Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

entity2636

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by entity2636 »

Arioch wrote:Some females might be put off by being pursued in this way by a male (perhaps concerned about what her female peers might think, as it could be considered a sign of improper attachment), but others probably wouldn't mind at all.
Something like a national/regional/cultural/family etc. thing, right? The loroi aren't really a monoculture*, so there probably are as many opinions and preferences as there are people, of course within the broad lines of what's legal and what isn't, correct?

*I mean of course from the outside it looks like it's a military monoculture, but still there are multiple loroi planets with multiple loroi nations on them which consist of multiple ethnic groups, clans, etc. with different local traditions, culture and points of view on things, etc. etc.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Even within a monoculture, there will be variations of outlook and attitude between individuals.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Can you say something about the Loroi religion from Perrein?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:Can you say something about the Loroi religion from Perrein?
It is not a modern, currently practiced religion. There was a cult in the ancient highlands of Perrein (above the canopy of the monster fungoid forests) that worshipped the sun, and at various points in Perrein history developed into what we would recognize as a full-blown religion, complete with a male priesthood, temples, idols, rituals, animal sacrifices, etc. It waxed and waned over the millennia with the rise and fall of individual city-states, but largely died out before the industrial age. There was an attempt to revive the trappings of that culture by one of the highland city-states in the TL6/TL7 era (in a sort of way analogous to how the Fascists of the 30's tried to revive and co-opt the trapping of ancient Rome), but those folks were mostly wiped out in the atomic wars that followed. You can find a few modern Loroi who claim to follow some form of this religion, but they're like people today who claim to worship druidism or wiccanism, in that what they're actually practicing is a modern cult that they've mostly made up themselves.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

That's an awesome bit of side detail!

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Arioch wrote:developed into what we would recognize as a full-blown religion, complete with a male priesthood, temples, idols, rituals, animal sacrifices, etc.
Vestal non-virgins and a smattering of things social rejects can pretend to be emulating, huh? Sounds appropriate for a Loroi version of Wicca & such.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Arioch wrote:
It is not a modern, currently practiced religion. There was a cult in the ancient highlands of Perrein (above the canopy of the monster fungoid forests) that worshipped the sun, and at various points in Perrein history developed into what we would recognize as a full-blown religion, complete with a male priesthood, temples, idols, rituals, animal sacrifices, etc. It waxed and waned over the millennia with the rise and fall of individual city-states, but largely died out before the industrial age. There was an attempt to revive the trappings of that culture by one of the highland city-states in the TL6/TL7 era (in a sort of way analogous to how the Fascists of the 30's tried to revive and co-opt the trapping of ancient Rome), but those folks were mostly wiped out in the atomic wars that followed. You can find a few modern Loroi who claim to follow some form of this religion, but they're like people today who claim to worship druidism or wiccanism, in that what they're actually practicing is a modern cult that they've mostly made up themselves.
So it's unlikely that Tempos hidden -10 disadvantage is Sense of loyalty: The Space Pope

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Werra wrote:
Arioch wrote:
So it's unlikely that Tempos hidden -10 disadvantage is Sense of loyalty: The Space Pope
Actually while on the subject. Arioch, what exactly does the -10 sense of duty (Greywind) mean. Is Tempo not loyal to Greywind or is loyalty to Greywind a bad thing?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:Actually while on the subject. Arioch, what exactly does the -10 sense of duty (Greywind) mean. Is Tempo not loyal to Greywind or is loyalty to Greywind a bad thing?
In GURPS, any trait which compels behavior (Truthfulness, Sense of Duty, Dependents, etc.) is considered a disadvantage. It doesn't mean it's a "bad" thing in story or character terms.

Taking disadvantages gives you more points to buy advantageous traits with.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

A few questions about traditional Loroi dirals on Deinar.
What kind of tools are dirals equipped with, so that they may fashion shelters and other tools? Saws, axes, multipurpose knives, hammers? What about labor intensive things that a group cast into a wilderness environment would have trouble creating with limited tools, such as canteens/water skins?

The Insider mentions:
During the band phase, certain taboos must be observed. Band members are prohibited from eating alone; food is to be consumed only in the company of other band-mates, but most particularly not in front of a male or a nursing female.
Are young male Loroi a part of dirals, or are these particular taboos aimed more at modern dirals where the group is located aboard a station or within a barracks, and thus closer to civilization?

Diral leaders are mention to be chosen, is that by the group or by older Loroi overseeing the group's initial creation? Should a diral leader die, how is the replacement chosen and by whom?

And a hypothetical of sorts; were a diral to encounter a civilian, would "capturing" and using that civilian's skill set to aid of their survival fit within the spirit of the whole rite of passage?

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Sounds familiar, lol.

I had envisioned the diral bands as something akin to early man's rites of adulthood. The kids would be sent out with next to nothing... maybe some weapons like knives, but that would be about it.

The Tenoin, I'm sure, had at least the materials to build a boat, but I imagined the Deinar practices to be the most simple and straightforward. There are the woods... go survive there for two years. Here's a knife, good luck.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

orion1836 wrote:Sounds familiar, lol.
I'm quite sure I've no idea what you could ever possibly mean. Clearly this is just another miscellaneous group of questions about the Loroi. :lol:

I figure there's the diral leader's knife, but that the various worlds have their own additions. Water conservation gear for arid Mezan, shipbuilding & maintenance tools for oceanic Taben, perhaps an axe or saw for wooded Deinar... not sure what would help on Perrein, maybe a few spearheads to deal with dangerous fauna once they find and attach them to some decent poles? Though on all worlds, a constant source of fresh water for some fifty Loroi will be a bit of a troublesome thing to get unless they camp within range of a spring or have very regular rains, so maybe they have waterskins?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CF2 wrote:
I'm quite sure I've no idea what you could ever possibly mean.
I'd guess he's referring to the Boy Scouts. There are some similarities.
CF2 wrote:What kind of tools are dirals equipped with, so that they may fashion shelters and other tools? Saws, axes, multipurpose knives, hammers? What about labor intensive things that a group cast into a wilderness environment would have trouble creating with limited tools, such as canteens/water skins?
The procedure varies, but in most cases the diral training has two phases: the first part is done at a "base camp" where there are teachers and some infrastructure (tools and medical facilities, for example), where for example the children may be taught to hunt, skin and tan leather, and make a water skin, etc. There may be multiple bands operating out of this base camp. A Tenoin group would build or refurbish its ship here. The second phase is the one in which the band is sent out on its own to a more remote location (though it may be accompanied or visited by a teacher or assistant). In this second phase, the starting equipment varies, but often it will be minimal: sometimes only the leader's knife, the bands' clothing, and a few items which the band made themselves (such as water skins). In hostile environments or high-tech areas (such as when the "wilderness" is an abandoned wing of a space station), more tools and gear may be required.
CF2 wrote:Are young male Loroi a part of dirals, or are these particular taboos aimed more at modern dirals where the group is located aboard a station or within a barracks, and thus closer to civilization?

And a hypothetical of sorts; were a diral to encounter a civilian, would "capturing" and using that civilian's skill set to aid of their survival fit within the spirit of the whole rite of passage?
Societal rules are taught as part of the regimen, whether or not the band is likely to run across actual civilians in the course of their training. Many bands operate in unpopulated areas where they are unlikely to encounter anyone, but some operate near settlements, and "mock" raids on civilian settlements (especially to steal food) are sometimes a part of the curriculum. Rules of engagement vary: sometimes the band is prohibited from interacting with civilians at all (any raid must be by stealth); sometimes bands are encouraged to "capture" civilians and "ransom" them back for supplies.
CF2 wrote:Diral leaders are mention to be chosen, is that by the group or by older Loroi overseeing the group's initial creation? Should a diral leader die, how is the replacement chosen and by whom?
Leaders are usually chosen by the band itself, though they may be appointed by the elders in some cases. Subordinate officers are also selected during the "base camp" phase (usually a second in command and a number of squad leaders), and so if a leader is incapacitated (most likely injured and evacuated to base camp), there is a chain of command which runs all the way from top to bottom.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:
CF2 wrote:
I'm quite sure I've no idea what you could ever possibly mean.
I'd guess he's referring to the Boy Scouts. There are some similarities.
He was asking about the details surrounding one of the stories in the writing prompts, and I was ribbing him about it. :mrgreen:

Glad he did though - it makes it easier to get the setting right. Thanks for the in-depth response. I've always been interested in the diral trials.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Do loroi have the same buoyancy as humans?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:Do loroi have the same buoyancy as humans?
I doubt the difference would be noticeable.

I also imagine that Loroi absorbency and conductivity are within the range of human norms. :D

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Arioch wrote:

I also imagine that Loroi absorbency and conductivity are within the range of human norms. :D
If we have to start using Beryl as a shamwow, we have other problems. :?

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:

Thou some people have more buoyancy then others but it seem that high buoyancy (fat) loroi are somewhat rare. My joking example of one would be a farseer since I guess they can get away with more due to them being the loroi's "Bunny ears lawyers"

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... EarsLawyer

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

What is "shamwow"?
Outsider in Russian

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

SVlad wrote:What is "shamwow"?
Super absorbent towels that holds 21 times its weight in liquid and will not scratch surfaces.