battery. But for the Railgun this question is an edge, because of the size of ammunition.
It could be done either way, but I think it would probably make more sense to have the physical ammunition and power cell separate, so that you don't end up wasting either ammunition or power.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I have a question Arioch... what are some examples of Clan names among the various Loroi worlds?

Say a... certain Loroi female were raised on Maia in a diral of teidar?

If I'm remembering correctly.. there are various clans of Loroi .. and each diral of a clan has a name as well. Is there a naming convention ...similar to the way Loroi name their ships of the line?

Also for 'graduates' of a specific diral do they append a year to that particular 'class' of young-now adult Loroi warriors... like Wind-Raiders - 2158? Meaning Diral - Wind Raiders completed their training and were deployed to active duty as Warrior in 2158 around the time of the Maiad Campaigns, which is different from the Wind Raiders of 2178?

Or do all dirals have unique names and never use the same name again?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:I have a question Arioch... what are some examples of Clan names among the various Loroi worlds? Say a... certain Loroi female were raised on Maia in a diral of teidar?
Clan names are descriptive, similar to our surnames, though they tend to describe the group rather than an individual. Styles vary by world and subculture, but they're mainly a feature of the original three Sister Worlds. Shortly after the colonization of Maia and the Splinter Wars, the First Emperor broke up the power of the clans, and many uses of clan names were abolished. If there were modern families on Maia that still used clan names, it's likely that they were inherited from one of the three homeworlds. Most Teidar are descended from Deinar lineages. Also, the Teidar and Mizol are rare enough that they would usually be transported to the caste Academies on Deinar and Perrein, respectively, for diral training rather than doing it locally on Maia.

The clan names I have written in my notes are Orin ("lively"), Nonnir (a hairstyle), Melor ("undead"), Tomis ("mercy"), and Tegal ("important"). These would all be examples of Deinar clans.
sunphoenix wrote:If I'm remembering correctly.. there are various clans of Loroi .. and each diral of a clan has a name as well. Is there a naming convention ...similar to the way Loroi name their ships of the line?
The diral names are not related to the clan names. Each diral is given a name that is made up on the spot (usually by whatever elder, teacher or assistant is at hand, some of whom are barely more than children themselves), and it is frequently rude or derogatory. Spiral & Talon's Tenoin diral on Taben was called the "High-tide Low-lives;" Beryl's Listel diral on Mezan was called "Judged Least Likely to Survive." The style of diral names varies widely, but they're rarely as cool or complimentary as "Wind Raiders." But who knows? Maybe the elder was in a good mood that day.
sunphoenix wrote:Also for 'graduates' of a specific diral do they append a year to that particular 'class' of young-now adult Loroi warriors... like Wind-Raiders - 2158? Meaning Diral - Wind Raiders completed their training and were deployed to active duty as Warrior in 2158 around the time of the Maiad Campaigns, which is different from the Wind Raiders of 2178? Or do all dirals have unique names and never use the same name again?
The diral names are locally unique, but there isn't any effort made to make sure they are never reused. The date of passage is significant (since it's also the Naming Day that Loroi observe instead of a birthday), and could be used for clarification if it was needed, but it's unlikely that there would be any confusion. While the diral name is a source of camaraderie and nostalgia for those who were in the band (whose telepathic rendering of the name would be instantly recognizable), it has little meaning to anyone else after the fact and would often be embarrassing to repeat to an outsider.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

And I suppose its a bit rare that a diral maintains cohesion as a unit over a couple centuries as well. Even before the current war started with its high attrition rate of new warriors.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Quick question:

How are the two Doranzers at the start of chapter 1 called?