Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

Roeben wrote:
I don't think Loroi music has the same roots in storytelling, and so I don't think they are quite as plugged in emotionally to certain musical cues the way that we are.
Are you implying that they would for example, feel an emotional connection to marches or "wardrums", and not so much about your average human classical composition?
Maybe. I'm not sure I would be that specific; not all classical music is story-based, and not all story-based music is classical, but both use musical cues which humans are conditioned to recognize and which aliens might not. Reactions would be individual; they might appreciate the music on an aesthetic level (which might also be emotional), but it probably wouldn't make pictures appear in their heads the way it sometimes does for us.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Is this a common fruit?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

May just be a grape-like cluster of berries....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Looks more like an alien avocado.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

On the plate before him you see one cut in half.
Looks like a Scotch Egg, although the minced meat is green.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

On the plate before him you see one cut in half.
Looks like a Scotch Egg, although the minced meat is green.
Those blue oval things on the plate next to the green food stuff remind me of something...

...oh my! :shock:

New personal head cannon. The Loroi gave Alex Barsam sacs to eat as a cruel joke. :twisted:

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

I think it's a sibreg - a Soia-Liron fruit. And only thing, that Alex labeled edible.
Outsider in Russian

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

The eyeball-thing?

Cut open it looks like an avocado with a weirdly pocked skin to me...

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Krulle wrote:The eyeball-thing?
Cut open it looks like an avocado with a weirdly pocked skin to me...
Actually the first line is
green thing - edible
and second
eyeball thing - no way

The only green thing here is this avocadolike fruit. The one of boxes labeled sibreg, so I think it is it.
Outsider in Russian

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:May just be a grape-like cluster of berries....
In a similar way as raspberry's are are anther possibility.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Zorg56 wrote:Is this a common fruit?
Yes, it's called "sibreg." It's similar to a cantaloupe, with a tough knobbly skin. It is produced by a small bush-like plant with thick, succulent leaves that can grow in almost any environment, including very arid conditions.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
Yes, it's called "sibreg." It's similar to a cantaloupe, with a tough knobbly skin. It is produced by a small bush-like plant with thick, succulent leaves that can grow in almost any environment, including very arid conditions.
Do they grow these on-ship? Seems like it would be ideal.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Do they grow these on-ship? Seems like it would be ideal.
Not commonly. When there is space and infrastructure for an arboretum, they more commonly grow fungi, which don't require sunlight.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

How common are these arboretums? I doubt there are any real need for them in most cases and as such, maybe you want to grow something more interesting then fungi in some cases. Lack of sunlight isn't a problem with artificial light. It is a bit of a headteacher how arboretums are depicted in SciFi they tend to either be way to small or look like traditional (thou round) greenhouses sticking out of the hull of the ship. Often enough are these broken for drama instead. A traditional greenhouse are USELESS in deep space. A space station orbiting a sun could have them if they are close enough or have added mirrors to funnel in more light.

If I where to design an SCi FI arboretum on a starship it would use artificial light and it would probably exist all over the ship in that you would see plants growing in many places where there is spare room and it would have an positive psychological effect. Larger ones for food production would indeed be fungi but also some for luxury like some home grown berries to add to you food plate. They may have little nutritional value being to little for that but again they help breaking up the bore of all that fungi. The crew could also be suggested to grow plants in their cabins.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sweforce wrote:How common are these arboretums? I doubt there are any real need for them in most cases and as such, maybe you want to grow something more interesting then fungi in some cases. Lack of sunlight isn't a problem with artificial light.
They tend to be ad hoc setups where there is unused space; empty cargo holds or the like. They're not used as a major food source, but rather as a source of fresh fruits and vegetables to supplement preserved rations. Much of the preserved rations include Soia-Liron fruits and vegetables (which store fairly well), so arboretums tend to grow more exotic items. Perrein fungoids are popular because they don't require artificial lights, and because it's often the Perrein natives who bother to cook their own food. The fungoids are quite diverse and exotic.
Sweforce wrote:If I where to design an SCi FI arboretum on a starship it would use artificial light and it would probably exist all over the ship in that you would see plants growing in many places where there is spare room and it would have an positive psychological effect. Larger ones for food production would indeed be fungi but also some for luxury like some home grown berries to add to you food plate. They may have little nutritional value being to little for that but again they help breaking up the bore of all that fungi. The crew could also be suggested to grow plants in their cabins.
Aboard a warship, having plants all over the place might present a problem in combat, as momentary fluctuations in gravity could send water and soil flying into sensitive machinery. I think you'd want to keep them contained in a separate space.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

Perrein fungoids are popular because they don't require artificial lights, and because it's often the Perrein natives who bother to cook their own food. The fungoids are quite diverse and exotic.
Just curious. We've seen how disagreeable Soia-liron based foods are with Alex, (and by possible extension all other humans?) but how compatible would these Perrein native fungoids and other food items be with a Human?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Dorfington wrote:
Perrein fungoids are popular because they don't require artificial lights, and because it's often the Perrein natives who bother to cook their own food. The fungoids are quite diverse and exotic.
Just curious. We've seen how disagreeable Soia-liron based foods are with Alex, (and by possible extension all other humans?) but how compatible would these Perrein native fungoids and other food items be with a Human?
I guess we'll probably see!

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
Dorfington wrote:
Conversely, will loroi try human food and die in a puke-fountain of blood? Maybe they'll try a hamburger and have their heart immediately explode.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Arioch wrote:
Dorfington wrote:
Is that a spoiler that the Perrein fungoids have penetrated the sterile hull of the rations?

;)

Quazel

Post by Quazel »

I just saw this, and noticed one of the example images.... :lol:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceElves

Sorry if you all have already seen it.
KIKITIK-27-TIKHAK-TIKKUKIT 2020!