Another batch of questions

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Whale

Another batch of questions

Post by Whale »

So, I recently found the comic, read trough it, read trough the background material, browsed the forum... Cool stuff. :)

And while reading and re-reading, I begun to wonder about certain things:

What does "ECS" mean? I don't think that has been said anywhere...

How Mizol rank progression works? I don't think it's practical for one to be a spy, then minor diplomat, then analyst and so on....

Tsunami seems to have a crescent moon painted on the engine pods. Is this a personal customisation or a unit citation? (And if latter, how does it relate to the name of the captain?)

How did Ashrain end up under the command of Stillstorm? Was it an administrative mistake or is any chance of an "accident" deemed theoretical at best, and Stillstorm is the best frontline commander?

Are TCA mass drivers coilguns or railguns or both? What's their rate of fire?

And last, but IMO not least, does TCA use manned space fighters? Like some sort of two-seater strike/drone control craft?

Beliskner

Re: Another batch of questions

Post by Beliskner »

Hi!
Welcome to the forum. As for your questions:

1.What does "ECS" mean? I don't think that has been said anywhere...
ECS or ECM? In second option it stands for "Electronic countermeasure" with is used to fool enemy sensors. ECCM stands for "Electronic counter-countermeasures" simply putting to counter ECM systems.

2. Are TCA mass drivers coilguns or railguns or both? What's their rate of fire?
Take a look at this page: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/weapon_profiles.html

It was said in the past that humans use coliguns rather than railguns. Although in my opinion Arioch proportions of the weapons are wrong. But it is just a personal opinion of mine.

3. And last, but IMO not least, does TCA use manned space fighters? Like some sort of two-seater strike/drone control craft?

If I remember correctly humans did not develop any manned fighters. I doubt they would be common in XXII century. I believe drone combat units would be more possible..

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Whale wrote:How did Ashrain end up under the command of Stillstorm? Was it an administrative mistake or is any chance of an "accident" deemed theoretical at best, and Stillstorm is the best frontline commander?
Ashrain requested a frontline assignment, I don't think it's been specified if she chose Stillstorm or not but if you ask for a combat-heavy assignment the raiding groups are where you'll end up.

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

I also get the impression that an "accident" would be rather an out of character action for Stillstorm, she seems rather a more direct personality.

Nick

Whale

Post by Whale »

Beliskner wrote:1.What does "ECS" mean? I don't think that has been said anywhere...
ECS or ECM? In second option it stands for "Electronic countermeasure" with is used to fool enemy sensors. ECCM stands for "Electronic counter-countermeasures" simply putting to counter ECM systems.
"ECS" as in the prefix of the hull numbers of terran warships.
2. Are TCA mass drivers coilguns or railguns or both? What's their rate of fire?
Take a look at this page: http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/weapon_profiles.html

It was said in the past that humans use coliguns rather than railguns. Although in my opinion Arioch proportions of the weapons are wrong. But it is just a personal opinion of mine.
No RoF listed for mass drivers. :P

Listed RoFs aren't in seconds/minutes anyway...
3. And last, but IMO not least, does TCA use manned space fighters? Like some sort of two-seater strike/drone control craft?

If I remember correctly humans did not develop any manned fighters. I doubt they would be common in XXII century. I believe drone combat units would be more possible..
IIRC it has been said that TCA uses unmanned fighters, but I don't think it has been said that manned fighters are not used...

And such craft would be command units for drones, they could form pickets light minutes away from capital ships... Also, more redundany for drone control.
captainsmirk wrote:I also get the impression that an "accident" would be rather an out of character action for Stillstorm, she seems rather a more direct personality.
But getting the gunnery officers to target her ship might be a bit difficult... :P

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Welcome to the forums, Whale.
Whale wrote:What does "ECS" mean? I don't think that has been said anywhere...
Officially, the meaning is unspecified. I think what I originally had in mind was "Earth Colonial Service," though by the time it occurred to me that it should be "Terran Colonial Service," it was too late to change it (and "TCS" is already pretty well known for being used in Wing Commander and other settings). I don't think Star Trek ever explained what "NCC" stood for, so it doesn't bother me much to leave it unspecified.
Whale wrote:How Mizol rank progression works? I don't think it's practical for one to be a spy, then minor diplomat, then analyst and so on....
The rank list focuses on shipboard titles, of which the Mizol have comparatively few. Lower-ranking Mizol operatives are sometimes covertly embedded in other castes, taking on the uniforms and titles appropriate to that caste, and may stay under cover for a long time, even through promotion cycles. Eventually they are recalled and take positions as analysts or shipboard officers similar to the post Tempo has. The diplomatic track is probably different from this, but not as different as you might think... the Loroi view diplomacy and espionage as essentially the same thing. "Words are tools of deception."
Whale wrote:Tsunami seems to have a crescent moon painted on the engine pods. Is this a personal customisation or a unit citation? (And if latter, how does it relate to the name of the captain?)
It's a unit citation, but the implementation was left up to the unit commander, and Moonglow chose to use her own personal device. Some might see that choice as an act of hubris (and they'd be right), but Moonglow knows her crew, and they love it.
Whale wrote:How did Ashrain end up under the command of Stillstorm? Was it an administrative mistake or is any chance of an "accident" deemed theoretical at best, and Stillstorm is the best frontline commander?
Ashrain requested a transfer to the fighting lines, and it's the raider groups that are always under-strength, so she was sent there. I can certainly imagine that someone in the logistics division felt that Ashrain's request represented "thrill-seeking" and resented that she should give up a much-coveted Teigo Enzin post, and so assigned her to the most dangerous raider group available (which just happens to be commanded by a personal enemy of Ashrain's great-aunt). Stillstorm certainly did not request Ashrain, but she would certainly not refuse her. She came with a ship, after all.
Whale wrote:Are TCA mass drivers coilguns or railguns or both? What's their rate of fire?
I don't have any details on the inner workings or specs of the Terran mass drivers at this time.
Whale wrote:And last, but IMO not least, does TCA use manned space fighters? Like some sort of two-seater strike/drone control craft?
No, the TCA small combat craft are all unmanned.

Whale

Post by Whale »

Arioch wrote:No, the TCA small combat craft are all unmanned.
Darn. :P

Well, thanks for the answers!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Arioch wrote: I don't think Star Trek ever explained what "NCC" stood for, so it doesn't bother me much to leave it unspecified.
Naval Construction Code : followed by the Serial Number.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote:
Arioch wrote: I don't think Star Trek ever explained what "NCC" stood for, so it doesn't bother me much to leave it unspecified.
Naval Construction Code : followed by the Serial Number.
There are several different answers, but none of them are canon (as far as I'm aware).

Whale

Post by Whale »

Quick follow-up: Are TCA fighters armed with KEWs or DEWs?

And is there an ETA for the next page? :P

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Terran drone craft would probably be armed with lasers and missiles.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Whale wrote: And is there an ETA for the next page? :P
After the Half Life 3 release.
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Ktrain wrote:After the Half Life 3 release.
TANGENT INITIATED!

At this point I'm expecting that HL3 will launch on Linux, gaben is pushing for Linux hard so I think it would be a brilliant move for that goal to launch what will probably be one of the most anticipated releases ever on the platform they want people to use first. Of course it means they won't get money as fast, but they aren't hurting for cash anyway.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Better tangent question: What does everyone think about Gearbox purchasing the Homeworld IP?
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Ktrain wrote:Better tangent question: What does everyone think about Gearbox purchasing the Homeworld IP?
Given Gearbox's recent non-Borderlands history I'd be very concerned if I was a big Homeworld fan. Thankfully I'm only a casual fan so I can await the potential trainwreck without concern.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

It sounded from the release like they were mainly interesting in reboxing and selling Homeworld 1 and 2. I doubt that more than that will come from it in the near term.

elorran

Post by elorran »

A shame really, though some good may still come of it if the games are released on services like steam. Hopefully get some attention and interest into the series and the genre at large.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Arioch wrote:It sounded from the release like they were mainly interesting in reboxing and selling Homeworld 1 and 2. I doubt that more than that will come from it in the near term.
Most likely, they are kind of stacked up at the moment with 2 Brothers in Arms and 2 Duke Nukems announced, plus the inevitable Borderlands 3.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Whale wrote:

I know I soooo wanted to play a TCA pilot ace in our Cydonia Rising game..lol! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Whale

Post by Whale »

sunphoenix wrote:
Whale wrote:

I know I soooo wanted to play a TCA pilot ace in our Cydonia Rising game..lol! :)
What about badass drone operator/*cough*RTS player*cough*?

:P