Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Suederwind

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Suederwind »

Did the Loroi every find out or at least tried to find out, why the Mannadi have this resistance?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Logannion wrote:Is there a massage therapy economy as far as Loroi are concerned?

Like I take having skin-to-skin telepathy and a strictly businesslike approach to mating puts a damper on this.
Yes and no.

For the most part, activities that require touching (grooming, hairdressing, massage, etc.) are viewed by Loroi as a social activity conducted amongst groups of friends, rather than services to be purchased. A particularly skilled hairdresser or masseuse might be much sought-after as a friend, but warriors are not allowed to engage in business, so that's about as far as it can go in the warrior upper class.

A civilian female might be able to open a beauty salon, but she would have to contend with social mores against casual touching, and in particular she could probably not count on the patronage of warrior females.

There are Loroi males who practice therapeutic skills analogous to massage and chiropractics, and these services are provided in addition to mating... but you can't just bop down to the local clinic and sign up for them.
Suederwind wrote:Did the Loroi every find out or at least tried to find out, why the Mannadi have this resistance?
As far as the Loroi can tell, the resistance is innate in all Mannadi. Since the Loroi don't know how or why telepathy works in the first place, the specific cause of the resistance would be difficult to determine.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Arioch wrote:There are Loroi males who practice therapeutic skills analogous to massage and chiropractics, and these services are provided in addition to mating... but you can't just bop down to the local clinic and sign up for them.
*Loroi pulls off amazing combat maneuver*
"Someone's shooting for a breeding ticket!"
"No, I just have a crick in my back that I need taken care of."

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Do the loroi have any taboo in regards to autopsies? Ie, have they cut open some of their own to take a look at their brains to figure out telepathy works? Is this something they would do with the human corpses recovered from the bellarmine to figure out their natural resistance as a matter of course, or would they consider that a diplomatic faux pas?

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

fredgiblet wrote:
Arioch wrote:There are Loroi males who practice therapeutic skills analogous to massage and chiropractics, and these services are provided in addition to mating... but you can't just bop down to the local clinic and sign up for them.
*Loroi pulls off amazing combat maneuver*
"Someone's shooting for a breeding ticket!"
"No, I just have a crick in my back that I need taken care of."
"Yeah right! Go see the Doranzer about your back, you know where the sickbay is"

Werra

Post by Werra »

boldilocks wrote:Do the loroi have any taboo in regards to autopsies? Ie, have they cut open some of their own to take a look at their brains to figure out telepathy works? Is this something they would do with the human corpses recovered from the bellarmine to figure out their natural resistance as a matter of course, or would they consider that a diplomatic faux pas?
There are about 20 human corpses officially unacounted for. ;)
But now that you mention it, where do the Loroi store all those human corpses? Did they clear out one of the freezers on Tempest? Is meat back on the menu?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:Do the loroi have any taboo in regards to autopsies?
No.
boldilocks wrote: Ie, have they cut open some of their own to take a look at their brains to figure out telepathy works?
Of course.
boldilocks wrote:Is this something they would do with the human corpses recovered from the bellarmine to figure out their natural resistance as a matter of course, or would they consider that a diplomatic faux pas?
UNABLE TO COMPUTE
AVAILABLE DATA INSUFFICIENT

Corpsman_of_Krieg

Post by Corpsman_of_Krieg »

Arioch wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Is this something they would do with the human corpses recovered from the bellarmine to figure out their natural resistance as a matter of course, or would they consider that a diplomatic faux pas?
UNABLE TO COMPUTE
The plot thickens!

Jardin is going to be in the wrong place at the right time, and see something through a doorway. Something that is going to fill him with such terrible anger. I can visualize the varied reactions of each of the three other “main” characters, and see the scene unfold as they try to calm him down, despite the unsummoned guilt.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Is it typical of the Loroi to autopsy alien corpses at their first opportunity to do so with a species? Or do they generally seek to obtain biological information through trade?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CF2 wrote:Is it typical of the Loroi to autopsy alien corpses at their first opportunity to do so with a species? Or do they generally seek to obtain biological information through trade?
I think it's unlikely that there has been a previous first contact scenario for the Loroi which came supplied with fresh alien corpses. I would expect that any sensible civilization would be interested in learning everything it could about a new species, through every avenue that is available. Live specimens are much more valuable to study than corpses (Loroi can use their equivalent of MRI to get most of the information they would get from an autopsy, plus they can monitor the organism's processes in action, and... y'know... ask it questions).

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Corpsman_of_Krieg wrote:
Arioch wrote:
UNABLE TO COMPUTE
The plot thickens!

Jardin is going to be in the wrong place at the right time, and see something through a doorway. Something that is going to fill him with such terrible anger. I can visualize the varied reactions of each of the three other “main” characters, and see the scene unfold as they try to calm him down, despite the unsummoned guilt.
He would certainly be uneasy and upset, but I don't think he'd be filled with terrible anger. I would expect him commenting that they should have asked his permission or at least told him that they studied the bodies of his fallen crew mates, but I agree with Arioch that it would be a logical course of action when a new species is discovered. The humans will definitely do the same if they got hold of a loroi body or use the chance to take blood and tissue samples from a live loroi while providing first aid or carrying out a routine examination. Nothing wrong with that.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

If the respective populations ever got close enough to support that sort of contact, I could see human chiropractors and chiropractic massage therapists making a ton of money off the Loroi. Military life is hard on the back and short of problems requiring surgery, chiropractics works wonders. I think once one or two Loroi got over their touch aversion enough to try it, those services would be highly sought after as they would offer relief without the telepathic connection.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

orion1836 wrote:If the respective populations ever got close enough to support that sort of contact, I could see human chiropractors and chiropractic massage therapists making a ton of money off the Loroi. Military life is hard on the back and short of problems requiring surgery, chiropractics works wonders. I think once one or two Loroi got over their touch aversion enough to try it, those services would be highly sought after as they would offer relief without the telepathic connection.
"Movers and shakers" will become literal job descriptors.

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

orion1836 wrote:If the respective populations ever got close enough to support that sort of contact, I could see human chiropractors and chiropractic massage therapists making a ton of money off the Loroi. Military life is hard on the back and short of problems requiring surgery, chiropractics works wonders. I think once one or two Loroi got over their touch aversion enough to try it, those services would be highly sought after as they would offer relief without the telepathic connection.
Would you believe me if I told you that was the exact reason I asked :lol:
Didn't want to be to blunt about it though

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Logannion wrote:Would you believe me if I told you that was the exact reason I asked :lol:
Didn't want to be to blunt about it though
It's a logical train of thought based on what we know. There would only be so much we could offer in terms of trade when another race is so comparatively advanced. We already know that they wouldn't be interested in most of our media, though music might hold a fleeting interest. There could be some food items that are rare and/or sought-after depending on their tastes, but gourmet food isn't necessarily the cornerstone of a large trade agreement. Besides, that's a hell of a long way to bring fresh ingredients.

On the other hand, the ability to touch without being instantly connected to their thoughts is a distinct comparative advantage. Forgetting the obvious lewd implications, the entire sector of previously discussed jobs such as masseuses, hairdressers, chiropractors, and even beauticians could find a role in their society that was previously unfilled.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Well, knowing Human males, and how contolled certain avcess is, there is plenty of room for unofficial sideservices, boosting morale even more...
Until the military high command gets to know about it and stamps it dwn.

And then they forbid mixed crews, and then they wonder why crew morale drops...

Meh, dirty old man here...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Krulle wrote:Well, knowing Human males, and how contolled certain avcess is, there is plenty of room for unofficial sideservices, boosting morale even more...
Until the military high command gets to know about it and stamps it dwn.

And then they forbid mixed crews, and then they wonder why crew morale drops...

Meh, dirty old man here...
They'd probably bring in human women, just for that reason.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Human women will be instinctively seen as the opposition by the Loroi who won't see any reason to not resolve things with physical violence if someone becomes catty. A Loroi would restrain herself from hitting a man in the same way a man would restrain themselves from hitting a woman which should keep things peaceful if somewhat strained until the various interpersonal boundaries are established.

And since it has been established that Loroi are about as strong as a man then things won't go too well between Loroi warrior and human women, at least at first.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Human women will be instinctively seen as the opposition by the Loroi who won't see any reason to not resolve things with physical violence if someone becomes catty. A Loroi would restrain herself from hitting a man in the same way a man would restrain themselves from hitting a woman which should keep things peaceful if somewhat strained until the various interpersonal boundaries are established.

And since it has been established that Loroi are about as strong as a man then things won't go too well between Loroi warrior and human women, at least at first.
Because as we know, fistfights often break out between hairdressers and their clients. o_O

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:Human women will be instinctively seen as the opposition by the Loroi who won't see any reason to not resolve things with physical violence if someone becomes catty. A Loroi would restrain herself from hitting a man in the same way a man would restrain themselves from hitting a woman which should keep things peaceful if somewhat strained until the various interpersonal boundaries are established.

Because as we know, fistfights often break out between hairdressers and their clients. o_O
I have not seen firefights but I have seen the aftermath of a cat-fight when a poor hairdresser cut a little too much hair. That hair salon closed for a whole day after that.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.