Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

kernly wrote:Which makes me wonder - what is intelligence gathering like in a space-fleet scenario? In the Outsider universe, is there a lot of holding ships a few jumps back so that scouting missions don't see them? Are there lots of deep scouting missions by both sides? Is there a viable way to totally block yourself from being scouted - how effectively can you station a superior force at the in-jump zone of a star and totally prevent a given ship from jumping in, charging up and jumping out before they get shot?
A scout that jumps into your system has to reverse its vector before it can jump back out, which will generally take several hours at least. Also, both sides will usually have patrols in the outlying frontier that will give warning of incoming vessels, so it will be a dangerous proposition for lone scouts to try to get in and out of enemy systems unscathed. So, border reconnaissance will generally have to be done in force. The Umiak do it with large-scale assaults, and the Loroi do it with with smaller raider groups directed by Farseers to hit the gaps in protection. In both cases, the "reconnaissance" force will usually try to hurt something while they're there.

However, it's extremely difficult see past the border system to the interior of the enemy's territory, so if the enemy wants to build reserves that you don't know about, all they have to do is not station them right on the border systems. Both sides are currently doing this with their reserves, so neither side has clear intelligence. The Loroi have an advantage in this department with Farseers and telepathic interrogation, but there are limits to both.

In peacetime, intelligence gathering was a bit easier; Loroi and Umiak vessels were not allowed past the border systems, but it wasn't that hard to get local proxies to penetrate the interior. The limitation for Loroi intelligence in this period was that the Umiak strictly controlled movement of their own client populations within Umiak territory, even during peacetime.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

What are the color codes for the uniforms and rank tabs?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Do you mean the RGB values?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Yes.

COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC: You should join us on IRC sometime :3
Don't delay, join today!

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I noticed that in the psychokinetic thread in the Insider PK shield was labeled as being able to stop sonic attacks.

Nub question, but I thought from my science lessons that sound was a form of energy? Or am I misremembering my lessons.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:I noticed that in the psychokinetic thread in the Insider PK shield was labeled as being able to stop sonic attacks.

Nub question, but I thought from my science lessons that sound was a form of energy? Or am I misremembering my lessons.
Everything is a form of energy. Matter is a form of energy. So you could say that sound is a form of energy, but it's kinetic energy, not electromagnetic. Sound is transmitted by particles bouncing off each other. If you can affect the movement of those particles with psychokinesis, then it's possible to mitigate the effects of sound waves.
CJ Miller wrote:What are the color codes for the uniforms and rank tabs?
The colors I have used vary a great deal under different lighting conditions, so it would take some significant effort to come up with a list of "official" colors.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

How will the Loroi react when they learn that in human history, primarily the males kill other males?

Would they be shocked? Appalled? Find it funny in an odd way? Since to the Loroi males seem to want to keep males out of the fighting, would it be considered a taboo? Or would they simply consider us "aliens" and not really care?

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Grayhome wrote:How will the Loroi react when they learn that in human history, primarily the males kill other males?

Would they be shocked? Appalled? Find it funny in an odd way? Since to the Loroi males seem to want to keep males out of the fighting, would it be considered a taboo? Or would they simply consider us "aliens" and not really care?
This is not uncommon in any species that have a larger male gender. The loroi have probably seen this more often in mammals than the other way around so it wouldn't be shocking to them.
If they wonder they can just compare us to the delrias whom i understood is very similar to us in the gender ratio. I don't know their dimorphism so i could be wrong here. Maybe they are more like spotted hyenas?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:How will the Loroi react when they learn that in human history, primarily the males kill other males?
Alex mentions this to Beryl on page 38, and I think her reaction is typical: surprise, but not shock. As Jericho mentions, the Loroi have met other aliens and so won't be shocked by aliens being different from them, but they may be surprised that humans are so different in behavior when they seem to so similar in form.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Jericho wrote:The loroi have probably seen this more often in mammals than the other way around so it wouldn't be shocking to them.
If they wonder they can just compare us to the delrias whom i understood is very similar to us in the gender ratio. I don't know their dimorphism so i could be wrong here. Maybe they are more like spotted hyenas?
I would be surprised if the Loroi have ever seen mammals before. Excluding possibly themselves, under a certain taxonomical definition.

I do not believe for a moment that the Delrias or other fur-bearing creatures of Loroi space bear more than a superficial resemblance to us. No more so than the Umiak could be arthropoda.

Our kind are named after a very specific adaptation, which is far from necessary or inevitable. Birds manage to feed their children without lactating and have done so for millions of years.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Well, I think I heard once real world lactating, non mammal creature. Sadly I can't remember what it was.
Supporter of forum RPG

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

bunnyboy wrote:Well, I think I heard once real world lactating, non mammal creature. Sadly I can't remember what it was.
You're probably thinking of avian regurgitation, some varieties of which involve a product sometimes called "crop milk" which does involve lactation based around the same core set of hormones which promote mammalian lactation, but which are a product of and stored in their digestive system, rather than in mammaries.

You might even be thinking of news articles announcing that "Dinosaurs may have fed 'milk' to their young or something similar.

To my knowledge, most birds who rear young don't lactate at all, and those that do, do so in a way that does not resemble the mammalian organ system, nor does mammalian sexual dimorphism follow from it.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Solemn wrote: I would be surprised if the Loroi have ever seen mammals before. Excluding possibly themselves, under a certain taxonomical definition.

I do not believe for a moment that the Delrias or other fur-bearing creatures of Loroi space bear more than a superficial resemblance to us. No more so than the Umiak could be arthropoda.

Our kind are named after a very specific adaptation, which is far from necessary or inevitable. Birds manage to feed their children without lactating and have done so for millions of years.
I'm afraid i don't understand your point here. Are you saying that mammals wouldn't evolve given time? You do realize that evolution is based on the non random selection och random variation.
this to me says that mammal-like creatures will evolve inevitable given time. Not because of necessity but because of an afterthought in evolutions primary funktion.
What classifies something as a mammals are three very simple demands, Warm blood, live young, lactation. No more really.
I'd be really shocked if there were not hundreds of these examples in loroi space.

As for the delrias being mammals. If your saying that they are not i can't argue with that given the fact that they are mammaloid not mammals (Insider). I don't know what difference they have that seperates them from mammals or if this is just because they are aliens but i think thats irrelevant.

Arioch

This may not be the right thread to ask but given that i don't think the interest is high enough to spark a good thread i'll ask them here. This won't take long.

Why are they mammaloid and not mammals?

Are the delrias like spotted hyenas or lions dimorphically speaking?

Do they lactate? Or are they born with teeth and are capable of devouring meat from the start?

They have a warrior culture. Are there special rules for each gender or is it the same for both?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Jericho wrote:Are you saying that mammals wouldn't evolve given time?
Multicellular life wasn't inevitable in my view. Much less any such highly specific function and arrangement of organs.
Jericho wrote:You do realize that evolution is based on the non random selection och random variation.

this to me says that mammal-like creatures will evolve inevitable given time. Not because of necessity but because of an afterthought in evolutions primary funktion.
What classifies something as a mammals are three very simple demands, Warm blood, live young, lactation. No more really.
You speak of evolution, yet you keep arguing for Linnaean categorization. I do not think you have thought this through as much as you should have.

Evidenced in particular because platypuses lay eggs, rather than giving birth to live young; your second criteria is false, and anyone who is aware of the sexual qualities of female spotted hyenas ought to know enough zoological trivia to be aware of the oddities of the oldest living group of mammals.

However, like all mammals, the platypus has mammary glands, which are specific organs of lactation in mammals.

There are also certain skeletal attributes which I cannot remember which are used to group mammals in paleontology, where soft glands aren't always well preserved.

But the importance of evolution here is not simply the emergence of traits.

Mammals are grouped as mammals because they share common evolutionary ancestors which are responsible for their common mammary traits.

No alien species would have that unless, like the Loroi, they shared at least some biological connection with Earth.

Tsetse flies are not mammals, even though their milk is produced through similar genetic and biological processes to ours, fulfills similar function in the raising of youngsters which (as single births) are given high parental investment, and which contains similar chemicals. The fact that they are not warm blooded is not the deciding factor here; evolutionary ancestry is most of it, and the dissimilarities between their "milk" and our milk, and the organs which produce it (due to our dissimllar ancestors) only helps press the case. It tsetse flies were warm-blooded and vertebrate they still would not be mammals, even though a hypothetical endothermic freak-fly and the mammalian platypus both lay eggs.

Lactation itself seems unlikely to me to be a common trait across so much of space, because lactation does not simply refer to producing nutrients from your body, but to producing nutrients with lactose and several other chemicals I have forgotten; a very chemically different secretion ought to be given a different name. With a vastly different organ using vastly different cells to produce an entirely chemically different nutrient brew, as I would expect to occur amongst aliens, you would end up with something that isn't actually a mammal at all, and would likely work under different reproductive rules.

I recall hearing some mild debate over whether avian or mammalian lactation should be specifically named to disambiguate the processes; I have no doubt that alien "lactation" would only be called that by laymen or junior high level general science classes.

(As an aside, I'm one of those pedants who would argue that male reptilian genitals shouldn't be called penises even when they are phallic any more than pedipalps and other decidedly non-phallic male genitals should, and deserve their own term).

Jericho wrote:I'd be really shocked if there were not hundreds of these examples in loroi space.

As for the delrias being mammals. If your saying that they are not i can't argue with that given the fact that they are mammaloid not mammals (Insider). I don't know what difference they have that seperates them from mammals or if this is just because they are aliens but i think thats irrelevant.
I would assume that even if they had whatever vertebral structures and tooth morphology and mammary gland chemistries and all else they would have to have to be called mammals in the fossil record, still the certain absence of direct evolutionary common ancestry would be enough to warrant not calling them mammals.

I would also be very surprised if their young responded to the particular nutrient mixture that makes up mammal milk, and more surprised if that were made through an organ that was actually close enough to a mammary gland to warrant the comparison; even organs which produce chemically related substances on Earth, such as avian "milk," cannot be called mammaries.

The conditions you laid out were warm blood, which birds have, live young, which mammalian monotremes do not have and ought therefore be stricken from the argument, and lactation.

I doubt that you would argue that pigeons were mammals even if they did give birth to live young. As it stands, they fulfill two out of three of your categories, as do several species of mammal. Yet I sincerely doubt that your inevitability argument means you are saying that eventually pigeons will become mammals.

Taxonomy in general, the ways we subdivide and categorize life, is not really a great subject to talk about, because while categorizing things is useful and necessary, there are a lot of different ways people have come about making and grouping these categories, and not all of them are compatible, nor really necessarily useful (Linnaeus' categories, for instance, are no longer entirely useful), and everyone who holds one particular view acts perfectly logically with respect to their own personal axioms, yet sees everyone else's equally logical argument as nonsense because they don't understand the differences or causes of differences between their assumptions.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Solemn wrote: Multicellular life wasn't inevitable in my view. Much less any such highly specific function and arrangement of organs.
I disagree with you on this one but it involves a field of calculating that is far outside my pay-grade.
You speak of evolution, yet you keep arguing for Linnaean categorization. I do not think you have thought this through as much as you should have.

Evidenced in particular because platypuses lay eggs, rather than giving birth to live young; your second criteria is false, and anyone who is aware of the sexual qualities of female spotted hyenas ought to know enough zoological trivia to be aware of the oddities of the oldest living group of mammals.

However, like all mammals, the platypus has mammary glands, which are specific organs of lactation in mammals.

There are also certain skeletal attributes which I cannot remember which are used to group mammals in paleontology, where soft glands aren't always well preserved.

But the importance of evolution here is not simply the emergence of traits.

No alien species would have that unless, like the Loroi, they shared at least some biological connection with Earth.
I may be splitting hairs here but i was led to believe that the platypus belongs to it's own subset of mammals called Monotremes. This to me disqualifies them as true mammals and they belong to their own kind.
Mammals are grouped as mammals because they share common evolutionary ancestors which are responsible for their common mammary trait
This one you are going to have to help me with because i don't remember reading this anywhere else. Granted i'm no PH.D.

Lactation itself seems unlikely to me to be a common trait across so much of space, because lactation does not simply refer to producing nutrients from your body, but to producing nutrients with lactose and several other chemicals I have forgotten; a very chemically different secretion ought to be given a different name. With a vastly different organ using vastly different cells to produce an entirely chemically different nutrient brew, as I would expect to occur amongst aliens, you would end up with something that isn't actually a mammal at all, and would likely work under different reproductive rules.

I recall hearing some mild debate over whether avian or mammalian lactation should be specifically named to disambiguate the processes; I have no doubt that alien "lactation" would only be called that by laymen or junior high level general science classes.
This one i have a hard time understanding. What difference does it make if you say that an alien "lactates" if you can categories them in different kinds.
Inventing new words seems unnecessary to me if you have ones that work.
(As an aside, I'm one of those pedants who would argue that male reptilian genitals shouldn't be called penises even when they are phallic any more than pedipalps and other decidedly non-phallic male genitals should, and deserve their own term).
:D This one you have explain to me.
Jericho wrote:I'd be really shocked if there were not hundreds of these examples in loroi space.
I would assume that even if they had whatever vertebral structures and tooth morphology and mammary gland chemistries and all else they would have to have to be called mammals in the fossil record, still the certain absence of direct evolutionary common ancestry would be enough to warrant not calling them mammals.

I would also be very surprised if their young responded to the particular nutrient mixture that makes up mammal milk, and more surprised if that were made through an organ that was actually close enough to a mammary gland to warrant the comparison; even organs which produce chemically related substances on Earth, such as avian "milk," cannot be called mammaries.

The conditions you laid out were warm blood, which birds have, live young, which mammalian monotremes do not have and ought therefore be stricken from the argument, and lactation.

I doubt that you would argue that pigeons were mammals even if they did give birth to live young. As it stands, they fulfill two out of three of your categories, as do several species of mammal. Yet I sincerely doubt that your inevitability argument means you are saying that eventually pigeons will become mammals.
Of course not... My inevitability argument meant that mammals will arise from evolution inevitably because the laws of nature allows it. Sort of like playing roulette if you keep guessing one one colour sooner or later you will get that colour.
Taxonomy in general, the ways we subdivide and categorize life, is not really a great subject to talk about, because while categorizing things is useful and necessary, there are a lot of different ways people have come about making and grouping these categories, and not all of them are compatible, nor really necessarily useful (Linnaeus' categories, for instance, are no longer entirely useful),

But Linneus categories are still in use and they are useful. We just modify them after new information we recieve.
and everyone who holds one particular view acts perfectly logically with respect to their own personal axioms, yet sees everyone else's equally logical argument as nonsense because they don't understand the differences or causes of differences between their assumptions.
Why did that statement feel wierdly personal to me? :|

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keep it civil, people! Assume goodwill.
Jericho wrote: Why are they mammaloid and not mammals?
As far as I'm aware, our current taxonomic system is completely tied to our own biosphere; even if the Delrias had identical characteristics to mammals, they can't be classified as mammals because they are not directly related in any way to any Earth organism. I'm not sure what (if any) plans that taxonomists have to classify alien organisms, but I would guess that they will come up with completely new taxonomic names (many of which will probably be referential to Earth groups).
Jericho wrote: Are the delrias like spotted hyenas or lions dimorphically speaking? Do they lactate? Or are they born with teeth and are capable of devouring meat from the start?
The Delrias (and their Morat cousins) have many characteristics in common with mammals: they are warm-blooded, have fur, and give birth to live offspring. They do not lactate; during the developmental period in which the infant is not yet able to consume meat, it feeds on blood, either taken from a prey animal or dispensed directly from an adult (of either gender, through a specialized aperture). Individuals of both genders are large, muscular and aggressive, with the females tending to be slightly larger. In the Delrias, the size of females is variable, with some becoming particularly large and aggressive.
Jericho wrote:They have a warrior culture. Are there special rules for each gender or is it the same for both?
Delrias society is based on a clan system that is dominated by the females. Males are capable warriors and participate in social hierarchy, but by tradition males leave their birth clans upon reaching adulthood (as Delrias females prefer to mate with younger, unfamiliar males), and so are inevitably of lower rank within the foreign clans they end up in.

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Jericho wrote:I may be splitting hairs here but i was led to believe that the platypus belongs to it's own subset of mammals called Monotremes. This to me disqualifies them as true mammals and they belong to their own kind.

You are right that they are monotremes and wrong about them therefore not being true mammals.

Living non-monotremes belong to their own subset of mammals called Therians, both are grouped as Mammalia by modern science. To everyone who gets to decide how terms are used, they are true mammals, with non-Mammalia mammalomorphs being more of a Paleozoic Era concern.

Jericho wrote:This one you are going to have to help me with because i don't remember reading this anywhere else. Granted i'm no PH.D.

I am lazy, so I will instead direct you to the first relevant hit I got on google.

Who taught you otherwise?

Jericho wrote:What difference does it make if you say that an alien "lactates" if you can categories them in different kinds.
Inventing new words seems unnecessary to me if you have ones that work.

Lactation implies secretion of a specific substance. Minimally, lactose is involved. If a creature had external organs which secreted a black tar-like substance to nurture their young, which did not involve lactose at all, why would you call it lactation? Doing so would only mislead people. What is the threshold of difference from milk? Secretion without any lactose at all could hardly qualify, but if an alien being secreted a nutrient honey-like liquid with one part lactose per million, the result of random chemical interactions from a slightly different glucose the creature is actually concerned with producing, would that qualify? What if it involved a nutrient fluid containing 2% lactose, but that lactose was not involved in providing nutrition to the offspring, but was secreted as a poison for certain local parasites? An accidental use of superficially similar chemistry to perform very different function? The best solution to that sort of threshold problem is to deny it presence in the first place, creating more logical nomenclature to best describe what is actually going on. As long as we stick with misleading terminology, people are going to be misled.
Jericho wrote: This one you have explain to me.
Reptilian phalluses have several morphological differences from mammalian ones, due to their separate evolutionary history. As mammals, "penis" generally makes humans think of human genitals. Few people call snake hemipenes "penises" because the differences between the hemipene and the penis are very obvious, but with, for example, turtles, there's more contention. The term becomes misleading. "Phallus" is better, since it makes people think of the outer shape and function rather than the specifics of the mammalian organ.

I am not alone in thinking this.

Jericho wrote:Of course not... My inevitability argument meant that mammals will arise from evolution inevitably because the laws of nature allows it. Sort of like playing roulette if you keep guessing one one colour sooner or later you will get that colour.
Pigeons only lack one of the traits you require to call something a mammal. The laws of nature allow some series of mutations to eventually produce a pigeon descendant which gives birth to live young. The argument that alien life inevitably produces true mammals on alien worlds is the same as the argument that pigeons would eventually produce true mammals on ours given sufficient time, with the key difference that rather than starting from a position of exhibiting none of those traits, the way life on any world would at the point of its origin, the pigeon already exhibits the majority of your Linnaean phenotypical requirements. Your response does not seem to actually address what I said; should I restate the question in a clearer way?

Jericho wrote:But Linneus categories are still in use and they are useful. We just modify them after new information we recieve.
The terms are still in use.

The exclusively phenotypic premise he ran on is not.

Because that's misleading and unhelpful when dealing with the real world.

You are using the antiquated, unmodified definition of the term "mammal."

A question a philosophically inclined aquaintance of mine once asked was, "A word is a sound associated with a particular meaning, so words from different languages with the same sounds but very different definitions are considered different words. So when a word within one language radically changes its definition, does it become a different word?"

Whether it becomes a new word entirely or not, you cannot argue that it is still exactly the same word it was when Linnaeus used it.
Jericho wrote:Why did that statement feel wierdly personal to me?
It wasn't an attack on you, if that's what you're thinking.

It's just that I've had this sort of conversation before, and watched many similar ones from the sidelines, and it seems like they generally follow a pattern involving intelligent people who were educated on faulty premises.

I feel that there are a lot of problems with how biology is taught to the general public in the modern world. My own junior high school taught evolution in an almost Lamarckian manner when the subject came up, and very complex and ambiguous things, like the nature and definition of "species," which biologists cannot agree on, being passed to students as a strict and concrete ruleset with no problems, ambiguities etc...

This conversation is tied to several of my pet peeves, basically.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

My school system uses horrible outdated scientific material. Probably because Linneus is one of the few national prides we have left except for Nobel.

Pigeons only lack one of the traits you require to call something a mammal. The laws of nature allow some series of mutations to eventually produce a pigeon descendant which gives birth to live young. The argument that alien life inevitably produces true mammals on alien worlds is the same as the argument that pigeons would eventually produce true mammals on ours given sufficient time, with the key difference that rather than starting from a position of exhibiting none of those traits, the way life on any world would at the point of its origin, the pigeon already exhibits the majority of your Linnaean phenotypical requirements. Your response does not seem to actually address what I said; should I restate the question in a clearer way?
Yes please.

Jericho wrote:Why did that statement feel wierdly personal to me?
It wasn't an attack on you, if that's what you're thinking.

It's just that I've had this sort of conversation before, and watched many similar ones from the sidelines, and it seems like they generally follow a pattern involving intelligent people who were educated on faulty premises.

I feel that there are a lot of problems with how biology is taught to the general public in the modern world. My own junior high school taught evolution in an almost Lamarckian manner when the subject came up, and very complex and ambiguous things, like the nature and definition of "species," which biologists cannot agree on, being passed to students as a strict and concrete ruleset with no problems, ambiguities etc...

This conversation is tied to several of my pet peeves, basically.
:lol: Sorry for the confusion. It was a bad joke on my part. I felt so cocksure when i first posted that i was slightly taken aback by your response. Shows how much i know.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

What is the Perrein calendar like?
Don't delay, join today!

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Also, how can they be called Umiak if there's no <k> in Trade?
Don't delay, join today!