Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Alexandr Koori

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Alexandr Koori »

If loroi have taboo on touch, how they relate to massage(medical)? And does they have telepathic contact in surgery?

Whether there is a telepathic white noise?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:If loroi have taboo on touch, how they relate to massage(medical)? And does they have telepathic contact in surgery?
The Loroi avoid casual touching, but they will obviously permit it when it is required for something important (like medical treatment). But yes, any skin-to-skin contact will make a telepathic connection.

In surgery, a) most of the work is being done by machines, and b) one would hope that the patient is unconscious.
Alexandr Koori wrote:Whether there is a telepathic white noise?
Yes, one mental discipline all Loroi must learn is to screen out the constant telepathic babble.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I would imagine that field medics likely need to have even stronger mental constitutions than they do for humans.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

How would the loroi react to more exotic pets such as parrots, sugar gliders and ferrets.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:How would the loroi react to more exotic pets such as parrots, sugar gliders and ferrets.
I think all Earth pets would seem equally exotic to an alien.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

Arioch wrote:
wasp609 wrote:How would the loroi react to more exotic pets such as parrots, sugar gliders and ferrets.

I wonder if any of them will be like a tribble to the Loroi (ie react to them in a hostile manner and make them uncomfortable).

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

Zakharra wrote:
Arioch wrote:

I wonder if any of them will be like a tribble to the Loroi (ie react to them in a hostile manner and make them uncomfortable).
something like a jerbal or a hamster. i would love to see a loroi arguing with an owl.

" I do not understand it says who even after i answer, does it not listen."

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Gerbil.
Don't delay, join today!

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

I wonder if the loroi would like paintball or nerf.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:
wasp609 wrote:i just had a random thought do loroi have anything like lingerie.
Underwear, yes. Lingerie, not really.
Well i think you forgot something here
Arioch wrote: I think that once you have the ability to grow or construct tissues and organs based on your own genes, the need to use other people's parts (which your immune system will try to reject) will all but disappear.
The island? not sure i want to live to that
Arioch wrote: There is a particular Human food practice that some Loroi will find disturbing, but I'll leave that to the story.
ill take a guess and say: Speaking with your mouth full?
fredgiblet wrote:I would imagine that field medics likely need to have even stronger mental constitutions than they do for humans.
that raise a usefull point for human, since we (so far) are mute to the loroi, having a human medic stabilize an injuried soldier would be less awkward/painfull than having a loroi medic try to treat a wound while being shout in her head: IT FRAKING HURT!!!! each time she touch the victim
Zakharra wrote: I wonder if any of them will be like a tribble to the Loroi (ie react to them in a hostile manner and make them uncomfortable).
[/quote]

wasn't there a discussion here about how cat were telepathic creature and purring was actually a hypnotic white noise?

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote: There is a particular Human food practice that some Loroi will find disturbing, but I'll leave that to the story.
ill take a guess and say: Speaking with your mouth full?
I had a similar thought occur to me.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote: I think that once you have the ability to grow or construct tissues and organs based on your own genes, the need to use other people's parts (which your immune system will try to reject) will all but disappear.
It appears that by poking the right genes at the right time, it will be possible to grow tissues or even organs in a vat of nutrients. They're doing tests right now growing tissues on a 3D-printed sugar lattice framework, and it seems to be going well. Morality issues aside, this would be much cheaper and much quicker than raising clone humans for pick-n-pull parts.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

With any technology the potential for great good and for great evil can be created. Jeffery Dalmer used a low tech method for his bombings, but so due a number of men and women when they create fireworks.

Musical instruments and sampling has created some of the greatest performers ever to grace the human race.

-It has also Created Justin Beiber.

The internet has allowed us to conect share information, and be up to date like never before.

We have Trolls and flame wars.

The automobile has been the main connecting force in travle for much of the last century.

I am still more likely to be killed by some idiot not paying attention behind the wheel then I am by shark attack, plain crash, or taste puffer fish

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

saint of m wrote:With any technology the potential for great good and for great evil can be created. Jeffery Dalmer used a low tech method for his bombings, but so due a number of men and women when they create fireworks.
Who is Jeffery Dalmer? There was a serial killer named Jeffrey Dahmer, but he didn't use bombs. Are you thinking of the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski)?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:
Karst45 wrote:
It appears that by poking the right genes at the right time, it will be possible to grow tissues or even organs in a vat of nutrients. They're doing tests right now growing tissues on a 3D-printed sugar lattice framework, and it seems to be going well. Morality issues aside, this would be much cheaper and much quicker than raising clone humans for pick-n-pull parts.
true. 3D printer are awesome, they even use it to print simple house or food. We are only one step behind the startrek Food Repiclator

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote:
wasp609 wrote:i just had a random thought do loroi have anything like lingerie.
Underwear, yes. Lingerie, not really.
Well i think you forgot something here
and here I was hoping that was forgotten, silly me. as for underware I thing they were a sport bra type or ones that would allow for a good amount of support
NuclearIceCream wrote:
Roeben wrote:Burping will freak them out, I don't doubt.
I will fall out of my chair if that turns out to be disturbing.
I doubt it, given the similarity to humanity own digestive system. It would be pretty common, unless their a cultural negativity to it as NA treat it.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

NOMAD wrote:and here I was hoping that was forgotten, silly me. as for underware I thing they were a sport bra type or ones that would allow for a good amount of support
Well i doubt they would need as much support as some of our women since "mammary augmentation" may not be something loroi undergo. and being quite athletic... well actually them being active may create a need for more support even if they are not DD cup

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

i remember a concept of the empress and she had really long hair, does longer hair relate to a higher place in loroi society or is that a personal preference.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:i remember a concept of the empress and she had really long hair, does longer hair relate to a higher place in loroi society or is that a personal preference.
Yes, wearing hair long is a warrior custom, and longer hair is a sign of seniority and status. Warrior girls grow their hair long as children, but then it is shorn off as part of the ritual of graduation into adulthood; having short hair (as many of the young Loroi characters in the story do) is a sign of being a newbie. Wearing one's hair impractically long is a sign of seniority; most of the very high-ranking officers you will see (Greywind, Silvermist, Sunfury, Duskcrown) have hair that reaches down to the floor.

Stillstorm has unusually short hair for someone of her age and rank; she cut it off as a symbol of her grief after the catastrophic collapse of the Semoset offensive, in which she was seriously injured.

Civilian females keep their hair cropped very short or even shaved.

Username

Post by Username »

Civilian females keep their hair cropped very short or even shaved.
:shock:

Are we talking polished Bruce Willis chrome dome shaved or quarter inch shaved ? :lol:

(sorry for the odd question I just had to ask)
I find the concept of a bald loroi to be rather amusing.