Kerbal Space Program

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Kerbal Space Program

Post by Karst45 »

Found another Perl

A space program simulator! Real nice! Create your rocket and fly it to the mun, or one of the 6 planet (more to come) and they moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OhFnq_iKw here the promotional video, (version .13a we are currently at .18a)

The latest version have the possibility to create space station and dock ship to them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRxuU5q ... sults_main

I spend way to much time just to launch and orbit 2 satellite :S crash on the moon twice too :S

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by Arioch »

Messed around with it quite a bit back in Summer of 2011, haven't played it recently. I guess it was on the Relic boards that we were talking about it. Riess (of Our Intrepid Crew) had done a fanart that got incorporated into the loading screen (the three astronauts wigging out). Don't know if that's still in the game.

In the version I played, you could put yourself into orbit and that was about it. What's been added in the last year and a half? I'd heard they added a moon landing.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Haven't played it myself, but on another forum I attend there were a few guys still playing it.
The latest I heard was more modularity (or more components) for your spaceships. Monolith discoveries on both Kerbal's moons. And even a mod that adds a sort of sensor dish (more chance to discover those mentioned monoliths).

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:In the version I played, you could put yourself into orbit and that was about it. What's been added in the last year and a half? I'd heard they added a moon landing.
Moon landing, 2 moons 6 planet with multiple moons (havent checked them yet)

Space station/docking

And they are planing on doing base thingy.

GeoModder wrote:Haven't played it myself, but on another forum I attend there were a few guys still playing it.
The latest I heard was more modularity (or more components) for your spaceships. Monolith discoveries on both Kerbal's moons. And even a mod that adds a sort of sensor dish (more chance to discover those mentioned monoliths).
indeed there a lots more component, engine and scientific tools, the slowly adding resources management to the lots, electronic need electricity, and planning to add air and foods.

As for the monolith, there an Easter egg on each planet for you to find. i heard there a strange face on EVE (one of the new planet added)

Were you able to create and manage rocket stage when you played it?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

What they need to make it a fun game (instead of just a sandbox simulator) is a good robust base building and personnel management system. They've got good seeds for it with the funny Kerbal characters.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Karst45 wrote:Were you able to create and manage rocket stage when you played it?
As I was sayin' in my previous post, "I haven't played it, but...". ;)

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:What they need to make it a fun game (instead of just a sandbox simulator) is a good robust base building and personnel management system. They've got good seeds for it with the funny Kerbal characters.

Well they are introducing Scenario, So far it basic thing like: "You station is about to fall, dock your rocket and put it back into orbit"

or your about to crash on the moon make the adjustment for an orbit and "sling shot" return to Kerbin(earth) They only nudged the possibility.

But i agree with you, i would see it as an agency/government funded company that need to hire scientist (with the obvious tech tree) mission/objectives that increase your income,

What would also be fun is movie like scenario! OH NO! an asteroid is heading directly toward Kerbin! We need to send Oil driller that are untrained as astronaut to drill that roid and make it go boom!

Thing that would use the basic of the games.
Was that the loading picture you were talking about?

BTW: i witnessed my fist solar eclipse :)

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Karst45 wrote:BTW: i witnessed my fist solar eclipse :)
:?:
Next one is in May?
sapere aude.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I think he meant ingame. ;)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote: Was that the loading picture you were talking about?
Yes, that's the one.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Arioch wrote:Messed around with it quite a bit back in Summer of 2011, haven't played it recently. I guess it was on the Relic boards that we were talking about it. Riess (of Our Intrepid Crew) had done a fanart that got incorporated into the loading screen (the three astronauts wigging out). Don't know if that's still in the game.

In the version I played, you could put yourself into orbit and that was about it. What's been added in the last year and a half? I'd heard they added a moon landing.
Really? I didn't know that was Riess!! It's still part of the loading screen as far as I know
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

well i may regret saying that but you should have access to the update if you already buy it earlier.

Unfortunately for now he trying to make the Mac version *shake fist* more stable. That kind of slowing down the updates

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Screw the Mac version.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:Screw the Mac version.
well my though but you can actually say that, there some weird people who use mac to play game, and use Windows emulator or some shit like that.

what annoy/interrest me is that there a lots of mods that actually make the main game seem like it progress really slow.

i mean there already a roover mod, base and many visual add on.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

I just found that there is a mod called "Remote control" were if you have probe you must deal with the Radio delay to change it information. with enough relay for the more distant planet you can hope for a 8min delay ;)

Maybe one day you will be able to program a sequence from launch to your objective and see how it fair :)

AaronLee

Post by AaronLee »

I'm a huge fan of this game, though I'll say it's still more sandbox then game right now. I'm waiting for them to add costs, grants and the like (maybe getting 'government' money for meeting milestones like orbit or a Munar landing?) Also research and tech progression. It should get more gamelike then.

Also speaking of personnel, they do have crew lists now. So if Jebediah dies in a crash then he's gone from your savegame for good. I'm guessing you'll eventually have to handle recruitment and training.

PArt diversity and functionality has been expanded a lot. Not only can you go to orbit and do interplanetary stuff, you can make probes, landers, spaceplanes (that can launch from a runway) and all sorts of stuff. Also there are a lot of good part expansion mods that give you more to work with.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

AaronLee wrote:I'm a huge fan of this game, though I'll say it's still more sandbox then game right now. I'm waiting for them to add costs, grants and the like (maybe getting 'government' money for meeting milestones like orbit or a Munar landing?) Also research and tech progression. It should get more gamelike then.

Also speaking of personnel, they do have crew lists now. So if Jebediah dies in a crash then he's gone from your savegame for good. I'm guessing you'll eventually have to handle recruitment and training.

PArt diversity and functionality has been expanded a lot. Not only can you go to orbit and do interplanetary stuff, you can make probes, landers, spaceplanes (that can launch from a runway) and all sorts of stuff. Also there are a lot of good part expansion mods that give you more to work with.

totally agree with you. i even mentioned some of those point you spoke of thus the recruitment would also be nice, am sure a lots more of probe would be send for test flight.

Naveed123

posting

Post by Naveed123 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: ndeed there a lots more component, engine and scientific tools, the slowly adding resources management to the lots, electronic need electricity, and planning to add air and foods.

As for the monolith, there an Easter egg on each planet for you to find. i heard there a strange face on EVE (one of the new planet added)

Were you able to create and manage rocket stage when you played it? :P :P
Play and Download Chess game online visit play chess online for more details.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

When I played, it had solid boosters and liquid rocket engines, but there were no other objects in the solar system. So all there was to do was achieve orbit and reentry or escape velocity.

I think what the game really needs (to be more than a simulation) is an economic engine in which you manage the space program and its personnel. Given the interesting character of the Kerbal characters, I think personnel management in particular could be a lot of fun. When those elements are in the game, that's when I'll get interested.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

then prepare your paycheck :)

KSP 0.21 Update News (currently 0.20.2)

Here are some news from the Developers on what they are working on for the 0.21 Update.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content.php/184

* The Astronaut Complex Facility
Another huge feature in the making, the Astronaut Complex is a new building at the Space Center, that gives you an overview of all your available victims brave explorers, and lets you recruit new ones from a list of applicants.

* Crew Management
Along with the Astronaut Complex, this adds the ability to select the crew for a vessel before launch (from the launch sites or from the editors). Pick from the list of available crewmembers, and assign them to any (yes, any) part on the vessel.

they added 2 stat for the astronaut, Courage and stupidity :) for now they dont do nothing except being funny but maybe it a place holder for when they get the recruitement in. they also hint at a begining of a career mode maybe in the V 0.22