Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

thicket

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by thicket »

even the Galactic Empire used bikes (along time ago....)

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

GeoModder wrote:Not good enough for those haughty warriors? :lol:

i think it because water is more present than ground on their homeworld. making use of boat probably more interresting that bikes

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Karst45 wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Not good enough for those haughty warriors? :lol:

i think it because water is more present than ground on their homeworld. making use of boat probably more interresting that bikes
Water is also more present on Earth (and Aldea) then land?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Karst45 wrote:i think it because water is more present than ground on their homeworld. making use of boat probably more interresting that bikes
They got three homeworlds and only one of them is a "water world" and the waterworld one even have an artificially placed moon with liveable atmosphere! And to top of that numerous colonized worlds. Add to this that bicycles are excellent for a culture where it is paramount to keep fit. Fat couchpotato loroi that use the bus are usually not included among those on the top of the social ladder. ;)

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Taben is the 'waterworld' of the three sister colonies, not Maia. ;)
(But it is likely that Maia's oceans do span more surface area then Taben's.)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Bikes are perfect on water worlds.
Small, transportable, yet silent when having debarked for secret missions, and still a reasonable range.
Especially on worlds with many small islands.
A "small" island may still be too large for one-night covert operations, and rowing boats seldom have room for jeeps.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Murph

Post by Murph »

Some of the tech and background are somewhat familiar from the SPACE OPERA game system from FGU, back in the early 1980's. More Traveller like in some ways as well. Interesting forum.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Stupid Question, do Loroi have the technology to change the color of their irises? Because they are all either matching colors with certain parts of their armors or they are complimenting their hair.

EDIT: Yes this has been bugging me for quite some time now.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Stupid Question, do Loroi have the technology to change the color of their irises? Because they are all either matching colors with certain parts of their armors or they are complimenting their hair.
I think it's probably possible at this medical tech level, but that's not what's going on here. The characters' color coordination is an issue of real-world character design rather than due to some in-universe manipulation. (And Alex's eye color is similarly coordinated.)

E=M.C^2

Post by E=M.C^2 »

We are mostly presented the dominant, military-oriented, aspects of the Loroi society. This is of course mostly due to the very nature of the tale (many thanks to Arioch for it). I am curious about the civilian side of the story and would like to know more about day-to-day life, at least how Arioch sees it. So here are my questions :
- Is there a notion of pet, or attachment to an animal or particular species ? (as we do with dogs, cats, birds, etc) ;
- How day-to-day trade is performed at a consumer level ? (pop&mom shop, open-air market, mall, online order & delivery) ;
- What would be the source of the law ? (written or customary constitution, doctrine, a pair of dices !!) ;
- That is all for now.

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

E=M.C^2 wrote:We are mostly presented the dominant, military-oriented, aspects of the Loroi society. This is of course mostly due to the very nature of the tale (many thanks to Arioch for it). I am curious about the civilian side of the story and would like to know more about day-to-day life, at least how Arioch sees it. So here are my questions :
- Is there a notion of pet, or attachment to an animal or particular species ? (as we do with dogs, cats, birds, etc) ;
- How day-to-day trade is performed at a consumer level ? (pop&mom shop, open-air market, mall, online order & delivery) ;
- What would be the source of the law ? (written or customary constitution, doctrine, a pair of dices !!) ;
- That is all for now.

IIRC, the concept of a pet at Loroi exist, but they seems one, and aren't comparable with the cats. About other species, Jim didn't mention anything, but certainly some domesticated animals may be at all.

If I understand correctly scattered information here and on the website, in Loroi everyday society respects similar to our now ... well, with further digital integrated, 50-80 years old commercials through, with some details arising from their specificity. Most digital transactions, broad integration with foreign agencies, the military kept by the state, and civil - at the expense of the guild in which they work. Communist capitalism, in short)) I think, on this basis, the market is mainly digital, shopping centers are most likely foreign, I think.

Judging by what I see and what Jim posted in open access, the supreme law in Loroi - a mix of doctrines and the heap of traditions. Most likely this is all embodied in one constitution, but it is more for foreign, not than for themselves Loroi.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

E=M.C^2 wrote: - Is there a notion of pet, or attachment to an animal or particular species ? (as we do with dogs, cats, birds, etc) ;
There is a creature called miros that looks like a pig and is sometimes raised as a pet.
E=M.C^2 wrote: - How day-to-day trade is performed at a consumer level ? (pop&mom shop, open-air market, mall, online order & delivery) ;
Digital trade system.
E=M.C^2 wrote: - What would be the source of the law ? (written or customary constitution, doctrine, a pair of dices !!) ;
There are laws, but the military court can punish as they see fit.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

E=M.C^2 wrote:- What would be the source of the law ? (written or customary constitution, doctrine, a pair of dices !!) ;
"Dice" is already plural.
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Civilian life varies more widely from one locality to another than warrior life; while warrior culture has been homogenized to a certain degree since unification, civilian cultures tend to be more diverse in their everyday activities. In some more traditional areas, civilian life is strictly regimented by custom, while in more modern colonial regions, civilians can more or less do as they please as long as they don't break the larger rules of society.
Onaiom wrote:
E=M.C^2 wrote: - Is there a notion of pet, or attachment to an animal or particular species ? (as we do with dogs, cats, birds, etc) ;
There is a creature called miros that looks like a pig and is sometimes raised as a pet.
To elaborate, pet availability varies from world to world. Deinar Miros are essentially re-domesticated feral livestock; they come in a wide variety of colors and are amusing as juveniles, but they continue to grow as they age and so even those raised as pets sometimes end up being eaten. Miros are common throughout Loroi territory but are most often seen in rural areas.

Perrein has a wealth of highly-evolved but not very intelligent (read: extremely dangerous) native animals and the local Loroi have a tradition of handling them, but they are mostly potentially lethal and not very cuddly (bugs, worms, tree-climbing squid-things). The beimish are a variety of small tree-dwelling cephalopod-like creatures that sing a bit like frogs, and are brightly colored and bioluminescent. They were sometimes used as a combination of music box and night light. However, they are also highly toxic and so must be handled carefully, and they will inject eggs into your soft tissues while you're sleeping if they can get out of their cages.

There are no doubt a variety of alien critters available on various colony worlds or from various alien cultures, but the Loroi do not (yet) have a true man/dog-type symbiotic relationship with any of them. (They await the arrival of the Terran kitten vendors.)
E=M.C^2 wrote: How day-to-day trade is performed at a consumer level ? (pop&mom shop, open-air market, mall, online order & delivery)
There is a wide variety of potential options, including all of the above, but they are limited in some areas by the available currency. In the urban areas of Deinar, most civilians are employed by the traditional monopolistic trade guilds, which compensate employees partly with food and housing and partly with guild scrip that can only be spent at guild-run dispensaries. Other civilians work for smaller companies (or even start their own), but the survival of free-market companies can be difficult in a monopolistic system, when many workers don't have currency that's valuable outside their own guild walls, and influence between institutions is often a more important currency than cash. This has opened up to a degree with the founding of new colonies and the integration of alien trade.

Most purchased goods are tangible objects (the Loroi not trading much in media) that are usually purchased at a local dispensary or marketplace or shop.
Onaiom wrote:
E=M.C^2 wrote:- What would be the source of the law ? (written or customary constitution, doctrine, a pair of dices !!) ;
There are laws, but the military court can punish as they see fit.
Sort of. Loroi society is governed by a set of rules, but they are principles more than written laws, and the legal (military) authorities can exercise some judgment in how they are applied and enforced. The Loroi would say that they prefer justice over the letter of the law, but justice is, of course, subjective.

In the larger Union, the Loroi are party to treaties and regulations with other races which must be written down, and in this sense they are subject to a legal process that's more in line with what we are used to.

discord

Post by discord »

EMC: given that the characters are modeled with GURPS it would be THREE dice not two.

Arioch: yes it would be interesting to see first contact between the loroi and their new overlords(cats).

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Oh Wow...!!! I Feel sooo SORRY for the Loroi! They have never had the joy of a real pet owner. It seems that Humans..despite not having telepathy have managed with a lot of our native animals to form real long-lasting bonds of affection and love with... Horses, Dogs & Cats.. Parrots, Falconers of all shades... even Dolphins and other animals like Seals, Otters, Weasels.. and Raccoons.. traditionally 'wild' animals we humans seems to be able to make a pet out of most animals on our world.

THAT IS something the Loroi could learn and enjoy from us humans... nothing in the world like curling up with a lifelong friend in a loving loyal dog... or the feel the purr of contentment from a beloved cat cuddled close!

I really believe the animals of our world have taught humanity some very distinct and important lessons in what it means to play, how to love, what true loyalty is and the joy of a long lasting friendship that we ...as a species would be .. the poorer for if we had them not!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Which reminds me, what was the reaction of Deinari and Tabenese Loroi to the native lifeforms of Perrein?

In before "Kill it with fire"

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

dragoongfa wrote:Which reminds me, what was the reaction of Deinari and Tabenese Loroi to the native lifeforms of Perrein?

Perhaps "Let's use it on the enemy!"?

E=M.C^2

Post by E=M.C^2 »

Carl Miller wrote:
"Dice" is already plural.
Ooops ! English is not my first language, thanks for the correction. :D

E=M.C^2

Post by E=M.C^2 »

GeoModder wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:Which reminds me, what was the reaction of Deinari and Tabenese Loroi to the native lifeforms of Perrein?

Perhaps "Let's use it on the enemy!"?
Like the Perrein cuisine?