Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread 

Post Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread
Are there still Crusher-type vessels being built or operated, or were they banned following the TCA charter?
Another thing I've just realised looking at a map of TCA space is that about half of it is WAY outside the trade lanes to Aldeea and Esperanza (the half accessible through Alpha Centauri). What gives?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 am
Site Admin

Mr.Tucker wrote:
Are there still Crusher-type vessels being built or operated, or were they banned following the TCA charter?

Large, fast civilian vessels still exist, and it's still illegal to arm them, but now there is a military fleet to enforce this rule that outclasses them, instead of just smaller police frigates that couldn't do much more than yell "Stop! Or I'll shout 'stop' again!"

Mr.Tucker wrote:
Another thing I've just realised looking at a map of TCA space is that about half of it is WAY outside the trade lanes to Aldeea and Esperanza (the half accessible through Alpha Centauri). What gives?

I don't think I understand the question. The map represents a region that humanity has explored, and can sometimes be found operating in. Only six worlds in four of these systems have planetary colonies, but numerous others have small outposts, both temporary and permanent. Some will be TCA listening posts to monitor the frontier, some will be scientific expeditions to study different types of stars and planets, and a few will be commercial operations (probably most involved in resource gathering).

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 am
Profile WWW

I noticed in the ECS ship list that there was a jump from ECS 212 to ECS 214. Does it mean the TCA doesn't build ships with a '13' in their tag? Neither ECS 13 or ECS 113 seem to be in use as well.

Also, looking at their ECS tags, the heavy tug (Cavadini class) seem to be a recent addition to the Fleet and Scout Corps. Was/is there an older class of (less capable/smaller) tug vessels both services could/can use?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 am
Site Admin

GeoModder wrote:
I noticed in the ECS ship list that there was a jump from ECS 212 to ECS 214. Does it mean the TCA doesn't build ships with a '13' in their tag? Neither ECS 13 or ECS 113 seem to be in use as well.

Nah, ECS-213 Njeri is a Vance-class torpedo frigate, under construction. The other gaps are not with any intention in mind.

GeoModder wrote:
Also, looking at their ECS tags, the heavy tug (Cavadini class) seem to be a recent addition to the Fleet and Scout Corps. Was/is there an older class of (less capable/smaller) tug vessels both services could/can use?

Probably, although they may just have used converted vessels of other classes. I think tugs in this setting function more like tank recovery vehicles than our harbor tugs, which are probably not necessary (as all ships have maneuvering thrusters of some sort).

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile WWW

Arioch wrote:
Probably, although they may just have used converted vessels of other classes. I think tugs in this setting function more like tank recovery vehicles than our harbor tugs, which are probably not necessary (as all ships have maneuvering thrusters of some sort).

I guess a variant of this could be to drag cargo that is to large to fit inside a cargo bay. It may not be a good idea for FTL but within a system it should work. Let's say you want to change the orbit of a small space station more then it is advisable to use the thrusters for. An example of this could be that let's say a new station has been built orbiting Mars but the old one it replaces work just fine and would be an excellent fif it orbited Jupiter instead.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:24 am

Ah, totally forgot to update my ECS list with the one you posted at IceKatze's fanart thread, Arioch.

Looks like the ECS is going on a one-off building spree. Fire Support Destroyers with a Mjolnir particle beam cannon. Torpedo Frigates...
Can't imagine these kind of vessels to have much else in the way of weaponry, so they seem to be meant mobile fire-and-forget weapon platforms.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 am
Site Admin

GeoModder wrote:
Looks like the ECS is going on a one-off building spree. Fire Support Destroyers with a Mjolnir particle beam cannon. Torpedo Frigates...
Can't imagine these kind of vessels to have much else in the way of weaponry, so they seem to be meant mobile fire-and-forget weapon platforms.

Somewhat analogous to the WWII PT boats: minimal-cost torpedo platforms.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:50 am
Profile WWW

Why not just... like... Turn surface on evry usable planet between loroi, umiak and humanity into a radioactive hell with nuclear weapons (cobalt bombs or somthing like that), so they wont look in this direction?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am

"Wow, someone out this way was able to build and deploy a lot of nuclear weapons! That amount of industry could be useful."

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 pm

If there is no usable planets then it is 2 month to travel there, far from communications. ( And there is not gonna be any communication in the future, planets broken)
Completly uselles just because it is too far.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I think it's a safe bet that the radius out to which humanity can irradiate every useful thing into uselessness in a timely fashion is a much smaller distance than what is feasible for Loroi or Umiak scouts or couriers to cross if they get the idea that there in that direction is doing something very noticable and weird. This depends a little on just how tightly their industry is tied to having a habitable planet, which is not a detail I'm super clear on, but it's unreasonable to me to think that there is absolutely no room for habitat-based industry.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm
Site Admin

I have the feeling that encountering deliberately irradiated worlds would raise just the kind of interest that you don't want if you're trying to avoid attention.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

Just build a series of fake civilizations on every useful planet, then make it look like they killed themselves through self-irradiation that renders the planets useless.

Of course, if you've got the resources to build up whole fake civilizations on that kind of scale, I'm not sure why you'd be that worried about umiak and loroi incursions.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:21 am

Arioch wrote:
I have the feeling that encountering deliberately irradiated worlds would raise just the kind of interest that you don't want if you're trying to avoid attention.

Just send out loads of diplomats that you've recruited from psych-wards and insane asylums, induced to be suicidal, and loaded up with suicide pills, bombs and stowaway single shot pistols.

After the first dozen or so lunatics shoot themselves in the head in loroi and umiak foreign offices I'm guessing they'd write off the human sector of the galaxy as unnecessarily volatile, maybe publish up some interesting treatises on the matter and then put yellow tape around their nearest jump points.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:25 am
Site Admin

"We're insane and run around destroying worlds; please come annihilate us!" ?

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:23 am
Profile WWW

"Third time's the charm, eh?" Loroi High Command

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 am

Werra wrote:
"Third time's the charm, eh?" Loroi High Command

"Charmed, I'm sure." Terran diplomat

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Arioch wrote:
"We're insane and run around destroying worlds; please come annihilate us!" ?

Now where have I seen that before...

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Arioch wrote:

Another way could be to pretend to be weaker then you are so conquering you will get a lower priority while you arm up. Still, the British empire spanned the world in an era with no electricity and the travel time to some parts of it took months. In the worst case this tactic may even backfire and an invader may simply got for exterminate and replace rather then conquer and hire. Speaking of the British, there is a reason why there are so many Indians (from India, not native Americans) all over the world. As a conquered people they where easy to work with and have a natural resistance to the heat of tropical regions. And the Sikh make excellent soldiers!

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am

For some reason i only now start to think about it, but...
It looks like in outsider universe there is no real central goverment for humanity.
What if some of human nations will choose Loroi, and other will choose Umiak?
Civil war without end?

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Zorg56 wrote:
It looks like in outsider universe there is no real central goverment for humanity.
Civil war without end?

Strictly speaking, its through the TCA Humanity will side with one or the other. Individual nations probably don't have the means to make contact on their own with either the Loroi or Umiak.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm

GeoModder wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Civil war without end?

Strictly speaking, its through the TCA Humanity will side with one or the other. Individual nations probably don't have the means to make contact on their own with either the Loroi or Umiak.

Wakanda stands with the Umiak!

Would Johnny Bravo make a better diplomat to the Loroi than Alex? I mean, he's also blonde.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 pm
Site Admin

GeoModder wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Civil war without end?

And individual nations do not have much in the way of military starships that could independently participate in the conflict. Some nations might decline to support the war through funds, resources and industry if they don't like the TCA's choice (though they would probably face severe international sanctions if they did, as this would be a breach of treaty), but it's hard to imagine human nations declaring war on each other over the matter -- since none of them will know anything about the combatants except what they've been told by the TCA.

While the TCA is not an international government, it is authorized to negotiate with aliens on behalf of humanity. It is run by a council of delegates from the member nations, somewhat analogous to the UN Security Council (except with the means to enforce its resolutions).

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:19 pm
Profile WWW

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:
Zorg56 wrote:
Civil war without end?

And individual nations do not have much in the way of military starships that could independently participate in the conflict. Some nations might decline to support the war through funds, resources and industry if they don't like the TCA's choice (though they would probably face severe international sanctions if they did, as this would be a breach of treaty), but it's hard to imagine human nations declaring war on each other over the matter -- since none of them will know anything about the combatants except what they've been told by the TCA.

While the TCA is not an international government, it is authorized to negotiate with aliens on behalf of humanity. It is run by a council of delegates from the member nations, somewhat analogous to the UN Security Council (except with the means to enforce its resolutions).

I dont think that these ships that TCA have make any difference. As i can see they are too outdated to actually be used in this conflict.
But, how they dont know what alians are if they are in council that negotiate with them?
For me it sounds like "USA dont know about NATO plans". Absurd.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:29 am
Site Admin

Zorg56 wrote:
Arioch wrote:

But, how they dont know what alians are if they are in council that negotiate with them?
For me it sounds like "USA dont know about NATO plans". Absurd.

Unlike NATO, the TCA has its own independent military and intelligence gathering forces, and it's the TCA Scout Corps that is conducting the Alien Contact Mission; almost all information that Humanity has about the aliens has been collected by the Scout Corps, and the only means of communication with the aliens is through the Scout Corps' relays. As you can imagine, this information is classified. A report is made to the TCA council (in a similar way that classified reports are made by military or intelligence services to committees in the US Congress) so that it can make decisions, but this information is not supposed to leave the council room. There will be reports made to the various member governments and to the public, but these will be heavily redacted.

It is possible, I suppose, that one or more of the TCA council members might disagree with the decision of the majority so vehemently that he or she would leak classified information to their own governments and/or public, and persuade them to side with a different alien power than the one chosen by the majority. This would be a drastic thing to do, as the delegate(s) in question would probably be expelled from the council (and might face criminal charges), and any member nations defying the council's decisions (who would by definition be in the minority) would probably face treaty sanctions. So if, as a hypothetical, the special committee for the Alien Contact Mission decided to sign a treaty with the Loroi, and, say, Guatemala decided (for whatever bizarre reason) that they preferred to be Umiak subjects and declared war on the Loroi, they would have no way to communicate their intentions to the Umiak, and would have to deal with the international repercussions of violating the TCA treaty. It seems unlikely to me that human nations would be willing to go war with each other over aliens they've never met and know almost nothing about, but I suppose it's possible. I think it's more likely that Guatemala would be isolated by crippling political and economic sanctions.

The major powers' delegates on the council will have something akin to veto power, so I think it's unlikely that the TCA would be able to an take action that multiple major powers would be willing to defy with civil war. Especially since they all know that their only chance at survival is unity; if they can't agree on a side, then they may be committing racial suicide (as the Tithric did).

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next