Master of Orion 2 (and Space Strategy Games Discussion)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Siber

Re: Master of Orion 2 (and Space Strategy Games Discussion)

Post by Siber »

fredgiblet wrote:I don't really care for PvP in general.

I may pick up the games, but it'll be campaign only for me.
Depending on mod support, there might be some expansion in multiplayer PVE in it. I've had a lot of fun lately with survival mods in supreme commander for instance.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Nemo wrote:Wasn't impressed with the 960. They're cutting performance to save tdp/wattage. That makes some sense for a laptop gpu, but on a full desk top card I want the power. Maybe the 960ti will fill that void, or maybe I'll wait another generation and see.
True enough, though there will doubtless be seriously overclocked cards that fill that void since the 960 apparently OCs VERY well.
Haven't had a Radeon card in many years. Their drivers were spotty at them time though I understand that has improved.
I keep hearing they've improved, then hearing something bad coming up. I only had one, I had no real trouble with it, but I'm primarily an nVidia man. The situation may change now taht all three consoles are using AMD cards.

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

Since I finally customized my computer a couple of years ago and put in an Radeon card, I have not had a single problem.

uthilian

Post by uthilian »

I just finished a upgrade of my system before x-mas
my new System
MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB
Kingston Hyper X Fury HX316C10FK2/16 16GB (2x8GB)
Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD (i wish i got a larger SSD now)
Corsair Carbide 400R Black Mid-Tower Case
Corsair CS750M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
LG CH12NS30 12X BD-R Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI Motherboard
Intel Core i5 4690
Western Digital WD Black 1TB (along with the 2x1.5tb drives from my old system)

Siber

Post by Siber »

Any of you folks have one of those fancy new 4k monitors?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

4K resolution for a computer screen seems kind of like those shavers with 5 blades... it's just overkill.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm not sure I would even be able to visually recognize the difference between 1080 and 4k, but I know my graphics card certainly would notice the difference. That's certainly one way to get people to buy the latest and greatest, most texture memory wasteful stuff around. :lol:

Siber

Post by Siber »

Bah. Luddites the lot of ya! Resolutions won't be high enough until we don't need AA anymore! ;)

Razor One

Post by Razor One »

Resolutions march on even if we don't. :P

That being said, can't wait for glorious updated Homeworld. The originals were gems which I am proud to own, and am happy to have in glorious high definition.

Hopefully Gearbox can get Homeworld out of the Valve rut and count to three. They'd have to be allergic to money and success not to.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It's funny, anti-aliasing is usually one of the first things I turn off when I'm setting my graphics options in a game. And from the perspective of someone who makes video games for a living, the higher resolutions become exponentially more cumbersome, both in terms of computation power, and disk space footprint. Especially when your app is something people need to spend time downloading.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well, its out and steam wont let me play. Content still encrypted, oy.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I am not certain the adaptive difficulty system is working correctly. Also captured two of two assault frigates attacking the cryo trays, but neither wound up under my control. I recall one frigate captured went to PLOT and subsequent captures went to your control, but it has been years.

Also the resource collector draws in 500 RU rather than 650. Formations do not hold in combat, fuel does not exist etc. And, as expected, I think it uses the HW2 combat rather than HW1 hit detection. So, remastered but also rebalanced.

I was never able to play enough of HW2 to make any comparisons.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Yeah, my take on it so far is that it's a very pretty game, and a very excellent remaster of Homeworld 2, but a very shoddy one of Homeworld 1. Perhaps they were too married to the idea of combined multiplayer? Or perhaps they simply didn't have the resources to see it through.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

It up now and working on steam as of 21:00 EST ( 8-14 GIG size, so get a good book or reread the original game manuals)

Played some of the H1 mission and few P vs CPu matchers and I must say the initial impression is that gearbox did a very good job ( as did the original Relic/Serria team). not sure if my computer is set up right but so far, other that some minor bugs ( IE no text subtitles for now) but minor things that don't effect me too much (the formations don't work so no more Sphere of deaths for RU collectors :( ) . Ur right Nemo about the H1 remaster using H2 engine and set up. I finds it not as difficult to get the controls.

as for the ships, :o OH MY SAAJUKU the new textures are great. The opening for H1 is so much more emotionally now.

@ Arioch: stupid question and I don't know it answered before but with this remastered release will Homeworld shipyards getting some updates some time in the distance future ? I know your focus is the getting the next Outsider content up and I don't want to distract from that goal but is it possible in the far far future.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

discord

Post by discord »

one thing i want to know..... is the arioch easter egg still around? since they remade the VA of HW2.....i really should check, but i want arioch to do the honors and tell us first.

minor peeve though, no UI scaling sliders.....i want to modify it slightly, some parts are too small, others too big.... minor annoyance.
and i wonder if those khadeshi ion ships are gonna be as OP as before....should check.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Perhaps they were too married to the idea of combined multiplayer? Or perhaps they simply didn't have the resources to see it through.
It may not have been feasible to bring the old HW1 engine into the modern age without rebuilding it from the ground up. Using the tools and source code I imagine making the HW2 engine tell the HW1 story was the more expedient solution.

It does look good, and I will grant the controls feel less clunky. Right click to move seems like it would be a simple thing to add into the HW1 engine and would go a long looong way to improving it.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

NOMAD wrote:@ Arioch: stupid question and I don't know it answered before but with this remastered release will Homeworld shipyards getting some updates some time in the distance future ? I know your focus is the getting the next Outsider content up and I don't want to distract from that goal but is it possible in the far far future.
I'm up to my eyeballs in work at the moment, so Outsider has to be my top "free time" priority. If there is a clear value to Homeworld Shipyard updates, eventually I will get around to it.
discord wrote:one thing i want to know..... is the arioch easter egg still around? since they remade the VA of HW2.....i really should check, but i want arioch to do the honors and tell us first.
It will probably be some weeks at the very least before I'm even able to play the remastered version, so I encourage you to find out for yourself. Since they have remastered the audio, and the HW2 bit that mentions me was in reference to my objection to Heidi Ernest's replacement in HW2 (and since Heidi was chosen to do the remastered audio), I would be very surprised if there is still any mention of me or the other community members in the remastered version.

discord

Post by discord »

arioch: shocking, it seems to still be there.....or kinda, kinda bugged or something, but it was definitely not the usual 'game over'.

Siber

Post by Siber »

Arioch wrote:I'm up to my eyeballs in work at the moment, so Outsider has to be my top "free time" priority. If there is a clear value to Homeworld Shipyard updates, eventually I will get around to it.
I've been putting some time into a program that makes a shipyards-inspired site from Homeworld 2 data files, with an example based on the mod I work on. There is setup required to get things looking good, but the whole point is to keep up with balance changes easily after that. It doesn't directly replicate Shipyards' layout or visual style, both for practical reasons and out of respect for the original, but it could potentially get a lot closer, and once I can crack open the HWRM.big file I'm going to be fixing any bugs new bugs with it and putting up a reference site for the new stats.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqDz4CmiKwo

Total Biscuit highly recommends it and calls it an ideal HD remake and how such remakes should be made.