"Quantum Internet"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Suederwind

Re: "Quantum Internet"

Post by Suederwind »

Not directly related, but interesting:
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v ... 13.46.html

Air-to-ground quantum communication
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

So awesomely nerdy.
Suederwind wrote:Not directly related, but interesting:
http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v ... 13.46.html

Air-to-ground quantum communication
I really dislike paywalls, but satellite-based quantum key distribution is interesting. Maintaining a communication link, though, shouldn't be too difficult, as that's something we've been doing for decades with current satellites. Any quantum communication channel is still classical in the sense that it would be a laser beam or radio transmission. I see more problems with them keeping the quantum system stable during the launch and any subsequent attitude changes in orbit.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

Mr Bojangles wrote:
There are many, many, many schools of thought on how to map quantum mechanics to our understanding of reality. Check out this link for several interpretations: Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics.

So, don't feel bad about not getting quantum mechanics. Physicists that base their whole careers on this science scratch their heads more often than not. :D

Thanks for the link :)

I love the subject....just wish had a more developed understanding of it :)

Smithy

Post by Smithy »

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

I'll stick to gearboxes, clutches, high stress materials and all manners of mechanical trickery methinks.

Not to say I'm not keen on the ol' quantum physics, I always enjoyed the fact it didn't make any (classical) logical sense. The way you can strip the world away layer by layer is really quite exciting. Much like art really, the quantum level is just another flourish sown into the rich tapestry of the universe (Or conversely it is the tapestry everything else is sown into).

All I can say is I hope they keep up the good work!

discord

Post by discord »

or to paraphrase john ringo's looking glass series(or for that matter probably most quantum physicists at some point)

"so now you have survived the lecture, did you pass your SAN check?" referring to the RPG system known as call of cthulu, where when you encounter the weird stuff you need to roll a sanity check.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Mr Bojangles wrote:
So awesomely nerdy.
Did you see the rest of them?

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

fredgiblet wrote:
Mr Bojangles wrote:
So awesomely nerdy.
Did you see the rest of them?
Let's just say my employer should be more stringent with their firewall rules. :D

My personal favorite is "We are Star Dust". It never fails to awe me that a star had to be destroyed so that I could be here to ponder these sorts of questions. It's an inspiring, humbling symmetry.