Master of Orion 2 (and Space Strategy Games Discussion)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Re: Master of Orion 2 (and 4X Games Discussion)

Post by fredgiblet »

Karst45 wrote:but as long as you don't alt-tab you will be fine :)
I consider this a sign of carelessness and sloppiness myself. I will freely admit that I don't code, so I don't know how hard it is to make that work, but IMO the ability to Alt-Tab reliably should be considered essential in any game or other full-screen program.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Also watch your fleet, sometime they tend to just give themself order :S

i dont know if it because they try to regroup or one lone ship of the fleet encounter an ennemy and every ship want a pieces of it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Yeah... the level of automation in Stardrive sounds like it may have gone a bridge too far. I understand the desire for some automation in games of this type because of the inevitable late-game explosion of units and tasks, but I think it's often overdone. Games that play themselves aren't much fun.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote:Yeah... the level of automation in Stardrive sounds like it may have gone a bridge too far. I understand the desire for some automation in games of this type because of the inevitable late-game explosion of units and tasks, but I think it's often overdone. Games that play themselves aren't much fun.
well i dont see much automation, sound more like a bug to me, if you put a fleet there they should stay there (and attack what ever come close) unless told otherwise

but thing i like is the fleet management, you set your formation and just can requisition ship (aka build them at the most efficient shipyard) It help creat and maintain that deffence fleet, or planet destroyer

what i dont like, and found quite fun in SOTS and Master of orion2, was the limit in technologies. You could only ever use part of the tech tree and would have to make due with what you had.

in Stardrive, you cant research the whole tech tree, and so do you enemy, making the end game more about, what races have the bigger fleet. not the "i have fewer ship but STARCONVERTER BITCH!"

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Kerbal Space Program is 40% off on Steam until Monday morning.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

fredgiblet wrote:Kerbal Space Program is 40% off on Steam until Monday morning.
Already buyed it, it worth every cent and even more!

GO BUY IT!!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

FYI, Endless Space is 75% off on Steam today only,

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Not 4X, but Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 3, Planescape: Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil are all on sale for a total of $5 at GamersGate.

There's a collection of all, I think, Command and Conquer games on sale for $5 on Amazon as well.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Purchased endless space, now I begin the arduous journey of figuring out yet another space civ sim game mechanics. Oooooh joy.

It certainly looks impressive.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It looks pretty good so far. The production system is a bit obtuse, and I'm having some problems with the fleet system (multiple fleets in the same system can't seem to be combined when there's an enemy fleet in the system, so your fleets are attacked separately and so you can be defeated even when you grossly outnumber the enemy), but for the most part it seems to be one of the better space 4X games that I've seen recently.

discord

Post by discord »

arioch: actually they can, but only if two(or more) fleets combined are less than fleet cap size.
fleet size being a rather powerful factor in combat so they restricted it hard, not to mention too many objects would probably crash the 3d engine or something, but mostly it is a balancing issue.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (with Alien Crossfire expansion) is for sale at GOG.com -- definitely worth the five dollars for one of the best games ever.

NOMAD

HOMEWORLD REMASTERED

Post by NOMAD »

:D

Good news, gearbox (who took over THQ) is going to release a REMASTERED version of both Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with both being compatible with modern graphic sets, no social feature and choice of special edition content ( original HW1 or new HW 2 mothership). Seems some of the original staff will be working on the collected editions in audio and the cinematic. all I can say is WHO HOO :mrgreen: I don't follow the gearbox forums so this info is all I know ATM.

more info on the main site http://www.homeworldremastered.com/ :D

release date sometime in fall 2014.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

elorran

Re: HOMEWORLD REMASTERED

Post by elorran »

This has been floating around the web for a while now if you haven't heard about it already. At the moment their plan is to release a "classic" version of homeworld 1 and 2 that will run on modern systems, leaving most of the gameplay and all the known mechanics and exploits in place. Then at a later stage they'll release an (ultra) high definition version with updated textures, models, audio in some places and various bug and exploit fixes.

As far as we know homeworld cataclysms major files were lost and gearbox is unlikely to recreate it, which is unfortunate (whether you disliked cataclysm or not). But various things have been happening behind closed doors we've not been privy to so we may yet be surprised.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cataclysm was junk anyway.

elorran

Post by elorran »

Its something I hear often. Cataclysm seems to have been the love-hate offspring of the series. I personally enjoyed cataclysm for its diversity and darker storyline. Certainly it had its issues and didn't match the grandeur that homeworld set before it, but it was still enjoyable. Though as with anything, personal preferances.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

well I'm excited their an official announcement for this HD version. been wanting to play HW since I got my new main ( but OS system are obliviously different)
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

The original was always gorgeous, and though I'm sure they'll maintain the aesthetic, I am somewhat disappointed that this is all they've chosen to do with the franchise.

My hope is that this is simply the first move in a revitalization campaign: a way to build interest and currency for the brand before moving on to bigger and better things.

I guess we'll see, but Homeworld will always have a special place in my heart.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It is. Gearbox has tasked Blackbird Interactive (headed by former Relic art director Rob Cunningham) to create new Homeworld games. The first is a reskin of the Facebook-style game formerly known as Hardware: Shipbreakers, but it sounds like their ambitions go well beyond that.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

I remember hearing about that. I guess I'm having trouble connecting "Homeworld" with what I saw of "Shipbreakers," but I suppose it has potential.

Still, it's good to know that the old art director is at the helm and that they're working on additional projects. It's been a while since there was a successful space game—I think SotS was the last I played.