Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by dragoongfa »

Razor One wrote:
Suederwind wrote: Indeed, a very good show.
Another interessting Anime/Manga I would recommend, that goes in a similar direction is "Toward the Terra". Not sure if you know this one Razor One.
I think I've heard of it before, it's deep in my backlog in any case, so I'll get around to watching it eventually, it sounds interesting so I just need to work through to it.
Just finished Shinsekai Yori, a good show overall but with a huge, HUGE plothole for an ending resolution that nearly destroys everything. Will start Toward the Terra soon.

EDIT: Actually the whole plot has a plot hole but only if one does the math.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

dragoongfa wrote:
Razor One wrote:
Suederwind wrote: Indeed, a very good show.
Another interessting Anime/Manga I would recommend, that goes in a similar direction is "Toward the Terra". Not sure if you know this one Razor One.
I think I've heard of it before, it's deep in my backlog in any case, so I'll get around to watching it eventually, it sounds interesting so I just need to work through to it.
Just finished Shinsekai Yori, a good show overall but with a huge, HUGE plothole for an ending resolution that nearly destroys everything. Will start Toward the Terra soon.

EDIT: Actually the whole plot has a plot hole but only if one does the math.
What plot hole/s are you referring to? Been a while since I last watched it but I can't recall anything too egregious.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

It's a little off-topic so I don't mind if you want to split it into an other thread:

The two plot holes:
SpoilerShow
First the ending one, it's how they killed the Queerat Messiah, in essence the child thought that it was a queerat and when it realized that it killed a queerat it triggered the genetic kill switch that all humans have in them.

The plot hole is that the child already knowingly attacked and helped destroy a Queerat army made of tenths of thousands of Queerats, how come the kill switch wasn't triggered then? It could be that the child only destroyed the weapons of the army (something that is not made clear while the description of the dead queerats and their mutilations is parallel to PK attacks), however even a hostile action against a queerat should trigger an adverse reaction from the kill switch, how much an action that lead to the brutal murder and mutilation of tens of thousands of unarmed queerats. Hell the protagonist's own kill switch nearly got her after the child's death because she knew that the action she took would lead to said child's death.

Second plot hole and the one that nearly broke my suspension of disbelief:

There aren't enough children in the village for a sustainable population even before counting the culling. To have a sustainable population each woman needs to give birth 2.1 times before hitting menopause. The problem is that almost every family depicted is a lone child family, hell the protagonist is a lone child because her older sister was culled.

Then there is the culling itself which worsens everything in regards to a rapidly declining population. I think that the director didn't think about that as he tried to make the families look like the ones from contemporary Japan. Considering the setting and story they should be more like medieval Japan's where each woman had on average more than 5 births but due to child mortality the number fell to 2 or 3 surviving children per family which offered a stable population with a predictably stable growth.

This could be seen as nitpicking but I think that the story itself would be better served if there were far more children and their number visibly decreased as time went by (a plot hint for the viewer to notice), with the main cast not noticing it until they were hit by their own loses and confusion due to their tampered memories.

As the story stands now the humans are committing their own societal suicide and their society should have collapsed long before the time the story took place.

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

I think splitting at this point would break the flow, but we are off topic, so I'll start up a new thread and we can carry the discussion there.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Arioch, your post in the WIP thread gave me a question:

How do the Loroi with their "no-touching" society do with the simply things of pedicure, manicure, hairstylist, and similar, when touching is a taboo due to the telepathic contact initiated by it?
I'm pretty sure that the Loroi enjoy being pampered for a well-textured skin, nice nails, ...; but that does not really work when touching is to be avoided.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:Arioch, your post in the WIP thread gave me a question:

How do the Loroi with their "no-touching" society do with the simply things of pedicure, manicure, hairstylist, and similar, when touching is a taboo due to the telepathic contact initiated by it?
I'm pretty sure that the Loroi enjoy being pampered for a well-textured skin, nice nails, ...; but that does not really work when touching is to be avoided.
I suspect that they just put up with the sensation when they have to. Came to think of it, mundane work seem to be done by the entry rank people from each cast. Do not be surprised to find Mizol operatives working as hairdressers. Keep control of your thoughts! :P

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

There's three possible solutions to that.

The first is technological. Gloves. Easy.

The second is cultural. Have someone you wouldn't mind touching you do what needs to be done, and return the favour, unless you're of higher rank. Since Diral's are usually kept together, there would be fairly close bonds between Loroi of various units. It's only Outsiders (:P) like Fireblade, since everyone she could possibly have been close to got killed, or other exceptional Loroi that get assigned where they're needed that might have trouble, in which case gloves are the solution.

That aside, a third solution might be that there is a caste or subcaste dedicated to the kind of work that requires physical touch, from pedicures to massage and anything else that may require physical contact. Touching with them would be socially acceptable within certain limitations and restrictions, and likely a requirement that they keep what they take in from their clients confidential in the same way a psychologist or counselor must respect patient confidentiality, with similar or worse repercussions for breaking that trust.
SpoilerShow

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

The answer is simple: whenever a good looking female needs help with something that requires touching, she will seek and find out a male :mrgreen:

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Does Loroi allowed to encounter with males for a reproduction purpose only, or can they encounter just for a pleasure too?
Outsider in Russian

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Hey Arioch I was thinking, all tech hardware and software nowadays comes with built in instructions and schematics explaining it's purpose, how to use it, it's manufacturer, date of production, etc. Shouldn't the artifacts left by the Soia have the same built in instructions? This is but a moment's musing, but I could see the Soia tchnology being equipped with sophisticated AI and holographic projectors or even a direct neural interface to explain how to use the device and to answer any questions the user could pose.

Do the Soia artifacts react to any particular species, sentient or none, in any way? Switch on, shut down, start up, initiate reboot, or even give the blue screen of death?

Funny what-if scenario came to mind: Alex comes into contact with a Soia Artifact, it immediately starts screaming (verbally and telepathically) "DEMON! DEMON! DEMON! DEMON! DEMON!"

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:Does Loroi allowed to encounter with males for a reproduction purpose only, or can they encounter just for a pleasure too?
Under peacetime population restrictions, most low-ranking Loroi, including nearly all civilians, will only have enough encounters to become pregnant with the desired number of children. Higher-ranking warriors are awarded additional encounters as a sort of reward for exemplary service, and though they are likely to become pregnant as a result, the pleasure factor is as important. If you are a Loroi of high enough status that you can arrange an encounter for yourself at will, then it can be for any purpose you like, and you might (gasp) even use some kind of contraceptive to avoid becoming pregnant.
Grayhome wrote:Hey Arioch I was thinking, all tech hardware and software nowadays comes with built in instructions and schematics explaining it's purpose, how to use it, it's manufacturer, date of production, etc. Shouldn't the artifacts left by the Soia have the same built in instructions? This is but a moment's musing, but I could see the Soia technology being equipped with sophisticated AI and holographic projectors or even a direct neural interface to explain how to use the device and to answer any questions the user could pose.
A few do, but most of even those rare artifacts that are still in working condition have lost most of their data; it's either corrupted or entirely blank. Most everyday items did not have firmware or power systems designed to last a quarter of a million years, and most of the Soia-era population sites from which such artifacts are usually found were subjected to bombardments that presumably included hard radiation and electromagnetic pulse that made matters worse. This means that some physically intact artifacts may have lost some or all of their function due to loss of data or software.

Those artifacts that are fully or mostly functional tend to be hardened, often military items. The UI tends to strictly utilitarian without elaborate help or tutorial systems, and aside from serial numbers there is as little information about the systems that produced it as possible (presumably for security reasons). There are a few artifacts with working speech systems, but these are very rare, and probably not something Alex is likely to run across.

And important thing to consider about Soia-era artifacts is that although they appear to have been produced by a TL14+ technology, most seem to have been made for use by much less-advanced client races. They're export material, like the industrial-age axe heads and mirrors made for sale to stone-age cultures.
Grayhome wrote:Do the Soia artifacts react to any particular species, sentient or none, in any way? Switch on, shut down, start up, initiate reboot, or even give the blue screen of death?
There are a few devices (such as amplifiers) that respond only to those with telepathic abilities, but most devices would have no way of determining biological information about its operator. And there are no known devices of any kind that can independently transmit a telepathic signal.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch wrote:
SVlad wrote:Does Loroi allowed to encounter with males for a reproduction purpose only, or can they encounter just for a pleasure too?
Under peacetime population restrictions, most low-ranking Loroi, including nearly all civilians, will only have enough encounters to become pregnant with the desired number of children.
And what is the average number of children Loroi have? With their women ration they need only 1-2 childes per woman to maintain population. And with 400 years lifespan it means approximately one encounter in 300 hundred years. For males situation would be just a bit better - one encounter in 30 years. And, because of the uneven distribution of males, most males wouldn't have sex for decades.
Even if each Loroi woman would have 10 childes per life, numbers wouldn't be much better. One encounter per year for popular males, and one in decade for other.
Outsider in Russian

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

If Loroi fertility is anywhere close the human one then it would take more than a few encounters for a female to be successfully impregnated.

Siber

Post by Siber »

It's worth remembering that a 400 year lifespan doesn't mean they're immune to accidental death and such, and while their medical tech probably makes that less common a longer lifetime also means more opportunities. And chances to live close to that length of time without seeing a major war have been pretty rare.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

dragoongfa wrote:If Loroi fertility is anywhere close the human one then it would take more than a few encounters for a female to be successfully impregnated.
By "Encounter" I meant the whole dating interaction between female and male, not just a single copulation.
All sexual access to males is restricted by law and must be arranged through various kinds of formal matchmaking; a male and female can't just meet at the mall and decide to have a date.
Insider: Loroi
Outsider in Russian

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Loroi males must have a busy time at the frontline systems. Military casualty rates are way up, and the surviving combat veterans after each in-the-field deployment likely are eligible to quality time with a male.

Which makes me wonder: Arioch, does a "host" of males follow the fleet/army deployments in the Seren, Tinza, -and Maiad sectors? Like medieval/renaissance armies on Earth had a whole camp of women (and their children) at their trail?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:And what is the average number of children Loroi have? With their women ration they need only 1-2 childes per woman to maintain population. And with 400 years lifespan it means approximately one encounter in 300 hundred years. For males situation would be just a bit better - one encounter in 30 years. And, because of the uneven distribution of males, most males wouldn't have sex for decades.
Even if each Loroi woman would have 10 childes per life, numbers wouldn't be much better. One encounter per year for popular males, and one in decade for other.
An average number wouldn't be very descriptive, because the number varies by individual greatly according to gender, class, circumstance, lifespan, and era. A Loroi civilian female might have zero offspring, and a high-ranking Loroi male might have many thousands.

Female Loroi fertility declines with age. A week-long series of mating encounters might result in pregnancy rates as high as 80% for very young Loroi females in their reproductive prime, but for a female Loroi over 50 (who constitute the majority of the population with sufficient status to earn recurring time with a male), fertility rates drop to something closer to recognizable human levels. Male fertility also diminishes, though to a lesser degree, as they age.

Most female Loroi -- even in peacetime -- won't live past age 150 or 200, and those that die before then are likely to die very young.

Even in times of peace, the Loroi population is always growing; there is usually need for growth somewhere, and so even males in established areas that have capped growth will be matched with females brought in from frontier areas. And for the Loroi, times of true peace are few and far between.

Even though the population can theoretically be held static through this access control system, Loroi proclivity and longevity still exert enormous pressure for growth. In times when population growth was curtailed, the males were still kept very busy, but by an ever smaller percentage of the female population -- mostly older, high-ranking warrior females. In extreme cases, the top-ranking females might have a male exclusively assigned to her, who she visited every day, and she might even go so far as to use contraception. The more common this became, the more imminent the end of such restrictions would become, as more and more of the high-ranking females would inevitably become hedonistic and/or attached to their males, their subordinates and opponents (who wanted reproductive rights for themselves) would resent this and recognize it as a weakness, and a conflict of Homeric proportions would ensue. However, such a hypothetical situation of zero population growth has not been widely in effect for more than a thousand years; since then the Loroi have always been at war or actively expanding, or both.
GeoModder wrote:Loroi males must have a busy time at the frontline systems. Military casualty rates are way up, and the surviving combat veterans after each in-the-field deployment likely are eligible to quality time with a male.

Which makes me wonder: Arioch, does a "host" of males follow the fleet/army deployments in the Seren, Tinza, -and Maiad sectors? Like medieval/renaissance armies on Earth had a whole camp of women (and their children) at their trail?
The females are usually brought to the males, rather than the other way around, as part of leave.

majorminor

Post by majorminor »

Since the insider says potentially 400 years, is that a lifespan that only the select few have a shot at?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

majorminor wrote:Since the insider says potentially 400 years, is that a lifespan that only the select few have a shot at?
Yes. Humans today can potentially live 100 years or more, but most don't live past age 50. Longevity issues aside, the longer you are alive, the greater the probability of death due to accident or violence.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
majorminor wrote:Since the insider says potentially 400 years, is that a lifespan that only the select few have a shot at?
Yes. Humans today can potentially live 100 years or more, but most don't live past age 50. Longevity issues aside, the longer you are alive, the greater the probability of death due to accident or violence.
Considering the adventurous nature of a warrior society, how many deaths in peaceful periods can be attributed to either cause?

Note: I would consider someone pissing off a Teidar to be something akin to suicide.