Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Hālian

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Hālian »

With what manner of instrument(s) was the Loroi Trade alphabet designed to be written?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Senanthes wrote:What's the Loroi take on racism? I know they don't like OTHER species, but do they have noticeable lines between their own ethnicities? Or have such details been subsumed by the greater concerns of the Empire?
There have been and continue to be ethnic divisions among the Loroi, but at present such concerns have been overshadowed by the currently struggle for the survival of the species. But there are Loroi ethnic minorities who sometimes feel (justly or unjustly) slighted.

As icekatze notes, the class division in Loroi society is probably of greater concern to most individuals than ethnicity (though a having rigid class systems hasn't prevented certain Earth cultures from also being intensely racist). The Login ethnic nations on Deinar often felt marginalized by the primarily Tadan and Barraid "first world" nations of Menelos and Zaral, and the Loroi of Taben sometimes complain about feeling like the junior partner of the alliance.
Carl Miller wrote:With what manner of instrument(s) was the Loroi Trade alphabet designed to be written?
Loroi Trade was adopted from ancient writings of the then-technologically-advanced Proto-Loroi (who the Loroi refer to as the Soia), and was typically written in early times with brushes. It's not clear what instruments the "designers" of the script had in mind.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Does a cursive version of the script exist, and if so what does it look like? Because the script doesn't look very conducive to being cursivified...
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Does a cursive version of the script exist, and if so what does it look like? Because the script doesn't look very conducive to being cursivified...
There are more "calligraphic" versions of the characters, but they're not "cursive" in the sense of being linked together.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

I don't find, why loroi use lighting parts of suits. Is this detectors?

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Alexandr Koori wrote:I don't find, why loroi use lighting parts of suits. Is this detectors?
Because it's stylish?
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:I don't find, why loroi use lighting parts of suits. Is this detectors?
Loroi ships have a lot of dark environments, and the lit rank tabs can help identify individuals and reduce the frequency of people walking into each other in low-lighting environments, especially when lights go out altogether... like say on a shuttle that's been hit by the EMP blast from an Umiak torpedo.

And they look cool.

discord

Post by discord »

arioch: and give you some minimum lighting in aforementioned dark situations, no need to carry a flash light for that situation.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

discord wrote:arioch: and give you some minimum lighting in aforementioned dark situations, no need to carry a flash light for that situation.
I can guess the suits can probably give a mix of terminator or predator helm vistion. The former is in the prototype phase for fire fighters to give them better situational awareness in dangerous citations (say a building on fire) in the same manner of a headsup display in First Person video game like Halo or Deus Ex: Human Revalution.

THe Predator mask allows the preds to see in different light spectrums. I can see it turning on night vision or infrared easily enough.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:
Loroi ships have a lot of dark environments, and the lit rank tabs can help identify individuals and reduce the frequency of people walking into each other in low-lighting environments, especially when lights go out altogether... like say on a shuttle that's been hit by the EMP blast from an Umiak torpedo.

And they look cool.

and that totally not an hint of what will happen next.... no really, it wont happen.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote:

And they look cool.

and that totally not an hint of what will happen next.... no really, it wont happen.
well you never know, it may happen in the current chapter or another one. you can never tell ;)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If the shuttle does get boarded, I wonder if Fireblade could capture the boarding ship by herself. :lol:

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

If the shuttle does get boarded, I wonder if Fireblade could capture the boarding ship by herself. :lol:
na she would probably just blow it all up in the process

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
icekatze wrote:hi hi

na she would probably just blow it all up in the process
which would cause a whole bunch of problems, Fireblade TK abilities have modes, normal and uber strong IIRC. Not a good idea in an enclosed space, plus most ships in outsider if board auto-destruct so bad either way. But cool idea
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

ok so i remember some where in this thread something about cats being psychic can anyone give me a refresher.

Philly

Post by Philly »

So we know that Terrans use Fusion power with direct energy harvesting methods. Somehow though the Loroi use anti-matter reactors? I have a hard time believing that they can generate the necessary quantities for a starship.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Philly wrote:So we know that Terrans use Fusion power with direct energy harvesting methods. Somehow though the Loroi use anti-matter reactors? I have a hard time believing that they can generate the necessary quantities for a starship.
All you need is a beltscoop.

IE, a magnetic harvester in a planet's Van Allen Belts that hoovers up the antimatter that gets generated there. The only difficulty is storage, but I have no problem believing the Loroi could have solved that problem.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:ok so i remember some where in this thread something about cats being psychic can anyone give me a refresher.
We were only joking. Or, at least, I was.
Philly wrote:So we know that Terrans use Fusion power with direct energy harvesting methods. Somehow though the Loroi use anti-matter reactors? I have a hard time believing that they can generate the necessary quantities for a starship.
Loroi engines use a matter-annihilation reaction, but they don't use antimatter. Instead, they use a fuel called taimat (also known as "Type-A fuel"), which is a form of exotic matter with properties similar to Helium-4. Taimat is unstable and can be induced to decay on command, which causes a matter-annihilation reaction with a yield similar to what you would expect with matter-antimatter reaction. Taimat is less expensive to create and easier to store than antimatter.

The Loroi and other major combatants do sometimes use antimatter in weaponry (in particular, it makes a nasty warhead for dropping on planets).

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

Arioch wrote:
wasp609 wrote:ok so i remember some where in this thread something about cats being psychic can anyone give me a refresher.
We were only joking. Or, at least, I was.
Loroi engines use a matter-annihilation reaction, but they don't use antimatter. Instead, they use a fuel called taimat (also known as "Type-A fuel"), which is a form of exotic matter with properties similar to Helium-4. Taimat is unstable and can be induced to decay on command, which causes a matter-annihilation reaction with a yield similar to what you would expect with matter-antimatter reaction. Taimat is less expensive to create and easier to store than antimatter.

The Loroi and other major combatants do sometimes use antimatter in weaponry (in particular, it makes a nasty warhead for dropping on planets).
aww i was hoping it was true. anyway so they like chocolate and probably cats and dogs, so what else would the loroi like form earth.

Philly

Post by Philly »

Arioch wrote:

Wow, that flew over my head there for a minute. Exotic matter, from my understanding, is matter that can exist, but usually doesn't and it tends to have unique properties not normally found in other things.

Exactly what is matter-annihilation? When matter decides to commit explosive suicide?