Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

discord

Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Post by discord »

"and a high explosive round designed for use against unarmored targets and shore bombardment." <---- probably quite a lot of boom stuff in that one, only 69.67kg, but that is still lots of boom stuff.

moon: 1200kg and 820m/s equals 403440000 joules, and since joules and watt are pretty much the same thing really....or not, but still, whatever, too tired to write straight.
my bad, used incorrect data, the speed was for the lighter HE rounds while weight was for the super heavy AP, correct numbers are.

reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16%22/50_c ... Mark_7_gun <---- mark 8 super heavy shell
http://www.csgnetwork.com/kineticenergycalc.html <--- 1200kg and 762m/s = 348386400 joules or 348MJ.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.htm <--- correct ammo numbers

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Since we saw that Loroi have an interstellar shuttle, do humans have an interplanetary equivalent (like an Earth-Moon-Mars "airbus") ?

What about Evacuation pods ? They exist in this setting ? If they do exist, human's ships use them?

And repair drones ? Nowadays ROVs can make repairs at boats and platforms that humans cannot attempt. There is an equivalent in the battleships ?

What are the types of the human civilian vessels ? There are Fast Freighters carrying 300 tons, Haulers dragging 3,300 tons and/or Bulk Freighter that loads 20,000 tons of cargo ?

And the Colony Ship ? A massive vessel capable of carrying a compact city (colonists, heavy machinery, prefabricated buildings and supplies). There are any ?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Onaiom wrote:Since we saw that Loroi have an interstellar shuttle, do humans have an interplanetary equivalent (like an Earth-Moon-Mars "airbus") ?
I think the economical way to do it would be to have (2001 style) atmospheric shuttles that bring you into orbit, and then dedicated non-atmospheric orbital transfer vehicles that take you from station to station. There might be single-stage-to-moon vehicles, but I think they'd probably be luxury yachts for the very wealthy. The Loroi "Highland" shuttle is essentially the latter -- a VIP transport.
Onaiom wrote:What about Evacuation pods ? They exist in this setting ? If they do exist, human's ships use them?
Spaceships don't sink, so I don't think there's a strong need for lifeboats. But any large ship will surely have several utility shuttles.
Onaiom wrote:And repair drones ? Nowadays ROVs can make repairs at boats and platforms that humans cannot attempt. There is an equivalent in the battleships ?
I think it's logical to expect that repair crews will use a variety of tools, including ROV's.
Onaiom wrote:What are the types of the human civilian vessels ? There are Fast Freighters carrying 300 tons, Haulers dragging 3,300 tons and/or Bulk Freighter that loads 20,000 tons of cargo ?
Just as today, I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of different types of civilian ships.
Onaiom wrote:And the Colony Ship ? A massive vessel capable of carrying a compact city (colonists, heavy machinery, prefabricated buildings and supplies). There are any ?
The all-in-one colony ship sort of makes sense in a slower-than-light setting, or in a strategy game, but I don't think they're realistic. The cities in the New World were not created by "colony ships", but rather by multiple trips of many ordinary transport and cargo vessels.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Spaceships don't sink, so I don't think there's a strong need for lifeboats. But any large ship will surely have several utility shuttles.
Space is very dangerous. Spaceships don't sink, but they can explode violently. Bellarmine and Winter Tide are good examples.

Since humans are at TL10, it’s safe to assume that every (or most) of the technology of TL8 was mastered, miniaturized and can be mass product ?
For example:
- Fusion Power Cells are common. Vehicles, energy weapons and general machinery use them.
- Cybernetic organs and members can be easily created and used on medicine. Ships can monitor life condition of it host.
- Laser personal weapons are the standard now. Powered by fusion power cells, they can be deadly at any combat and range.
- Rail guns mitigate the previous chemical propelled weapons. Since they do not require chemical propellant, storing ammunition is safer and reduces the magazine weight and volume. Powered by Fusion power cells.
- Also, a soldier (in TCA case, a Marine) would typically wear a Combat Infantry Dress (possibly sprayed with ablative foam), a helmet with HUD and communicator, carries either a rocket carbine, military laser rifle or an assault railgun carbine. The rifle or carbine has an attached laser scope, with HUD sights, and probably a mini grenade launcher. For close combat, he/she uses a vibroknife.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Onaiom wrote:
Space is very dangerous. Spaceships don't sink, but they can explode violently. Bellarmine and Winter Tide are good examples.
If the ship is going to explode you probably won't get much advance warning, but if somehow you do, you can board a shuttle or get into a spacesuit as easily as you can get into an escape pod. Maybe if you were working in low orbit, some kind of pod that could survive reentry could be useful. But I don't see the advantage otherwise.
Onaiom wrote:Since humans are at TL10, it’s safe to assume that every (or most) of the technology of TL8 was mastered, miniaturized and can be mass product ?
For example:
- Fusion Power Cells are common. Vehicles, energy weapons and general machinery use them.
- Cybernetic organs and members can be easily created and used on medicine. Ships can monitor life condition of it host.
- Laser personal weapons are the standard now. Powered by fusion power cells, they can be deadly at any combat and range.
- Rail guns mitigate the previous chemical propelled weapons. Since they do not require chemical propellant, storing ammunition is safer and reduces the magazine weight and volume. Powered by Fusion power cells.
- Also, a soldier (in TCA case, a Marine) would typically wear a Combat Infantry Dress (possibly sprayed with ablative foam), a helmet with HUD and communicator, carries either a rocket carbine, military laser rifle or an assault railgun carbine. The rifle or carbine has an attached laser scope, with HUD sights, and probably a mini grenade launcher. For close combat, he/she uses a vibroknife.
As I mentioned in a different thread, I sometimes use GURPS terms to help describe stuff in my stories, but they are not set in any GURPS world or based on the technology in the GURPS books. Just because you see something in GURPS Ultra-Tech doesn't mean it's in Outsider.

There's a lot in this thread about the kind of technology humanity has, and the kind of weapons they use.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

As I mentioned in a different thread, I sometimes use GURPS terms to help describe stuff in my stories, but they are not set in any GURPS world or based on the technology in the GURPS books. Just because you see something in GURPS Ultra-Tech doesn't mean it's in Outsider.

There's a lot in this thread about the kind of technology humanity has, and the kind of weapons they use.
I noticed that Outsider setting has something in common with GURPS. You seem to disagree with some aspects and I want to know why. By no means I'm forcing you to accept that "Outsider is GURPS".

By the way, only the last topic was related with GURPS Ultra-tech. And in my opinion, that soldier was not so overpower.

I apologize if I said something that pissed you off.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Onaiom wrote: I apologize if I said something that pissed you off.
I'm not angry, and I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. I don't think I understand your question.

The list of Ultra-Tech gear you posted is not at all how a Terran marine would be outfitted. Humanity is at TL9 with a few experimental TL10 technologies (such as ship-scale particle cannons). They don't have pocket fusion reactors or gyrojets or vibroblades or cybernetic limbs. The standard weapons are still chemical slugthrowers. If your question is "why?", that's a pretty broad question. I think I've discussed almost all of these subjects in some detail in the earlier pages of this thread, but I'll be glad to answer questions if they are more specific.

McBobbish

Post by McBobbish »

The list of Ultra-Tech gear you posted is not at all how a Terran marine would be outfitted. Humanity is at TL9 with a few experimental TL10 technologies (such as ship-scale particle cannons). They don't have pocket fusion reactors or gyrojets or vibroblades or cybernetic limbs. The standard weapons are still chemical slugthrowers. If your question is "why?", that's a pretty broad question. I think I've discussed almost all of these subjects in some detail in the earlier pages of this thread, but I'll be glad to answer questions if they are more specific.
Why wouldn't they have gyrojets? I mean, we can make fancy things like gyrojets now, I mean, they were invented in the 60's if I remember correctly? Why not in the 22nd century or what ever this is?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

McBobbish wrote:Why wouldn't they have gyrojets? I mean, we can make fancy things like gyrojets now, I mean, they were invented in the 60's if I remember correctly? Why not in the 22nd century or what ever this is?
Why don't we have moon rockets these days? They existed in the late sixties/early seventies. ;)

NuclearIceCream

Post by NuclearIceCream »

The answer to both of those questions would be money.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

McBobbish wrote: Why wouldn't they have gyrojets? I mean, we can make fancy things like gyrojets now, I mean, they were invented in the 60's if I remember correctly? Why not in the 22nd century or what ever this is?
Gyrojets were tried a while ago and were found to be problematic. Making an entirely new type of weapon requires a major investor, the military decided not to pursue them, so the money to develop them disappeared. We're finally looking into new designs, but instead of Gyrojets the military is pursuing Caseless and telescoped polymer cased ammunition, which offer similar benefits to overall system weight, while not having nearly the same reliability issues.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Why do Terran vessels have an 'external' bridge? (The sketched cruiser on the Terran & Umiak Ships page with the Big Ass Gun for example.) Is it assumed that anything capable of killing the spacecraft would destroy a bridge anywhere it was placed? What about small craft armed with weapons that can damage glass? Is it for assisting with docking maybe?

I'm fairly sure the Loroi vessels have internal bridges somewhere near their centre of mass. Its why they have that massive battlespace projection overhead rather than windows. Not that you'd neccesarily need to be able to see outside given the ranges they'd be fighting at.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

NuclearIceCream

RedDwarfIV wrote:Why do Terran vessels have an 'external' bridge?
I think its because the Terran Military ships were mostly built for show and were never really meant for fighting anything as well armed as they are.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

I think the disconnect lies in the difference between a "bridge" and a "CIC." Arioch, obviously, is the final authority, but I believe that Terran vessels follow the same architecture that our own naval warships do: the bridge is an observation point, while the CIC is a hardened space where the vessel's commander directs it during combat.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

NuclearIceCream wrote:The answer to both of those questions would be money.
The fact that it hasn't been adopted should be the clue. My understanding is that gyrojet ammunition was more expensive, less reliable, and not significantly better than ordinary ammunition. High-tech weapons actually have to be an improvement to be adopted.

Smart ammunition is already here, not in gyrojets but in explosive rounds that can be timed to detonate to damage targets around corners or behind cover. The problem is figuring out how to let the bullet know when to detonate. Currently the system involves carrying around a laptop with the gun... it's usable in support situations only, when you have almost total control of the battlefield. It's not something you can control shooting from the hip. Weapons get smarter, but it's not clear how the human is supposed to control them without becoming part of the weapons system.
Military vessels will have a command center deep inside the vessel, as well-protected as it can be. But, as today, there may be windowed observation ports that may be useful for close-in maneuvers, or even just for viewing pleasure. But just because you see windows doesn't mean that's the bridge.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

The big advantage to Gyrojets was supposed to be low recoil and light, cheap guns. A rifle firing Gyrojets could be smoothbore and very light without compromising accuracy or controllability.

Of course not long after the Gyrojet thing started the M-16 was adopted which was lighter and had lower recoil than the M-14, giving some of the benefits without the detriments of the Gyrojet. Now we've got the LSAT program running which will give us lighter and more controllable ammo again, the Gyrojet thing just isn't promising enough.

NuclearIceCream

I recall hearing the gyro-jet gun was supposedly going to be an astronaut weapon to shoot space commies. I guess the recoil was supposed to be low enough that firing it in the low-g orbit environment wasn't dangerous for the shooter. I will confess that I don't care to much for the thing so I've never done any research on it.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

Arioch wrote:
Military vessels will have a command center deep inside the vessel, as well-protected as it can be. But, as today, there may be windowed observation ports that may be useful for close-in maneuvers, or even just for viewing pleasure. But just because you see windows doesn't mean that's the bridge.
The bridge was labelled as such on the drawing.

Out of interest, why were the Bridge crew... you know, on the Bridge when they were observing the first battle seen in the comic? I know it ultimately didn't help any, but you'd think they might have moved to CIC if the Bridge was primarily for maneuvers and observation. Or were they in CIC and those were screens showing space in front of them? For 'windows', they did seem fairly straight compared with those on Bellarmine's rounded nose...
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

McBobbish

Post by McBobbish »

Arioch wrote:
NuclearIceCream wrote:The answer to both of those questions would be money.
The fact that it hasn't been adopted should be the clue. My understanding is that gyrojet ammunition was more expensive, less reliable, and not significantly better than ordinary ammunition. High-tech weapons actually have to be an improvement to be adopted.

Smart ammunition is already here, not in gyrojets but in explosive rounds that can be timed to detonate to damage targets around corners or behind cover. The problem is figuring out how to let the bullet know when to detonate. Currently the system involves carrying around a laptop with the gun... it's usable in support situations only, when you have almost total control of the battlefield. It's not something you can control shooting from the hip. Weapons get smarter, but it's not clear how the human is supposed to control them without becoming part of the weapons system.
Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking of them deploying gyrojets for everyone, just for more specialized roles like zero-g combat.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

RedDwarfIV wrote:Out of interest, why were the Bridge crew... you know, on the Bridge when they were observing the first battle seen in the comic? I know it ultimately didn't help any, but you'd think they might have moved to CIC if the Bridge was primarily for maneuvers and observation. Or were they in CIC and those were screens showing space in front of them? For 'windows', they did seem fairly straight compared with those on Bellarmine's rounded nose...
Bellarmine is a small vessel that is not, strictly speaking, military. The bridge and CIC are the same thing, and not as well-protected as one might expect of a true warship.