Loroi Sexuality continued (no politics this time)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Turrosh Mak

Loroi Sexuality continued (no politics this time)

Post by Turrosh Mak »

I know Arioch said that Loroi feel pleasure from sex, but if they achieve anything like human climax, there is going to be a LOT of self stimulation going on. If humans are comparable, that's every 2 or 3 days from puberty until senescence, which for Loroi can be a span of 250 years.

The only thing I could imagine is some form of estous cycle where Loroi females have no reaction in their sexual organs for LOOOOOONG periods of time, but I have no idea what would kickstart them during times when population growth would be required. Perhaps some chemical trigger (such as eating certain foods) would have been found in antiquity that short-circuited the biological cycle.

bunnyboy

Re: Loroi Sexuality continued (no politics this time)

Post by bunnyboy »

Perhaps it is not a food, but presense of male loroi. So the sexes are separated to keep women on their trousers and there is big change in air when the Rainmaker steps in.
Supporter of forum RPG

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Didn't Arioch state that the Loroi female's reproductive cycle only starts AFTER she's been with a male? That would suggest a triggered hormonal reaction to the physical contact with the male. When the female is out of contact with males, well, out of sight, out of mind.

Human females are fertile almost all the time since puberty until menopause, and conversely human males must therefore be constantly ready to mate in order not to 'miss a chance'. Reproductive organs are actually a huge drain on the organism, especially for females, so if there's an opportunity to shut them down without compromising one's reproductive future, natural selection favours such strategy.

For this reason, it would make complete sense for the Loroi females to basically 'switch off' their sex drive and 'deactivate' their sex organs unless they are 'turned on' (literally) by a direct, close contact with a male. That would result in no need to pleasure themselves or seek other forms of stimulation in this regard outside the mating encounters, because they would simply not feel any desire to do so and derive no pleasure from it.

(A question that follows - if this were the case, would Alex 'turn on' the sex drive of those Loroi females who spend some time in his close proximity, or not? If the triggering mechanism was purely chemical, then probably not due to the wildly different biochemistries. But it's rarely like that, since in humans 'infatuation' or 'lust' can easily be triggered by visual stimuli only.

The shuttle ride will be fun if it's like that ;) )

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I´m not sure if this has been answered elsewhere and it is not directly Loroi related:
The Barsam and the Neridi are very similar to the Loroi on a biochemical level, as written in the Insider. Are their gender ratios similar to that of the Loroi, especially the Barsam as former warrior culture, or are they closer to a Humans ratio?
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Victor_D wrote:The shuttle ride will be fun if it's like that ;)
It will be better than this shuttle ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UybDydQpNY
Supporter of forum RPG

Imbrooge

Post by Imbrooge »

Well, for Humans smell is also very significant, and I think it varies which stimulus is the dominant ones and which ones just supplement the dominant ones for each gender. Would that apply to the Loroi too?

I think that whatever might cause attraction would be negated by the natural resistance Alex has to Sanzai especially when any physical contact is made, cause the lack of any connection would trigger a feeling of distrust or some other similar feeling.

Actually, would the Lotai feeling they get be considered a sign of rejection should a Loroi male do it to a female Loroi?

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Actually, would the Lotai feeling they get be considered a sign of rejection should a Loroi male do it to a female Loroi?
That's an interesting question, how do the Loroi react to those amongst their society (alien and Loroi) who possess Lotai? I predict "Burn the witch!".

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

Grayhome wrote:
That's an interesting question, how do the Loroi react to those amongst their society (alien and Loroi) who possess Lotai? I predict "Burn the witch!".

Lotai among Loroi can be turned on and off, I think. Most Loroi capable of it probably wouldn't have it set to 'on' as a default. Quite possibly it takes some effort to maintain, as well. Alex's Lotai might be extra weird to the Loroi, since he can maintain while unconscious.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

JQBogus wrote:Lotai among Loroi can be turned on and off, I think. Most Loroi capable of it probably wouldn't have it set to 'on' as a default. Quite possibly it takes some effort to maintain, as well. Alex's Lotai might be extra weird to the Loroi, since he can maintain while unconscious.

That haven't been proved yet. thus we highly suspect that possibility

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
JQBogus wrote:Lotai among Loroi can be turned on and off, I think. Most Loroi capable of it probably wouldn't have it set to 'on' as a default. Quite possibly it takes some effort to maintain, as well. Alex's Lotai might be extra weird to the Loroi, since he can maintain while unconscious.

That haven't been proved yet. thus we highly suspect that possibility
A loroi can block any outside thoughts with training (often needed source the insider guide)) and, given the prevalence of telepathic attack in loroi history, i would agree a Masking ability would be available. However, to have such an ability would be rare ( or limited to certain casts . . . .cough. . . . cough Mizol )
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The ability to disguise one's mental signature is a learned ability; it's not a permanent condition that a Loroi is born with.
Suederwind wrote: The Barsam and the Neridi are very similar to the Loroi on a biochemical level, as written in the Insider. Are their gender ratios similar to that of the Loroi, especially the Barsam as former warrior culture, or are they closer to a Humans ratio?
The Barsam are mono-gendered and hermaphroditic. I don't have a lot of hard details about their reproductive mechanisms, but the concept is that they don't have "sex" per se -- the exchange of gametes is like exchanging business cards -- and they don't pair bond, but instead raise offspring solo.

I don't have any information to release on Neridi reproduction at present.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Arioch wrote:The Barsam are mono-gendered and hermaphroditic.
Are the Nibiren different from that?
sapere aude.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:The Barsam are mono-gendered and hermaphroditic. I don't have a lot of hard details about their reproductive mechanisms, but the concept is that they don't have "sex" per se -- the exchange of gametes is like exchanging business cards -- and they don't pair bond, but instead raise offspring solo.
So much for "climbing a Barsam" :lol:

Solemn

Post by Solemn »

Victor_D wrote:
Arioch wrote:The Barsam are mono-gendered and hermaphroditic. I don't have a lot of hard details about their reproductive mechanisms, but the concept is that they don't have "sex" per se -- the exchange of gametes is like exchanging business cards -- and they don't pair bond, but instead raise offspring solo.
So much for "climbing a Barsam" :lol:
A sufficiently motivated individual can achieve things that others do not even dare to dream.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Solemn wrote:
A sufficiently motivated individual can achieve things that others do not even dare to dream.

gold :D
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Michael

Post by Michael »

I feel this is the perfect place to bring up that famous typo. We all know what I'm talking about...

Telepanties.

Discuss.

::Sits in a corner to watch intently, with a clipboard::
CJ Miller: How many millions must be banned before we stop having pointless arguments on the Internet?
fredgiblet: ALL OF THEM! Our banhammers will blot out the sun!
CptWinters: Then we will troll in the shade.!

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Michael wrote:I feel this is the perfect place to bring up that famous typo. We all know what I'm talking about...

Telepanties.

Discuss.

::Sits in a corner to watch intently, with a clipboard::

First rule about telepanties. Don't talk about telepanties 8-) .
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Arioch wrote:The ability to disguise one's mental signature is a learned ability; it's not a permanent condition that a Loroi is born with.
Suederwind wrote: The Barsam and the Neridi are very similar to the Loroi on a biochemical level, as written in the Insider. Are their gender ratios similar to that of the Loroi, especially the Barsam as former warrior culture, or are they closer to a Humans ratio?
The Barsam are mono-gendered and hermaphroditic. I don't have a lot of hard details about their reproductive mechanisms, but the concept is that they don't have "sex" per se -- the exchange of gametes is like exchanging business cards -- and they don't pair bond, but instead raise offspring solo.

I don't have any information to release on Neridi reproduction at present.
Now that is very intersting, if they are very similiar biochemically but differ wildly in their phsiology, it might be proof of the Loroi being a Soia construct with humanity as a base.
Now al lthey need to do is compare Nibiren with Barsam and use the difference as a template to see if it would make the Loroi any more human ..
Well I dream,
But if the Loroi are Human related, having Alex around may trigger any number of suprising dormant needs the Soia have supressed... or designed to be triggered when humanity was met.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

DevilDalek wrote:
Now that is very intersting, if they are very similiar biochemically but differ wildly in their phsiology, it might be proof of the Loroi being a Soia construct with humanity as a base.
Now al lthey need to do is compare Nibiren with Barsam and use the difference as a template to see if it would make the Loroi any more human ..
Well I dream,
But if the Loroi are Human related, having Alex around may trigger any number of suprising dormant needs the Soia have supressed... or designed to be triggered when humanity was met.
That is very unlikely given the fact that the loroi have been around for atleast seventyfive thousand years prior to humanity ever existing. I suppose you could say they based them off our more primitive ancestors but given their superficial similarity to us (Caucasians to be more exact) i find that unlikely.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Jericho wrote:That is very unlikely given the fact that the loroi have been around for atleast seventyfive thousand years prior to humanity ever existing. I suppose you could say they based them off our more primitive ancestors but given their superficial similarity to us (Caucasians to be more exact) i find that unlikely.
Allegedly. We also don't know if the present-day Loroi are the same as those ancient ones; that is, whether they experienced some independent evolution since the Soia cataclysm. Heck, for all we know, the Soia might have accelerated the rise of Homo to its present-day form as well.

Hopefully, the comic will address this puzzle at some point ;)