Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Siber

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Siber »

If I recall correctly, long and elaborate hair is considered a status symbol, connected to seniority. Stillstorm cut her hair in the recent past following a defeat as a sign of shame or morning. I think Arioch mentioned once that civilian fashion might be different.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Siber wrote:If I recall correctly, long and elaborate hair is considered a status symbol, connected to seniority. Stillstorm cut her hair in the recent past following a defeat as a sign of shame or morning. I think Arioch mentioned once that civilian fashion might be different.
There is another reason why Stillstorm need to limit the length of her hair since she currently use the hairstyle version of this: http://www.eredie.jp/blog/2012/04/captainwuv.html :D

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Sweforce wrote:
Suederwind wrote:So, baldness could be some kind of social stigma to them?
Probably since being bald would be choice. You look "wierd". Something you choose to stand out, like going to a job interview with a face full of piercings and tattoos.
Or a novice of some kind?
I seem to recall that part of the initiation rite of a warrior is to have her head shaved.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I think I remember something like that, too. But what about adult Loroi that have bald heads? Is it common for Loroi warriors or civilians to shave their head, maybe as some kind of atonement rituale?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Shaved and very short hair are signs of civilians iirc.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Being bald isn't a "stigma" exactly, but long hair is a status symbol among female Loroi. Warriors have their hair shorn as part of certain rituals, but otherwise they usually wear it as long as they can. Civilian females keep their hair cut very short. Males do their hair any way they like.

malletmann

Post by malletmann »

A thought I had, based on the earlier discussion of the Loroi and entertainment; what would the Loroi think of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar?

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

What Loroi cultivated virtues and what vices censured? With the exception of gender, with them +- is clear. As with this things in Umiak?

There are in society Loroi some taboo, not related to gender balance and an invasion of another individual's mind?

Barsam absolute pacifists, or self-defense is permitted by their religion / philosophy?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

malletmann wrote:A thought I had, based on the earlier discussion of the Loroi and entertainment; what would the Loroi think of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar?
As a pseudo-historical tale, the story would fit right in with the Loroi heroic epics, put in its native form (as a play) most Loroi wouldn't care for it. Loroi culture doesn't go in for play-acting.
Tamri wrote:What Loroi cultivated virtues and what vices censured? With the exception of gender, with them +- is clear. As with this things in Umiak?
Traditional Loroi virtues are honesty, valor, loyalty, and vivacity. Traditional Loroi vices are duplicity, jealousy, avarice, and self-pity.

Traditional Umiak virtues are duty, toil, modesty, self-sufficiency, patience, frugality, and charity. Traditional Umiak vices are sloth, egotism, and vulgarity.
Tamri wrote:There are in society Loroi some taboo, not related to gender balance and an invasion of another individual's mind?
Most Loroi social taboos are related in some way to gender interaction or telepathy.
Tamri wrote:Barsam absolute pacifists, or self-defense is permitted by their religion / philosophy?
Barsam religion forbids killing, but (as with most Christian nations) this hasn't stopped them from fighting when they feel it's necessary. I think this is inevitable; a truly pacifist nation can't survive unless someone else is protecting them. Observing the commandment against killing became a lot easier for the Barsam after the formation of the Union, when the Loroi formally took over most of the responsibility for defense.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Somewhat related to page 112, I was wondering if there is anything specific about Loroi to take into consideration when thinking about how they would feel about the importance of authenticity. Like, if an object was an original, or an accurate replica. I could kinda see it going both ways, and humans certainly have differing opinions about it.

On one hand, I could see a replica being okay if there is a clear cut chain of custody, as it were; as long as the original was used as a legit source, passed down through the ages like retelling a story. On the other hand, I could see a replica being though of as a useless piece junk if it isn't the original too.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

icekatze wrote:Somewhat related to page 112, I was wondering if there is anything specific about Loroi to take into consideration when thinking about how they would feel about the importance of authenticity. Like, if an object was an original, or an accurate replica. I could kinda see it going both ways, and humans certainly have differing opinions about it.

On one hand, I could see a replica being okay if there is a clear cut chain of custody, as it were; as long as the original was used as a legit source, passed down through the ages like retelling a story. On the other hand, I could see a replica being though of as a useless piece junk if it isn't the original too.
I think Loroi attitudes toward objects would be similar to ours in this respect; an object gains value (beyond its inherent value as an ordinary object) if it has great age or special provenance. Even a replica can gain value as it ages; a period replica is generally more valuable than a modern one.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I was playing Star Trek Online and I saw someone launching fireworks from their ship! Do the Loroi, Umiak, Humans or anyone else do this sort of thing?

I think a TL 9+ fireworks display in space using military vessels and crews would be something awesome to see!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I like pyrotechnic displays a lot, but I can't help but wonder if actual explosions in space would not pose a significant hazard to any observers close enough to appreciate them. In orbit, there's no air to quickly dampen the velocity of any resultant shrapnel (even if it's only made of paper or other light materials) or gravity to quickly pull such shrapnel to the ground.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote:I like pyrotechnic displays a lot, but I can't help but wonder if actual explosions in space would not pose a significant hazard to any observers close enough to appreciate them. In orbit, there's no air to quickly dampen the velocity of any resultant shrapnel (even if it's only made of paper or other light materials) or gravity to quickly pull such shrapnel to the ground.
That would make for a NASTY space ordinance weapon...

A missile that exploded.. non-nuclear-shaped charge, that sent clusters of cannonball sized depleted-uranium fragments in every direction. Image, if you will, a barrage of several of those kinds of missiles fired into a enemy fleet's formation... the HAVOC that would ensue!

Talk about KINETIC KILL!

Oh.. and star trek has deflector shields and quatrobyrillium{sp?} hulls.. basically compressed diamond... not so much of a risk to them...
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:I like pyrotechnic displays a lot, but I can't help but wonder if actual explosions in space would not pose a significant hazard to any observers close enough to appreciate them. In orbit, there's no air to quickly dampen the velocity of any resultant shrapnel (even if it's only made of paper or other light materials) or gravity to quickly pull such shrapnel to the ground.
I expect that gasses or super-fine dust would be dispensed from specialized containers, rather than just using simple fireworks: more controllable & such. On Earth you'd just be adding an expensive consumable component, but in space you can just stick a recovery engine on.

discord

Post by discord »

absalom: given natures dislike of vacuums and the ensuing propensity for rapid dispersion, colored gasses would probably work just fine, especially combined with MASSIVE spotlights and laser shows.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

The ensuing rapid dispersion is why I'm not certain that colorful gasses would work out fine. I suggested that dust might be an alternative due to an assumption on my part that it would take at least a little while longer to disperse to an indiscernible concentration.

Dust would also be a better option for smaller, closer-in shows, for much the same reason.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Forget the pyrotechnics. Make gigantic LED Christmas tree decorations and throw it out there in a web formation and simply display the whole thing. After that the web is folded back and reused at the next celebration.

Or you just let an listel memorize a grandeurs fireworks display and have her replay it as a zansai sending for everyone close by to enjoy.

"And when I was on earth I experienced this": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6Ago2JeUY

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

I just got this odd thing in my head. Do the loroi know what a bicycle is?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sweforce wrote:I just got this odd thing in my head. Do the loroi know what a bicycle is?
Someone must have invented one at some point, but I don't imagine them being very popular.