Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by sunphoenix »

Speaking of ears.. would touching a loroi's ears... seem erotic to a loroi? Keeping in mind they're normal social aversion to physical contact.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

discord

Post by discord »

my guess would be that 'intimate' is the proper adjective? grammar never was my strong suit.
but it is the right term, because ALL touching is pretty damn intimate to loroi, and since it is something that pokes out from the rest, it is probably a preferred touching spot for intimate actions.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Speaking of ears.. would touching a loroi's ears... seem erotic to a loroi? Keeping in mind they're normal social aversion to physical contact.
I think that would depend on who is doing the touching and under what circumstances.

Even in human society, for one adult to touch another adult's ears or face is pretty unusual unless the participants share some kind of intimacy (or one of the people is some kind of professional).

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote: Even in human society, for one adult to touch another adult's ears or face is pretty unusual unless the participants share some kind of intimacy (or one of the people is some kind of professional).
Ah. Too true.. sorry, silly question.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Carl Miller wrote:
NuclearIceCream wrote:
wasp609 wrote:im wondering if a lorois ears are sensitive.
Oh Boy! Reminds me of that Warhammer 40k Eldar ear thing I found on 1d4chan.
?
There was a lore thing written by games workshop that was supposed to be a sort report on Eldar biology and it stated the Eldar's ears are an erogenous zone. Somebody from 4chan was then inspired to write a short story with that in mind.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

What is paranormal for loroi? And does they love creepy stories?

And generally, does telepathic nation have a gossips?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:What is paranormal for loroi? And does they love creepy stories?
The Loroi do not have fiction as such, so most of their stories are based on historical fact. They do enjoy very ancient stories that have become almost mythic in nature (when the Loroi reverted to a pre-industrial technology, the details of Soia-era tales became somewhat distorted); that is probably the closest they have to ghost stories. Living in a telepathic society, most Loroi do not have a need to seek spiritual meaning in external phenomena. Most Loroi do not believe in ghosts or spirits.
Alexandr Koori wrote:And generally, does telepathic nation have a gossips?
Very much so, but because telepathy is inherently truthful, the telepathic rumor mill is usually more accurate than our verbal gossip.

Alexandr Koori

Post by Alexandr Koori »

So how possible the modern folklore in loroi culture, for example how crew of ship compose comic songs about captain or their ship.
And what forms can have that in loroi starship?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Alexandr Koori wrote:So how possible the modern folklore in loroi culture, for example how crew of ship compose comic songs about captain or their ship. And what forms can have that in loroi starship?
Loroi don't sing. They tell telepathic stories of events they've witness or have been telepathically told about, and insert their own commentary.

On board ship lack of privacy is an issue; any group discussion that doesn't involve private communication between two individuals can usually be overheard by someone, and so anything that's said to two or more people can be expected to be known by the entire crew in a short period of time.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Just a randome bunch of questions, I hope you don't mind.
Do Loroi have any kind of common food restriction? What would most likely be the most disgusting (or pleasant) human food or drink for a Loroi?
How did traditional Loroi outfits look like, for males and females? Did the casts wear different traditional costumes or were they very similar (like in the time the comic takes place)?
What would be the most confusing/puzzling thing in human society/history for a Loroi?
Is there any kind of Loroi version of a songbird? Maybe some kind of telepathic pet that creats a good mood or so?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote: Loroi don't sing. They tell telepathic stories of events they've witness or have been telepathically told about, and insert their own commentary.
Aww...! That's too bad! :(

What would Loroi think of Human singing then?
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

sunphoenix wrote:
Arioch wrote: Loroi don't sing. They tell telepathic stories of events they've witness or have been telepathically told about, and insert their own commentary.
Aww...! That's too bad! :(

What would Loroi think of Human singing then?
"MORE OF YOUR VERBAL LIES! AND SUCH LACK OF MELODY!"
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Suederwind wrote:Do Loroi have any kind of common food restriction? What would most likely be the most disgusting (or pleasant) human food or drink for a Loroi?
Loroi have hardy digestive systems that can accommodate a wide range of foods, but what constitutes something "disgusting" varies depending on subculture; there are, for example, many Perrein food items that other Loroi would find disgusting. There is a particular Human food practice that some Loroi will find disturbing, but I'll leave that to the story.
Suederwind wrote:How did traditional Loroi outfits look like, for males and females? Did the casts wear different traditional costumes or were they very similar (like in the time the comic takes place)?
Again, this varies a great deal by subculture and era. On Taben, the inhabitants of cold Beleri wore clothing reminiscent of Scandinavian cultures, while the inhabitants of the warm Amenal archipelago adopted dress more similar to Polynesian cultures. I have on my list of things to do to draw a lineup of the Loroi characters in their traditional ethnic garb, but it's obviously not at the top of the priorities. The Legend of Tempest mosaic does give you an idea what Western Deinar armor looked like in the Classical period.
Suederwind wrote:What would be the most confusing/puzzling thing in human society/history for a Loroi?
Hard to say. There's a lot in our consumer-driven media culture that Loroi would find baffling.
Suederwind wrote:Is there any kind of Loroi version of a songbird? Maybe some kind of telepathic pet that creates a good mood or so?
Deinar has somewhat poor biodiversity; most land organisms are relatively recently evolved from domestic species.

Taben has more sophisticated native marine life, but most of the land organisms are the same kinds as found on Deinar. The Taben nimai (a flying manta/fish) has a shrieking call that is not especially pleasant, and is thought of by the native Beleri as a portent of storms or drownings.

Perrein has a variety of noisemaking animals, but many of them are dangerous in one way or another. The beimish are a variety of small tree-dwelling cephalopod-like creatures that sing a bit like frogs, and are brightly colored and bioluminescent. They were sometimes uses as a combination of music box and night light. However, they are also highly toxic and so must be handled carefully, and they will inject eggs into your soft tissues while you're sleeping if they can get out of their cages.
sunphoenix wrote:What would Loroi think of Human singing then?
They would consider it a curious alien custom. Other aliens they have contact with (notably the Barsam) do sing.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm not expecting an answer or any kind of confirmation, but I feel I gotta make some wild guesses as to what the Loroi will find disturbing about human food practices, just for the record.

In no particular order:
• Eating in groups.
• Cooking, frying, and/or firmenting.
• Mixing everything on the plate together. (That might be more of a regional thing.)

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

Burping will freak them out, I don't doubt.

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Roeben wrote:Burping will freak them out, I don't doubt.
I will fall out of my chair if that turns out to be disturbing.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

icekatze wrote:• Eating in groups.
IIRC this is common among Loroi. While males and females don't mix they eat in groups within their genders.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I dunno, I wouldn't be so sure about that. ;)

McBobbish

Post by McBobbish »

Are there any Loroi who enjoy to listen to other species sing? Like would they be able to extract any entertainment value from a human opera or anything like that?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

McBobbish wrote:Are there any Loroi who enjoy to listen to other species sing? Like would they be able to extract any entertainment value from a human opera or anything like that?
Sure.