Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Absalom

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Absalom »

Carl Miller wrote:
Arioch wrote:or whatever pleases you
Deinarid, Perreiner, Tabenese, Maian. ;)

Also, I imagine that loroi starcraft would use fiber optics at the absolute least. This would of course mean that they need fucktons of sand.
It also requires optical rectennas (should hopefully be doable at their tech-level). Of course, it could be something entirely different (some obscure quantum-coupling mechanism in the super-conduction family, perhaps), but in the end it all comes down to "power lines" regardless of the specific technology.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Arioch wrote: I don't have precise estimates for the power requirements of ships; they would be somewhere in the terajoule order of magnitude. The power draw on the Tempest's weapons (especially the pulse cannons) would be much larger than a Rapier's medium blasters, as would the draw of the accumulators that feed the defensive screens/jump drive/wave loom device, so the internal power transmission infrastructure would have to be more extensive for the larger vessel.

I don't know enough about how TL12 power transmission systems would work to be able to say anything meaningful about how they would be constructed. The main power lines originate at the engines and run through the struts to the main accumulators in the forward prongs. Most heavy weapons are situated in the engine nacelles, very close to the power source.
Nothing "meter-thick, liquid-helium-cooled silver busbars" couldn't handle. Not that you've yet declared anything starkly indescribable.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Absalom wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:
Arioch wrote:or whatever pleases you
Deinarid, Perreiner, Tabenese, Maian. ;)

Also, I imagine that loroi starcraft would use fiber optics at the absolute least. This would of course mean that they need fucktons of sand.
It also requires optical rectennas (should hopefully be doable at their tech-level). Of course, it could be something entirely different (some obscure quantum-coupling mechanism in the super-conduction family, perhaps), but in the end it all comes down to "power lines" regardless of the specific technology.
Optical whats?
Don't delay, join today!

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Carl Miller wrote:
Absalom wrote:It also requires optical rectennas (should hopefully be doable at their tech-level). Of course, it could be something entirely different (some obscure quantum-coupling mechanism in the super-conduction family, perhaps), but in the end it all comes down to "power lines" regardless of the specific technology.
Optical whats?
Rectennas, rectifying antennas, to perform high-efficiency conversion to electricity (unless you know of a better way to use light to power magnetic fields from an optical-frequency power supply).

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

I had a shower thought yesterday, or rather, a shower question.

What are bathing facilities like aboard a Loroi warship?

It might seem silly, but seriously, it's a good indicator of how advanced your technology is. You have to have very advanced water reclamation/re-purification technology to afford even a basic shower without harsh time limits or flow restrictions. Even the Trek universe had sonic showers (though I supposed they could have had regular ones if they wanted... replicators/matter-energy conversion is essentially "a sufficiently advanced technology...")

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

orion1836 wrote:I had a shower thought yesterday, or rather, a shower question.

It might seem silly, but seriously, it's a good indicator of how advanced your technology is. You have to have very advanced water reclamation/re-purification technology to afford even a basic shower without harsh time limits or flow restrictions. Even the Trek universe had sonic showers (though I supposed they could have had regular ones if they wanted... replicators/matter-energy conversion is essentially "a sufficiently advanced technology...")
In Star Trek some people still take baths, even on Voyager stuck in the Delta quadrant. So I say the sonic showers are for those that simply prefer that. And the most primitive reclamation system imaginable, that is you use a pump that let you shower again in your own used water is easy to build. It would not be any less hygienic then bathing. I would not go for time limits at all, except for the queuing aspect, it is how much clean water you use up. A quick soap up and shower to get the dirt out, then re use the rest of your allotted water supply to enjoy the experience (as long as you avoid peeing at this point :mrgreen: )

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

orion1836 wrote:I had a shower thought yesterday, or rather, a shower question.

I get some of my best ideas in the shower. It's a magical meditation chamber. :D

The typical shipboard Loroi washroom has a small-ish communal tub surrounded by benches in which the Loroi give themselves (and each other) sponge baths before having a soak in the tub. There are a few shower stalls, but these are normally only used by Loroi who managed to get themselves really dirty.

Water use is minimized, but I think that TL11 water purification technology will be very effective, and so the vast majority can be reclaimed for reuse. Some of the larger flagships put water to some decadent uses -- fountains, more elaborate baths, etc.

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Arioch wrote:I get some of my best ideas in the shower. It's a magical meditation chamber. :D
Especially if you combine showering with sitting innatub.
The typical shipboard Loroi washroom has a small-ish communal tub surrounded by benches in which the Loroi give themselves (and each other) sponge baths before having a soak in the tub. There are a few shower stalls, but these are normally only used by Loroi who managed to get themselves really dirty.

Water use is minimized, but I think that TL11 water purification technology will be very effective, and so the vast majority can be reclaimed for reuse. Some of the larger flagships put water to some decadent uses -- fountains, more elaborate baths, etc.
... Alex must be restricted from ever seeing one in use. The poor boy does not need to explain sudden nosebleeds to his keepers. :P

Would smaller ships just do away with the tub entirely in favor of larger showers though? Comforts of home be damned, we don't have space for the froo-froo crap?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Would smaller ships just do away with the tub entirely in favor of larger showers though? Comforts of home be damned, we don't have space for the froo-froo crap?
The tub is more about relaxation than getting clean (you wash before getting in the tub) and so can be omitted in the case where there isn't space or infrastructure.

But the Loroi like their tubs.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

The Loroi are nothing if not steeped in tradition. :P

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:The tub is more about relaxation than getting clean (you wash before getting in the tub) and so can be omitted in the case where there isn't space or infrastructure.

But the Loroi like their tubs.
So... Basically, the Loroi bathe like humans from Japan?

Fair enough.

If there isn't space or infrastructure, would they just do the relaxation in a larger-than-strictly-nessessary-for-cleansing shower, then?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:If there isn't space or infrastructure, would they just do the relaxation in a larger-than-strictly-nessessary-for-cleansing shower, then?
If there is room for a large shower, there is room for a small tub.

ShadowDragon8685

Arioch wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:If there isn't space or infrastructure, would they just do the relaxation in a larger-than-strictly-nessessary-for-cleansing shower, then?
Sure, but there may not be room for a small tub and a small shower, yanno?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

At that tech level acquiring water from ice asteroids should be simple....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
If my experience in the army is of any value:

"Make some room."
"But my Torrai..."
"What part of MAKE SOME ROOM is hard to understand?"

There, problem solved.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Most tubs are equipped with a shower as well, you can have both.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:The typical shipboard Loroi washroom has a small-ish communal tub surrounded by benches in which the Loroi give themselves (and each other) sponge baths before having a soak in the tub.
I am a little surprised and simultaneously not at all surprised by this.

Of course the Loroi give each other sponge baths. :D

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

That post is sooo much fanservice...

For the credibility of the comic, I hope Arioch stays away from showing such a bath in full use in the comic pages.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Krulle wrote:That post is sooo much fanservice...

For the awesomeness of the comic, I hope Arioch devotes an entire chapter to showing such a bath in full use in the comic pages.
Fixed that for you. :P

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I admit, it might seem at odds with the Loroi's social taboos about touching, but perhaps it is something that more happens among close knit groups. Loroi supposedly would think humans are odd for having a meal sharing culture, but they're allowed to have some oddities too.