Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Aremnant

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Aremnant »

...While the size of a chemical slugthrower really only affects stability and accuracy (a .50 caliber bullet will, in theory, do the same amount of damage whether fired from a cannon or a handgun...)
This is not entirely true- a longer barrel means that the expanding gasses in a firearm spend more time pushing the bullet, increasing the velocity, as shown in this data I just grabbed from a quick google search:
"The 13.5-inch length could propel a 168 grain Hornady TAP round at an average velocity of 2390 fps (728.472 m/s), which is hardly slow. That is only a decrease of around 315 fps (96.012m/s) from the 26 inch length..."
The round is a 168 grain .308, or .0108862169 kg. Given KE=1/2mv^2, the difference in the kinetic energy between rounds was roughly 50.17622 kJ. Admittedly, this is not much compared to the total KE of the 13.5 inch barrel (roughly 2888.5 kJ), but the change in velocity does affect the amount of lead required and any increase in power is welcome, even if it is small.

Other than that, thanks for the explanation on the particle beam weapons :D .

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Fair point, but in your example, doubling the length of the barrel results in an increase in kinetic energy of less than 2%. If that were the only benefit to a longer weapon (which, in the case of chemical slugthrowers, it isn't), I think choosing the shorter, handier one would be a no-brainer.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Have loroi fingerprints?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Have loroi fingerprints?
Yes.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

Aremnant wrote:
...While the size of a chemical slugthrower really only affects stability and accuracy (a .50 caliber bullet will, in theory, do the same amount of damage whether fired from a cannon or a handgun...)
This is not entirely true- a longer barrel means that the expanding gasses in a firearm spend more time pushing the bullet, increasing the velocity, as shown in this data I just grabbed from a quick google search:
"The 13.5-inch length could propel a 168 grain Hornady TAP round at an average velocity of 2390 fps (728.472 m/s), which is hardly slow. That is only a decrease of around 315 fps (96.012m/s) from the 26 inch length..."
The round is a 168 grain .308, or .0108862169 kg. Given KE=1/2mv^2, the difference in the kinetic energy between rounds was roughly 50.17622 kJ. Admittedly, this is not much compared to the total KE of the 13.5 inch barrel (roughly 2888.5 kJ), but the change in velocity does affect the amount of lead required and any increase in power is welcome, even if it is small.

Other than that, thanks for the explanation on the particle beam weapons :D .
Arioch wrote:Fair point, but in your example, doubling the length of the barrel results in an increase in kinetic energy of less than 2%. If that were the only benefit to a longer weapon (which, in the case of chemical slugthrowers, it isn't), I think choosing the shorter, handier one would be a no-brainer.
A point to note is most land combat takes place at fairly close ranges, 500 meters or less. At that range a pistol is more or less useless, but you don't need a rifle with a really long barrel to be effective. Something shorter is preferred as it is lighter than a longer barreled rifle and is accurate out as far as it needs to be. There's a reason why armies went from rifles almost as tall as the soldier and large heavy bullets to rifles like the M16 and the like and smaller, lighter bullets. Rifles with barrels long enough for decent accuracy, but light enough to use easily, and carry a decent amount of ammunition. Which is another consideration. With a rapid fire weapon, on a modern battlefield a soldier needs enough ammunition for it to be useable. A rifle with a long heavy barrel is going to cut down on the ammunition a soldier can carry and still be effective in a firefight.

nac87

Post by nac87 »

A point to note is most land combat takes place at fairly close ranges, 500 meters or less. At that range a pistol is more or less useless, but you don't need a rifle with a really long barrel to be effective. Something shorter is preferred as it is lighter than a longer barreled rifle and is accurate out as far as it needs to be. There's a reason why armies went from rifles almost as tall as the soldier and large heavy bullets to rifles like the M16 and the like and smaller, lighter bullets. Rifles with barrels long enough for decent accuracy, but light enough to use easily, and carry a decent amount of ammunition. Which is another consideration. With a rapid fire weapon, on a modern battlefield a soldier needs enough ammunition for it to be useable. A rifle with a long heavy barrel is going to cut down on the ammunition a soldier can carry and still be effective in a firefight.
You are absolutely right, I couldn't have said it better myself. When I was first in the 27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (which I will not go any deeper than that as to where I was) our Company had 5 M9 handguns (this was 2007) but by 2009 it had been determined by the Army that dispute a wider deployment of handguns among the troops in a open battlefield scenario they made little difference and were mostly useless weight and so our company lost 4 of the M9s.

However one of the best moves was the wide deployment of the M-4 rifle, it was shorter and lighter and generally a convenient weapon. There was worry about the shorter barrel leading to reduced range but the loss in range was very minor and even the M-4's max range was beyond the range where firefights typically occur. Man sometimes I do miss old E-69...
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Against Umiak hardtroops, I would want to have a 50cal at least. :P

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Armor-piercing, of course. And ideally in a very high-powered rifle. You're not going to be able to kill it at point blank with a gun that can't kill a watermelon from three miles away. :P
Don't delay, join today!

nac87

Post by nac87 »

There is unfortunately SO many issues with using .50 as your standard ammunition first of which is weight and portability of the weapon, Basically .50 BMG is WAY to heavy for a soldier to carry more than a few dozen rounds on him and the weapon would have to be large enough to fire said rounds and unfortunately the larger the rifle the less flexible it is in a battlefield scenario.

Also "AP" rounds is a bit of a media fallacy started by BATF classifications of certain heavy cored rounds and some imported assault rifle rounds (they even attributed this to the Russian 5.56X39 which isn't even a high velocity round). Generally .50 BMG is the smallest size you will find "AP" ammo in before you start hitting large crew-served items.

*Yes I am sure someone will have knowledge of some obscure round that I've never heard of before that is the AP bullet to end all AP bullets, however I am lending my practical military service knowledge here so unless the magic bullet is a standard issue with someone it means there is some reason it is not a magic bullet.*

Also just because bugs have Chitin does not necessarily mean they are armored it just to give them a bady structure with their lack of bones, If it was too hard they wouldn't be able to move even bird feathers contain chitin and they can be pretty soft.
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Actually, the Umiak hardtroops are definitely armored. Hardtroops being Cyborg killing machines that are both fearsome and plentiful, though not nearly as subtle as a Loroi Teidar. (Loroi Teidar being forces of nature on the battlefield, but are very rare.)
In particular, the Umiak hardtroops will have hard armor that's three or four inches thick in some places.
First priority when I'm picking out a weapon is getting something that will actually harm my opponent. I can worry about how hard it is to carry after that. It doesn't really matter what the media says or doesn't say, they don't decide how the laws of physics work.

discord

Post by discord »

nac: and i got a crazy idea of making a assault rifle sized weapon(for greater capacity and ease of 40mm integration) chambered for 5.7 FN(which is basically a smaller 5.56 NATO), it would be powerful enough for the basic infantry rifle, and light enough for sidearm and would do wonders for logistics since the troops would basically carry one type(well a few more counting 40mm) of rounds.

yes, it would lack punch to go through heavier stuff, but that is what you got the 40mm under barrel launcher for after all.

scary part, there was a rather large movement in the military to do just that when it first came out.

however for umiak hard troops, anything under 50cal is just a waste of time and likely to piss em off, to be honest i would prefer something based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_IWS_2000 in that case, probably adding in ETC in the mix too, for even greater velocity.
umiak hard troops, think some kind of cybernetic armored monstrosity, kinda like an IFV on legs.
and why it is not a magic bullet? size, weight, recoil is probably real bad and finally cost, plain and simple, new type of ammo, new factory, really expensive.
but it is pretty awesome.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It may be important to note that the unmodified Umiak is accustomed to a low gravity homeworld, and will have some difficulty in general on a 1G+ world. If you are fighting Umiak troops, they are almost certainly going to be genetically modified, and probably cybernetically modified too. This is a group that routinely expends hundreds if not thousands of total matter conversion reactors in combat, which requires a mind boggling industrial capacity.

If I were going into a fight with an Umiak ground force anywhere, I would expect to face hardtroops of some quantity. I would also suspect that the Loroi have had plenty of time to design weapons of sufficient power to combat such foes. Humans might need to bring their best, but we've already got some big guns, so at least we don't have to worry about lacking the capability to fight.

I suspect that a human squad trying to take down a Teidar would probably want to try their best to catch her unawares, before she has a chance to ready her telekinetic death.

nac87

Post by nac87 »

You'll get no arguments from me on the 5.7 front, it is a excellent round and it's even better than the 5.56X45 at punching through body armor, NATO dosn't use it because Germany didn't like the treat the FN 5.7 posed to it's military arms industry as a replace to many conventional rounds.

If we are gonna talk about the umiak hard troops then we are arguing the wrong point, to fight a IFV you use another armored vehicle or gunships or both. (or at smallest a ATGM)
"Last in, First out"
-Nac87 in "how I roll"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Well, infantry exist in the Outsider universe, and the Outsider universe is ostensibly what this thread is about, so I figure it is a point worth considering. Terrans are not going to be able to out-produce the Umiak on an industrial level. If the answer to the threat is to make more, bigger things than them, then the Terrans have already lost. (They're not trying to fight WWII again here, this is the future.)

As I said, I would want a 50 cal, at least. A portable missile launcher would make me feel a lot more comfortable about my chances of survival. If I were going up against a Teidar, I might want something that explodes and fragments at a given range, cause the first shot will likely be the only useful shot I get. (Assuming I get that far at all.)

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

nac87 wrote:You are absolutely right, I couldn't have said it better myself. When I was first in the 27th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (which I will not go any deeper than that as to where I was) our Company had 5 M9 handguns (this was 2007) but by 2009 it had been determined by the Army that dispute a wider deployment of handguns among the troops in a open battlefield scenario they made little difference and were mostly useless weight and so our company lost 4 of the M9s.

However one of the best moves was the wide deployment of the M-4 rifle, it was shorter and lighter and generally a convenient weapon. There was worry about the shorter barrel leading to reduced range but the loss in range was very minor and even the M-4's max range was beyond the range where firefights typically occur. Man sometimes I do miss old E-69...
Conversely, I've heard that in Afghanistan the insurgents are intentionally engaging from longer distances now because some of their old Soviet equipment is chambered in 7.62x54r, which outranges the M4 by a considerable margin. Of course shooting at that range is difficult for anyone, but if the stories are true...
nac87 wrote:*Yes I am sure someone will have knowledge of some obscure round that I've never heard of before that is the AP bullet to end all AP bullets, however I am lending my practical military service knowledge here so unless the magic bullet is a standard issue with someone it means there is some reason it is not a magic bullet.*
Feast your eyes!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saboted_li ... penetrator

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Carl Miller wrote:Armor-piercing, of course. And ideally in a very high-powered rifle. You're not going to be able to kill it at point blank with a gun that can't kill a watermelon from three miles away. :P
3 miles away? Isn't that way over the horizon (of Earth) for about all combat circumstances? :P

discord

Post by discord »

ice: against teidar, hyper velocity long range sniper ftw. first shot is the only one with a reasonable chance, and the farther away you are the better the odds of the target not noticing you.
or heavy artillery strike.

Southern Cross

Post by Southern Cross »

Or use lasers (at least to blind the Teidar first) plus robot weaponry...

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

So I have been wondering, Arioch what made you decide to make the Loroi not want to share meals with Alex? Communal eating is a very big part of the human experience, historically and politically.

See It's ok to be Smart for details: "Why Do We Cook?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpfwu__PF7Y

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:So I have been wondering, Arioch what made you decide to make the Loroi not want to share meals with Alex? Communal eating is a very big part of the human experience, historically and politically.
Communal eating is significant to the Loroi as well, but males and females are divided into different segments of society, and do not share a sense of family. There are sets of taboos that govern how males and females interact, and the eating thing is just one of them.

The idea came from reading about the Maasai, who also have a gender-segregated warrior society. The male warriors are not supposed to eat in front of the females.
Grayhome wrote:See It's ok to be Smart for details: "Why Do We Cook?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpfwu__PF7Y
Another element that he didn't mention is that the muscles that power those large ape and early hominid jaws also restrict skull growth; as we cooked food and made it easier to chew, our jaws and jaw muscles grew smaller, which eased the restriction on our braincases getting bigger, and the extra nutrition helped power that growing brain. And the cycle fed in on itself.

As an aside, the Maasai don't traditionally cook their food; their diet was mainly blood and raw milk from their cattle, neither of which really gains huge nutritional benefits from being cooked. So there's more than one way to do it.