Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

NuclearIceCream

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Suederwind wrote:Not sure if all the answeres to these questions are considered spoilers, but I will ask them anyway:
Do all Loroi fleets / strike groups have a set of alien diplomats accompany them?
Whats the reason that Historian AI is on the bridge? Is Tempo just keeping it there to annoy Stillstorm occasionally?
What kind fo "special services" does Rigai Mozin provide for the Loroi? Is his ship armed and how many other Barsam courier vessels are out there (one for every fleet)?

I also have these questions.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:Do all Loroi fleets / strike groups have a set of alien diplomats accompany them?
Most Loroi ships have a staff of Mizol on board, who can function as diplomats. Mizol also function as intelligence officers and political officers.

If you mean alien diplomats, it's not standard for Loroi ships to carry foreign diplomats, but it does happen. Greywind's flagship has a full set of foreign ambassadors on board.
Suederwind wrote:Whats the reason that Historian AI is on the bridge? Is Tempo just keeping it there to annoy Stillstorm occasionally?
The Historian personality construct was transmitted from Mozin's courier. The "jar" that the construct inhabited is a Historian-made device that was already on board Tempest. Command ships often have one or two on board so that if a Historian needs to visit, the Loroi can keep it out of their own computers.
Suederwind wrote:What kind fo "special services" does Rigai Mozin provide for the Loroi? Is his ship armed and how many other Barsam courier vessels are out there (one for every fleet)?
Because of the lack of FTL communications, couriers are very important in moving information. The Loroi, Barsam and Neridi all operate large numbers of couriers in the Steppes theater of operations. Some couriers run regular routes between bases, some stand by at bases waiting to sent to deliver special messages, and some run relays to fleets in the field. This last duty is difficult and dangerous, since they don't always know where the fleets will be (couriers usually don't have Farseers on board), and there's the chance of running into enemy forces. A typical Loroi courier is a corvette-class vessel with minimal armament.

Mozin's Prophet's Reason is kind of the Millennium Falcon of couriers; she's the size of a light cruiser, fast, and well-armed. Mozin sometimes operates as an armed courier, sometimes transporting high-priority cargoes, and sometimes performing other, "sensitive" missions. He has done jobs for Loroi Intelligence as well as for the Historians.

NuclearIceCream

Arioch wrote:
Suederwind wrote:Do all Loroi fleets / strike groups have a set of alien diplomats accompany them?
Most Loroi ships have a staff of Mizol on board, who can function as diplomats. Mizol also function as intelligence officers and political officers.

If you mean alien diplomats, it's not standard for Loroi ships to carry foreign diplomats, but it does happen. Greywind's flagship has a full set of foreign ambassadors on board.
As of the events of Outsider, Greywind no longer possesses a full set of foreign ambassadors. lol.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

NuclearIceCream wrote: As of the events of Outsider, Greywind no longer possesses a full set of foreign ambassadors. lol.
The former emperor was unlikely to have a full set too. Can't imagine the Umiak in the prewar days sending a representation of their 'Hierarchy'.

Arioch, are the Nissek represented on Greywind's flagship. And did a fair number of alien ambassadors die when emperor Eight Dawn took her ship to action at the Tinza perimeter?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
NuclearIceCream wrote: As of the events of Outsider, Greywind no longer possesses a full set of foreign ambassadors. lol.
The former emperor was unlikely to have a full set too. Can't imagine the Umiak in the prewar days sending a representation of their 'Hierarchy'.

Arioch, are the Nissek represented on Greywind's flagship. And did a fair number of alien ambassadors die when emperor Eight Dawn took her ship to action at the Tinza perimeter?
I meant ambassadors of the allied nations, of course.

Yes, there is a Nissek ambassador (and his staff) aboard Greywind's flagship Cry of the Wind.

Most of the diplomats were taken off Skymaster before Eighth Dawn and her squadron went into action, but a few elected to stay, and they died with the Emperor.

NuclearIceCream

Im sorry guys, but I have to share. I have this image of Greywind holding pokeballs shouting "GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL" while chasing Alex.

EDIT: I mean mental image. I have no renderings of said image.

Username

Post by Username »

NuclearIceCream wrote:Im sorry guys, but I have to share. I have this image of Greywind holding pokeballs shouting "GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL" while chasing Alex.

you had me all excited : :x

NuclearIceCream

Username wrote:
NuclearIceCream wrote:Im sorry guys, but I have to share. I have this image of Greywind holding pokeballs shouting "GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL" while chasing Alex.

you had me all excited : :x

I could try but it wouldn't have color, and probably wouldn't be pretty.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Will the art of lishranen ever be elaborated upon, at least in the Insider if not in the comic itself?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Will the art of lishranen [Loroi Judo] ever be elaborated upon, at least in the Insider if not in the comic itself?
No current plans for it, but you never know.

Quazel

Post by Quazel »

Despite having resigned to the position of lurker I would like to formally request some New Years Fan Service. Please?
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Quazel wrote:Despite having resigned to the position of lurker I would like to formally request some New Years Fan Service. Please?
You have to be more specific than that, otherwise we will wind up with Mozin in a thong.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
Quazel wrote:Despite having resigned to the position of lurker I would like to formally request some New Years Fan Service. Please?
You have to be more specific than that, otherwise we will wind up with Mozin in a thong.
not again....

how about ashrain fan service?

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Bollocks to all that!

CJSF

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Ashrain x Tempo.

We demand it. It is demanded. :3
Don't delay, join today!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Also, what is the proper form of address for the Loroi Emperor?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Also, what is the proper form of address for the Loroi Emperor?
Greywind's formal title is Geit Loroi Azerein Ramarinzil ("Fourth Loroi Emperor Greywind"). She can be addressed verbally in a variety of ways, but this is not especially important, as most Loroi in her presence will not be addressing her verbally, but rather using telepathy.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Does time and entropy still take place in Hyperspace, and Negative-Hyperspace?

Nevermind the fact that successful jumps are near instantaneous to the perceptions of those utilizing it, but does time and entropy still occur?

Could it be a dimension that secretly houses some bizarre creatures that cannot interact with exotic foreign entities that use it as a means of travel? With a different sense of time than us of course.

Spess Horror Story Tiem: To the hyperspace entities, we become artifacts that cannot be "normally" interacted with, that take eons to dissipate. Unless, when a jump drive hiccups "in-between" jumps and some of the crew become unprotected. To the bewilderment of the crew, "magically" disappear after the FTL Jump.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Matter can exist in hyperspace, but since matter in hyperspace is still affected gravitationally by objects in realspace, most matter in hyperspace will eventually be sucked back into realspace. It is unlikely that hyperspace has any matter of its own, since such matter would also fall towards realspace (and we don't periodically see stars or planetoids appearing out of nowhere). Also, the gravitational interaction between matter in realspace and hyperspace goes both ways, so if there were "native" masses in hyperspace, they would cause noticeable perturbations in masses in our universe, and perhaps even occasionally liberate objects into hyperspace. So it's equally unlikely that life -- as we know it -- could arise in hyperspace.

Time is a property of space, and so hyperspace-time will behave differently than space-time. Objects are able to move faster than the speed of light, but there is still time of a sort, with passage of time, causality, and entropy.

If there were to arise some kind of exotic ether-beings in hyperspace, it's not clear how they might interact with us. Beings from realspace are blind while in hyperspace (as light waves don't propagate the same way), so the only way to interact with other objects in hyperspace is to actually bump into them... but ether beings, having no mass, can't even do that. All they could do is wave as we pass by... assuming that they are even able to detect our presence.

Negative-hyperspace is an unknown quantity. Theoretically it is similar to hyperspace, but with many properties inverted. It does seem possible for matter to become trapped in negative-hyperspace, but since it's very hard to get in and seemingly impossible to get out, there's not much possibility for interacting with whatever nasty beings might be there.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

How does a loroi soldier put on her uniform? Does it zip up, button up, suction itself on like the plug suits in Evangelion, or something else entirely (if so, what)?
Don't delay, join today!